• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic the Hedgehog Movie

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Now that Sanic is back I can finally say... this movie still kind of looks like your run-of-the-mill kids movie with probably a fart joke and a pop cultural reference no one asked for to be thrown in there because that's what we adults think what kids want right lol? I'm still going to check it out though.

Pokemon Power

Since we see a bit of Sonic's world in the trailer I hope we stick around long enough to see Sonic's other friends before he heads to our world
They probably wanna just focus on Sonic and the evil Dr. Eggman, just like they did with the very first game. Who knows, maybe if it's good enough to get a sequel, maybe we'll see Tails.

Red and Blue

So
Tails does make a cameo appearing in our world during a mid credits scene. Makes me wonder if he had a bad design as well before the first trailer came out

shoz999

Just to make this clear to anyone who passes by here...

THE SONIC MOVIE IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME FILM ADAPTATION AND BEST KIDS MOVIE BY FAR THIS YEAR!
What do I mean by best kids movie? Remember when a lot of Mario fans were worried when they heard that Illumination Films, the minds behind The Secret Life of Pets and Despicable Me, were helming the Mario Film Project. There is a reason why and although those films by Illumination that I mentioned aren't bad, they were filled with non-stop pop cultural references and lazy trendy jokes that were clearly put in there in attempt to appeal to the mythical perception of what a millennial is supposed to like. You know that one old dad stereotype where they say "Radical! That is so jelly! Am I right gals?" and the daughter is just rolling her eyes because most kids these days don't actually speak like that? That is basically Illumination Films, they are the old dad of film studios trying to get with the times. So many studios are so focused on appealing to this false perception that they just forget how to have fun, that you can understand why Pokemon and Sonic fans were worrying over Detective Pikachu and the Sonic movie before it released all because they saw a fart joke in a clip or a trailer. Thankfully this isn't the case for Sonic.

Sonic is by far a kids movie full of cliches such as the power of friendship trope but it is an awesome kids movie that wears its cliches like a badge of pride, respecting its audience while knowing how to have a lot of fun with the Sonic material that anyone who is a PARENT should bring their kids to this film so they can have one hell of a memorable childhood growing up. Now if you are an adult, you will enjoy this because as I said this is a kids movie that respects its audience and the best kids movie are the ones that respects it audience, including giving even adults an enjoyable time. Remember The Secret Life of Pets? Saw plenty of kids enjoying the jokes at times but the parents were yawning over these forced jokes. Sonic the Hedgehog Movie? They were laughing and smiling, this one guy was especially bursting with joyful laughter. Now of course, the video game fans. You will freaking love it. I enjoyed Detective Pikachu but as a movie on its own, it felt okay. Now Sonic? This is how a video game film adaptation should be. So many producers often forget that adapting a video game into film format is like adapting the trilogy of Lord of the Rings into a short novel and although Sonic is often light on story, it is heavy on lore and characters that film studios still need to tread carefully. Thankfully Sonic the Hedgehog restrains itself in order to not flabbergast it's audience with the heavy Sonic lore, focusing on a tightly-knit story of a Hedgehog escaping the clutches of a mad scientist while also showing just enough lore and world-building around Sonic's world not to confuse you but to draw even those unfamiliar with the series a little closer in to what the world of Sonic is about.

Give this film a chance. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.

With that being said, this never appears in the Sonic films but I know my Sonic lore and I'm thinking the second Sonic film is going to be centered around...

The Chaos Emeralds.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I really liked the movie. Not that I was expecting to dislike it, but I also wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. It was just an all around fun experience. It wasn't really the Sonic from the games, but he was still very much Sonic nonetheless. Even taking away any of my bias as a Sonic fan, I thought the movie was an all around solid piece. So good on them, can't wait for the sequel. I love that we're finally starting to get good video game movies. This is great.

Speaking of, as far as the obvious comparison to Detective Pikachu goes, I don't think I enjoyed this as much, but I think it might have been the better movie for a non-video game fan.

The one thing I wish this movie had more of was easter eggs and references. In addition to the handful we already new about from the trailers, there were only a couple of small ones, perhaps there was some really well-hidden ones, but who can say.

