• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

soul silver monowater team

edonub

Made a team with my absolute favourite type, now I've got all the badges and heading to mount silver.
I did a little breeding, got non-harmful natures, somewhat tried to pilot my EV training but never bothered grinding for EVs so I won't post those.
I'm using no healing items, and playing on "set" as well. Switches are often necessary and that's why after trying a whole bunch of pokes, I ended up with this bulky-oriented team.

;073; ;171; ;130; ;195; ;199; ;230;

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Clear Body
Timid Nature (+speed - att)

Surf
Toxic Spikes
Sludge Bomb
Giga Drain

My firts water-type catch, always been necessary to deal with my rival's Bayleef/Meganium at the early stages of the game. T-spikes help a LOT on teams I can't hit for solid super-effective damage. Clear Body and Poison typing have helped me against a lot of hax. Giga Drain was pretty useful for some of Brock's pokes and Misty's Quagsire.

Lanturn @ Choice Specs

Volt Absorb
Bold Nature (+def - att)

Discharge
Signal Beam
Surf
Thunder

My answer to other water types, and most electrics. Pretty self-explanatory, good defenses all around, and Electric immunity+STAB is a very important asset to a water team. though once again I need a good filler for my last slot. (also I almost never use Stockpile, which is replaceable as well).

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
Adamant Nature (+att - sp att)

Bounce
Waterfall
Dragon Dance
Taunt

Flying STAB is what I needed, it hits pretty damn hard. Also, I found Taunt to be very fun to play with as it stops so much annoying stuff and allows me to get free boosts with gyarados's bulk+leftovers.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Water Absorb
Careful Nature (+sp def - sp att)

Earthquake
Waterfall
Rock Slide
Rain Dance

I wanted a curse/recover set, then realized you need some crazy Smeargle action to obtain both egg moves, and gave up. Just bred with a slowpoke for Curse. Besides STAB Earthquake, I don't use this poke for much: the problem is, I need that STAB Earthquake a lot, so Quaggy ended up a permanent member of my team anyway. I either curse once of twice if the opposing team is physical, or let it faint after Rain Dance for a clean sweep with my last poke. Both moves are actually replaceable though. Now got Rock Slide for some variety. I found myself not using Curse at all,

Slowking @ Leftovers
Own Tempo
Modest Nature (+ sp att - att)

Psychic
Surf
Fire Blast
Slack Off

It's a tank or a wall depending on the situation. I chose this over Starmie because the HGSS gamecorner is pure BS (why can't I just buy my coins ;O; ) and it would miss on Psychic, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, etc. This works anyway, very hard to take down, can either do a ton of damage or stall if toxic spikes are around.

Kingdra @ Mystic Water
Swift Swim
Modest Nature (+ sp att, - att)

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Rain Dance
Dragon Pulse

My last addition to the team, and probably the only way of consistently outspeeding everything on the Champion's team and OHKOing with the appropriate move. Hits just everything hard.

Discarded options:

Feraligator -> Once my Gyarados got Ice Fang, it became useless

Lapras -> No useful resistances, not that fast.

Poliwrath -> I needed a fighting type move on my team, but Poliwrath learns only Wake-Up Slap, the inaccurate Dynamicpunch and the (ingame) useless Focus Punch. The only sets I could think of involved Hypnosis and either Focus Punch or Belly Drum+Wake-Up Slap. Unreliable at best.

Starmie -> Pretty darn good on paper except you have to spend your life at the game corner to get a good moveset. Plus, my Quagsire's named HURR and my Slowking is named DURR, and replacing slowking would ruin the picture.

Suicune -> meh, it's a legendary. I wanted to use it in my team, but besides the awsome bulk it doesn't add much in terms of resisances or useful abilities.

