• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Spaceworld GS Demo Leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I'm the most upset about what they did to Girafarig. I always really, really disliked Girafarig's design, and it turns out that has mostly to do with the stupid, fugly, and stupid little "Chain Chomp" head it has on it's tail. If it had heads on either end of it's body and the Dark type like here, then it'd be one of my favourites (and I could really use some favourites in Gen 2...).
The one one that hurts me the second-most after Girafarig is Noctowl. Noctowl is another pokemon I always really disliked, because it's just an Anime Owl, turns out it could have been something better.

With some of these designs it almost really seems like they went "Yeah it looks alright, but can you make it look 30% blander and 20% more boring?"

Yea it looks pretty neat (the Noctowl design). But I'm wondering if they might have cut it since it kind of resembles the Pidgey line a bit.

The Admiral

the star of the masquerade
I'm pretty sure they changed them so that little kids would be less likely to crap their pants in abject terror. I mean, sure, Girafarig isn't much better, but Noctowl is a lot friendlier-looking judging by that sprite.

I'll tell you one thing I'm really glad for: Girafarig being changed to Normal/Psychic typing as opposed to Normal/Dark. Normal/Dark is pretty pointless; Normal/Psychic at least covers itself a little.

Also whoever works on the Google doc needs to go back and update that the old Porygon2 design was not inspired by a Mister Donut mascot, but rather that the design was recycled from this game for the Mister Donut mascot. (At least one designer from Game Freak ended up working for Mister Donut at some point during the intervening five years, according to someone I know offsite who's been keeping up with this.) At least, as far as I can tell, the mascot was introduced in 2003.

Kage-Pikachu

while i'm usually hesitant to say X beta turned into Y final (see: my views on "Plux"), I agree with thinking the "bird" was Mantine.
It is:
-flat, with a wavy tail
-light blue underbelly with dark blue top
-while the patterns are different, they did try to maintain the eye motif. I always wondered why Mantine had those 2 weird circles....
-Speaking of, I suspect this design was referenced again for Mantyke who has the same face-on-back gimmick, though without the angel/demon connotation
Spr_b_4d_458.png

-water/flying
-the flat mouth in particular, alongside the general shape, reminds me of mantas
-probably also faintly based on a kite like mantine vaguely is, but that's more subjective.
-while the names are entirely different, the japanese name still mentions jumping, presumably out of the water and doesnt actually fly. like mantine's behavior does.

Well, it wasn't that early in development, but yes it was at a point where they hadn't done anything with it . Which is my point, the TM/HM learn list doesn't tell us anything. None of the Pokemon had anything done on their TM/HM list which means that Antimon was likely not set for getting a move set more than Transform.
That was a good catch, Mantine didn't even cross my mind when I saw that design.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
That was a good catch, Mantine didn't even cross my mind when I saw that design.
Yeah, Mantyke's face-like pattern on its back and Mantine's eye-like marks on its back were kinda suspicious. But it also had an angel motif unlike Mantyke and Mantine, which kinda took away the suspicion.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I’m interested in the HM moves in this game. Were they trying to give the old HM’s new names or what?
Maybe they were coming up with a new set of HM moves with similar functions to the older HMs but the move is done in a different way.

Baggie_Saiyan

When I first saw beta Mantine, I did not think that was Mantine. I thought it was some generic bird thing they put as a placeholder for another Pokémon also that never made it into fruition.
I definitely didn't either until I watched TheKingNappy's hour long video on this (easily the best dissection video btw) honestly thought it was a scrapped Togekiss that they changed to Togetic and then decided to re-purpose for Gen 4.

Takoto

Prince of Ampora
I've been playing through the demo and going through past the demo the last couple of days * o * When the news that someone might have gotten ahold of a legitimate copy broke over on a certain website (saw the original thread), I was super sceptical but optimistic and oh man am I happy we finally get to see it and play the demo and go through and look at what the world/Johto could have looked like... I put several videos up on my YouTube cause I wanted to share my excited but even those can't really describe how happy/excited I am to finally be able to see the beta !!

...I love beta and concept stuff aha.

I'm very surprised though, at some of the baby Pokémon we got in the end - I'm surprised they scrapped baby Meowth, and I wish they hadn't have scrapped that version of Mime Jr and the baby Doduo... they're both so cute * w * Oh, and baby Paras... and the evolution of Pinsir... aaa

Orphalesion

I'll tell you one thing I'm really glad for: Girafarig being changed to Normal/Psychic typing as opposed to Normal/Dark. Normal/Dark is pretty pointless; Normal/Psychic at least covers itself a little.

If they had kept the two heads like they should have it would have made a pretty good Psychic/Dark type, though. I hope if they make more regional forms in the future we'll get exactly that. OG Girafarig with Psychic/Dark.

