1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Spaceworld GS Demo Leak

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by sebas001, May 31, 2018.

Tags:
  1. sebas001

sebas001 New Member

Check SciresM twitter.

2. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Kage-Pikachu likes this.
  3. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Well-Known Member

Kurusu had evolutions? O_O

And Beta Noctowl looks So. Much. Better. How do you go from that to....an ordinary anime owl?!

Kage-Pikachu and Trainer Yusuf like this.
  4. MalcolmBelmontS

MalcolmBelmontS Well-Known Member

Wow, we could have had a Fire/Water Fire Seal

Kage-Pikachu and Trainer Yusuf like this.
  5. Orphalesion

And Vulpix and Growlithe prevos!

And what looks like a Mewoth prevo/split evo (probably became Sneazel?)

And a Weepinbell-equivalent to Bellossom

And some sort of electric tiger!

Trainer Yusuf likes this.
  6. MalcolmBelmontS

MalcolmBelmontS Well-Known Member

All of this is extremely fasincating. Orginally Gen 2 was going to cover all of Japan

7. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

Original town map with real life locations is here:
    [​IMG]

For reference:
    Tokyo = Saffron City. In the demo, entire Kanto is Tokyo.
    Hakodate: Pueltown, Almia. In the demo, entire Sinnoh+Almia is Hakodate.
    Nagoya = Violet City.
    Kyoto = Ecrutreak City
    Osaka = Goldenrod City.
    Kita Kyushu=Rustoboro City. In the demo, entire Hoenn is Kita kyushu.

The reason why Lugia is not in the demo is because Silver version was rumored to have a different selection of National Pokémon.

Edit: Semi-related, there is another notable demo. Ruby Sapphire's demo from Pokémo Festa 2002. While we have debugging prototype we don't have that demo IIRC. If that demo was a full beta like this almost full Alpha, then we that comes, we are going to party like it is 2002..

Kage-Pikachu likes this.
  8. LinksOcarina

LinksOcarina The true master

Did a full report on this all for my website TechRaptor. The news is spreading good but I was able to talk to a few of the people working on the data mine...a lot of good info like how they are trying to localize names for Pokemon that never got them, and guessing based on the types and attached info from items how some of these Pokemon evolved.

It is a treasure trove and so damn interesting. Not sure if I can promote a link to the information I wrote but if need be check it out on TechRaptor.

9. magma grunt edu

magma grunt edu casual hardcore fan

After looking at the sprites(links:https://lakevalor.net/threads/pokémon-gold-silver-beta-sprites.21310/;http://is2.4chan.org/vp/1527767421083.png), overall i'm glad they redesigned a lot of those and removed a lot of babies entirely (even though they added some later like mime jr.). Here's my thoughts on the ones i liked the most/better gen 1 sprites:

gen 1 sprites:
    - both bulbasaur's sprites are really great, better than the definitive ones.
    - chariard's pose is weird but i kinda like it. Sandslash also looks great.
    - pikachu looks once again absolutely adorable, with both sprites. Every gen 2 pikachu sprite is IMO the best pikachu ever looked.
    - dugtrio's action pose is really good and the laid back definitive one was a step back.
    - Weezing looks very intimidating instead of the "pleas kill me" look he has in the definitive one.
    - Jinx...WOW jynx looks incredible. I never thought i would like to use jynx but if she had this sprite i would definitely pick her. The pose really represents what jynx is supposed to be. And look at that backsprite, such charm.
    - fearow's backsprite is cool

gen 2:

the good:
    - I like pikalithe and it's evolutions but it's so similar to a fusion between the two while the final evolution is too similar to arcanine.
    - The water starter. It's final evolution is reminiscent of samurot somewhat and while really simple, it looks incredible.
    - while noctowl's head looks similar to pidgeot, i absolutely love the design. maybe give it a different coloration and it would be perfect. What a setback the noctowl we got is.
    - The bird that looks like baby articuno with a dark plumage above is super cute from below and super scary from above. I love it. Wow, that was actually supposed to e mantine. I like mantine but this little guy shoud have stayed.
    - AWWW baby pichu is so freaking adorable.
    - the shark with the anchor, what an amazing idea for a water/steel type. I wouldn't mind seeing this one in gen 8.
    - I love how adorable the white phanpy is, referencing ganesha.
    - politoed's design was more interesting that what we end up getting.
    - magby spiky design was way cooler that the round one we got.
    - Bellossom looks scary. While i love both designs, i'm happy we got the one we got.
    - I don't quite understan the fire seel but the design is cool.
    - murkrow witch's hat should have stayed in the final design.
    - Blissey's design looks better than the final one. I like it a lot
    - I would love a yeti pokemon like the ones of the demo. While similar to the sandshrew line somewhat, it also reminds me of the concept for snorunt.
    - now THAT'S a dragon! kingdra's chinese dragon touches makes it look like a sea shenron and i love it so much.
    - beta raikou looks like it would be a dark/electric, a combinaion i've been wanting forever and i'm liking the hyena design.
    - beta entei looks like a generic fire dog but i would love it if it stayed like that.
    - beta sneasel looks adorable but i'm so glad we got the final one instead.
    - aipom actually looks cute, the final design is way worse.
    - and look, leafeon was already here. It was supposed to evolve with a leaf stone.

