• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SOPA - and the End Of The Internet!!!

Oh for sh*t's sake, you idiot. THEY WILL BLOCK EVERY BIT OF THE 'NET THAT HAS ANY COPYRIGHT WITHOUT PERMISSION. They will turn the US into a place worse than China. U think that is a good thing?[/IMG139]

That's the law, it's as simple as that. Basically your problem is that they are trying to enforce it. We can't post copyrighted things here either. Exaggeration is not necessary. And let me guess, you want to be a little Stalin and decide what goes on in your little side of the net, but when the government does it for the law its evil then?

Skydra

You don't seem to get that if IGN uploaded that video footage and Nintendo didn't want it uploaded, Nintendo could legally have it taken down.

missedthepoint.jpg

No I didn't. What I said was that while it is perfectly within Nintendo's rights to take down footage of their games, it is unrelated to this bill. This bill attempts to achieve the removal of ALL streamed content, regardless of whether the company wants to or not. If Nintendo doesn't want videos on Youtube, it is very easy for them to remove them.

That's the law, it's as simple as that. Basically your problem is that they are trying to enforce it. We can't post copyrighted things here either. Exaggeration is not necessary. And let me guess, you want to be a little Stalin and decide what goes on in your little side of the net, but when the government does it for the law its evil then?

Ugh, another one. You clearly don't understand what this bill is doing that people are complaining about. Protecting personal property is part of the law, but there is industry and non-infringing things involved here. Why we don't want this bill is the removal of filming video games for Let's Plays, walkthroughs, and the like. And really, if Nintendo or some such company wanted videos taken down, they could simply tell the filmer to take down their videos or ask Youtube.

The point that I want to make is not that we should do whatever for free, its that we shouldn't kill industry and whatever enjoyment of the people that is not claimed infringement just because some companies decided on achieving personal gain at the sake of other's.

No I didn't. What I said was that while it is perfectly within Nintendo's rights to take down footage of their games, it is unrelated to this bill. This bill attempts to achieve the removal of ALL streamed content, regardless of whether the company wants to or not. If Nintendo doesn't want videos on Youtube, it is very easy for them to remove them.

That's not your worry, its up to companies to lobby to congress whether that bill should be modified to give them choices.

Ugh, another one. You clearly don't understand what this bill is doing that people are complaining about. Protecting personal property is part of the law, but there is industry and non-infringing things involved here. Why we don't want this bill is the removal of filming video games for Let's Plays, walkthroughs, and the like.And really, if Nintendo or some such company wanted videos taken down, they could simply tell the filmer to take down their videos or ask Youtube.

They can still do that by forcing the hosting company, so whether the bill passes or not, the point is moot. The customer will then complain to Nintendo and has the option to boycott them, then Nintendo can change their tune.

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
Fock, guys, have you actually read the bill in question? Y'know, the one that has you all screaming bloody murder?

Because if you did, you’d realise that this would only applies to non-US websites that don’t comply with this law if it were to pass.
Please, read it first before jumping to conclusions~! http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-968

"But, that's really long, and I only read the first three sentences before yawning and switching tabs back to a torrent site to download Rihanna's latest album before it shuts down?"
Don't worry, I didn't make it very far either! For those who know that long as fock articles don't tickle their fancy, they were even kind enough to do a summary on the whole kerfuffle.

Poke Trainer J

I'm sure all of you guys are aware that there is another bill similiar to Protect IP that's trying to pass into law by the U.S. Government called SOPA otherwise known as the Stop Online Piracy Act. The link below gives a better description of it and how it can destroy the internet as we know it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

Sure there have been other bills trying to pass through Congress against Net Neutrality and we were fortunate enough of them to fail. This time the U.S. Government means serious business and there is a strong likelihood that If we don't take action now it could very well pass into law.

ChedWick

Fock, guys, have you actually read the bill in question? Y'know, the one that has you all screaming bloody murder?

Because if you did, you’d realise that this would only applies to non-US websites that don’t comply with this law if it were to pass.
Please, read it first before jumping to conclusions~! http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=s112-968

"But, that's really long, and I only read the first three sentences before yawning and switching tabs back to a torrent site to download Rihanna's latest album before it shuts down?"
Don't worry, I didn't make it very far either! For those who know that long as fock articles don't tickle their fancy, they were even kind enough to do a summary on the whole kerfuffle.

As if that changes anything? It's still censorship of the internet.

Poke Trainer J

Remember the Group Anonymous that threatened to shutdown Facebook because they think the U.S. Government is spying on them and such? Well because of SOPA they have declared Cyber Warfare against the U.S. Government by implementing "Operation: Black Out":

http://www.federaljack.com/?p=158644

Anonymous said:
Citizens of the United States, We are Anonymous.

This is an urgent emergency alert to all people of the United States. The day we've all been waiting for has unfortunately arrived. The United States is censoring the internet. Our blatant response is that we will not sit while our rights are taken away by the government we trusted them to preserve. This is not a call to arms, but a call to recognition and action!

The United States government has mastered this corrupt way of giving us a false sense of freedom. We think we are free and can do what we want, but in reality we are very limited and restricted as to what we can do, how we can think, and even how our education is obtained. We have been so distracted by this mirage of freedom, that we have just become what we were trying to escape from.

