• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sound or Not?

Should there be a Sound type?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
Do you support Sound type? I do. It sounds like an interesting type and it's not at all similar to any other types.
So, what's your opinion on Sound type?

Dattebayo

Banned
It depends, what does a sound type do?

Gentleman

Sitting on Horsea
I'm perplexed as to why there's a fair bit of support for the addition of new types. Mostly because the majority of arguments for adding, say a Light type or a Sound type or Pool-Noodle type boil down to something along the lines of, "Just because we can." As far as I can tell, Light usually argues that there's some kind of arbitrary requirement that there must be a Light type, because there is also a Dark type, which strikes me as just a little superficial a reason to add a new type. I'm unfamiliar with the arguments for Sound, but I will assume that, unless I'm told to the contrary, there's similar reasoning (along the lines of thematic purposes only).

The best I've heard of in favor of a new type is that it would add some theoretical wealth of new design possibilities. The counterargument, though, also exists that there's very little that couldn't possibly be covered by the current types without interfering with the current system, and I'm inclined to agree.

Generally, very little attention is given to any possible practical impact of a new type, which I find odd, as practicality is mostly the reason behind the addition of the only two types that were ever added to the original 15. Psychic more or less dominated the original R/B/Y scene so heavily that it simply couldn't be ignored. Henceforth, the Dark type was introduced so as to help bring the Psychic types back to Earth. Steel, I believe, was added mostly because the so-called "Defensive type" given to Rock as a title was silly, given that Rock was weaker to more types than it actually resisted. Additionally, Steel resisted Psychic, so I guess an argument could be made that it was further helping to keep them in check.

Anyhow, no such noticeable issue in regards to the various typings seems to exist today. No issue (involved with the types themselves) so dominating in its presence that even the people who aren't "in tune" with competitive battling can see it. From here, there's probably a much greater possibility that the addition of a new type would cause new problems, rather than fix some unseen old ones.

So, on the whole, I'm simply not seeing the support for new typings. Sound, Light, Pool-Noodle, or otherwise.

Trainer_Jason

I guess that Exploud and its pre-evolution are sound types, Screech and Roar are sound types. I don't think that they should make Sound-type pokemon because usually, types are based on elements and sound dosen't make that much damage. I guess that it could be a Sub-Type like Ice, Ghost and Rock, but probably not a regular type you know.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
No.

I'm all in favour of a new type (but really, they don't need to add one or anything), whatever it may be, but a sound type sounds ridiculous to me (no pun intended).

Then again, this might be a joke topic :p

The counterargument, though, also exists that there's very little that couldn't possibly be covered by the current types without interfering with the current system, and I'm inclined to agree.

Personally, I find the entire, "it'd ruin the beautiful balance of Pokemon types" argument to be rubbish, because Pokemon types aren't all that balanced to start off with. From whatever I've thought of the matter, a new type wouldn't harm the balance in any way, and if properly done, it would rectify the imbalance in certain types. But that's just me, and it's all up to Game Freak eventually :p

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Do you support Sound type?

No.

It sounds like an interesting type

OPINION

and it's not at all similar to any other types.

Whismur, Loudred and Exploud all say "hi" with a "sonic boom." Normal type can represent "sound" type.

So, what's your opinion on Sound type?

Don't need/want it.

But kudos to you for not being like a light speculator with this sound type discussion. (not being sarcastic)

Serebii!

I dont think they need a sound type. What would it be super effective and not very effective against same with the light type some people want

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
What would resist a sound type, maybe introduce it alongside an earmuffs type?

No we don't need a new type there is little point and we have 17 types already, so why another new one.

To tell you the truth the new type speculation only started because of the game name WHITE and then people said there would be a light type, then somebody suggested a sound type in reaction and then there was a thread about a Love type, personally if you look at it the Light type only came up because of the names Black and white:

Unjustified?

Yes.

><
^

Indragon

Back in the USSR
From what I've heard, Light type speculation has been going on since the days of GSC, not just because of B&W.

Now, excuse me while I go make a thread advocating the awesomeness of the Earmuff type.

