• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Sparks Fly For Magnemite! (030)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Sparks Fly For Magnemite!

When Pikachu gets ill, Ash & Co take it to a Pokémon Center to find out there is no power coming from the Power Plant. They go to investigate to find a hundreds of Grimer led by a Muk stopping electricity being generated...and to make matter worse, Pikachu is being stalked!

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Thriller

Its almost time
Nothing to say?

C'mon, Ash gets one of his most loveable Pokemon in this eppie.

I did wonder why Ash just tried to capture Muk, maybe he wanted one. I mean he doesnt just capture any Pokemon unless its one he wants or has become attracted too.

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
It would have been great if Magnemite clamped down and Pikachu's face and started sucking every volt out of him.

Gringy City reminded me of many of the factory town along the great lakes when it was real bad. (I mean a river caught on fire from pollution bad.)

Heracross

Custom User Title
You mean Cleveland? XP You know, this episode was really good. Nice original plot, cool pokémon, really excellent music (don't hear that any more in the dub =P). This period in Kanto produced some of the best episodes of all time, and this one is still one of my favorites. Ash catching Muk was a great solution to the problem, as well as a plain good idea on the writers parts (have Satoshi catch more freaking pokémon in AG darn you ><). I really liked the part when all the Magnemite/ton come down through the air vents and shock all the Grimer and drive then away. It was a pretty cool moment to begin with and it doesn't hurt that the BGM playing at that point is some of the best ever in the show.;)

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
It's episodes like these that are why Kanto is the best season of Pokemon. Not even AG can hold a candle to episodes like this.

Ash (holding his nose): The smell comes through the Poke' Ball.
-and-
Oak: I wonder what Pokemon ASh sent me this type.
(Poke' Ball appears and opens revealing Muk.)
Muk: Mu-Mu-Mu-Muk
Oak: Ew, what the idea of sending me a Muk, yuck.
Muk: Mu-uh-uk

You just don't get scenes like this in Ag or in Johto.

Chris

Old Coot
Suprised no one mentioned the dub goof up:

Misty: Grimer's Granpa?
Ash: It's a Muk! And its only child!

This was abit weird since they made it out to sound like there were two Muk. o_O;

But this episode was rather nicely done. I didn't mind him capturing Muk in the end since it solved a big problem, plus Muk helped in the Pokémon Leagues. I wonder why Muk's stench doesn't really bother anyone anymore until it uses its body to attack? o_o; You never hear anyone complaining about the smell whenever they walk in the lab. Not even when Muk jumps on Kenji and Oak. XD

Lupin

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
Heracross said:
You mean Cleveland? XP You know, this episode was really good. Nice original plot, cool pokémon, really excellent music (don't hear that any more in the dub =P). This period in Kanto produced some of the best episodes of all time, and this one is still one of my favorites. Ash catching Muk was a great solution to the problem, as well as a plain good idea on the writers parts (have Satoshi catch more freaking pokémon in AG darn you ><). I really liked the part when all the Magnemite/ton come down through the air vents and shock all the Grimer and drive then away. It was a pretty cool moment to begin with and it doesn't hurt that the BGM playing at that point is some of the best ever in the show.;)

Now this is the bit I truely agree with. I loved the music in the first season and wished that the dub people released a sound track of them. But they never did.

Jesse GS the II said:
ASH: Magnemite's following Pikachu like some kind of streaker...
BROCK: Ash, you mean a stalker!

Best lines in all of Season 1.
Too true. That was the best thing in the whole episode!
I find it odd how Muk turned all friendly when it was captured, when it wanted to pulverize them before o.o;;. Pikachu's "streaker:D" was an interesting touch to the episode, as was Pikachu's flu. However, this was another one of those subtle capture episodes, IMO. And a little early, too, since Misty just caught Psyduck three episodes ago, and Brock just got Vulpix, too. IMO, they should've given us more adjusting time between captures.

Overall rating:
5.9 out of 10!
Hardly worthy of a capture episode. The comedy was really about the only redeeming aspect of this episode. I liked the Gulpin spin-off much more.

SC~ out

Heracross

Custom User Title
I thought it was great that they cought a lot of pokémon in a short time. You sure as hell don't see that kind of thing in Hoenn.:p It kept things interesting. Not to mention, Satoshi capturing Betabaton wasn't the main focus of the episode, it was just thrown in there to make it interesting, which worked very well in my opinion.

Last edited:

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I wish Muk appeared a wee bit more, maybe it's because he didn't have a whole episode devoted to his capture. So they consider him an inferior Ash capture.

Batdude

Old school
Edward Elric said:
Misty: Grimer's Granpa?
Ash: It's a Muk! And its only child!

This was abit weird since they made it out to sound like there were two Muk. o_O;
Are you talking about after the Magnemite/Magneton help to clear out all the Grimer and Muk is left in the control room someone says something to the effect of, "It's an adult Muk and it's child!"? Yeah, it doesn't make much sense.

Does anyone know what the lines actually were just before Ash captured Muk? I saw this ep about half an hour ago, and it gave me ANOTHER thing to post in the Pokéball thread.

This episode rocked because the capture was so spur-of-the-moment. As has been said already, you don't get that kind of thing nowadays. Now whenever Ash is gonna capture a Pokémon it's in the friggin' episode title and takes up the whole episode. Then again, I guess it's to develop the 'personality'.

M

Monster

This was one of the weirdest episodes during the whole Kanto Saga. It was weird when Magnemite kept stalking Pikachu. Ash catching Muk was a bit of a surprise, but I like Muk so I'm not dissapointed.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Gahh, this is one of my least favorite episodes of season one. Although Ash thinking magnemite was a "streaker" is always a riot, the rest of the episode is depressing and dark and disgusting. At least it would have been a saving grace if Muk had gone after Professor Oak the first time they met, but nope, they saved that for later. Too bad, I like that running gag. :)

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Batdude said:
Are you talking about after the Magnemite/Magneton help to clear out all the Grimer and Muk is left in the control room someone says something to the effect of, "It's an adult Muk and it's child!"? Yeah, it doesn't make much sense.

Does anyone know what the lines actually were just before Ash captured Muk? I saw this ep about half an hour ago, and it gave me ANOTHER thing to post in the Pokéball thread.

I think in Japan they frequently show the same scene twice, like the last event before the commercial break is repeated again after coming back from commercial. I know they did that a few times in the very early days of Pokemon, but I can't remember a scene offhand. I think they just showed the same Muk coming forward at two different angles, and the dubbers mistook it for two different Muks. There was only the one Muk and many grimers.

SuperShadow

I do lke the way that they had Pikachu get dissed from magnemite. This was a really good episode.

Kabuto

little punks!
This episode was fantastic. Ash's capture of Muk was just plain cool and unexpected. The best was how Muk stunk inside its pokeball. And Oak's reaction when he recieved it. Ah, the good old classics.

GoggleHead

Digimon > Pokemon
For some reason I also like this episode also. I don't think I did when I saw it on my local UPN, but now I do. I would also like this one if Ash caught Muk in this one, for some reason I like him too.

Adam_stm

I wonder why Pikachu was so sick to use its electric attacks. If it had too much electricity in it, it should of used it up earlier.