• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic the Hedgehog Movie

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Since it's video game adjacent, I figured a thread about this movie belonged here.

If you haven't seen yet, they just dropped the first trailer for the upcoming Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

From what I've seen across the internet so far, this is an extremely unpopular opinion, but I think this looks fine. Yes, it could be better. Yes, I'd rather Sonic and Eggman look more true to their actual designs, but it doesn't look look like a bad movie either. Really, the character designs are just about the only thing I can actually fault the movie on, and character designs alone don't make or break a movie. And honestly, I don't think either Sonic or Eggman look all the bad. Sonic was certainly a shock at first, but other than simply being different (which is to be expected from a live-action adaptation), there's all that bad about the design.

So personally, I'm excited for this movie, and think it's good so far.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It's an abomination that looks like it will set back video game movie adaptations for several years to come... So I'm definitely gonna go see it on the first night when it comes to my theatre. Who else will lol?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Guess I'm going to be "that guy."

It's an abomination that looks like it will set back video game movie adaptations for several years to come...

What specifically is it that makes it an abomination? What are your reasons?

It's today's Super Mario Bros. Movie.

Even if you want to say the movie is bad, I don't think that's fair to say at all, at least until the movie comes out. At least these characters kind of look like their video game counterparts, unlike the Mario Bros movie. And the Mario movie was plagued by problems in the story, none of which seem apparent here, yet.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
At least these characters kind of look like their video game counterparts, unlike the Mario Bros movie.
Only one is Sonic, and that's a long stretch.

Jim Carrey looks NOTHING like Dr. Eggman outside of his business suit. He looks like your strange Marvel movie villain reject. Even though he doesn't look anything like Eggman, the fact it's Jim Carrey is the only thing salvaging this movie.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Why are Sonic's gloves a part of his body?

Yeah, that's my least favorite part of his design.

And why are his legs still weird?

I'm not sure why people focus on his legs. Sonic is an anthropomorphic hedgehog. That means he's supposed to look like a hedgehog made to look like a human, so it's only logical that a live-action movie would give him human-like legs. Yes, it's different from what we're used to, but that's to be expected from this sort of thing. It's just like how Psyduck was given more realistic duck legs for Detective Pikachu.

Not a hedgehog that I could see living in the real world unlike the Pokemon shown in Detective Pikachu!

To be fair, Pokémon fill the role of animals relatively easily, and therefore can be placed in the real world without too big of an issue, while Sonic is stuck in an awkward position between human and animal, making him harder to integrate.

Jim Carrey looks NOTHING like Dr. Eggman outside of his business suit. He looks like your strange Marvel movie villain reject. Even though he doesn't look anything like Eggman, the fact it's Jim Carrey is the only thing salvaging this movie.

I think he looked pretty good in the one scene at the end of the trailer. Obviously this is some kind of origin story. If he ends up looking like Eggman in the end, does that not excuse him looking different earlier on? I'd agree with you if it weren't for that one scene.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Watches trailer
YOU FRICKING FRICKS! WHEN WILL YOU LEARN! THAT YOUR ACTIONS! HAVE CONSEQUENCES!

shoz999

Guess I'm going to be "that guy."

What specifically is it that makes it an abomination? What are your reasons?

Even if you want to say the movie is bad, I don't think that's fair to say at all, at least until the movie comes out. At least these characters kind of look like their video game counterparts, unlike the Mario Bros movie. And the Mario movie was plagued by problems in the story, none of which seem apparent here, yet.
The entire movie trailer doesn't give me any good impressions. The big one obviously is Sonic is not designed the way fans or even the team behind Sonic want and this really shows in the scenes that shows off Sonic stretching, screaming and sitting in the car. Also I'm not sure what's with the teleporting rings, electric quills and unlike some other fans who are trying to be positive, I thought the transition from Sonic jumping out of the car into his spin attack wasn't good. I also feel like Jim Carrey is not really playing Eggman but just playing himself again even though the last scene of him actually looks like a legitimately good Eggman. Unfortunately the most accurate part of what the movie trailer has captured of the Sonic series, and really shows that Sega has no idea what to do with Sonic in the modern ages, is the government/military scene which I assume represents GUN from the games and will probably hint at Shadow in sequels.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The entire movie trailer doesn't give me any good impressions. The big one obviously is Sonic is not designed the way fans or even the team behind Sonic want and this really shows in the scenes that shows off Sonic stretching, screaming and sitting in the car. Also I'm not sure what's with the teleporting rings, electric quills and unlike some other fans who are trying to be positive, I thought the transition from Sonic jumping out of the car into his spin attack wasn't good. I also feel like Jim Carrey is not really playing Eggman but just playing himself again even though the last scene of him actually looks like a legitimately good Eggman. Unfortunately the most accurate part of what the movie trailer has captured of the Sonic series, and really shows that Sega has no idea what to do with Sonic in the modern ages, is the government/military scene which I assume represents GUN from the games and will probably hint at Shadow in sequels.
if it's GUN, then it'll be the first time since 2008 (sonic chronicles) that they've appeared in person

