• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sonic the Hedgehog

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
So Sonic Boom ehh? I just caught wind of this yesterday after being gone for a few weeks so i'm a bit last with this, but i'll give my thoughts.

To sum it up...I'm hella pumped!

Believe it or not this is exactly what i've ben hoping would happen for years. I had really hoped they were going to dabble in the idea of another adventure styled gameplay and this looks, albeit very different, but also very similar.

I guess I should probably get out my thoughts on the most controversial issue aside, the redesigns. Honestly I really like them. I even do like Knuckles if you believe that. It did take me a while to get used to [like 15 minuets] but after seeing trailers for both the game and the tv show it really helped. I think they look much better in the game and show than they do as concept sketches. While the character builds in the game shots aren't final and they do need work they look very promising. In fact the whole game to me looks promising. This is the first time I've legitimately been flat out excited for a Sonic game since Generations.

Let me tell you the difference between this and Lost World. Lost World had me...confused. Optimistic, but confused. I was really cautious about that game and didn't know what the hell to think. Was it going to be bad, going to be good, how fluid was it going to be all those thoughts ran through my head. With this game however I had none of that. After I got over the initial shock and took in all the information I could I was actually really optimistic to a point where I want this game now, give it to me. Like I said before, this style of gameplay is something that I have dreamt of since I finished Sonic Adventure 2.

I honestly think one of the big selling points for me was the people working on it. The fact that Sonic Team isn't touching this at all actually relieves me as bad as that is to say. The fact that Big Red Button is composed of some ex Naughty Dog members just makes this whole thing 10 times better. I think it's pretty widely known that Naughty Dog really has never made an unsuccessful game. Sure some people may not like something like Uncharted, or Jak and Daxter but that's more or less personal taste. Most people will agree that the stuff ND put out has always been very high quality. And the fact that the moment I looked at the game I got Jak and Daxter vibes it solidified it for me. This is ex Naughty Dog at its finest. And really, I think the ND style kinda fits Sonic. To me Sonic has never been about speed and speed alone. It's been partially about speed, but also the journey in getting to the goal. All the alternate routes, exploration, and gameplay styles appeal to me. I like exploration in my Sonic game. This looks much better than the "exploration" 06 had. I kinda hope we get unique puzzles, some speed sections, and a bunch of fighting. Things I know ND is great at.

I think the other selling point for me is that Sega is actually taking this very seriously. Like this is only going to be pushed in the west, the cartoon is on Cartoon Network, they already have toy's in wearhouses ready for launch [well maybe not but you get the idea]. They are really going to push for this to work and it sounds like they really put a lot of trust in it. Something I don't really feel like Sega has done since 06. Granted they are doing the CYOA of "this is an alternative universe different from the cannon." That is a good thing though in case it does tank it's easy to backpedal. Honestly if Sega is this confidant, by letting a new team of some ex ND members work on a game that is this controversial and is making it a prequel to a cartoon then I don't know why I should be worried. Sega has let us down before but i'm willing to give them a shot at this. If only for the fact that I WANT to like this game, I WANT this to be amazing and maybe even go past Sonic Boom itself. Like Sonic Boom becomes it's own side thing. Like Paper Mario is to the Mario series.

The final thing i'm happy about is that this has clearly been in the works for a long time. I think I heard somewhere it's been in development since sometime in 2011, correct me if i'm wrong. Most Sonic games are almost always rushed to launch and as such end up having problems ranging from OK Lost World to ehhhhugh 06. Like development starts right after the previous game was made. This really looks like it's been given a lot of TLC and deep thought.

I really can't wait for more information of the game and the cartoon. Both look promising to me and I can't wait to get my hands on it.

TLDR: Give it to me, give it to me now!

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
Is it just me or do the char designs and actions seem to be taking after the new TMNT cartoon?

Large numbers of pieces of Western animation looking the same, especially within a few years of each other? Really, tell me more.

This is the most stupidest thing that Sega have ever done

along with everything else in the franchise since sa2, and even some of that

(not literally everything, but a lot of it)

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I'm still hung up on the bandages. Since when have bandages ever been "cool"? Even Amy has bandages, and they're freaking purple. What, is it to give them that "adventurous" look, or a more Western feel or something? Or did the concept artist see too many OCs?

...is this a "post-apocalyptic" Sonic continuity--a second one if Sonic SatAM counts as post-apocalyptic? (Unless the Archie comics are like that as well, but I swear the "post-apocalypse" is the "in" thing right now.)

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I'm still hung up on the bandages. Since when have bandages ever been "cool"? Even Amy has bandages, and they're freaking purple. What, is it to give them that "adventurous" look, or a more Western feel or something? Or did the concept artist see too many OCs?

...is this a "post-apocalyptic" Sonic continuity--a second one if Sonic SatAM counts as post-apocalyptic? (Unless the Archie comics are like that as well, but I swear the "post-apocalypse" is the "in" thing right now.)