Any kind of suggestion for the final battle will be appreciated

Last edited:

CMHennigan

Tentacruel @ Poison Barb
Clear Body

Surf/Brine
Toxic Spikes
Sludge Bomb
Barrier/Rain Dance

Brine for finishing off pokes you've poison/stalled to <50% hp and rain dance if you use cruel as a lead, as he can help your other pokes set up pretty easily

Lanturn @ Leftovers/Wise Glasses/Choice specs
Volt Absorb
Modest (+sp.Atk, - Atk) / Calm(+ sp.def, - Atk

Thunderbolt/Thunder
Stockpile/Rain Dance
Surf
Confuse Ray/Ice Beam/Toxic/thunder Wave

Run thunder if you're running rain dance either on lanturn or a preceeding poke. You can run offensive with thunder/bolt, Ice beam, Surf, filler with a modest nature, or you can run defensive with surf, t-bolt, toxic, thunder wave/confuse ray with calm nature.

Gyarados @ Choice Scarf/leftovers/life orb
Intimidate

dragon claw
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang/Dragon Dance

Much better coverage with EQ/DragonClaw only resisted by bronzong/skarmory in which you'll switch to slowking for fireblast anyway.

Quagsire @ Muscle Band/Leftovers
Water Absorb

Earthquake
Sleep Talk
Curse
Rest

You lose water STAB but considering you have a water team, i don't think you're missing out much. This way you can curse up, rest to heal, and use sleep talk to pop an EQ and tear apart whatever you're attacking.

Slowking @ Choice Specs/wise glasses/leftovers
Own Tempo

Psychic
Nasty Plot
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Slack Off

Again, losing a water type STAB in exchange for nasty plot, which combined with decent defense and slack off, means you should be able to atleast get to +2, usually +4 and then psychic and fire blast work nicely.

Kingdra @ Mystic Water/Dragon Fang
Swift Swim
Modest Nature (+ sp att, - att)[/B]

Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Rain Dance
Dragon Pulse

Looks good to go.

Poliwrath- The only sets I could think of involved Hypnosis and either Focus Punch or Belly Drum+Wake-Up Slap. Unreliable at best. You can also teach him Brick Break, which is very reliable and would help you quite a bit

Any kind of suggestion will be appreciated[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Since when is Dragon Claw an Item? LoL

Entry Hazards server no real purpose Ingame , so I suggest Ice Beam > Toxic Spikes.

Ditto B1tch

Nice work, you've built an awesome team. Even being a water type team, it doesn't mean it must be composed exclusively of water type Pokémons. You could include one or two Pokemons of another type, to help you cover weaknesses. For example, an eletric move (or an eletric foe) is likely to deal your entire team, except Quagsire. It's too much responsability for your Quagsire to be the shield for your whole team, you'll be in trouble if it faints before.

Well, besides that tip, here are my suggestions for each Pokemon of your team:

;073; Tentacruel @Leftovers
Clear Body

Surf
Double Team
Sludge Bomb
Barrier

Surf and Sludge Bomb would still be in (I think that everbody teaches them to it because of the STAB). I would replace Toxic Spikes with Double Team. With a high evasiveness, foe will miss its moves several times, and when it hits, it'll deal a little damage because of barrier or because the natural Special Defense Tentacruel has (yes, it can happen be a super effective move, but this rarely will occur). Don't forget that Leftovers is still in effect all the time.

;171; Lanturn @ Magnet
Volt Absorb
Bold Nature (+def - att)

Ice Beam/Blizzard
Thunderbolt
Surf
Confuse Ray

Once that Lanturn is immuny to electric moves, opponents usually try to launch out a grass Pokemon. They'll prefer a grass instead ground, because ground is in disadvantage to water. I'd suggest to had taught Ice Beam to him instead to Kingdra. Teach Blizzard if you have already used Ice Beam. An ice type move in Lanturn's moveset will also allow him to take out dragon/ground Pokemons (we have some out and they're the nightmare of Lanturn).