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I like Jim Carrey as Dr. Robotnik. Sonic's ok. But so far.... this will be a rental movie for me.

Red and Blue

Well maybe the second trailer will look better. I remember people were turned off from Detective Pikachu after the first teaser.

Wonder if they will have any other Sonic characters outside of Sonic and eggman?

shoz999

if it's GUN, then it'll be the first time since 2008 (sonic chronicles) that they've appeared in person
I definitely think it's GUN because why else would you put this Michael Bay-style military/government scene in a Sonic movie lol? Also because of that, I think they are going to introduce Shadow, well Paramount's take on Shadow lol, in a possible sequel since SEGA has never actually changed Shadow's canonical origin story where GUN plays a major role in.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The big one obviously is Sonic is not designed the way fans or even the team behind Sonic want

I totally agree that it's different, and people don't want different. But is it really different in a bad way? Is it not something we can get used to, like we did with Boom Sonic? I saw a lot of fill-in-the-blanks back when they showed the silhouette that looked a whole lot worse. And unlike, let's say, Bowser (or rather Koopa) from the Mario Bros movie, at least you can look at movie Sonic and definitively say that it is Sonic.

Also I'm not sure what's with the teleporting rings,

Teleportation rings are actually canon already.
Sonic-Mania-Special-Stages-Guide-Giant-Ring-Chemical-Plant-Zone-Act-2-2_0.jpg

electric quills

I don't think it's the quills themselves that are electric, but rather Sonic creates some sort of bio-electricity from his super speed and his quills have residual energy left over in them. Yes, we've never seen anything like this in Sonic, but what's wrong with it? Especially since this is exactly what we see already with another speedy hero, The Flash.

It's my prediction that the discovery of Sonic's bio-electricity is what leads Eggman to make robots powered by animals. Makes a whole lot more sense when you think about it like that.

I also feel like Jim Carrey is not really playing Eggman but just playing himself again even though the last scene of him actually looks like a legitimately good Eggman.

I definitely see Jim Carrey "playing himself," but at the same time, I think it's a pretty good fit for Eggman. After all, he's an ego-maniac with a ridiculous and over-the-top personality. That's basically what we're seeing with Carrey, even if it's not in quite the same way we're used to.

Unfortunately the most accurate part of what the movie trailer has captured of the Sonic series, and really shows that Sega has no idea what to do with Sonic in the modern ages, is the government/military scene which I assume represents GUN from the games and will probably hint at Shadow in sequels.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I am totally down for GUN and Shadow. Not a bad thing in the slightest, if you ask me.

Wonder if they will have any other Sonic characters outside of Sonic and eggman?

I hope so, but I'm going to guess not. If they played any sort of major role, we probably would have seen them here. Best case scenario, we probably get either Knuckles/Tails or Shadow in a sequel tease scene at the end. It seems that this movie is doing the same human world/Sonic world split that Sonic X did, so it would be really easy for them to simply say that all of Sonic's friends are still in his world, and then bring them over for a sequel.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I just want to say that coming off the heels of Detective Pikachu, Sonic looks like he came straight out of a 2006 film and not 2019. Like yikes.

2006? Is that a double meaning I detect?

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Honestly, I'm not sure whether to like it or to hate it. On one hand, it's so bad that at times it makes me want to laugh and other times the movie just looks too weird to me. The thing that bothers me the most is Sonic himself. No, it's not the shoes, or the fact that he doesn't have gloves or anything, but mainly the eyes. I know it's such a small detail, but it's just something that drives me crazy and it's something I have to look at for most of the movie.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

I think what I like the most about this film is the overwhelming negativity it has been receiving. The dislikes are even greater than the likes on youtube