• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Special Battle Team for Season 2 (Double Battle Wifi Battle team)

chap196

Since season 2 is starting tomorrow, I want to create a team for it first. Although I am not good at Double Battle, so I need a lot of suggestion. Also this is for Random Matchup, so you can only choose 4 Pokemon per battle.

Talonflame
Item: ???
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Attack/ 132 Speed/ 124 HP
Moveset:
Tailwind
Brave Bird
Flare Blitz
Protect

This Talonflame is going to support my team with Tailwind. Brave Bird and Flare Blitz are definitely for STAB while Protect can make it survive easier. Now the EVs is hard to choose, if I run 252 EVs on HP, it can survive more hits, but without 252 Speed, it might die to other Talonflame first (I don't know how common Talonflame is in Double Battle). I also don't know what item to use.

Diggersby
Item: Life Orb
Nature: Adamant/ Jolly
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Attack/ 252 Speed or HP/ 4 HP or Speed
Moveset
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Quick Attack/ Return/ Protect
Quick Attack/ Return/ Protect

This Pokemon is going to lead with Talonflame. Earthquake and Rock Slide hits 2 Pokemon and covers a lot of type, while Return STABs and deal high damage, Quick Attack to finish off opponent with Speed Priority Move or Protect for protection. Now I also don't know about EVs, is it Speed enough to outspeed Pokemon after a Tailwind without EVs investment?

Rotom-H
Item: White Herb
Nature: Bold
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Sp.Def/ 4 Special Attack
Moveset
Overheat
Discharge
Will-O-Wisp/ Thunder Wave
Volt Switch/ Protect

Rotom Heat moves cover most of Diggersby Weakness while Will-O-Wisp breaks Sturdy or Focus Sash or Thunder Wave to make Diggersby be able to outspeed Pokemon after Tailwind wears out. Discharge doesn't effect Diggersby and can cover Water Type while Overheat covers Ice and Grass Type which is good. Volt Switch to switch Rotom Heat out. Although I am not sure which one works better, Rotom Wash or Rotom Heat.

Gyrados
Item: Gyradosite/ Leftover
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
Moveset
Waterfall
Earthquake
Ice Fang/ Protect
Dragon Dance

I would probably use Gyrados to switch in to a predicted Surf. Now the problem is that should I Mega Evolve it or not? Adding Dark type makes it weak to Fighting and also it loses immunity to Ground, but it gets a immunity to Psychic and also gets only 2x weak to Electric instead of 4x weak.

Considering:

Garchomp
Item: Leftover
Ability: Rough Skin
Item: Leftover/ Rocky Helmet/ Garchompnite
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Attack/ 4 Speed
Moveset:
Dual Chop
Rock Slide
Earthquake
Protect

I actually would prefer a bit more defensive Garchomp as it cannot use Life Orb thanks to Diggersby. Dual Chop breaks Substitute and Earthquake hits all Pokemon plus it STABs. Rock Slide covers a lot of type and hits both opponent. Protect for extra Leftover recovery or to scout my opponent next attack.

Gengar
Item: Black Sludge
Nature: Timid
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Special Attack/ 252 Speed/ 4 HP
Moveset
Shadow Ball
Sludge Bomb
Dazzling Gleam
Thunderbolt/ Energy Ball

Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb are obviously for STAB while Dazzling Gleam covers a lot of type. Thunderbolt and Energy Ball hits Water Type hard.

Now I still need more suggestion on the team. Also I am not good with Double Battle (since I always play Single Battle) and I don't know how well this team will work out as I never test it before.

All help are appreciated

Last edited:

coolerdynastic

Let see, Talonflame will be good with Life Orb although Choice Band is more overpowering. Adding 252speed is quite a bad idea since it has priority Gale Wings.Besides you have others to counter other Talonflame. 1 for 1. Your Diggersby will send the other Talonflame off with a Rock Slide should the Talonflame aims at your Talonflame.

Why Surf for Gyarados considering its Sp Atk is awful?It is whole lot better if you use Waterfall.
Since you like the Earthquake + flying/levitate combos. Here is another good example.

