• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Honestly, both of these games confuse me. I'm not normally one to care about graphics, but what is the point in making a game purposely have bad graphics? As for the other game, it seems really random to bring back Classic Sonic, especially when they specifically stated that this is not Generations 2.

I do have some hopes for the second game, as it looked like it actually had some story going on, unlike the past three Sonic games. The only disappointment about it so far is that it wasn't Adventure 3, but I fully admit that wasn't likely.

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
Also worth noting that this Sonic game is not developed by Sonic Team at all.

Outside of Sonic Genesis none of the ports and 2D games in the recent history were developed by Sonic Team, IIRC.

Anyways:

Sonic 2017:
-Classic Sonic can dash, you can see it at the end of the trailer.
-The robots look like a hybrid between the Death Egg Robot and Sonic Riders:Zero Gravity robots. So I'm guessing Classic and Modern Eggman are still working together.

Sonic Mania:
-Holy **** other characters. I mean, sure, Whitehead's other ports have included them, but still, he is getting away with a lot at this point. Classic Amy when
-Not sure how the drop dash mechanic will work. Then again, I just tend to spam spin dash and/or jump in classic Sonic titles.

TrainerCami

Could care less about Mania since I have hated most of the 2D Sonics only enjoying Rush which could be argued to not be a 2D Sonic.

I wonder if Sonic 2017 is hitting NX or if it will skip it for some reason.

Vipsoccermaster

Could care less about Mania since I have hated most of the 2D Sonics only enjoying Rush which could be argued to not be a 2D Sonic.

I wonder if Sonic 2017 is hitting NX or if it will skip it for some reason.
It is indeed hitting NX in Holiday 2017. The NX logo was at the end of the trailer.

And yeah, while it seems like Generations 2, it's not a sequel at all. The director confirmed that.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
So it's generations 2 but not generations 2?

TrainerCami

It is indeed hitting NX in Holiday 2017. The NX logo was at the end of the trailer.

And yeah, while it seems like Generations 2, it's not a sequel at all. The director confirmed that.

Ah somehow missed it. I guess this confirms NX being the final name since it would be weird to show it here and get another name in a few months.

BCVM22

Honestly, both of these games confuse me. I'm not normally one to care about graphics, but what is the point in making a game purposely have bad graphics?

This doesn't make a lot of sense. What do you mean by "purposely [have] bad graphics"?

I guess this confirms NX being the final name since it would be weird to show it here and get another name in a few months.

It doesn't confirm that at all. They had to call it something for purposes of announcing the game would be developed for the system and there's literally no other name by which to call the system at the moment - they're certainly not going to put "NINTENDO's NEXT GEN SYSTEM" in block lettering next to the logos for the PS4 and the Xbox One, are they?

It's possible NX could end up the final name, but not terribly likely, and this has no bearing on it either way.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
This doesn't make a lot of sense. What do you mean by "purposely [have] bad graphics"?

I think he's talking about how Mania is intentionally emulating the Classic games' graphical style. Mania actually looks like something we could've seen on the Genesis.

BCVM22

That's erroneously equating a very intentional stylistic choice with being "bad." I hope we don't have to sit down and have a class discussion about this?

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
That's erroneously equating a very intentional stylistic choice with being "bad." I hope we don't have to sit down and have a class discussion about this?

Well, I mean in general people expect a certain degree of modernity in graphics nowadays. I'm not particularly bothered by it, I've always been one for gameplay over graphics, but I can see why many people would be upset to see a game on a modern console intentionally look like something from 20 years ago. It could be considered a waste of potential.

That being said, it makes a lot more sense when you consider who's working on it. The developers of this game for the most part are well known for making Classic style ports and fan games, so they're more well-versed in the Genesis style and more comfortable with that than modern graphics. It looks like a fan game because that's basically what it is, an officially licensed fan game made by reputable indies in the community.

BCVM22

"Officially licensed fan game" is a contradiction. Once you're officially licensed, you're not a "fan" in that definition anymore. Just call it what it is, that being a retro Sonic game not being produced by Sonic Team.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
"Officially licensed fan game" is a contradiction. Once you're officially licensed, you're not a "fan" in that definition anymore. Just call it what it is, that being a retro Sonic game not being produced by Sonic Team.

I know it is technically, but the point is that's the style and level of quality you're getting out of this game. Just saying it's a retro game doesn't really convey that, Sonic 4 is retro and that game has a completely different style and feel to it.

Everlasting

Everything stays.
I'm not normally one to care about graphics, but what is the point in making a game purposely have bad graphics?

How does Sonic Mania 'purposely have bad graphics' ? Returning to the 2D side-scrolling platforming playstyle while keeping the classic sprite artstyle does not make the game any less beautiful. It just falls under another type of artistic beauty.

I mean...

[IMG139]http://static5.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1551/15511094/3098798-sonicmania05+(1).png[/IMG139]

This looks really good.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
So I take it you didn't enjoy Rush either.
Without any use of hyperbole, Sonic Rush Adventure is probably my favorite Sonic game.

I really can't think of a Sonic game that I enjoyed more, though Generations was really fun, and I liked how the history of Sonic was tied together.

As for the Genesis games, I think Sonic 2 was actually the most enjoyable for me. The Eggman boss music is my jam!

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

Bolt the Cat pretty much explained my thoughts, but what I meant is they are purposely using graphics from 25 years ago that have been rendered completely obsolete. Maybe bad isn't the right word, but it was the best I could come up with.