• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SOPA - and the End Of The Internet!!!

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
Uh-oh... Maybe we should add things in our sigs protesting against ACTA, too...

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
^ Lol! Unknowing subliminal messages!

Vini310

Sorry, but I agree with what S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. are doing, I'll explain why with an example:

Imagine you own a very famous company that has created a series of games known worldwide. Then someone starts to spread news about their games and puts them on top for download without your permission!

This would help in spreading the product? Yes, but at the same time would be violating their copyright, especially if the guy trying to cash in on their games or go around saying that the games are his, that he created and such, not to mention that the entire profit he gets them to their games, HALF needs to be given to you!

The goal of S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. is to stop piracy, which is why the Megaupload was closed because the owner as well as doing piracy was money laundering.

Enjoy it while you can, because the project S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. was postponed indefinitely.

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
^ I respect your support for SOPA and PIPA, but there are several factors which has produced such an outrage for SOPA and PIPA. For instance:

Say someone downloads content that they didn't know was pirated. Because of that, they get sued for something they truly didn't know about, which means either life in prison, gigantic fines, or being watched by the government for the rest of your life. Does that sound very fair to you?

Or (this is what caused the outrage) say someone on a site like YouTube wishes to make a parody of a certain T.V. show or something of that sort. It's not an "official" parody, but still a parody. Then a company files a copyright claim against that one person just because of their creation of the parody, and the whole site (not just the video, but the entire site) gets shut down, with no telling of when the site can be accessed again. Imagine several of your favorite users never to be seen on YouTube ever again just because they tried to make a parody of a T.V. show or movie (or not having sites such as YouTube, Facebook, or anything else like that ever again).

EDIT: Because Serebii.net has several stuff that could be called "copyrighted" by Gamefreak, it could easily mean that this website never sees the light of day again should SOPA pass, even though it's a British server. Someone in the UK got in trouble for even accessing a pirate website on a U.S. server. He had never even set foot on American soil.

Last edited:

Ememew

Emerald Mew
^ I respect your support for SOPA and PIPA, but there are several factors which has produced such an outrage for SOPA and PIPA. For instance:

Say someone downloads content that they didn't know was pirated. Because of that, they get sued for something they truly didn't know about, which means either life in prison, gigantic fines, or being watched by the government for the rest of your life. Does that sound very fair to you?

Or (this is what caused the outrage) say someone on a site like YouTube wishes to make a parody of a certain T.V. show or something of that sort. It's not an "official" parody, but still a parody. Then a company files a copyright claim against that one person just because of their creation of the parody, and the whole site (not just the video, but the entire site) gets shut down, with no telling of when the site can be accessed again. Imagine several of your favorite users never to be seen on YouTube ever again just because they tried to make a parody of a T.V. show or movie (or not having sites such as YouTube, Facebook, or anything else like that ever again).

EDIT: Because Serebii.net has several stuff that could be called "copyrighted" by Gamefreak, it could easily mean that this website never sees the light of day again should SOPA pass, even though it's a British server. Someone in the UK got in trouble for even accessing a pirate website on a U.S. server. He had never even set foot on American soil.

And just to add to this, consider that the "Arab Spring" came about in no small part due to the ability to communicate over the internet via sites like YouTube and Twitter.

Now imagine that sites that are capable of bringing about political change can be shut down indefinitely because so much as a single user posted a video of clips from a copyrighted TV show set to a copyrighted song.

I don't mind the idea of preventing piracy in theory, but when attempts to do so when put into practice go to such lengths as to prevent speech of other kinds, there's a problem. Heck, even Serebii has a debate section where people exchange opinions on a number of issues. That could be shut down because the site also has copyrighted Pokemon material on it intended to assist people if they're stuck in the games or to provide space to discuss the anime with other fans.

Last edited:
Sorry, but I agree with what S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. are doing, I'll explain why with an example:

Imagine you own a very famous company that has created a series of games known worldwide. Then someone starts to spread news about their games and puts them on top for download without your permission!

This would help in spreading the product? Yes, but at the same time would be violating their copyright, especially if the guy trying to cash in on their games or go around saying that the games are his, that he created and such, not to mention that the entire profit he gets them to their games, HALF needs to be given to you!

The goal of S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. is to stop piracy, which is why the Megaupload was closed because the owner as well as doing piracy was money laundering.

Enjoy it while you can, because the project S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. was postponed indefinitely.

The goal of SOPA and PIPA are admirable, but they went about it in a way similar to atomic bombing the entire middle east because of terrorism.

blaze boy

Aka SamuraiDon
Sorry, but I agree with what S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. are doing,

The goal of S.O.P.A. and P.I.P.A. is to stop piracy,

Except it won't stop piracy, it will always exist. So SOPA/PIPA will end up hurting the freedom of expression and fair use will no longer be applied.

which is why the Megaupload was closed because the owner as well as doing piracy was money laundering.

If the shut down of Megaload tells us anything is that SOPA/PIPA isn't needed to counter piracy.

For now.

neophenx

Pokemon Strategist

While I cannot disagree that the initial GOAL of SOPA is a noble cause, that does not negate the fact that it does so by tearing down the information superhighway altogether. Remember, SOPA would give Game Freak and Nintendo the right to pull the plug on Serebii and all of your precious Pokemon-oriented communities that do more good than harm for the actual game series.

TheWatersGreatGuardian

Legendary Trainer
Now that Congress has had time to process last week's internet blackout, a consensus has emerged: SOPA and PIPA are toxic for politicians, and going anywhere near them could cost them their re-election.
-----------------
Got this in my email

Poke Trainer J

Okay I'll try to clear things up about ACTA the Treaty being signed today by the European Union and Ireland which in many cases is related to this topic. First of all, it's not going to censor the Internet, it's just going to monitor your usage on it; where you go and what you do there. As long as you don't do anything questionable (like download copywritten material), you'll be fine. The ISP's will be the one's doing the monitoring not the U.S. Government or any other Government.

So until the U.S. Government creates laws that will be based off of ACTA like SOPA/PIPA or the OPEN Act, ACTA has no effect at all. As for YouTube and Google they don't enable piracy and they don't sell anything so they'll be safe. The situation with Megaupload/Megavideo that was mostly Anonymous's fault for provoking the U.S. Government into shutting down those websites by hacking into Government websites by the Pentagon and the White House.

ACTA is a treaty, not a law. It's powerless until a law is put into motion that supports it.

garren

kitties will rule
i find it funny how they try to stop it now instead of back when, when people recorded the radio on cassette tapes (google for you yungins)

Now that Congress has had time to process last week's internet blackout, a consensus has emerged: SOPA and PIPA are toxic for politicians, and going anywhere near them could cost them their re-election.
-----------------
Got this in my email

"Oh no! The re-election period! We have to pretend we care about the country so that we can get re-elected and retain our six figure salaries!"
Honest truth.