;130; Gyarados @ Mystic Water
Intimidate

Aqua Tail
Bite
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

Let Strength with a slave, Gyarados can offer much more than the moves you posted. Being the Pokemon of your team with the higher Attack and being 4 times weak to electric, I would teach him Earthquake to cover that weakness. Despite using the TM26 with Gyarados, Quasire would still be able to have Earthquake in moveset because Quagsire learns it naturally at Level 36.

;195; Quagsire @ Soft Sand
Water Absorb

Earthquake
Waterfall
Curse
Counter/Ice Punch

You could replace Rain Dance with Ice Punch, but I prefer teaching him Counter. As it always attacking in the last turn because its crappy Speed, it shouldn't be that negative the fact Counter will always make Quagsire attacks last. Plus, Counter is your best choice against physical sweepers since Quagsire has much HP to take damage.

;199; Slowking @ Shell Bell
Own Tempo

Psychic
Surf
Fire Blast
Nasty Plot

Nasty Plot will make most of opponents affraid of it. I personally don't like Slowking very much as a battle Pokemon.

;230; Kingdra @ Mystic Water
Swift Swim
Modest Nature (+ sp att, - att)

Hydro Pump
Rain Dance
Dragon Pulse
Hyper Beam

I don't think that Ice Beam is necessary because its dragon-part cover its weakness to grass type (they'll cause normal damage instead being super effective) and also Kingdra is like to have an electric or dragon foe as opponent instead grass (opponent may guess that you'll have an ice move, so they avoid sending grass Pokemons to cause normal damage). Then, it was going to be a better idea teaching Ice Beam to another Pokémon that has grass weakness (Lanturn, for example).

---

After all this I need to say that I would replace Slowking with Poliwrath. Poliwrath can learn Psychic as well, and you could teach also Brick Break, Ice Punch and Bulk Up.

CMHennigan

... you suggested some of the same things i did, but also some things that don't make any sense. no one uses DT in game for one. For two, waterfall>Aqua tail for flinch chance, more accuracy, more uses, and utility. if you're going with a ridiculously strong attack like hyper beam, might as well go draco meteor to get STAB and not have the resting turn. there's NO reason to leave bite on gyarados, especially over dragon claw. I could keep going, but i'm at work... Oh, and toxic spikes normally isn't that great in game, but if you're going to use this team on the E4, then it's plausible. Optimally, all of their pokemon (besides the lead obviously) will start the match poisoned, and since you have a lot of bulky water types, it can help chip away hp if you use tentacruel as a lead.

Last edited:

edonub

Well I did beat the elite4 before watching the suggestions... had to make a couple tweaks to my team, most notably relying on specs Thunder in the rain to bypass completely the insane amount of evasion hax. Geez, I completely forgot that in this elite 4, half the pokes would carry Double Team. In the end, nothing caused me problems, Lance was a clean Kingdra sweep with Gyarados gone and Rain Dance up, and Ice Beam was more than needed to deal with the 3 dragonite.
Had to soft reset after some extremely bad luck ending up with a +6 evasion Umbreon at some point, but everything else went smoothly. The whole team was at level 40-41 in the hall of fame.

Now I'm looking for Giga Drain to fill Tentacruel's last slot, so I can deal with Misty's Quagsire much more easily. As for my own Quagsire, RestTalk with mono ground attacking move is kind of boring to use ingame. Levitate and flying types completely wall me, 10 pp go down quick, etc.
I'll probably teach it Toxic or something instead, when I get my hands on it.

So far, I've beaten lt. Surge and Sabrina and I'm going forward.. Thanks for the suggestions.

Aura Sensei™

User Title
Return > Bite on Gyarados is better for extra Neutral Coverage.

Hyper Beam? Just no. Draco Meteor > Hyper Beam for sheer power.

edonub

And here i go, all badges obtained. It was a pretty fun run. Any flaws for the battle with Red I'm overlooking? To be honest I'm only concerned with Venusaur, after that it should be a pretty smooth ride.