• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sore loser or honest battler?

How do you take battles?

• I'm a sore loser. I SHALL NEVER LOSE!!!

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I'm honest. If I lose, I lose. I'll raise up from the slump...

Votes: 21 50.0%
  • I'm mixed between both... depends on the situation.

Votes: 18 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hehe... I had an idea for a quite interesting and unussual poll here.

This applies for both In-Game and Link Battles. I just want to know... are you a sore loser or a honest battler? With that I mean: do you reset/yank off the Link Cable if you're going to lose a Battle? Or do you take the loss at full to try to improve and confront the one that defeated you later?

Well... for In-Game, I must admit that I'm a sore loser outside of stuff like Battle Frontier. It's mainly for the money, though. Half your Money is gone if you lose. Maybe if I didn't reset every time, i'd have a bigger challenge... I must change my ways, hehe.

In more serious Battles, such as Colosseum's Battle Mode or Link Battles, I take defeats like a man. I never give in, even. No matter how hard the situation, I'll try my best to get out of it all and try to pull off a win. Even if it's hopeless, I'll keep on battling 'till we drop...

So... what are you? ;)

PDL

disenchanted
well, ingame, I really dislike losing, because either half my money is gone, or I have to start all over again (in the battle tower in RS)

the only times I remember accepting losses without anger was when I was goofing around In my Gold version with a hoothoot I named "stupid ***" and making it lose battle after battle to see what low happiness was like (I stored all my game money with ingame mom of course)

another time would be in Colosseum, I lost to Nella (the cipher member with Houndoom) I purposely saved the game after my loss because it was a female houndoom, and I went to get it back once I was strong enough to take Reaglam Tower. Now that same Houndoom (who I nicknamed "Ruby") is now lvl 100 and is a very useful member of my colosseum team.

however, in link-battling, I will try my hardest, but I will accept defeat if handed to me... of course, I don't remember being defeated since the only person I ever seem to play against is my younger cousin, and he's terrible... I have to help him defeat my own pokemon... funny thing is that he still gloats how he can beat anything despite his Regis lossing to my legendary-free team...

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
I'm a sore loser :p. In-game, obviously I reset, because I don't want to lose my money, and in the 3rd gen games, you can't store it. In link battles, though, I sometimes pull out the cable or whatever, but that's mostly because my brother (who is the only one I battle) uses hax moves, and it makes me mad.

BluekiKatana

Warrior Spirit
I have battled countless linkbattles in my day. I hold link battle tourneys every month in LA. I even won the bigscreen battle at San Jose PRA. And I can honestly say I have never seen more lack of honor than on Netbattle. I mean it's like what the hell, almost EVERY single battle someone will forfeit on you. It is not like that in real battling at all, most people have the heart to finish it to the end like a real fighter would.

But on netbattle the sore losing on there is horrible. There should be a consequence for forfeiting I think. In the Japanese culture it is looked harshly down upon to give up so easy. Giving up is not the spirit of a battler, of a fighter in general. People can say it is all in the maturity of the person playing, but I still don't say that is a legitamate excuse. I don't know what can be so hard about just taking a loss as a loss and learning from it.

Oh yeah, and I think it is totally acceptable to reset losing battles on story mode. My only gripe is human VS human sore losing.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Well, one time, in a net-battle against my cousin, I was down to Flygon and he had a Kyogre. My brother, who isn't a Pokemon fan, said for me to use Dragonbreath. I said I knew what I was doing, so I pick Crunch, and lost, with a poisoned 3 HP left Kyogre. Should have listened to him. I better about making those decisions now. I took it rather well, but I'm rather mixed, I sometimes get slightly upset if I lose to a person with a Shadow Pokemon that took me forever to get to.

Eszett

one love
I'm not very concerned about losing at all, ingame or in link battles. I don't get fumed about ingame losses since I know I'm simply losing half my money which can be acquired again; however, I also acquired some experience on my Pokemon.

Link battles don't upset me either. Either my team simply wasn't good enough, or I just made a few dumb mistakes. Two of the exceptions to this rule of thumb is if somebody uses an overtiered Pokemon against me or if somebody wins through hax.

Another Fan

Nothing Special
I reset in games because I like money and I don't like my pretend pokemon fainting but if someone beats me in NetBattle it isn't a surprise for me. My team sucks so I just move on.

bluecrimson

Sea Ruby Trainer
The only time I was a sore loser was when I battled someone with my lv 80 silver team against a lv 100 gold team.

I'm not a sore loser. If i lose or if im in trouble im like...crap or not good.

E

Evanji Axu

I'm a sore loser :B I like my money. Money is good. But I've never gotten to play against another person, so I dunno about that.

jellsprout

In game, I reset. Money issues.
But in Link Battles and Netbattle I accept my loss, although I almost never fight on Netbattle and the only persons I ever battled against with a Link Cable were my best friend and my nephew, and both suck.

wants_latios_lots

I miss you Maddie <3
Sore...? Only when I lose to moves like double team or supersonic (ingame), when I end up hitting myself every turn for eight turns. "Bit o' bad luck" I say, then turn off the game, if I saved close enough away. I don't normally play link battles, but I've never lost in a fair fight, so...*head inflates*.

And I wish I could do netbattle, but I don't have any computery skill/knowledge, and I woudn't be surprised if my computer catapulted itself out of a window if I tried. 0_o

C

cloud_nine

no,i dont care about money.it's no big deal to lose 1/2 of your money,especily if I lose a battle about onece a game.oh and if your afraid speand all your money before you gu into a tough battle

S

Sonata Arctica

I'm only bothered by a loss if it's a haxfest, especially vs CPU players. If I lose ingame, I just train some more and try again. In link, I just get on with it.

Guy

I don't know!
If i'm going to lose a battle, i don't really care. But my friend, on the other hand, pulls out the link cable right when he loses. I'm tecnically kinda mixed.

Glowstick_cult

For some reason, the only time I get slightly infuriated about losing is in pokemon stadium. I don't know why...

I flick off the GBA switch when I'm losing in an in-game battle, though. I'm money concious (omg, iwannabuy50ultraballs,plz), and I'm a PARANOID saver. I save the game all the freaking time -_- So I don't lose much progress when I flick the switch.

Tazzler

I am a sore loser if I lose "unfairly" like hax.

Spock

Live Long & Prosper
Remember kids, a honest battler always wins.

My ruby team, witha Spoink were against Flannery. All but Spoink fainted. I decided not to turn off the game, and happily won!

Status
Not open for further replies.