• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Souku's Project 365 with Pokémon

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobiess

6 different pokemon
The project is really inspirational. I love it! :)
I would like to do the same but I can't find the time to do so.
But I can't wait to see more of the drawings.Your style is really nice, you can go from realistic to playfull really smooth. (Your style kind of reminds me of someone on smogonforums)
Hopefully you'll succee"d this challenge :D

Squiddly Dee

∈ (⊙ ⊖ ⊙) ∋
I just love love love your Victini. It's my favorite legendary, and you did it justice. I also love your Jynx, and I HATE Jynx with a fiery passion normally. Phenomenal work.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Ok...
- Machamp is amazing, he looks so awesome.
- Shroomish is great. Good thing you had your take on it, it's even better than the original design and nice to finally see it cheerful looking for once.
- Wooper looks awsome too. Nice that you again gave a realistic style on it.
Keep it up, I'm supporting you in this project.

AmericanDreamer

Havn't posted in a bit, figured I'd get up to date with my gratuitous praise! Anyways, Victini is fantastic. I had honestly never considered the little guy having wings...especially not on his skirt/fluff/whatever that is. I don't know if I agree with the concept, but I'm not complaining. I think that wings are one of the things that you do best.

Machamp is...freakin' terrifying. Seriously, that is by a large margin the scariest Machamp that I have ever seen. You know between that and your Arbok and your Electivire, you might put me off from the idea of attempting to tear open a portal in reality and enter the Pokemon world...on second thought, no you wont.

As usual, I love it :D

Shroomish I am a little unsure of. The art quality is fantastic as always, but you give him a very animal-like face, almost canine, definately mammailian, and I just can't equate that in my head. Shroomish is a plant, not a mammal. However, it is beautiful for what it is, and I must commend you for that.

As for Wooper...DAS CUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUTE!!! Seriously, fantastic picture, you got the flow of Woopers slick body floating in the water perfect. This is an absolutely fantastic picture, and you aught to get a medal or be even made a knight. Sir Souku, the High Grand Lord of Pokemon Art!

Yes, I think that title will do nicely.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
I love love love Machamp and Shroomish!

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Love how you made Wooper's reflective, smooth skin. That never would have worked with line art.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
- Weezing is probably the scariest one you did since Machamp and it looks really good and quite intimidating. I'll never see that Poke in the same way again.
- Taillow was very nice. Simple but great, it looks like a nice photograph
- Nidoran was really good. I love the way you did that kind of style on her. Quite unusual nowadays, great job. really

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Ah, another bird pokemon. I have to agree that shading feathers is very tedious; I can never actually draw feathers that look good because I'm always too lazy to shade them all.

Souku

Thank you all so much for your comments! I want to let you know that I appreciate each and every one of them and the fact that you take the time to leave them in the first place! It's great knowing that you guys are following - it's wonderful encouragement.

Some things that were asked previously but I didn't have time to answer before: These pics are done digitally using Photoshop CS 5. I usually spend about 1-2 hours on them, often the last few hours before midnight/the new day (so when I complain about rushing, you now know why lol).

We leave February with a Parasect. Who knows what pokémon March will bring?

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
What a way to end February.
- Pidgeotto looks realistic. It even looks a bit like a photo! I like the way you put so much detail into drawing birds.
- Parasect is quite creepy. The additional details you added on it adds to the already creepy aura that it already has. Amazing really.
Hope to see my faves soon. I can wait for that.

DANdotW

Previously Iota
Love the recent additions :D

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Parasect. Reminds me of a real life fungi that takes control of an ant and
makes the ant climb up to another plant where the fungi will best be able
to scatter its seeds. The fungi basically sprouts out the ant's head.

As a matter of fact, this is what they're based on. Paras and Parasect seem to be based on cicada nymphs infected by a parasitic fungus. Here's an excerpt from the Bulbapedia article on this topic:

Cordyceps fungus may or may not be beneficial to humans, but for insects, the effects are always disastrous. Each of the many thousands of Cordyceps species specialize in parasitizing a particular type of insect, and infections can wipe out whole colonies. For instance, Cordyceps cicadae, Cordyceps heteropoda and Cordyceps sinclairii all prey on different species of cicada. But some members of the Cordyceps genus take the invasion of their host's body a step further...

One example is Cordyceps unilateralis, which infects a particular species of ant, Camponotus leonardi. The fungus spreads through its host, but doesn't kill it straight away. It restricts itself to consuming the ant's non-vital tissues, until the time comes to release spores. At this point, it spreads into the ant's brain and alters the creature's perception. The ant is compelled to climb to the top of a tall stalk, and clamp on with its jaws. The fungus then finally kills its host, leaving it frozen in position. When the fruiting body emerges, the ant will have taken it into a prime position to release spores... and spread them to as many other ants as possible.

The sad thing is that as I said, Paras and Parasect appear to be cicada nymphs. The fungus seems to have infected their bodies and stunted their growth, so they can never grow out of this immature phase and turn into cicadas. That begs the question of what Paras and Parasect would look like if they weren't infected by the fungus (however, because all members of the species have the fungus, it's likely that they have formed a symbiotic relationship and cannot be separated by conventional means).

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
What a way to start this month
- Purugly looks very nice. You did well on drawing a Pokemon I actually don't like that much. It's pretty good that you gave it a more domesticated and tame depiction, which is quite a contrast on how it's normally depicted.
- Cradily is just awesome. I really like the design you gave it and it looks more like a dragon/sea serpent than an anemone (which is what it's supposed to be). Good job here.

edit:
- Are you kidding? Honestly, that Carracosta looks great! That, my friend, should be what it should look more like. Don't feel bad about it. I know it's quite a contrast to what it normally should look like but you did superbly with it. It's one of my fave drawings of yours. You did a really awesome job here.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.