Garchomp
Item: Life Orb/Garchompite
EVs: 4HP, 252 attack and 252 speed
Nature: Jolly
Moveset
Earthquake
Poison Jab (For fairy counters)
Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
Rock Slide/Crunch

By the way i notice your team is a little weak to water so it is better to find another good countermeasures for waters.

Perhaps you would want to consider Grass type pokemon?I find it a little difficult to find a good Grass Type. But I have another alternative

Gengar@Black Sludge
Nature : Timid
EV: 4HP,252 SP Atk, 252 Speed
Moveset
Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb/ThunderBolt
Thunderbolt/Sludge Bomb/Energy Ball
Dazzling Gleam
Shadow Ball

This dude will allow you to avoid Earthquake hits and his moveset can cover all water pokes as well as his weakness. This Gengar is situational but if you decide on an Air balloon Electric type it should be good to go but not feasible.

chap196

Let see, Talonflame will be good with Life Orb although Choice Band is more overpowering. Adding 252speed is quite a bad idea since it has priority Gale Wings.Besides you have others to counter other Talonflame. 1 for 1. Your Diggersby will send the other Talonflame off with a Rock Slide should the Talonflame aims at your Talonflame.

Why Surf for Gyarados considering its Sp Atk is awful?It is whole lot better if you use Waterfall.
Since you like the Earthquake + flying/levitate combos. Here is another good example.

Garchomp
Item: Life Orb/Garchompite
EVs: 4HP, 252 attack and 252 speed
Nature: Jolly
Moveset
Earthquake
Poison Jab (For fairy counters)
Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
Rock Slide/Crunch

By the way i notice your team is a little weak to water so it is better to find another good countermeasures for waters.

Perhaps you would want to consider Grass type pokemon?I find it a little difficult to find a good Grass Type. But I have another alternative

Gengar@Black Sludge
Nature : Timid
EV: 4HP,252 SP Atk, 252 Speed
Moveset
Energy Ball/Sludge Bomb/ThunderBolt
Thunderbolt/Sludge Bomb/Energy Ball
Dazzling Gleam
Shadow Ball

This dude will allow you to avoid Earthquake hits and his moveset can cover all water pokes as well as his weakness. This Gengar is situational but if you decide on an Air balloon Electric type it should be good to go but not feasible.

Ok I will use 252 HP instead of 252 Speed, I can't use Choice because of Tailwind and I can't use Life Orb because Diggersby already holds it. And I didn't use Surf on Gyarados, I just said I will switch it in if I predict that my opponent will use move like Surf. Guess I didn't said it clear enough.

Garchomp and Gengar should work, although I wouldn't use Poison Jab on Garchomp as the different between a STAB Earthquake and a Super Effective Poison Jab is not that high (only 10 base power different). Also I might use Wall Garchomp instead. Still I will try both of these Pokemon.

Thanks for the suggestion

Last edited:

coolerdynastic

Ok I will use 252 HP instead of 252 Speed, I can't use Choice because of Tailwind and I can't use Life Orb because Diggersby already holds it. And I didn't use Surf on Gyarados, I just said I will switch it in if I predict that my opponent will use move like Surf. Guess I didn't said it clear enough.

Garchomp and Gengar should work, although I wouldn't use Poison Jab on Garchomp as the different between a STAB Earthquake and a Super Effective Poison Jab is not that high (only 10 base power different). Also I might use Wall Garchomp instead. Still I will try both of these Pokemon.

Thanks for the suggestion
Was there a rule in competitive that you are not allow to use 2 of the same item?
Well you shouldnt forget about Togekiss who can completely wall of Garchomp's Ground and Dragon Attacks.

Well I didnt say you should put all 252 Evs in HP, invest some in speed in any case you wanted to use Flare Blitz or other skills aside flying

chap196

Was there a rule in competitive that you are not allow to use 2 of the same item?
Well you shouldnt forget about Togekiss who can completely wall of Garchomp's Ground and Dragon Attacks.

Well I didnt say you should put all 252 Evs in HP, invest some in speed in any case you wanted to use Flare Blitz or other skills aside flying

Togekiss is not in the Kalos Pokedex (this Special Battle is the same as VGC rules where you can only use Pokemon from Kalos Dex), so I don't need to worry about it. Guess I should use my old Talonflame with 252 Attack/ 132 Speed/ 124 HP then. Thanks for the suggestion again.