• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic the Hedgehog

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Is there something wrong with that? Seriously, stop bullying.

No, I was just asking.

Yes.

And from what I've seen, it is probably one of the worst Sonic games ever. Even without the ghosting, it's pretty sparse.

I hear the Game.Com overall was a pretty bad console. I do remember that it has two game-slots and a touch screen, but the games for it are mostly awful from what I know.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Hm, my first was the good ol' Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on the Genesis. And like many people, the Chemical Plant's water part became one of my earlier gaming rage moments. Even though in hindsight, it doesn't seem like it was THAT hard... how times change.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I hear the Game.Com overall was a pretty bad console. I do remember that it has two game-slots and a touch screen, but the games for it are mostly awful from what I know.

The Game.Com had some interesting features (i.e. those that you mentioned), but it had rather poor specs, was very large (and decently heavy as a portable gaming system goes, I think) and, as mentioned, suffered very heavily from ghosting, meaning that moving pictures would cause it to blur heavily if they went too fast, causing games to be very difficult to play.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
That system is probably the reason I have to wear glasses.

LordLucario21

Pokemon Veteran
Good ol' SA2 was my first Sonic game. come to think of it, it was the first game I ever played. I still love it, but I've definitely noticed a few flaws over the years, but its aged a LOT better than Hereoes has. Don't get me wrong, Heroes is a decent game, but its VERY tedious and VERY repetitive.

Rezzo

Occasionally
Neither of them have aged well. Heroes aged better and the problems it faced when it came out are virtually exactly the same problems it still faces now in hindsight. SA2 was linear and you were forced to play game styles you might not have necessarily wanted to.

LordLucario21

Pokemon Veteran
Neither of them have aged well. Heroes aged better and the problems it faced when it came out are virtually exactly the same problems it still faces now in hindsight. SA2 was linear and you were forced to play game styles you might not have necessarily wanted to.

At least SA2 had only 4 styles, 2 of which, imo, worked well. SA1 had 6 styles, 2 or 3 of which sucked, and you HAD to play them, but Sa1 is still regarded as a good game. Sa2 is still a good game imo. It's not "THA BEST GAME EVAR!1!!1!!!1!" like some fanobys say, but its still enjoyable to me. Linearity isn't always a bad thing though. I get that the old 2d games and Adventure had some nonlinear paths, but SA2 had a couple of them also in a sense. Sequence breaking Final Rush (or whatever the Hero's final level was) is an example. But hey, to each their own preferences.

Ampy

Light The Stars
At least SA2 had only 4 styles, 2 of which, imo, worked well. SA1 had 6 styles, 2 or 3 of which sucked, and you HAD to play them, but Sa1 is still regarded as a good game. Sa2 is still a good game imo. It's not "THA BEST GAME EVAR!1!!1!!!1!" like some fanobys say, but its still enjoyable to me. Linearity isn't always a bad thing though. I get that the old 2d games and Adventure had some nonlinear paths, but SA2 had a couple of them also in a sense. Sequence breaking Final Rush (or whatever the Hero's final level was) is an example. But hey, to each their own preferences.

Except in SA2 in you had to play the other gameplay styles to unlock all the Sonic and Shadow levels. At least in SA1 you could play the Sonic and Tails stories without having to play any of the others.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

The non-sonic levels aren't a flaw in the sonic adventure games. They are the point of the game. Now you can feel free to critique how well they are executed*, but you should go into the games being aware that they aren't traditional* sonic gameplay all the time.

*probably a lot of critique to be had there too

While for the most part I agree, I have to seriously question who on Sonic Team thought it would be a good idea to put Big's fishing levels into a Sonic game. Things like Knuckles/Rouge, Amy, and E102/Tails/Eggman levels aren't THAT bad, but Big's... well, they just seem to be a major anomaly in terms of gameplay.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I assume SEGA figured multiple people would play the game at the same time. When I first played adventure, me and my brother split up who was gonna do who's story. Worked out pretty well that way.

Myrrh

I assume SEGA figured multiple people would play the game at the same time. When I first played adventure, me and my brother split up who was gonna do who's story. Worked out pretty well that way.

That's a neat idea, but I figure a lot of people would still make their own save files. It certainly would have helped me though, since when we first got Adventure DX we didn't have a Memory Card for like a month or so >.>

KillerDraco

Perhaps. Though the completionist in me could've never settled for that, the pathological need to do EVERYTHING in the game is too consuming!

It's an interesting assumption though.

LordLucario21

Pokemon Veteran
Except in SA2 in you had to play the other gameplay styles to unlock all the Sonic and Shadow levels. At least in SA1 you could play the Sonic and Tails stories without having to play any of the others.

You're actually wrong about that. In order to unlock the Last Story in SA1, you ad to beat everybody's stories including the ones you didn't like. So having to play all the gameplay styles was present in both Adventure titles. Although I think we can agree that the driving stages in SA2 and the Big stages of SA1 were definitely one of the worst parts of those respective games.

Josef Stylin

I want to dye
The hunting stages were the worst in SA2. The first couple of stages are manageable, but the rest are a pain in the ass.

I don't know why the hell they thought it was a good idea to nerf the radar. Being able to help you locate all 3 shards at once made the hunting stages in SA1 much more enjoyable.

Last edited:

LordLucario21

Pokemon Veteran
The hunting stages were the worst in SA2. The first couple of stages are manageable, but the rest are a pain in the ass.

I don't know why the hell they thought it was a good idea to nerf the radar. Being able to help you locate all 3 shards at once made the hunting stages in SA1 much more enjoyable.

While I do agree that the nerfed hunting radar and the stages weren't the highlight of the game, I feel that the other styles sans driving make up ofr it. I do agree that MAd Space, Egg quarters, and Meteor Herd are annoying to beat though. See, unlike other SA2 fans, I'm willing to admit the game has some flaws. Also, I love your sig. XD

Ampy

Light The Stars
You're actually wrong about that. In order to unlock the Last Story in SA1, you ad to beat everybody's stories including the ones you didn't like. So having to play all the gameplay styles was present in both Adventure titles. Although I think we can agree that the driving stages in SA2 and the Big stages of SA1 were definitely one of the worst parts of those respective games.

SONIC and TAILS' stories. I'm not saying either got it right with the variety of gameplay styles but at least you didn't have to play the other stories to unlock the Sonic and Tails levels.

Last edited:

LordLucario21

Pokemon Veteran
SONIC and TAILS' stories. I'm not saying either got it right with the variety of gameplay styles but at least you didn't have to play the other stories to unlock the Sonic and Tails levels.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh THAT's what you meant. I'm sorry, I misunderstood what you said before. XP My apologies. I think we can agree though that the game with the worst variety of gameplay styles was '06. I actually just played a bit of SA2 and I noticed that the camera is really awkward in some sections. Its really weird to find out new things or restructure your opinion on games you played when you where younger.

Rezzo

Occasionally

Stop implying that you would've bothered doing that if the game was not a particular blue hedgehog

sceptile33

This sums up my opinion perfectly. The treasure hunting in SA1 was mediocre, but at least passable. The nerfed radar made already horrible stages like Death Chamber, Egg Quarters, Meteor Herd and Mad Space a huge pain in the butt. Security Hall is pretty cool though.