• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SoulSilver Wi-fi Battling Team - First Try!

Aizle Syracuse

Cannot fly.
Hello! ^.^ It is very gracious of you to visit this thread and I'm much obliged; many thanks ~ I am using the SoulSilver version as stated in the title and will be utilizing this team primarily over link. Its principal function seems to be that of a Hail team of some sort. Offense, Defense, Stall... I'm relatively positive it rests more or less in the area of Offense... though, given my inexperience, I can't be sure. >w<

I suppose I should disclose the fact that I am completely new to the concept of competitive battling; that is to say I have never battled with anything that could be remotely considered a 'team' thus far and I believe I would like to try. =D It should be important to note that, at the moment, I only posses three of the Pokémon listed- an Eevee that plays the role of Glaceon-to-be, a fully trained Weavile, and a fully trained Starmie. >w< I would prefer to retain the Hail-type theme and Pokémon I have chosen partially because I have gone to extensive lengths in my endeavor to develop their individual roles effectively, I have identified everything that'll need to be done in order to obtain this team, and I'm quite partial to the Pokémon themselves. ^w^; That said, all suggestions, including those regarding a change of team members, are welcome and will be adequately considered. I understand my experience in this area is far inferior to practically everyone here on Serebii and therefore I have no right to completely dismiss anything said in response to my request for a RMT. Now then...

Spr_4p_460_m.png

Abomasnow ♂
Hasty (+Spe/-Def)
@Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 130 Atk/126 SpA/252 Spe
-Wood Hammer/Grass Knot
-Blizzard
-Earthquake
-Giga Drain/Hidden Power (Fire)

I am the least confident concerning the role of Abomasnow other than his obvious duty to the team as hail starter. Consequently his EVs/Nature are more than open for debate... ^ ^; Anywho, I suppose it would be favorable to send him out after Gliscor sets up Stealth Rock... maybe via U-Turn? o.o I've given him Wood Hammer to work with as a powerful STAB and good move to use against Pokémon like Swampert. Because of the HP loss induced by the Hammer, I assume Leftovers or a Big Root - obviously the latter only if used in conjunction with Leech Seed - would be rather essential. OwO Blizzard is another strong STAB meant to take advantage of the hail's accuracy boost in addition to potentially wiping clear an opposing Hippowdon. Earthquake would take care of any Fire or Steel types attempting to cause problems... though I'm not entirely sure about that whole thing because of Abomasnow's speed (or lack of which). o.o Leech Seed would assist in the recovering of HP while Protect would allow for an extra turn of Hail damage and Leftovers regeneration. ^w^

EDIT: Using Smogon's damage calculator, I've discovered that utilizing the EV distribution I had previously given, Abomasnow does not possess enough bulk to survive many of the favorite attacks from common threats. In light of this, I've attempted to make appropriate accommodations. c:

EDIT the 2nd: I've significantly altered this fellow's focus by switching him from defensive to offensive; I believe allowing him to remain as he was previously would only slow the team down. =3

Spr_4p_461_m.png

Weavile ♂
Jolly (+Spe/-SpA)
@Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
-Night Slash
-Brick Break
-Aerial Ace
-Ice Punch

Hopefully this set will allow Weavile to function well as a diverse physical sweeper; late game perhaps. OwO Night Slash is present due to its functionality as a nice Dark-type STAB attack that, if I am correct, would work well against opposing Starmie. Ice Punch serves as another good STAB which should produce favorable results in being used to take down Zapdos or Dugtrio. Aerial Ace is meant to operate as a defense against Fighting types and would deal out x4 damage to Breloom. =3 Brick Break concludes the set by providing coverage against Rock, Steel, and Dark types such as Tyranitar to which it would, if I'm thinking properly, spell certain death. No doubt Low Kick would perform better in the former situation but I doubt the monster king will be the only threat Weavile shall come across. OwO

Spr_4p_471.png

Glaceon ♀
Modest (+SpA/-Atk)
@Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 HP
-Wish
-Blizzard
-Shadow Ball
-Mirror Coat

I've been told a Blizzard from a Glaceon sporting Choice Specs is nothing short of frightening and, with a Special Attack such as Glaceon possesses, it isn't terribly difficult to see why. OwO I do wonder, however, if substituting NeverMeltIce for the Specs truly subtracts that much from an attack boasting such an absurd quantity of power to begin with... if used with Baton Pass and Barrier (or Ice Beam) instead of Mirror Coat and Shadow Ball, of course. >w< In any case, I'm certain Wish will make itself quite useful in the long run for the purpose of replenishing the team's other critical members. If Abomasnow were running Protect, for example, it could virtually guarantee the Wish's success provided I switch it in on the appropriate opponent. =D Shadow Ball and Mirror Coat would each serve well as an alternative to use against anything that may not necessarily be bowled over by Blizzard and Ice Beam would act merely as a back-up should Blizzard somehow become deprived of its PP. ^w^ Possessing the capability to Baton Pass a Barrier boost or two does appeal to me in theory though I'm not certain that it would function well enough in practice. o.o

EDIT: With a bit more thought, I've decided that a Wish/Mirror Coat combination should work quite well especially when taking into account the residual damage induced by Life Orb. =3 Shadow Ball is there to provide a nice alternative to use against anything that resists Blizzard, particularly Slowking.

