• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic the Hedgehog

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Or maybe people dislike Sonic because he's a dated character? Or because the franchise has been milked over and over and has produced plenty of bad games? Or because it has one of, if not the worst fanbase in existence? Believe it or not, people might actually have a legit reason to dislike something and not because they want to look good in front of their peers.

That's the thing. No one mentions them anymore. But Sonic fans just got to keep him relevant for whatever reason. Why'd this thread get posted? Because there wasn't a Sonic thread and golly gee we just can't have that.

Yeah, but that's the thing: Those bad games weren't recent. I can understand people saying a franchise is dying if its releasing bad games, but its daft to say something is dying because it released bad games at some point in its past. It feels like that no matter what Sonic does, even if his new games are genuinely enjoyable, people just go lol nope sonic 06 franchise dying forever.

And as for being dated or milked, a hell of a lot of franchises are like that and people don't give them anywhere near the flak sonic gets.

(And lastly you and I can hope as much as we want but a lack of new sonic games won't kill the worst bits of the sonic fandom by any stretch of the imagination.)

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Yeah, but that's the thing: Those bad games weren't recent. I can understand people saying a franchise is dying if its releasing bad games, but its daft to say something is dying because it released bad games at some point in its past. It feels like that no matter what Sonic does, even if his new games are genuinely enjoyable, people just go lol nope sonic 06 franchise dying forever.

And as for being dated or milked, a hell of a lot of franchises are like that and people don't give them anywhere near the flak sonic gets.

(And lastly you and I can hope as much as we want but a lack of new sonic games won't kill the worst bits of the sonic fandom by any stretch of the imagination.)

Couldn't have said it better myself, to be honest.

As for why people want anthro games back specifically. Because there isn't a whole lot of decent new anthro characters showing up in the video game universe, but a lot of human characters, most of which are basically the same guy in a different outfit.

I want a new "Blinx The Time Sweeper". Not because it's a game containing "ANTHROPODS", but because it was a game I enjoyed. If the specific quality they want in more games is "Anthro characters"well, then that's really just a shallow aesthetic view on what makes video games good to them.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

Unleashed is kinda recent, and that was the last bad game in the series.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I want a new "Blinx The Time Sweeper". Not because it's a game containing "ANTHROPODS", but because it was a game I enjoyed. If the specific quality they want in more games is "Anthro characters"well, then that's really just a shallow aesthetic view on what makes video games good to them.

I think what a lot of people want when they say "more anthro games" isn't so much more anthro games, but more GOOD ones. Even if the game stars an anthro character, if the game sucks, the game sucks. Honestly, though, I've noticed the plea for them a lot less then I did about five years ago. Maybe cause there actually is a few good ones.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior

I was listing reasons why people could dislike Sonic, not that "the franchise is dying because it had bad games." That's something entirely different.

You've heard of "The Sonic Cycle" right? If not here's a breakdown:

"This is the typical sonic cycle these days

1. New info release of new Sonic game, people say it’s gonna be Sonic’s comeback.
2. More or less, hype is generated as info, screens, vids, etc. releases.
3. Game comes out, it ends up like mediocre-****. People say nothing can save Sonic.
4. Go back to #1"

This text was posted right near the tail-end of the stream of notoriously crappy Sonic games, in 2009 when The Black Knight was announced. It made its way around the internet, became popular, became a meme, blah blah blah. The reason why of course was because it was the truth. People got themselves hyped and disappointed. This is not so much the fault of the games (besides being mediocre themselves) but the fans got way too excited. They hoped that Sonic games could become just as good as they were in the "good ol' days" back on the Genesis. After the constant disappointments, that's what gave the franchise the reputation it has now. The constant attempts at trying to become cool and popular and edgy and hip and relevant again were working against it and were actually kind of funny.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that Sonic was only okay/average to begin with. So the screaming fans wanting back their glory days seem kind of silly to me. The constant need these people see to keep their relic alive is laughable.

Like?

It wouldn't hurt would it? But hey, I'm a wishful thinker. I still know there's next to no chance of that happening in the first place.

