1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Spam threads are popping up overnight

Discussion in 'Serebii.net Discussion' started by SWMegaFan, Dec 30, 2018.

1. SWMegaFan

SWMegaFan Well-Known Member

Not sure if this is the correct spot to post about this forum technical issue, but I wanted to state that on several days, when I come to check on the forum in the mornings, I keep seeing spam threads pop up. Curious if there’s something being worked on to prevent this in the future (such as making it harder to create an account for example, as spammers seem to take advantage of the registration system).

Thanks!

2. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

This is a known problem, there's usually someone around morning US time to get rid of them but until then they sit around because fewer people are on overnight, which is when most of them appear. However, I'm unsure if/when something will be done to try and keep them from popping up so easily. Serebii is aware of the issue though.

WishIhadaManafi5 and SWMegaFan like this.
  3. Gamzee Makara

Gamzee Makara Let people enjoy things...

It's a Pokémon-based XenForo-wide issue.

Some entity or organization is targeting forums like this(I suspect GamerGators doing the bidding of YouTube troll king MisterMetokur...months after his coordinated attack on sites bearing pride flags during Pride Month.)

4. pretty sure they're just ads lol

Cometstarlight and Dragalge like this.
  5. byconcept

byconcept Member

The whole front page of Pokemon General discussion is literally spam right now

keepitsimple likes this.
  6. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

Mods aren't online right now, just wait until they're here. It's nowhere near as bad as a couple of months ago when there were a couple that were a lot more eager to spam, I think there were about 100 pages of spam.

7. I've been reporting them when I notice them, just do that

There's a new thread every minute or so; I wouldn't be surprised if they fill up 100 pages tbh :p

8. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nah, maybe he'll reach five pages or so. Mods will come online in a few hours, the bot can't spam faster than this. The forums automatically limit how fast an account can post stuff.

9. Cometstarlight

Cometstarlight What do I do now?

I thought there used to be a rule that you couldn't make a thread unless you had 10 posts under your belt.

10. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Maybe in the old forums, but apparently not in XenForo. Although such a limitation would just move those bots to post their spam in already existing threads instead.

keepitsimple likes this.