• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SOPA - and the End Of The Internet!!!

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Also, Serebii won't be taken down if SOPA and PIPA only apply in American websites, as Serebii is run in Britain. Though I have a feeling that this will apply to all websites on the WWW, regardless of country...

Actually SOPA/PIPA will affect people living outside of the USA as this video will explain.

Flame Mistress

but it will have all ties to America severed if this bill is passed. There's always one little corner of a website that has SOMETHING pirated. How involved is Serebii with America again?

Well, loads of members here are obviously American, so yeah, it would lose a lot of its members. But it wouldn't completely die, right? I mean, if the bill only applied for American websites, it would still be alive.

But it doesn't look that way to me now.

EDIT: Yeah, ignore this post, Serebii will be taken down anyway if this bill passes.

Last edited:

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
they got megaupload...they must REALLY want to go through with this...though i heard from a source where it said that several representatives have dropped their support already.

Nevertheless, they have no right to do this, i sure as heck hope this will be stopped, otherwise, the net will be basically destroyed. and so will be my free time...

~Kari~

If this retarded bill gets passed, ALL the websites people use EVERYDAY will be shut down. This means, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Megaupload/other similar sites, and even things like Yahoo and Google. Even Serebii will be shut down. Why is the government trying to pass this law anyway? People pirating illegal movies. So cut their funding instead of shutting down the entire Internet, AKA the world! If this law gets passed, the world will NEVER be the same and I will die or lose my sanity. I don't know about you guys, but I live on the Internet, gosh darn it! :(
Edit: They got Megaupload! What's next? God forbid, YouTube? Nooooooooooo! MY LIFE WILL BE OVER IF YOUTUBE GETS TAKEN DOWN!!

Last edited:

Jb

Tsun in the streets
After reading a litttle bit of these posts, it's safe to say that a lot of you have no idea what you are talking about. Also seems like a lot of you don't understand the whole Megaupload thing.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Got this in my email!

Hi everyone!

A big hurrah to you!!!!! We’ve won for now -- SOPA and PIPA were dropped by Congress today -- the votes we’ve been scrambling to mobilize against have been cancelled.

The largest online protest in history has fundamentally changed the game. You were heard.

On January 18th, 13 million of us took the time to tell Congress to protect free speech rights on the internet. Hundreds of millions, maybe a billion, people all around the world saw what we did on Wednesday. See the amazing numbers here and tell everyone what you did.

This was unprecedented. Your activism may have changed the way people fight for the public interest and basic rights forever.

The MPAA (the lobby for big movie studios which created these terrible bills) was shocked and seemingly humbled. “‘This was a whole new different game all of a sudden,’ MPAA Chairman and former Senator Chris Dodd told the New York Times. ‘[PIPA and SOPA were] considered by many to be a slam dunk.’”

“'This is altogether a new effect,' Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing 'an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically' in the last four decades, he added."

Tweet with us, shout on the internet with us, let's celebrate: Round of applause to the 13 million people who stood up - #PIPA and #SOPA are tabled 4 now. #13millionapplause

After Chinese Web users got over the strangeness of hearing Americans debate the merits of screening the Web for objectionable content, they marvelled at the American response. Commentator Liu Qingyan wrote:

‘We should learn something from the way these American Internet companies protested against SOPA and PIPA. A free and democratic society depends on every one of us caring about politics and fighting for our rights. We will not achieve it by avoiding talk about politics.’"
------------------------------
Well done all who protested. Its settling to see we made a difference

Last edited:

PokeMaster366

Got this in my email!

Hi everyone!

A big hurrah to you!!!!! We’ve won for now -- SOPA and PIPA were postponed by Congress today -- the votes we’ve been scrambling to mobilize against have been cancelled.

The largest online protest in history has fundamentally changed the game. You were heard.

On January 18th, 13 million of us took the time to tell Congress to protect free speech rights on the internet. Hundreds of millions, maybe a billion, people all around the world saw what we did on Wednesday. See the amazing numbers here and tell everyone what you did.

This was unprecedented. Your activism may have changed the way people fight for the public interest and basic rights forever.