Platoq

pocket monster train
If they had kept the two heads like they should have it would have made a pretty good Psychic/Dark type, though. I hope if they make more regional forms in the future we'll get exactly that. OG Girafarig with Psychic/Dark.
At least in the beta normal/dark would make sense since the two types were supposed to be opposites of each other

Orphalesion

At least in the beta normal/dark would make sense since the two types were supposed to be opposites of each other

And in the final product Psychic/Dark would have made sense, due to those two types being "sort of" opposites of one another, with the two new Eeveelutions and all ;-)

FlorgesPower2

Anime fanatic
Was it ever stated how they even got a hold of something like this?

For 20 years the most we'd ever thought we'd get from this was the concept art of the beta Fire and Water starter, that weird Clefairy/Hitmontop mashup monstrosity, beta Titoruga, and 2 headed Girafirag. It's crazy to see.

R_N

Was it ever stated how they even got a hold of something like this?

For 20 years the most we'd ever thought we'd get from this was the concept art of the beta Fire and Water starter, that weird Clefairy/Hitmontop mashup monstrosity, beta Titoruga, and 2 headed Girafirag. It's crazy to see.
Just an anonymous source in a discord channel who passed it to one of the dataminers. There was a whole song & dance being passed around on 4chan involving store owners and such but the dataminers have stated its bunk & they don't know who the original guy was or how he got it.

What probably happened is something along the lines of someone at the expo did not send back or dispose of the demos and it either sat in storage for ages until someone else, possibly a private collector, found it and uploaded. It, surprisingly, happens with prototypes fairly often. It basically happened with the Nintendo Playstation, which was just...sitting in someone's attic for decades until one day a guy read a reddit post about the thing, went "oh hey thats in my attic" and got it out.
Where private collectors get their hands on stuff also isn't really known and there's a big issue in game preservation with collectors who could be hoarding all these games. It literally just happened earlier this week that 70+ japanese (primarily cd-rom based) games that were thought to either not exist or were so rare they may as well not have existed were leaked out of a private collector's inner circle's private torrent folder.

Rikazan

Heracross and Pinsir's missing link
Heracross confirmed as originally being Pinsir's evolution makes me rather happy. Been thinking that for years.

While I can see why a large amount of the Baby pokemon were scrapped [Likly due to being pointless] I don't see why Baby Meowth didn't make the cut. That would have sold so well; and kept the parity with Pikachu. Also; the fact so many pointless babies were scrapped in the past really begs why Chingling exists.

Also have to wonder if Mime/Jr and Lickylicky made it, why Farfetch'd evolution hasn't. People have been going on about that for years. I mean, we complained hard enough about Flare Blitz Flareon and it eventually happened...

Also; both Pinsir and Bellsprout; both exclusives to Blue; had scrapped evolutions. Poor Blue version.

BlisseyEX

The happiness Pokémon
This beta leak has amazed me since it was found it's really a gem. But I may be biased since Gen 2 is my favourite gen as it was what I grew up with so welp.

My opinions on the sprites:
Gen 1:
Pidgey's back sprite was amazing, I feel quite bad for the poor bird now.
Vulpix's back sprite = fluff ♥
Poliwag looks so goofy I love it
Poliwhirl looks cool too
I love how the Chansey looks like a drawing but I prefer the final form.

Dugtrio = uhm

Overall I like that they were originally going to attempt to fit more of the Pokémon on the screen than what they finally did.

Gen 2:
Unpopular opinion I don't like Borubeaa
I love Dainabea's design though
Kurusu's line is amazing though
Cleffa looks like a Luma from Mario
I used to draw Igglybuff without her three tuffts because I would always forget them so it's pretty funny for me to see it drawn this way.
I wish Marill came in pastel pink
The Ocean sunfish Manboo 1 is really interesting to me, I would like to see a big one with decent stats though tbh...
Ledian lines up with its Pokedex entry (regarding the stars on its back) in the old art so that makes sense
Norowara: having a wara ningyoo pokémon would have been really interesting giving that they seem to be quite prevalent in Japanese Manga and Animé so I mean *shrug*
I prefer witch hat Murkrow to our current Murkrow but I prefer our current Delibird to Santa hat Delibird

I was surprised to see Quagsire had no preevolution as well.

Blissey: Current Blissey is Queen but i see where they were going with the original design for her.
Chansey evolves so 2 eggs for double the healing, happiness Pokémon so heart on her head and call her Happy... But imho she looks too small compared to Chansey so for an evolved form she looks like a preevolution. When I first showed the beta image without saying anything to my sister she burst out laughing. Let's say some can consider her traits subjective.

They made the right selection with the baby Pokémon tbh, though I'm glad they added Mime Jr later and Bonsly.
So many of the Pokémon and places that have been found in this leak were linked to Sinnoh / Gen 4 so it made me wonder if Happiny being a baby Pokémon hadn't been considered & scrapped/archived before programming at the time as well, giving that Chansey was originally going to evolve at level 45.

Last edited:

Atreyu

My favourites that got the chop:

Anchorage (anchor shark).
Rinring and Bellboyant.
Girafarig (the beta design fits the name so well).
Kurstraw and Pangshi.
Tael (beta Aipom).
Bomseaker (the water/fire seal).
Meowsy (baby Meowth).

Status
Not open for further replies.