They aren't actually bandages, it's sports tape. It's more or less to try and help make them look different and appeal to a younger western audience. Plus being the kind of people they are sports tape in a way makes sense, especially on Knuckles. Like the reason why Sonic has it on his shoes is that they say using sports tape around your shoes and ankles helps give you more support when running. Honestly it's not true but it's just there to ascetically make them look different. [Though I kinda wish it wasn't on his shoes, those are kinda iconic but oh well.] There really isn't much you can do with Sonic to make him look...different, bar adding clothes to him, and I don't really think they wanted to deck him out in a full outfit.

It's kinda like Final Fantasy and zippers/belts. They probably did look at some OC's and whatnot. It's not really pandering it's just trying to get a taste for what the demographic thinks is cool. It's kinda like how hasbro came out and said they made Equestria Girls because so many people were drawing their ponies in humanized form. They wanted to appeal to their audience so they took the things that people were rolling with. Sports tape and Sonic is kinda something people like to roll with. Well...that and this IS ex Naughty Dog...I'm leaving it at that.

I do agree though, hope we get more information on what kind of world this is soon though. I honestly don't know what the hell it's supposed to be. I can't tell if it's post apocalyptic or if it's just a different world with different technology and different alien life forms that Sega likes to doddle around with.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Let me tell you the difference between this and Lost World. Lost World had me...confused. Optimistic, but confused. I was really cautious about that game and didn't know what the hell to think. Was it going to be bad, going to be good, how fluid was it going to be all those thoughts ran through my head. With this game however I had none of that. After I got over the initial shock and took in all the information I could I was actually really optimistic to a point where I want this game now, give it to me. Like I said before, this style of gameplay is something that I have dreamt of since I finished Sonic Adventure 2.

I feel the same way about this as you and I both did about Lost World, it's a new gameplay style that we know little about, I'm optimistic about it, but I think it's just as likely to be a failure as it is to be a success. I don't think you can form much of an opinion on the gameplay at this point.

Void Ventus

Sic Parvis Magna
So, would this be the 3rd and last of the Sonic exclusives on Nintendo platforms? Or does that only apply to the Sonic games developed by the Sonic Team?

Anyways, I kind of want to see an open-world Sonic game on the PS4/Xbone/PC. Showcase Sonic's true speed with the power of next-gen. Have a huge open world, and allow Sonic to be able to run around half it in about 2 minutes, and Super Sonic the whole world in about 30 seconds. Wow our minds with such extraordinary speed. Have him be the fastest animal in the world, not hinder his speed so freaking Amy and Knuckles can catch up to him. Remove all the werewolf, friendship, and the sexualized furries and human kissing BS away. Just make a game about speed, speed, and speed. You can have Tails and Knuckles as playable characters too, for collectibles and exploration. Tails for flying and grabbing out-of-reach treasures and and stuff. Knuckles for fighting bulkier enemies and digging and stuff. But don't focus on them too much. You wouldn't want to break the speed of the game.

Puddingg

Clefairy Lover ^_^
The last Sonic game I played pretty much killed any hopes of me getting excited for a new Sonic game :/ (Sonic & the Sacred Rings or w/e. The one with the genie bad guy. That game sucked.) RIP the days of 2D Sonic games & Sonic Adventure 2 & even Sonic Heroes :(.

xDWarrior

Honestly not seeing all the hate. Looks the same to me.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
-Other characters will appear, this will be revealed in the upcoming months.
Oh boy. This is going to be good...to see the flame wars erupting across everywhere.

I'm expecting Silver to show up for some reason. But either way, I don't know if I'm ready to see what the other character redesigns look like. Because I doubt anyone's going to top Buffles.

PinkiePieFox

Team Flare Grunt
I have to say I am looking forwards to Sonic Boom (Can only play it on the 3DS...) I love the look and gameplay. I also do love Sonic's new design, I didn't even notice the blue arms.
It could be a bit of a Sonic Adventure/Heros thing judging by the gameplay.

My only problem is Knuckles. I understand the buffing up but he looks weird, mostly because HE HAS NO NECK! Not sure if he has his tail either... they also need to work on his legs a bit, they're sonic skinny. I hope they give Knuckles a scarf to cover his 'neck' or add one in. And his crescent on his chest is also messed up.

If you haven't guessed Knuckles is my favourite :D

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
If people throw flame wars because some characters were brought into a new universe of the Sonic series where everyone starts out with a clean slate aside from some very basic traits and archetypes, then they're squabbling for squabbling's sake and should not be given any acknowledgment beyond a disgruntled eye-roll.

The lack of Chaos Emeralds in the Boom universe is interesting though. Not because of the Emeralds themselves, but because this effectively gives the Echidna race a new lease on life, since the entire race aside from Knuckles's lineage died out thanks to their greed for them and subsequent obliteration by Chaos. If the Emeralds don't exist here, what's the setup for Boom Knuckles? Are there more Echidnas around aside from Knuckles? Will this be addressed in Sonic Boom? That's something to think about.

Last edited:

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
The last time they've been important was Generations, and before that, Unleashed.

Hopefully they'll appear in the show in some way.