Pokemon Power

OK, I've seen it. I will admit, the plot was a little bland, but the film made up for it with awesome performances. Ben Schwartz did a pretty good Sonic, and Jim Carey did a pretty good Dr. Eggman. I especially liked the bar fight scene. It shows how fast Sonic can really be. Plus...
They played the Green Hill music near the end. I thought that was a nice touch.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord

That's insane. I can't believe this beat out Detective Pikachu. I'm not surprised because I thought Detective Pikachu was so much better, but rather because Pokémon as a franchise is so much more utterly massive than Sonic, I would just expect a Pokémon movie to naturally pull better numbers than a Sonic one. Insane.

You know what? This is proof that there is no such thing as bad publicity. I am willing to bet this movies successes is largely due to media saturation it received due to Sonic's original design. Everyone may have been hating on the movie back then, but it was all free advertising, putting the film on everyone's minds.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Now that Sanic is back I can finally say... this movie still kind of looks like your run-of-the-mill kids movie with probably a fart joke and a pop cultural reference no one asked for to be thrown in there because that's what we adults think what kids want right lol? I'm still going to check it out though.
Not that it was that big of a guess but it’s still funny to me that you got this right to a T

shoz999

main-qimg-883b490535737b8a7429ec604336efcb

One thing I feel that has to be mentioned is that another big surprise is how the Sonic movie manage to adapt Dr. Eggman really well or as the movie refers to him by his classic name, Dr. Robotnik. A lot of fans probably ask themselves how would they bring Sonic to the big screen but have you ever asked yourself how would you bring Dr. Eggman to the big screen? How do you put a slow and fat cartoonishly round scientist with a scruffy mustache under his huge red nose, a character inspired by Teddy Roosevelt into a live-action film and tell younger generations of kids that this is "gotta go fast" Sonic's archnemesis? For a lot of people, I'd imagine Jim Carrey wouldn't be the answer before the film launches but oh my god, he freaking nails the role really well that it will remind you of Jim Carrey's better and more memorable work from the 90s. In some ways, it is like this role was made for him and he's not even that familiar with the games. There are times you will be thinking that Jim Carrey is just playing Jim Carrey but as you watch the hate-worthy Dr. Eggman fight Sonic, that is where you can really tell... holy ****. The guys behind the movie really know their Sonic. Whether you have low or high expectations of the villain Dr. Eggman, he will no doubt surprise you. This really is the Dr. Eggman from the games.

This part is spoilers but not even a lot of Sonic fans know this...

... but Dr. Eggman can actually fight and you can see this a few times in the Archie Comics but the reason why it's so rare is that the majority of the cast of Sonic & friends are these animals with super powers. Dr. Eggman is a human being who relies heavily on technology to do the work to defeat superpower animals and in the movie, there are a couple of rare scenes where you see a regular human being can't stand up to Dr. Eggman so easily without getting hit back.

Another thing I have to mention is that this is frequently mentioned but I'm not sure if it's confirmed. Sonic jokes a lot how Dr. Robotnik is a robot and that reminded me of the Archie Comics where the comics changed the classic Dr. Robotnik to the modern Dr. Eggman by having Robotnik roboticized, turned into a robot and it got me thinking at the end of the film. Are they going to do Robot Dr. Eggman? Is that how he's going to survive the mushroom planet because he's a robot? Also, Eggman's robots are in the film of course but they aren't referred to as Badniks, the robots piloted by trapped animals in the games. They are referred to as simply drones but these drones have such an egg-like feel to them from the games including this tank-like drone which just spits out robot after robot after robot like the actual classic Eggman bosses from the games. That's when I realized, yeah! The guys behind this film know their stuff, that is Eggman. That is definitely Eggman!

Another thing I have to mention is that because this was clearly setting the tone of a children's film early on, I thought they were just going to gloss over the fact that in the film, Sonic is so fast that time seems incredibly slow and come up with some plot-armor for Eggman to show that he can somehow magically hit Sonic without ever explaining but holy crap... they didn't went that route. They went the extra mile to show that Dr. Eggman is indeed Sonic's archnemesis and they do this by having Dr. Eggman study Sonic's quills which is full of energy that makes Sonic go fast and he uses this quill to power up his machines to actually catch up to Sonic like in the GAMES! HOLY CRAP! I didn't think they would do that and I liked how that although Dr. Eggman is a genius, Sonic still has the advantage in terms of how fast he can react when running at his fastest in the movie, performing a lot of moves that you also see in the 3D Sonic games.