The MPAA (the lobby for big movie studios which created these terrible bills) was shocked and seemingly humbled. “‘This was a whole new different game all of a sudden,’ MPAA Chairman and former Senator Chris Dodd told the New York Times. ‘[PIPA and SOPA were] considered by many to be a slam dunk.’”

“'This is altogether a new effect,' Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing 'an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically' in the last four decades, he added."

Tweet with us, shout on the internet with us, let's celebrate: Round of applause to the 13 million people who stood up - #PIPA and #SOPA are tabled 4 now. #13millionapplause

After Chinese Web users got over the strangeness of hearing Americans debate the merits of screening the Web for objectionable content, they marvelled at the American response. Commentator Liu Qingyan wrote:

‘We should learn something from the way these American Internet companies protested against SOPA and PIPA. A free and democratic society depends on every one of us caring about politics and fighting for our rights. We will not achieve it by avoiding talk about politics.’"
------------------------------
Well done all who protested. Its settling to see we made a difference

Correction is in bold.

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
^ Pokemaster has a point. Always read in between the lines when dealing with stuff like SOPA. Keep your protests in your sigs, guys, we're only done with round 1. Round 2 has yet to begin (or has it already begun?)

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
So the email is wrong? They aren't off the table for now?

and if they aren't it shows me that our government truly doesn't give a $%^& about its people any more. This many people protesting it should throw up a red flag for the government. I mean half the net shut down for a day to protest

We obviously aren't a democracy anymore if they keep trying to pass this.

Last edited:

PokeMaster366

They say that ignorance is bliss, so why did Congress have to destroy our bliss by pulling multi-million/billion dollar industries out of their ignorance of the idea of pirating? I can imagine plenty of people supporting Anonymous simply because it's against SOPA and PIPA.

treespyro

Vintage much?
Yes it does because that is exactly what SOPA will do if it gets passed. Megaupload is a legit site where people could upload and share file.

It has nothing to do with. I didn't say it was illegal. I said there were illegal stuff and one rotten apple ruins the bunch

It was legal. Sure people used Megaupload to share pirated stuff, however Megaupload themselves remove those files. It is the same with Youtube people use it to upload episode but yet Youtube is still standing.

Well that was a great job they did, didn't they. If there were pirated stuff there, the Government due to copyright laws have the right to close down the site. Youtube is different because they aren't getting profit of it and those videos get removed by youtube. Something you said Megaupload did, well if they did then they wouldn't have been shut down. Also consider the money laundering aspect of it.

Piracy existed long before the internet. Also that isn't true Avatar when it was released was the most pirated movie but yet it made $2,782,275,172 at the box office.

Yes but it was more prominent now than every before. So if you trying to make that point, then what about the other movies around the same time? You didn't include that. Did you compare to those in previous decades where there was no internet privacy? No you didn't. Don't use one sample and say it is for the rest. It is like saying that oranges are expensive because they are $2.50 per kg, therefore everything else must be expensive.

If you read, there have been less people going to movies these days. Because a) Too lazy b) It comes on DVD or c) If I can get it for free why should I pay and that is wrong with society. Oh it is my right to get it for free? No it is not, people spend their time, money and life just to make entertainment for you and you just take it for granted and find an illegal way to receive it.

Now if you look at the highest grossing movies of all time (Inflation adjusted) you can see that the top movies are in million

1. Gone with the Wind - $1560.1 - 1939
2. Star Wars - $1348.6 - 1977
3. The Sound of Music - $1082.4 - 1965
4. E.T - $1070.4 - 1982
5. The Ten Commandments - $995.7 - 1956
6. Titanic - $981.7 - 1997
7. Jaws - $973.5 - 1975
8. Doctor Zhivago - $920.4 - 1965
9. Jungle Book - $823.3 - 1967
10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - $808.1 - 1937

I don't see any 2000's on this list. Look at the years.

Now if we go down further in the list
14. Avatar - $760.5 - 2009
27. Dark Knight - $557.1 - 2008
45. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest - $484.7 - 2006

I am not saying that piracy is affecting a lot but it has played a massive factor in current movies.

movies have been pretty pricey to watch for ever. Now explain this? Explain why movies are grossing more back then than now? Hmmm?

