• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic the Hedgehog Movie

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Have you guys heard the news about the Sonic redesigns? I'm not gonna lie, I thought it was actually pretty weird that the director actually listened to the overall negative criticism from the fans and is going to do something about it during movie production. I mean it's good news, no it's fantastic news but it's also a "Whut?" moment because movie studios don't typically listen to fan criticism during film production, maybe after but not during, especially for a video game film adaptation. Honestly I feel like an jackass for poking fun at the Sanic movie after hearing how committed this movie director seems to be to the project. Sonic redesigns are happening, I'm actually pretty excited for the Sonic movie now.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Good on them to redesign Sonic. The fact that they are actually listening to the fanbase makes me happy. I wish more companies would be like that. Jim Carey as Dr. Egg Man will be fun. That's just my opinion anyways.

shoz999

I feel bad for the poor VFX artists now, because the Sonic movie might try and copy the video game crunch method.
Your talking about at the last second, video game teams try to pull that "video game magic" to fix and finish everything up in short time hoping things will turn out fine right?

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Your talking about at the last second, video game teams try to pull that "video game magic" to fix and finish everything up in short time hoping things will turn out fine right?
Don't forget studios that force constant crunch to keep a game running, like Epic Games(Along with every Tencent-owned-or-shareheld studio), Netherealm, Konami, Bethesda, and every Activision-Blizzard and EA one.

Live Services are a scam.

shoz999

I thought @bobjr here was possibly referencing that Bioware story about how they've been crunching a lot about their successful games and it just doesn't work with today's heavier and complicated resources anymore, putting a lot of stress on people which may be similar to what's happening for this movie.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
It’s an industry wide problem now, not just confined to one or two studios. Especially because the execs and heads aren’t the ones doing the work, and people who work in games don’t have great worked protections and there’s a lot of things like contractor abuse.

Sucks because after about 45 hours of work in a week you start making more mistakes that cost time anyway.

bobjr

Staff member
I don't get why they're bothering. That movie is never going to be a widescale success. It exists for the sonic people who won't care, bored parents who need to shut kids up for 2 hours, who won't care, and the trainwreck seekers, who if anything this makes them less likely to see it. Everyone complaining about how creepy Sonic looked wasn't going to see it regardless.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
God this movie is going to flop so hard critically but still make so much money... it's almost upsetting honestly.

I'm probably going to still see the trashfire in cinemas and contribute to that disappointment.

shoz999

I don't get why they're bothering. That movie is never going to be a widescale success. It exists for the sonic people who won't care, bored parents who need to shut kids up for 2 hours, who won't care, and the trainwreck seekers, who if anything this makes them less likely to see it. Everyone complaining about how creepy Sonic looked wasn't going to see it regardless.
Considering that the Director is going to change Sonic's design and they made the wise move of moving up the date, I'm actually not only excited for the Sonic Movie but this might actually help cement that Video Game Adaptations can work very well as good movies. I know there's Detective Pikachu but one movie isn't quite enough, people still thought superhero movies were bad even after Sam Raimi's Spiderman and Noland's Batman.

bobjr

Staff member
Adding at least 25% to the budget in exchange for fixing a problem that probably can’t be solved I just don’t see how it suddenly makes people want to see it who weren’t going to see it before.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I was afraid this was going happen when they sad they would redesign Sonic. Feels like I've been waiting for this movie so long, it's sad to have to wait that much longer. Oh well, hopefully the redesign will look good, and the wait will be worth it.

What I'm most afraid about all this is that it's not going to make any difference. Everyone hating on the movie will already be set in their ways and refuse to change their minds, even if the redesign does look more like what they wanted.

Still iffy about making the rings far more important to collect than the Chaos Emeralds, though.

Not that I wouldn't rather have the plot revolve around Chaos Emeralds, but I'm willing to bet that they'll either be a plot twist in this movie, or focus of the sequel you know they're already planning. If neither of those are the case, then yeah, that's pretty silly.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Hey, at least he's wearing gloves. Also something something still has blue arms.

Fixing(?) Sonic's design won't save the boring and generic buddy-cop plot, but the fact that they're willing to take their time and not potentially run their animators ragged shows some promise, I guess.

Hopefully once the inevitable sequel comes out (because it's Sonic; I won't be surprised if it does well regardless of any quality), it'll be far more closer to the games. With Tails and maybe Knuckles/Amy/whoever, please. I want my two-tailed buddy.

God this movie is going to flop so hard critically but still make so much money... it's almost upsetting honestly.

I'm probably going to still see the trashfire in cinemas and contribute to that disappointment.

Just like the games! This movie is more accurate to the source material than we realized.

shoz999

Hey, at least he's wearing gloves. Also something something still has blue arms.

Fixing(?) Sonic's design won't save the boring and generic buddy-cop plot, but the fact that they're willing to take their time and not potentially run their animators ragged shows some promise, I guess.

Hopefully once the inevitable sequel comes out (because it's Sonic; I won't be surprised if it does well regardless of any quality), it'll be far more closer to the games. With Tails and maybe Knuckles/Amy/whoever, please. I want my two-tailed buddy.

Just like the games! This movie is more accurate to the source material than we realized.
latest

I hope we get to see everyone's favorite Sonic character, Big the Cat! It'll be two action-packed hi-octane thrilling escape fantasy hours of fishing for Froggy in his spin-off debut.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."

I'm dead from my sides being launched into orbit. This is going to either be Paramount's best decision, or the worst mistake of their long existence.

Granted, it's actually cool that they're listening to criticism and aren't calling the fans names, but this isn't a decision they're taking lightly. This is going to make or break everything.

Red and Blue

If characters like Tails, Knuckles, Amy etc. actually show up in the film before the sequel they should consider redesigning them as well