• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Eternal Darkness

Eternal Evil
I'm getting Sonic classic collection because I can't get them off of VC.

Chris

Old Coot
I'm getting Sonic classic collection because I can't get them off of VC.
There's always...

-Genesis Carts
-Sonic & Knuckles Collection (PC)
-Sonic Jam (Saturn)
-Sonic Mega Collection (GameCube, PS2, Xbox)
-Sega Genesis Collection (PS2, PSP)
-Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (PS3, Xbox 360)

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
You say that like it's a bad thing.

But I thought Sonic Jam was a different game all on its own? Or does that game come with the Genesis games as a bonus?

Chris

Old Coot
Actually, Sonic Jam is a compilation of all of the main Sonic games with a 3D world hub to either play the games, watch videos ranging from Japanese commercials to the intro to Sonic CD to mini-animations, as well as reading info regarding Sonic's history.

The 3D world hub was basically a test to see how Sonic would work in 3D environments. This was the starting point for Sonic Adventure.

Killer_Squirtle

Follow my lead!
Oh! you know what would be cool? A guitar hero rip-off sonic game based on the Sonic Underground series! Coolest. game. ever!

Sonic adventure 2 battles is one of my favourites, but sonic the hedgehog 2 was a game my brother and I spent hours playing when we were little :3 fond memories...

Electivirus

Not really, no.
Actually, Sonic Jam is a compilation of all of the main Sonic games with a 3D world hub to either play the games, watch videos ranging from Japanese commercials to the intro to Sonic CD to mini-animations, as well as reading info regarding Sonic's history.

The 3D world hub was basically a test to see how Sonic would work in 3D environments. This was the starting point for Sonic Adventure.

Huh...the more you know.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter

Pretty neat then. I guess the short 20 second portion about Sonic Jam in the "Sonic's History" movie in Mega Collection, as well as videos HERLS posted some time ago that featured some mini-missions in a Jam level, made me believe otherwise.

It would explain why I've never heard of any plot in this game anywhere, at any rate.

Wat.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I have a question.

Out of the two, which one do you think is better, Sonic Mega Collection, or Sonic Mega Collection Plus.

I heard some people say that the original Mega Collection was better because the PS2 had emulator difficulties and the bonus content in the original was better than Plus.

What is your opinion?

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
The Boss theme also reinforced that idea for me; it wasn't as jumpy as 2's and 3's boss theme, it was like "holy ****, that's the bad guy!" the Final Boss theme played that part well too.

the final boss theme in Sonic 2 didn't do this for you?

It'll likely go the Sonic Rush route, and offer dual screen capabilities, as you weave up and down the stage, up and down the screens.

It'd also be pretty cool if they went KSSU, and provide 3D cutscenes when appropriate: Sonic 2's ending (something similar to this awesome rendition), When Sonic hitches a ride on Eggman's ship to reach the Death Egg in Sonic 2, Sonic 1's ending, Sonic running up Sky Sanctuary's tallest tower as it's crumbling to reach the Death Egg, both of Sonic and Knuckles's two endings, etc.

And hopefully they'll improve on the game so that Tails can actually beat Sonic 2.

aside from portability, adding content like that (along with other stuff, like Spin Dash in Sonic 1 and game saves while not fucking up the emulation this time) is the only reason people who already bought one of the five or so other collections or got them on the Virtual Console should even bother buying it. Of course, they should allow both the original 2D and updated FMV footage viewable so as not to piss off nostalgics. It works that way in the Chrono Trigger re-releases and Kirby Super Star DX.

BTW, since when is Sonic 2 impossible to beat with Tails? So far as I remember, his jumping height's the same as Sonic's, and it's not as if Sonic is capable of turning Super due the lack of rings in Death Egg, so really, Tails is on the same level as Sonic there (hell, I recall years ago, I beat the game with him first). Knuckles is the one who's nearly impossible to beat the game with.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
the final boss theme in Sonic 2 didn't do this for you?