Not true.

Also the moviemovie industry are just as guilty in piracy as these two video will highlight.

The true
What will happen if SOPA/PIPA passed

Oh yes. The movie industry that funds movies, distribution, pays actors, pays for equipment, pays for the sets, editing, advertising, DVD distribution and creation, pays for crew, directors and co. Pays for the whole movie in its creating and post production. Yeah they are totally pirates, they are stealing from what?

Those movies are biased mate, I would like to see those pirates make their own movie and pay for everything to do with it, making it with legit actors, sets and stuff and sell it for zero.

Now I am going with this if I was in a movie, surely I want to make money because I spend a lot of money to create it. If people are stealing it and I get nothing then what's the point. What's the point of making movies if I'm not going to get anything out of it?

Sorry about Megaupload was inducing more piracy than you guys thing. It was a legal site but it makes money out of illegal activities.

I have always bought my movies legally because I get a constant higher quality and I like it tangible.

Zazie

So 1991
After reading a litttle bit of these posts, it's safe to say that a lot of you have no idea what you are talking about. Also seems like a lot of you don't understand the whole Megaupload thing.

From some of the posts in other similar thread it looks like not a single poster here understands the Megaupload thing.

Do you really expect anyone here to understand this kind of stuff? Copyright law is complicated as it is, expecting people over here out of all places to understand it is absurd. There is a reason they have lawyers handle this kind of stuff.

PsychicPsycho

Wow, I didn't realize how great the effect of this thing would be, now that I've read more about it. Although it sounds like the bills that were being proposed were stopped, although they still intend to rework them. Did I get that part right?

So this thing will shut down everything that violates copyright laws in some way, basically? What is it that Serebii does that makes it qualify? Is it things like the pokedex data on the home page?

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
It's data from the Pokemon games, which are from GameFreak. At any moment, GameFreak could claim a copyright issue (because this site and several others know about the 3 unreleased Pokemon), complain to the government, and have the whole site shut down. And not just for people in America, but also for people around the world, as Pokemon is a worldwide thing.

PsychicPsycho

It's data from the Pokemon games, which are from GameFreak. At any moment, GameFreak could claim a copyright issue (because this site and several others know about the 3 unreleased Pokemon), complain to the government, and have the whole site shut down. And not just for people in America, but also for people around the world, as Pokemon is a worldwide thing.
Wow, so people saying it could be the death of the internet weren't really exaggerating.:(

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
^ I know. And the same could happen to ANY of your favorite websites. You name it: YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, anything like this could be shut down even for unintended copyright infringement.

So far we're winning on the SOPA battlefield, but I somewhat feel as if the battle has just begun... Fight harder for a guaranteed victory! Protest in the streets and all major government centers! Let the voice of the people be heard! Keep the Internet free and fun, as it was meant to be!

PsychicPsycho

^ I know. And the same could happen to ANY of your favorite websites. You name it: YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, anything like this could be shut down even for unintended copyright infringement.

So far we're winning on the SOPA battlefield, but I somewhat feel as if the battle has just begun... Fight harder for a guaranteed victory! Protest in the streets and all major government centers! Let the voice of the people be heard! Keep the Internet free and fun, as it was meant to be!
Well, one good thing for me is I don't care about Facebook and Twitter, but I'm sure I'd lose other things. Now, is it just an automatic thing, or does a company have to complain first (should the bill be passed).

And how should I go about fighting? I noticed a link on the first page, but I didn't see how to actually sign something on there.

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
Well, if you know how to contact your Congressman, that helps. As for how else to sign up to protest, I'm not sure. I know Google was going nuts about it a few days ago and had a link where you could sign up to protest. Try typing in "SOPA protest" or something. I'm sure there's a link somewhere where you can sign up to protest.

And as for the company complaining about copyright infringement, it may say that the company has to complain first, but knowing how powerful the U.S. government has become over the past several decades, I wouldn't count on them to keep their word where the company should complain first (should the bill be passed, which, so far, appears to not be happening).