the bad:
    - bayleef...i think that's more of a placeholder than the meant design because one of these things is not like the others. I can't even understand what it was supposed to be
    - If it was to be evolving into something that stupid, i'm glad qwilfish stayed as it was. It's evolution looks so bad.
    - And speaking of water types, that murray also looks pretty stupid.
    - ditto's baby(/evolution?) is so unnecessary so good thing it was scrapped.
    - baby doduo looks like 3 birds stuck in a feathered elastic. Kinds reminds me of ruffet.
    - what kind of improvement was ledian supposed to be to ledyba? It's almost the same design, just less interesting.
    - Could shellder evolve into slowbro's tail by an alternative route like king's rock? I'm glad this is not a thing.
    - baby grimer...what were they thinking?
    - Hitmontop is just scary. Where's his face? Does he have 2 faces and 3 legs when he stands up? *shudder*.
    - Weepinbell's evolution looks like a diseased weepinbell that gained legs and is simply waiting to die.
    - scizor's claw hands look terrifying. like he has chain chomp piranhas for hands.
    - I really like the pinsir/heracross fusion except the face/mask/eye/mouth thing. It is a deal breaker.
    - HAHAHAHA look at the lickitung's evolution. It may not be as bad as lickilicky but it's not an improvement in any way.
    - Poor beta suicune. He got the simipour treatment and the droopy hair isn't great.

10. Marbi Z

Marbi Z Lop-And-Bunny!!!

I'm surprised that so many of them didn't make the final cut! Maybe they'll reuse some of the base designs for next gen?

11. BCVM22

BCVM22 Well-Known Member

Maybe. Remember this has all been in Game Freak's archives since 1997. They've had twenty years to continue mining unused prototypes, and they have - you can see any number of unused designs that were incorporated into Generations III-VII. It's not particularly new to them.

12. WhiteBlair

WhiteBlair Master Breeder.

Considering Leafeon is later used for Generation 4, we can't underestimate the possibility.

13. Orphalesion

I think they used quite a few of the designs for later already: I can imagine the voodoo doll becoming the Banette line, for example. Lickilicky, Tangrowth and Leafeon were resurrected for Gen 4. The fuzzy thing with the heart on the head might have either become Blissey or Audino and the white, fuzzy yeti-thing might have become Abomasnow or Crabominable (or both) The Pelican Eel/Angler combo might be an early hunttail, the anker-shark an early Sharpedo...
    The (way too many) babies and Fartfetch'd's and Weepinbell's evos aside we might only be missing the electric tiger (might have inspired both Raikou and Luxray?) and that bizarre bubble-lion....

The over-abundance and some of the choices of baby pokemon (a baby Goldeen?!) makes me wonder whether they originally intended to give most evolution lines babies...

Also anybody notice that neither the Turtle nor the earlier design for Hitmontop from that Beta-Gold/Silver artwork is on the sprite sheet?

14. LinksOcarina

It's likely there were no baby pokemon as a concept, just pre-evolutions for a ton of 2-stage lines to fill out the dex.

A lot of them are unnecessary but cool to see them existing at one point if you ask me.

15. R_N

R_N Better Name GET

There's so much to take in here, but I find it interesting that happiness doesnt' seem to exist at all. No pokemon evolve by that, which is most notable with all the baby pokemon evolving by level instead of just a fselect few. The other happiness Pokemon evolve either by level or by stone.
    The fact there was a "Poison" stone at all is also interesting! Umbreon was a poison type

Also seems like the weirdness with Azurill being a normal type was going to be a bit more common. not-mimejr and the ponyta pre-evo were both normal type.

I wish they had gone back to more of these scrapped evolutions. "Madame" would probably look pretty neat in the modern style.
    While some of these were probably inspirations, I think more are unused than you think. The shark probably had nothing more to do with Sharpedo than the scrapped gen 1 shark wit hthe harpoon nose.
    Likewise, I feel like calling the two ice wolves the inspiration for Abomasnow or Crabrawler is just trying to draw connections. If they had existed it's likely we'd still get Abomasnow & Crabrawler later on. I mean, after all, we still got a yeti crab after getting a yeti tree.
    It's because those designs weren't necessarily made with being Pokemon in mind. They were just generic pokemon concepts made for the magazine, to hype up the idea of a sequel to Pokemon. The tyranitar proves these designs were probably considered (I mean they were drafted up, may as well), but either immediately thrown out or changed dramatically.
    Tyranitar also isn't here. Considering the chaotic development of this (& gen 1, for that matter) it's possible they were still adding Pokemon even at this point.. Snubbull, not-leafeon & Togepi being at the very end goes with that too.

16. Orphalesion

To me they look nothing like wolves, to me look like, as I wrote in my post, "fuzzy yeti things". So excuse me for misinterpreting a badly drawn, tiny, sprite.

17. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

No, those designs were scrapped for March 1998 release, which was the intended release date. Sugimori has apparently claimed those designs were used just for illustrative purposes in that interview, but we know this claim is false.

Due to the delay, however, Tyranitar was rescued from the scrap heap.

Edit: Partially ninja'd by R_N.

Orphalesion likes this.
  18. LinksOcarina

Wait...so the Tyranitar was not originally supposed to be in Gold/Silver and was scrapped?

I'm actually trying to put a timetable together for all of this at this point for a follow up article after this grail was found. Is there any confirmation on that that is concrete?

19. R_N

R_N Better Name GET

I called them wolves since that was part of their names and I was just referencing them while writing the response. They're clearly also based on yeti concepts which is why I kept their comparison points rather than linking them with lycanroc or w/e
    http://dogasu.bulbagarden.net/features/sugimori_kens_works.html

20. LinksOcarina

Holy crap...

I got a lot of research to uncover now.

Were doing a year of Pokemon article series at the moment on the website I write for...but god damn there is a lot of stuff to look into that may or may not be hard to track 20 years on.