For too long, we have been idle as our brothers and sisters were arrested. During this time, the government has been scheming, plotting ways to increase censorship through means of I S P block aides, D N S blockings, search engine censorship, website censorship, and a variety of other methods that directly oppose the values and ideas of both Anonymous as well as the founding fathers of this country, who believed in free speech and press!

The United States has often been used as an example of the ideal free country. When the one nation that is known for its freedom and rights start to abuse its own people, this is when you must fight back, because others are soon to follow. Do not think that just because you are not a United States citizen, that this does not apply to you. You cannot wait for your country to decide to do the same. You must stop it before it grows, before it becomes acceptable. You must destroy its foundation before it becomes too powerful.

Has the U.S. government not learned from the past? Has it not seen the 2011 revolutions? Has it not seen that we oppose this wherever we find it and that we will continue to oppose it? Obviously the United States Government thinks they are exempt. This is not only an Anonymous collective call to action. What will a Distributed Denial of Service attack do? What's a website de face ment against the corrupted powers of the government? No. This is a call for a worldwide internet and physical protest against the powers that be. Spread this message everywhere. We will not stand for this! Tell your parents, your neighbors, your fellow workers, your school teachers, and anyone else you come in contact with. This affects anyone that desires the freedom to browse anonymously, speak freely without fear of retribution, or protest without fear of arrest.

Go to every I R C network, every social network, every online community, and tell them of the atrocity that is about to be committed. If protest is not enough, the United States government shall see that we are truly legion and we shall come together as one force opposing this attempt to censor the internet once again, and in the process discourage any other government from continuing or trying.

We are Anonymous.
We are Legion.
We do not forgive censorship.
We do not forget the denial of our free rights as human beings.
To the United States government, you should've expected us.

Zachmac

In the US, pizza is officially a vegetable. 0.o

Our government's main problem is that it's over-complicating freedom. You aren't even able to decide if you want to buckle your own seat-belt or not. They make too many laws trying to support freedom, and it just ends up limiting it.

Oh, and court is fair? Tell that to my mom, when my dog was accused of barking at early hours, she was given criminal trial, as if she was accused of theft.
The United States government has mastered this corrupt way of giving us a false sense of freedom. We think we are free and can do what we want, but in reality we are very limited and restricted as to what we can do, how we can think, and even how our education is obtained. We have been so distracted by this mirage of freedom, that we have just become what we were trying to escape from.
Actually, some of their actions do make it look like they are trying to encourage freedom, just approaching it the wrong way. Though I don't know much about politics and stuff, my older sister keeps going on about how Canada is the truly free country.

Ioneos

old geezer
The House of Rep BETTER stop this or every single cover of every song on iTunes will have to be taken off... this might not be so bad after all

What the hell were they thinking? Singing a song on your YouTube channel with about 10 views gains you zero financial gain. So I don't see where this is going.

Also, do they realise how many nerds will be protesting because they can't get their Zelda walkthroughs on IGN?

A lot.

Last edited:

funrush

Elite Beat Agent
From what I remember, you are somewhat right. The uploader has to have permission from the company to stream the copyrighted content. If they do, the video stays up. The bill doesn't allow them to remove copyrighted footage for absolutely no reason.

sizida

CoconutIsTheAnswer
let's say, posting soundtrack on youtube, or game play will be banned, i don't see the point of it. the quality is worse than the original. besides if the videos are showing something that is 'copyright', they are totally different and they basically don't gain anything than viewership unless money is involved. like you pay for this video, which in turn the person is gaining profit from it. that should be put under ban.

Aquanova

People that make Lets Plays dont do this for financial gain. They do this for entertainment purposes only, so I dont think there's anything wrong with that, The companies just have a problem with people using illegal copies of the game, they'd rather have people buy and play the game rather than you sit and watch it on YouTube, thats what this is really about. I hope this bill dosent pass because in my opinion this is just stupidness.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
I can't believe the government is doing this, this bill could screw a lot of people over and people will loose jobs, the internet will be nothing except A researching area and if this thing is passed no youtube or facebook this needs to stop now!

Yeul

Green Eyed Girl
People that make Lets Plays dont do this for financial gain. They do this for entertainment purposes only, so I dont think there's anything wrong with that, The companies just have a problem with people using illegal copies of the game, they'd rather have people buy and play the game rather than you sit and watch it on YouTube, thats what this is really about. I hope this bill dosent pass because in my opinion this is just stupidness.

If the people who make the LPs don't comply (AKA agree) with the law, then they'll be taken down. Same goes for the blogs and Nintendo vids.
It isn't that hard to simply agree with it, is it?

Korusan

Banned
Instead of bit[img200]9[/img200]ching about it why don't you morons go write your congressmen? Or are you just going to say "that won't do anything though! (oh god I may actually have to do something about this if I want it to change)"? Boy you Amurrikans sure are stupid.

Makes me glad I live in a good country.

Zachmac

Instead of bit[img200]9[/img200]ching about it why don't you morons go write your congressmen? Or are you just going to say "that won't do anything though! (oh god I may actually have to do something about this if I want it to change)"? Boy you Amurrikans sure are stupid.

I might move to Canada when I'm done with school/collage, but I don't judge people for their country.

Is there something wrong with complaining to a bunch of people who agree? If you don't like it, don't read it.

And if you're so happy that you live in Canada and that this doesn't have to do with you, why waste your time posting here anyway?

Last edited:

ChedWick

Well aren't we bright. Making such assumptions.