Rezzo

Occasionally
You've heard of "The Sonic Cycle" right? If not here's a breakdown:

"This is the typical sonic cycle these days

1. New info release of new Sonic game, people say it’s gonna be Sonic’s comeback.
2. More or less, hype is generated as info, screens, vids, etc. releases.
3. Game comes out, it ends up like mediocre-****. People say nothing can save Sonic.
4. Go back to #1"

This text was posted right near the tail-end of the stream of notoriously crappy Sonic games, in 2009 when The Black Knight was announced. It made its way around the internet, became popular, became a meme, blah blah blah. The reason why of course was because it was the truth. People got themselves hyped and disappointed. This is not so much the fault of the games (besides being mediocre themselves) but the fans got way too excited. They hoped that Sonic games could become just as good as they were in the "good ol' days" back on the Genesis. After the constant disappointments, that's what gave the franchise the reputation it has now. The constant attempts at trying to become cool and popular and edgy and hip and relevant again were working against it and were actually kind of funny.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that Sonic was only okay/average to begin with. So the screaming fans wanting back their glory days seem kind of silly to me. The constant need these people see to keep their relic alive is laughable.

Sonic can survive almost anything if he can survive the onslaught of 2006-2009 releases. That said, so can the fans

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
Or maybe people dislike Sonic because he's a dated character? Or because the franchise has been milked over and over and has produced plenty of bad games? Or because it has one of, if not the worst fanbase in existence? Believe it or not, people might actually have a legit reason to dislike something and not because they want to look good in front of their peers.

That's the thing. No one mentions them anymore. But Sonic fans just got to keep him relevant for whatever reason. Why'd this thread get posted? Because there wasn't a Sonic thread and golly gee we just can't have that.

Actually, I wanted to increase my post count. :) Having said that, I don't think a character needs a new game every year to remain relevant. Sonic is relevant because he was a major part of video game history. It's like Atari. What have they done recently? Nothing significant, but they're still a relevant part of gaming because they helped shape the history of gaming.

On that note, let's move away from this "When will there be a new Sonic game?! / Why does it even matter?" nonsense. What was the first Sonic game you played?

Zazie

So 1991
Actually, I wanted to increase my post count. :) Having said that, I don't think a character needs a new game every year to remain relevant. Sonic is relevant because he was a major part of video game history. It's like Atari. What have they done recently? Nothing significant, but they're still a relevant part of gaming because they helped shape the history of gaming.

That's a pretty good way of putting it, for pretty much any video game franchise.

On that note, let's move away from this "When will there be a new Sonic game?! / Why does it even matter?" nonsense. What was the first Sonic game you played?

The first game I played was Sonic CD for PC. I still have the game, but sadly it doesn't work on newer version of windows. There is supposed to be a patch for it, but I could never get it to work.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!

I played the series in a very odd order, but I did at least start with the first game. My parents have an old sega mega drive in the attic. After that, I think I played Sonic Advance and Sonic Heroes?

Born Better

God of Lightning
My first sonic was adventure 2.Took a few years to beat it because I didn't know about Knuckle's underwater thing.

Recon

Adventure 2 was the first one I played, then I moved to Heroes and Sonic Battle. Tried Sonic Chronicles, couldn't get into it, a pretty bad RPG IMO.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I kind of started out in a weird way with the series.

My friend convinced me to buy Sonic Riders and later Shadow the Hedgehog.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
I started out in the good-ol Genesis days, with Sonic the Hedgehog for the Genesis being my first. Kind of the same with Pokemon.

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.

Haunter ゴースト

I started with Sonic Adventure on the Dreamcast, then Sonic Adventure 2 on the same console.

After this Sonic Heroes, Sonic 1, 2 and 3 (megacollection), Shadow The Hedgehog, Secret Rings, Unleashed, 2006, Generations.

It roughly went in that order.

aloasa

The sound of drums
I have only play Sonic Adventure 2 Battle fully and Sonic 06 parcially and I enjoy both, Sonic 06 is one of those games that are so bas they are good, so yeah I actually like the game