• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Soon to be Wi-Fi Battling Team [Diamond]

I have played pokemon ever since the blue version. The thing is, however, I have never really battled competitively, aside from a few matches here and there with my cousin and his pokemon.
So what I trying to do here is make a team of pokemon, that I like, for the Wi-Fi world.
What I plan on my team being
(I do not have my DS with me at the moment so I cannot fill out the nature and all of that fun stuff by memory)
Lead Pokemon
Steelix
Item (Dialga's Orb -do not know the exact item name of it... it increases the damage of steel attacks-)
Toxic
Flash Cannon (Should this be swapped out for Iron Tail?)
Stealth Rock
Stone Edge/ EarthQuake

Torterra
Item ( Big Root ) <- ?
Giga Impact.
Giga Drain
Earthquake
Leafstorm <- I am unsure about this

Houndoom
Leftovers
Nasty Plot
Flamethrower
Crunch
Thunder Fang

Blastiose
Leftovers
Hydro Canon/Pump ( I am not decided as to which to delete. )
Protect
Ice Beam
Earthquake <- ?

Staraptor
Leftovers
Brave Bird
Close Combat
Fly
Aerial Ace

Should Staraptor have a quick attack in there somewhere?

Dusclops
Ghost Plate ( I think that is the item my Haunter is currently holding...) or Leftovers
Shadow Ball ( I am debating if not to switch this with shadow ball, Shadow punch never misses but shadow ball has a higher base attack.)
Will-O-Wisp/Confuse Ray/Calm Mind (if shadow ball?)
Trick Room (Considering this since most of my team are not exactly speed- racers)/Substitute
Mean Look

I am still trying to learn the ins and outs of the competitive world, I have played single player pokemon for years and years.
Any advice would be appreciated.

CRUSH10055

サイダーを飲んでる人
You posted on right place(I believe) since for competitive battling, you must post EVs, Nature, and Items. Your teams are okay but I'll try to improve it.

208.png

Item: Leftovers
Nature: Impish
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 Defense
- Gyro Ball
- Ice Fang
- Stealth Rock
- Explosion

You made a good choice with your lead. Steelix has high Defense. First, set Stealth Rock then after, just use Explosion.

389.png

Item: Yache Berry
Nature: Adamant
EV's: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Defense
- Wood Hammer
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Outrage

Torterra? You're Pokemon are mostly for Defense. I would recommend you to take him out and add Special Wall instead.

229.png

Item: Focus Sash
Nature: Timid
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Sp. Attack / 252 Speed
- Nasty Plot
- Flamethrower / Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power Electric / Sludge Bomb

Your Special Sweeper!

9.png

Item: Wacan Berry
Nature: Calm
EV's: 228 HP / 28 Defense / 252 Sp. Defense
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Ice Beam
- Surf / Hydro Pump

A common Special Wall. Use Rest + Sleep Talk combo.

398.png

Item: Life Orb
Nature: Jolly
EV's: 4 HP / 252 Attack / 252 Speed
- Close Combat
- Aerial Ace
- Roost
- Quick Attack

Quick Attack of your opponent has Focus Sash. Your Physical Sweeper!

Evolve Dosclops to Dusknoir. And don't use him if you're using Steelix.

477.png

Item: Expert Belt
Nature: Impish
EV's: 252 HP / 4 Attack / 252 Defense
- Shadow Punch
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch

P.S.: I've been playing Pokemon since Emerald came out in Japan. Wasn't interested in Pokemon until I played Emerald at Toys R Us.

Last edited:

AlCario

Banned
Don't use Steelix. He's a wonderful pokemon, but you don't need three walls on your team. Also, Metagross is a much better lead.

Metagross@Leftovers
Adamant Nature
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
-Bullet Punch
-Meteor Mash
-Earthquake
-Stealth Rock

Bullet Punch for priority, Meteor Mash for powerful STAB, EQ for coverage and SR for obvious reasons. You might want to put Explosion in there somewhere, but I find the above set to be very effective.

Ampy

Light The Stars
If you want to keep Steelix, I'd suggest replacing Dusknoir with another fairly sturdy Ghost type... maybe Spiritomb or Mismagius?