Spr_4p_478.png

Froslass ♀
Timid (+Spe/-Atk)
@Brightpowder
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Spe/252 SpA/4 SpD
-Spikes
-Blizzard
-Thunder Wave/Destiny Bond
-Taunt

After only a few casual battles, I have quickly come to understand the crucial role entry hazards play in elimination of the opposing team's members. Being the only Ghost capable of setting up such impediments (with the Snow Cloak ability besides!) Froslass seems a prime candidate to me for a spot on the team. ^w^ Thunder Wave and Confuse Ray both minimize the chance of injury which further assists Froslass in fulfilling her obligation to set up Spikes. Of course, these status ailments also provide additional benefit later on to the team's remainder. =D Blizzard is present for largely the same reason as in the other sets.

EDIT: Refined a few details regarding her moveset ~

Spr_4p_472.png

Gliscor ♂
Jolly (+Spe/-SpA)
@Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Spe/180 HP/72 Atk/4 Def
-Roost
-Earthquake
-Fire Fang
-Stealth Rock

The immense dangers posed to a mono-type Hail team are something I've been warned about time and again... and for good reason, of course. =3 After much consideration, I believe Gliscor will prove most advantageous to the team ~ A fantastic resistance to Fighting and immunities to both Ground and Electric types as well as Sandstorm will, I believe, make him a great counter to many dangerous Pokémon. Earthquake should be enough to put down Heatran and could probably deal out decent quantities of damage to Infernape, Lucario, and Tyraniter. =D U-Turn allows for quick scouting and some amount of harm to Dark, Grass, and Psychic types. ^.^ Stealth Rock provides an additional entry hazard that takes care of the Flying types immune to Froslass's Spikes in addition to dispensing even more damage to those already affected. With Roost occupying the final slot, Gliscor can heal off any damage received via Hail interference, Life Orb deductions, and enemy attacks.

Spr_4h_121.png

Starmie
Modest (+SpA/-Atk)
@Leftovers/Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spe/252 SpA/4 Def
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Blizzard/Recover
-Rapid Spin

I've encountered far too many Gyarados to remain checkless in this area. o.o In any case, Stealth Rock would become a terrible misfortune for my entire team if allowed to persist. DX Starmie seemed to be the most logical option due to its Fighting/Fire resistances and STAB Surf for countering Rock, Ground and Fire; three chief threats to my team. =D Blizzard appears here for purposes akin to the others and Thunderbolt of course is to be rid of any Gyarados that may decide to rear its ugly head. My only concern is the fact that poor Starmie suffers from 4-slot syndrome... I would have to replace one of the afore mentioned moves in order to make room for Recover to heal off Hail/Life Orb damage. >w<

EDIT: Right now it's got Recover instead of Blizzard but I can easily alter that fact at any time. =3

Once again, thank you for taking time out of your day to read through what I've posted here, I'm certain any opinions I receive will remain invaluable - if not for this team, for future reference concerning others. ^.^

Last edited:

bryan.26

Ultimate Trainer
Wow man you sound like you really know what you're doing even though you seem new to this :O

qwerty1111

breeder/battler
you will need a counter to a scizor and other steel types
maybe getting fire fang on your gliscor would be nice

cillab99

I will battle you if you have 4th gen? Im testing my team

Aizle Syracuse

Cannot fly.
you will need a counter to a scizor and other steel types
maybe getting fire fang on your gliscor would be nice

Ah... I had noticed I was lacking a little in that area; though wouldn't Earthquake take care of most Steel types? OwO

Anywho, you're quite correct in that Scizor could end up becoming a real problem... >w< Which move do you think would be best to switch with Fire Fang? o.o

I will battle you if you have 4th gen? Im testing my team

Oh, I don't have this team yet... most of it anyway. ^ ^; Only the Weavile and Glaceon (Sneasel and Eevee right now... ´•w•`).

Last edited:

qwerty1111

breeder/battler
or maybe try getting hidden power fire on one of your pokes
but yeah, getting fire fang instead of u turn is the better idea

Aizle Syracuse

Cannot fly.
or maybe try getting hidden power fire on one of your pokes
but yeah, getting fire fang instead of u turn is the better idea

Hmm, okay ~ I wonder if I could get HP Fire on my Glaceon... o.o At its maximum potential, Hidden Power is stronger than Fire Fang, isn't it? ^w^

EDIT: I've just realized how silly that sounded. X'D Yes, you're probably right; I'll have to consider it ~ ^w^

Last edited:

noob21

3 sum!!!
if im not mistaken brightpowder is banned but this is a standeted hail team nothing really wrong here. I would suggest that you throw in clefable with magic gaurd unstead of gliscor/starmie because they both dont get an advantage in hail

Aizle Syracuse

Cannot fly.
if im not mistaken brightpowder is banned but this is a standeted hail team nothing really wrong here. I would suggest that you throw in clefable with magic gaurd unstead of gliscor/starmie because they both dont get an advantage in hail

Oh... it is isn't it? <XD Thank you for reminding me; I must've forgotten ~

What you say regarding Starmie and Gliscor is true of course, but without them both, my team falls apart. >w< Gliscor possess the only Fire-type attack on the entire team and therefore, without him, Forretress becomes an infinite wall and Scizor sweeps the whole thing. On the other hand, if I were to dismiss Starmie, I'd be left without a reliable Gyarados check or any means by which I can remove deadly entry hazards. D: In leu of the fact that 4:6 of the team possesses an Ice typing... I can't really do that either. e.e

Last edited:
Brightpowder is not banned in 4th gen games (though it is banned in Black and White).

I recommend dropping Weavile and Glaceon for a mixed Mamoswine and a Heatran. Weavile is basically completely inferior to Mamoswine in most cases and Heatran will help with the fire weakness.

Otherwise this team is reasonable for a first team. A lot of weaknesses but believe me, I've seen FAR worse for a first try. Hail is pretty much a useless team type in gen 4 (its very good in Black / White though). This is the only team in gen 4 to have tournament success with it.