I am freaking loving the movie's portrayal of Dr. Eggman. This is Eggman even though he still doesn't quite look like his classic or modern take... UNTIL... they once again went the extra mile lol... to show that this is indeed the Dr. Eggman in not only the feel but the look as well. He looks like Dr. Eggman from the games at the end of the movie, the big scruffy mustache, red nose, the fat egg-like gut. He looks like that Dr. Eggman and it is freaking awesome.

Last edited:

Red and Blue

Something that's been confusing me lately is that people are comparing this film against Birds of Prey. And wanting it to do better than that film for some reason. Bizarre

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Something that's been confusing me lately is that people are comparing this film against Birds of Prey. And wanting it to do better than that film for some reason. Bizarre

Well, they're both in theaters at the same time, so it's not that strange to discuss how they compete with each other, but yeah, you probably shouldn't be comparing an R-rated movie to the family-friendly Sonic movie. I mean, I want it to do better than Birds of Prey, but that's only because I despise the R-rated comic book movie trend that's been becoming popular lately, so I just don't want those to do well to begin with.

juiccbox

Idiot Extraordinaire
Just came back from it, it was alright. I wasn’t expecting anything great (it didn’t blow my mind) but it did make me laugh and jim carrey was absolutely fantastic in it. He just stole the show as robotnik. I was expecting something a little different but it’s a great kids movie. Unfortunately my best friend who’s a diehard sonic fan didn’t like it, but he’s picky with these sort of things. Lots better than what the original trailer made it out to be, and the ending definitely sets it up for a really good sequel. Overall it wasn’t too bad, but nothing that blew me away.

Also why does sonic floss WHY DID HE HAVE TO FL

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
So um... I actually REALLY liked the movie. Like... Surprisingly so. I've always been a Sonic fan but when the trailers dropped for this movie I thought it looked like utter trash. Like every other bad, lazy kids movie from the modern era. This is not the case.

Both me and my boyfriend (we saw it for valentines) were super happy with it and walked out happy that we saw it together. The only real issues I had with it are;

- Sonic's portrayal is a bit... Wonky? So he's still assumedly 15 but acts like an 8 year old...? And his knowledge of the world is sketchy. Like he'll make jokes or mention things that imply he knows more about Earth than his story dialog suggests. This isn't a deal breaker by any means and by the next movie it won't mean anything since it can be assumed Tom taught him more in the time between. It did take me out of the movie on occasion though.

- Robotnik... Straight up, I don't like Jim Carrey. I haaaaaate movies where he just does the 'Jim Carrey thing'. He isn't playing Robotnik, he's playing Jim Carrey in most other movies. His tone just doesn't fit into this sort of world and I really dislike his character.

- The pacing. This movie MOVES SO FAST. Plot beats happen waaaaay too quickly and I get that it needed to happen like that but goddamn movie, take a breath.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
Saw it last night. I loved it.

The con for this movie is...THE FLOSS.

Heeeeeeeeey Tails is shown and he looks fantastic! I'm ready for the sequel.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
That was surprisingly fun, Sonic was likable, Tom wasn't terribe, Robotnik was phenomenal (and I liked how we got bits of his backstory through his dialogue while he acts like a condescending jackass toward the others), the Easter eggs (that I could catch) were great, I think this was a fine movie. It's actually a good sign that this is doing well (ignoring the critics), it shows we got people who actually care working in the film industry now. The fact that the director managed to get permission to fix Sonic's design at the risk of costing more money wasn't a red flag at all, it was a sign that they were listening to feedback. They probably were also hurting for money and didn't want to risk a fallout, but I'm glad they held it off at the risk of stressing out the animators.

I know everyone made fun of it when it was first coming out, but I'm glad it proved itself to be better than expected. The sequel should be promising.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
So no Shadow the Hedgehog?

Not in this movie, but if you ask me, it seems like extremely obvious material for a sequel, since it's only natural to assume that Robotnik would try to duplicate Sonic's powers after everything that happened.

I've certainly got my fingers crossed.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Yeah, I can see Shadow being at least alluded to in the next movie, but I see Metal Sonic happening more tbh.

Also, if Shadow ever shows up, he totally needs to say "Where's that damn fourth Chaos Emerald???"