• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sony going ALL OUT to support Homebrew/Garage Devlopers on Vita

inb4 backstabbing

Didn't they support the homebrew community with the PSP, too? (e: However, the way this is currently looking actually seems to be pretty cool of them. Hopefully this actually works out well for both sides.)

Clamps

Warning: Jokes!
Sweet. This is pretty nice. Can't wait until I can pirate legally.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Is this a good ideal?

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
No, not intentionally.

It just happens that way because, well, where there's a will, there's a way. It'd probably still happen if enough hackers worked on it, but this will probably just make it easier.

Sony encourages piracy then?

inb4everyonepirates

Sweet. This is pretty nice. Can't wait until I can pirate legally.

Again, no. The PSP is already beyond the line for pirating - you can literally pirate on any PSP without hacking now - but this is here to appease the Homebrew community.

Sony still has to sign the games for them to work, and they will probably sell most games as Minis...

Of course, some Devs could purposely sneak an exploit onto one of their games, to make CFW easy as f*** :|, and while I DO love CFW, it WAS what generally harmed the PSP, and I'd rather the PSV do well than have it...

Again, no. The PSP is already beyond the line for pirating - you can literally pirate on any PSP without hacking now - but this is here to appease the Homebrew community.

Sony still has to sign the games for them to work, and they will probably sell most games as Minis...

Of course, some Devs could purposely sneak an exploit onto one of their games, to make CFW easy as f*** :|, and while I DO love CFW, it WAS what generally harmed the PSP, and I'd rather the PSV do well than have it...

I'm pretty sure that the 3000 series is still "locked down." Which was what their release and all the upgrades to firmware were mostly about: to stop people from installing homebrew firmware that allowed them to pirate games on the PSP. Originally, the way the firmware for the PSP was set up, the homebrew community was able to create games for the PSP. However, this was exploited to install the firmware in question.

You may have already stated this in your post, but I might have missed it.

theswweet

swweet is awesomme!
I'm pretty sure that the 3000 series is still "locked down." Which was what their release and all the upgrades to firmware were mostly about: to stop people from installing homebrew firmware that allowed them to pirate games on the PSP. Originally, the way the firmware for the PSP was set up, the homebrew community was able to create games for the PSP. However, this was exploited to install the firmware in question.

You may have already stated this in your post, but I might have missed it.

The original PSP OFW allowed you to play un-signed games... essentially allowing Pirating to be easy as s***, so Sony changed it

The first two PSP models were ORIGINALLY hacked using "Pandora" batteries (I actually own one), but for a long time even 3000's could be hacked momentarily with temporary firmwares you had to reinstall if the PSP ran out of Battery power.

However, in the quite recent months, this has quickly changed.

What has happened is that the Homebrew devs have found out how to "Sign" their games/CFW installers... this allows them to let people without hacked PSP's, Pirate "Signed" Pirated Eboots (the name for sony's PSP Games)

This also allows people to easily use exploits, and Sony knows this. You know your platform is screwed when the firmware update is hacked ten seconds after it goes online, and hacking is easy to do in about 5 minutes. ;)

Nowadays there are two major CFW's; PRO, and ME. Both are available on ALL PSP's, and PRO works permanently on every model available, including GO.

So, what does this basically mean?

-ANYONE can Pirate on even non-hacked PSP's
-EVERYONE can hack their PSP(s)
-NOTHING Sony can do can stop pirating on PSP's now.