It did, but it's the final boss theme. It's supposed to be tense. But the way Sonic 1 handled it, it felt like it was tense all the time.

BTW, since when is Sonic 2 impossible to beat with Tails? So far as I remember, his jumping height's the same as Sonic's, and it's not as if Sonic is capable of turning Super due the lack of rings in Death Egg, so really, Tails is on the same level as Sonic there (hell, I recall years ago, I beat the game with him first). Knuckles is the one who's nearly impossible to beat the game with.

The problem with Tails comes in Wing Fortress Zone. Once Tails defeats Eggman's laser system in the cockpit, Eggman takes off in his rocket. But as Tails tries to pursuit, Sonic conveniently moves away just enough to the right that Tails misses the jump onto the wing of the Tornado. I remember asking "what the hell?" when this happened, and wasted all of my lives trying to repeat the same thing over and over, to no avail.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
The problem with Tails comes in Wing Fortress Zone. Once Tails defeats Eggman's laser system in the cockpit, Eggman takes off in his rocket. But as Tails tries to pursuit, Sonic conveniently moves away just enough to the right that Tails misses the jump onto the wing of the Tornado. I remember asking "what the hell?" when this happened, and wasted all of my lives trying to repeat the same thing over and over, to no avail.

I don't recall this happening with me (well, maybe once or twice... it's been years since I played the game). I guess you're running into a glitch.

Chris

Old Coot
I have a question.

Out of the two, which one do you think is better, Sonic Mega Collection, or Sonic Mega Collection Plus.

I heard some people say that the original Mega Collection was better because the PS2 had emulator difficulties and the bonus content in the original was better than Plus.

What is your opinion?
People forget there was an Xbox and PC port of the game. PS2 version was bugged with emulation problems, but the Xbox version are the definitive versions as they include the extras of Plus and the proper emulation. PC is flawed by having the terrible PAL 50Hz speed, so everything's slowed down.

For those unaware, here is the music from Sonic the Hedgehog in PAL format: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiEyLz8LtWw

And here's the original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-78CMKME4o

Also, the last Japanese version of StH is used for SMC Plus, so no insta-death glitch when bounced onto a set of spikes after being hit. Plus the clouds in Green Hill Zone move on their own rather than staying stationary.

mew_nani

Uh... You lost me.
sorry I'm late. It took a little while to get on the computer. haha...

anyway, now I can finally answer this:
BTW, what are some of the other Sonic games you have Nani? I'd definitely recommend Sonic DX and Sonic & Knuckles (or the Mega Collection compilation, which has all of the old Genesis Sonic games).

the only sonic game I have on Genesis is StH2, since it came with the Genesis. I never had a chance to play any of the later sonic games (or the original Sonic the Hedgehog)
untill I got gems collection. (I still haven't got around to playing the demoes yet.) On gems collection, I played every one of the games featured except for vectorman. (and vectorman 2.)

Those are the only ones I have, since I either can't find or can't affoard any more. (which sucks.)

Its nice that the're making a port for DS. I just hope they make it good.... and don't ruin anything.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
The only worthwhile game Gems Collection had was Sonic CD. The others are the spin-offs Sonic the Fighters and Sonic R. I don't recall Vectorman being available on Gems Collection either.

I think you might be talking about Sonic Mega Collection Plus.

I don't recall this happening with me (well, maybe once or twice... it's been years since I played the game). I guess you're running into a glitch.

What could be the glitch that could cause it then? Getting all the Chaos Emeralds with Tails? :p

I can't think of anything that could cause Tails to commit suicide each and every time. Maybe it has something to do with the porting onto the Gamecube.

Dragonite19

Dragonite Fan
It did, but it's the final boss theme. It's supposed to be tense. But the way Sonic 1 handled it, it felt like it was tense all the time.

Really? Huh, I've never heard of that happening Then again, I never played the game as just Tails.

Dragon Master Fiona

Dragon Master
I didn't care for Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure *prepares to get shot* But I'm glad they are releasing a Sonic Collection game to the DS. I might add that to the list of games I want in the future.