Gentleman

Sitting on Horsea
Personally, I find the entire, "it'd ruin the beautiful balance of Pokemon types" argument to be rubbish, because Pokemon types aren't all that balanced to start off with. From whatever I've thought of the matter, a new type wouldn't harm the balance in any way, and if properly done, it would rectify the imbalance in certain types. But that's just me, and it's all up to Game Freak eventually :p

The particular quote you were, uh, quoting was more a reference as to the idea that most possible designs that could be made for a Light, Sound, etc. type could already fit in under another, currently existing typing. It wasn't really dealing with the gameplay aspects so much as it was the thematic.

Anyhow, while there may or may not exist imbalances that occur specifically in the type chart, I think a major point would be that they simply don't seem obvious enough that Gamefreak could sit down and say, "Okay, this is definitely an issue we need to fix." I personally think the existing system is fine as is, so... Y'know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. A new type may or may not correct some possible imbalance, but it could, in unseen ways, make some problems worse or create new problems. The possible benefits, for me, wouldn't seem to outweigh the risks involved.

While the type system may not be perfectly balanced, it's balanced enough that I don't think it needs any major alterations. A new type added for practicality's sake, I'd think, would be only the most drastic of drastic measures to fix a problem with the typing. It's when there's nothing else that could possibly work this out, and it's the equivalent of bringing the sledgehammer to fix the problem. As seen by Stealth Rocks, there are ways to influence how effective certain types are in the game without going so far as to introduce a new type.

And that's not even going through the disconnect between thematic and practical aspects of types. Something that'd help counteract, say, Rock types, might have to lead to thematic decisions that the fanbase or the people making the Pokemon might not be comfortable with. It probably wouldn't produce something we're expecting, at any rate. There are ripple effects going on here. A type introduced for gameplay reasons would have to be worked with thematically, and a type that was introduced for thematic reasons would have to be dealt with so as to fit into gameplay.

Indragon

Back in the USSR
Anyhow, while there may or may not exist imbalances that occur specifically in the type chart, I think a major point would be that they simply don't seem obvious enough that Gamefreak could sit down and say, "Okay, this is definitely an issue we need to fix." I personally think the existing system is fine as is, so... Y'know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. A new type may or may not correct some possible imbalance, but it could, in unseen ways, make some problems worse or create new problems. The possible benefits, for me, wouldn't seem to outweigh the risks involved.

Just my personal opinion, but I believe Dragon types are a bit too overpowered and going by the fact that each generation adds new and powerful toys for these Pokemon, they might get even more broken. Same with Steel types - they aren't overpowered per se, but they are extremely dominating due to their advantage against Dragons (though this advantage is still iffy sometimes). Another defensive type that isn't Steel might be welcome.

And like I said, imo a well implemented new type would not create any new problems, but this depends on what Game Freak does. Anyhow, what's life without a bit of risk, eh? :p I'd say a bit of risk is good if it improves stuff.

While the type system may not be perfectly balanced, it's balanced enough that I don't think it needs any major alterations. A new type added for practicality's sake, I'd think, would be only the most drastic of drastic measures to fix a problem with the typing. It's when there's nothing else that could possibly work this out, and it's the equivalent of bringing the sledgehammer to fix the problem. As seen by Stealth Rocks, there are ways to influence how effective certain types are in the game without going so far as to introduce a new type.

IMO, some better balance wouldn't go amiss, we have the godly types like Dragon, Steel and to an extent, Water but we also have types which fail badly, like Fire (somewhat), Grass and especially Poison.

And I'm not saying a new type should be added for practicality's sake, just mentioning that a new type will not be the end of the world with regards to type balance, as many people claim.

And I don't want Stealth Ice

No, honestly I don't :p

But once again, this is largely just my opinion. I'm quite indifferent to a new type actually, it'd be interesting and a pleasant surprise were one to be ever introduced, but I couldn't care less if they didn't do so.

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
I really think that it would ruin the gameplay if they started adding random types after a 2-gen hiatus, although it is fun to upset the "metagame". (I tried to be a stat nerd, but I failed. It's too difficult. Please forgive me. Instead I just laugh at the people who spend hours making one team that will be useless in one month because of the "metagame".)

While we're at it, "Light" really sounds stupid to me. As a concept, it's really very wishy-washy, since we're never going to actually have a laser pokemon, so it'll just end up representing goodness, candy and magical unicorn rainbow butterflies. And "Sound" is even worse... it's not even physical in real life, it's a freaking pressure wave.