Spiritomb@Leftovers
Careful Nature
EVs: 252 HP/140 Atk/116 Def
Sucker Punch
Taunt
Pain Split
WoW

Sucker Punch for priority.... Taunt to stop your foe from setting up.... although Spiritomb is pretty slow and doesn't make the best taunter... Pain Split to recover HP (Spiritombs HP is horrible) and WoW to cripple your foes... He's slow but he's got the bulk and attack to help him out

Mismagius@Leftovers
Timid Nature
EVs: 48 HP/208 Sp. Atk/252 Speed
Shadow Ball
Calm Mind
Thunderbolt/HP Fighting
Substitute

This thing doesn't have the bulk of Dusknoir or Spiritomb (although Spiritomb isn't THAT bulky), it has the Speed, Sp. Atk, and Sp. Def to make up for it. This set is pretty simple... use Sub so you can set up Calm Mind and then blow your opponent away with your STAB Shadow Ball or one of the other 2 coverage moves. Personally I'd go with HP Fighting for it's great coverage... but if you don't feel like breeding just go with Thunderbolt

Last edited:
The Team is incredibly Starmie weak, especially SpecsStarm. A Specs Hydro Pump likely OHKOs Steelix and Houndoom as well as 2HKOing Dusclops. Ice Beam rips through Torterra and Staraptor, while Grass Knot / Thunderbolt destroy Blastoise.

CRUSH's Dusclops set is bad. If you want to use it as a Phsyical Attacker:

Dusclops @ Choice Band
Adamant
252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
~ Shadow Punch
~ Earthquake
~ Fire Punch / Ice Punch
~ Shadow Sneak / Thunder Punch

Shadow Punch for your main STAB. Earthquake + whatever you decided to use in the third slot (I'd rec Fire Punch as Blastoise carries Ice Beam) gives great coverage. The last slot can be used for priority to Revenge Kill or more coverage, though I'd suggest Shadow Sneak.

Unfortunately Staraptor is too frail to abuse Roost, so I'd give it Return or Endeavor. Return gives you a more reliable STAB along with Quick Attack, while Endeavor can be used with LO's recoil to lower their health into KO range of Quick Attack. Aerial Ace could be replaced by Brave Bird for more power.

Overall the Team is BoltBeam weak, gets ripped apart by quite a few common threats, and just overall bad. Don't even think about bringing this online.

Ampy

Light The Stars
Hmmm... after reading CT's post I got an idea... how about replacing something for Swampert? It'll help with your BoltBeam weakness (although not entirely).

Swampert@Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
EVs: 240 HP/216 Sp. Def/52 SpA
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Surf/Hydro Pump
Stealth Rock

I know you want to keep Steelix... but it's pretty much the only thing that'll help you against BoltBeam sets :/ I'd suggest swapping it with this guy... You still have that ScarfMie weakness though... how about a Blissey too?

^ If he leads with Pert he should have Earthquake / Hydro Pump / Stealth Rock / Roar. I can't remember a good EV Spread off right now but it should be able to OHKO Heatran with EQ and 2HKO Standard LeadGross with Hydro Pump. There's a few other leads it should be able to combat but I can't remember them.

Either way Starm still runs through this Team, Grass Knot 2HKOs Pert (possible OHKO iirc with SpecsMie).

Ampy

Light The Stars
Could the OP try a Blissey or Snorlax? I have to go now... so I'll try to find something that helps (although CT probably will before me)

Hm.
Swapping Steelix for Metagross - I like this idea.

Spiritomb is the one I'd probably go with...
I was told by my friend it is possible to have a "Wonder Guard" ability on Spiritomb, is this possible?

I also like the idea of a Snorlax over a Blissey.

CRUSH10055

サイダーを飲んでる人
Hm.
Swapping Steelix for Metagross - I like this idea.

Spiritomb is the one I'd probably go with...
I was told by my friend it is possible to have a "Wonder Guard" ability on Spiritomb, is this possible?

I also like the idea of a Snorlax over a Blissey.

It's impossible to have Wonder Guard Spiritomb/Sableye unless you hack. Why do you even want to see Wonder Guard Spiritomb? Metagross is good for setting up Stealth Rock and Explode whenever you want.

Ampy

Light The Stars
No... if it did, it would be the best Pokémon in the game. The problem with Snorlax is that it doesn't have a reliable recovery move... although you could take advantage of that and make it a Sleep Talker