• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic the Hedgehog Discussion

Ascended Dialga

The Sonic Central today was pretty disappointing, but I'll definitely get Sonic Colors Ultimate when it comes out. I've never played the original version for the Wii, but it's a really good game from what I've heard. As for that brief teaser at the end, rumors and leaks are suggesting that it's going to be an open-world Sonic game called "Sonic Rangers". I'm taking it all with a grain of salt, but if it is an open world Sonic, I'd be interested to see how it goes.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Might have to get Sonic Origins, esp. if Sonic CD has the Japanese soundtrack (or both).

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I have wanted to play Colors for a couple of years now but could never find a copy. I’m glad that I have a chance to play it now.

Pokemon Power

I'm thinking about getting Sonic Colors Ultimate on day one. It'll mean that I can sell the retail copy of the Wii original and have more physical space for my game disc collection, and more digital space on my Wii U. Also, I'm hoping the Sonic Origins Collection comes to Switch, because then I can play Sonic CD and Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the go.

Captain Jigglypuff

I’m thinking of getting the Deluxe Digital package for Sonic Colors Ultimate. I like the idea of bonus content and the movie related powers seem interesting. I’ll get Sonic Origins as well if it comes to the Switch. I have the Sonic Collection on the DS which has the Knuckles version of Sonic 3 but I’ve never got to play CD and I’ve always wanted to do so without paying an arm and a leg to pay for a Genesis with the CD add on plus the game or XBox 360 so late. And my PS3 won’t read any discs now and the digital store is now deactivated. So the Switch is my best chance at playing Sonic CD.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'd have to see what the new content is for Colours, but atm leaning toward skipping. I certainly enjoyed playing the original game, but I have a bad enough backlog already (and others games I'm interested in), so not convinced to double dip here yet.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
It's official. Sonic Frontiers, a new open world Sonic game, is coming Holiday 2022 on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PC.

Open world Sonic could be really good if done right, but like... SEGA. Don't screw this up for once.

Morax

King of heroes
It's official. Sonic Frontiers, a new open world Sonic game, is coming Holiday 2022 on PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PC.

Open world Sonic could be really good if done right, but like... SEGA. Don't screw this up for once.
I remember playing sonic adventure dx : director’s cut as a kid. Wasn’t that open world? I loved it.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I'm actually looking forward to it, it looks beautiful!

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I remember playing sonic adventure dx : director’s cut as a kid. Wasn’t that open world? I loved it.

No, not really. Adventure had sandbox hub areas with linear levels you could play through, it was more like Super Mario 64. This looks to be more like BotW or Bowser's Fury, one large, free roaming world (although according to rumors there are still linear levels that can be accessed from the open world).

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
It was level to level, so not really open world. Tbh I'm kinda worried for this one since due to how bad Forces was, but I am admittedly intrigued

KillerDraco

It was level to level, so not really open world. Tbh I'm kinda worried for this one since due to how bad Forces was, but I am admittedly intrigued
Honestly, I don't think Forces was that bad. I know some people like to treat it like it's the second coming of Sonic '06, but in all honesty my biggest gripe with Forces was that it was decisively mediocre, especially in comparison to the massive marketing campaign Sega gave it leading up to its release. The hype was through the roof for Forces and it ended up being pretty meh. But it was at least playable and did have some fun moments, even if Classic Sonic levels were bland and felt shoehorned in, and Infinite deserved better.

I'm willing to keep an open mind. I know "lol sonic games bad" is a big meme on the Internet but games like Colors, Generations, and even Unleashed have been enough to keep me willing to give Sonic games a chance. Here's hoping they can realize their vision with Frontiers, because Sonic's high emphasis on mobility and speed feels like it would work well with Open World.

Oh also I changed the capitalization on the title of this thread because it was driving me bonkers.

Morax

King of heroes
I know "lol sonic games bad" is a big meme on the Internet but games like Colors, Generations, and even Unleashed have been enough to keep me willing to give Sonic games a chance
Honestly i say your average sonic game is much more enjoyable than any pokemon game post-RSE but that’s just me.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I want to be hyped for Frontiers but after Lost World and Forces, I’m being extremely hesitant especially with them not showing any gameplay. Ian Flynn being confirmed to be involved is good news though as I was tired of the extremely flanderized plots since Colors. Not really a fan of open world games but I’ll reserve judgement until actual gameplay is shown

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Honestly, I don't think Forces was that bad. I know some people like to treat it like it's the second coming of Sonic '06, but in all honesty my biggest gripe with Forces was that it was decisively mediocre, especially in comparison to the massive marketing campaign Sega gave it leading up to its release. The hype was through the roof for Forces and it ended up being pretty meh. But it was at least playable and did have some fun moments, even if Classic Sonic levels were bland and felt shoehorned in, and Infinite deserved better.

My issue with Forces was its level design, it was so dull and unmemorable and designed more like Colors with lots of 2D blocky platforming that seemed to slow you down. I've seen a lot of people say they hate the story, and I don't really get it, I just thought the levels were boring and lacking that Sonic charm.

Captain Jigglypuff

My issue with Forces was its level design, it was so dull and unmemorable and designed more like Colors with lots of 2D blocky platforming that seemed to slow you down. I've seen a lot of people say they hate the story, and I don't really get it, I just thought the levels were boring and lacking that Sonic charm.
I thought it was okay but I just couldn’t get into the game that much

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
The best part about forces to me was the character that you had the option of customizing. Outside of that? I didn't really like Classic Sonic's physics (He controlled way better in Sonic Generations), and there's something about Modern Sonic that rubs me the wrong way. I can't really elaborate, but it feels like he plays worse than in previous games.

Not only that, but Sonic Forces also felt like a really short game to me. I completed it in under 5 hours.

I want to be optimistic for Frontiers, I really do, but you can't be too sure anymore thanks to the series constant rough patches.