In fact, Earmuff is starting to sound more viable than anything else. It's an actual physical object, for a change! Oh, and the connecty-thingee is plastic, so it can enter the Ice < Rock < Steel triad (below rock, above ice). And while we're at it, let's make it weak to Fighting so we can have Regimuff!

Indragon

Back in the USSR
I really think that it would ruin the gameplay if they started adding random types after a 2-gen hiatus, although it is fun to upset the "metagame". (I tried to be a stat nerd, but I failed. It's too difficult. Please forgive me. Instead I just laugh at the people who spend hours making one team that will be useless in one month because of the "metagame".)

Ironically, it's probably possible to randomly pull up a team that I made in the latter days of 2008, and it'll upset the metagame :p

In fact, Earmuff is starting to sound more viable than anything else. It's an actual physical object, for a change! Oh, and the connecty-thingee is plastic, so it can enter the Ice < Rock < Steel triad (below rock, above ice). And while we're at it, let's make it weak to Fighting so we can have Regimuff!

Yes! Earmuff type has a supporter now! Admit it - if anything deserves to be a type in gen 5, it's a earmuff!

Now, just to release Regimuff to the world and set my ingenious plan of world domination in action!

...wait, wut?

Mr Dragon

Crazy Dude
Ironically, it's probably possible to randomly pull up a team that I made in the latter days of 2008, and it'll upset the metagame :p

Yes! Earmuff type has a supporter now! Admit it - if anything deserves to be a type in gen 5, it's a earmuff!

Now, just to release Regimuff to the world and set my ingenious plan of world domination in action!

...wait, wut?

God Indragon I Jokingly mention the idea of the earmuff type and you already want it for world domination, well tough I want that.

Anyway, even though what you said there was true, (the meta-game part not the earmuff part) Pokemon does have a fast moving metagame, so it can be difficult to keep a working team, especially because the Pokemon may be in ubers in less than a week. (dammit latias)

Indragon

Back in the USSR
God Indragon I Jokingly mention the idea of the earmuff type and you already want it for world domination, well tough I want that.

Would you consider a coalition?

Anyway, even though what you said there was true, (the meta-game part not the earmuff part) Pokemon does have a fast moving metagame, so it can be difficult to keep a working team, especially because the Pokemon may be in ubers in less than a week. (dammit latias)

Yeah, that's sadly the case and tier changes are indeed the worst of it.

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
While we're at it, "Light" really sounds stupid to me. As a concept, it's really very wishy-washy, since we're never going to actually have a laser pokemon, so it'll just end up representing goodness, candy and magical unicorn rainbow butterflies. And "Sound" is even worse... it's not even physical in real life, it's a freaking pressure wave.
Psychic isn't physical in real life, neither is Dark. Ghost type and Dragon type are based on fictitious creatures, so neither of them are physical in real life either.
What would resist a sound type, maybe introduce it alongside an earmuffs type?
Steel, metal muffles sound.

Josiah

is your favorite
I definitely support it. We don't need it obviously, but I don't think it would hurt the type table. Plus, there are a lot of ideas I'd like to see explored- howler monkeys, sonar bats, sonar dolphins, cicadas (Ninjask doesn't really fit into my vision of an obnoxiously loud bug), a howling wolf, a rattlesnake, a trumpeting elephant. I know that we have monkeys, bats, cicadas, a rattlesnake, and elephants, but I've always felt there's a little something missing from them. Although I support adding more types period, this is the one I really want.

It could be good against Steel-rattling them with vibrations, good against Dragons-reclusive creatures that don't like to be bothered, weak to Poison-you can't talk all that well with a sore throat, and ineffective against Grass-plants can't hear.

I know I'm sounding (HA) very noobish right now, but I really like this type.

Being completely honest though, I think it'd be easier to balance the table by introducing more than one type. It's hard to give one type all the matchups necessary for a repair-which is why Dark and Steel were added. Two disadvantages for Psychic, and two advantages for Fighting.

Last edited:

GoombaGeek

Begone!!
Psychic isn't physical in real life, neither is Dark. Ghost type and Dragon type are based on fictitious creatures, so neither of them are physical in real life either.
Sound, however, does not invoke the supernatural. STILL THE ODD ONE OUT FTW

Rayquaza Master777

#1 May Fanboy
Sound, however, does not invoke the supernatural. STILL THE ODD ONE OUT FTW

Dark doesn't either. It just invokes darkness and nighttime.

Status
Not open for further replies.