• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Speculation on Misty/Brock's role in SM

Leonhart

Imagineer
yab said:
Don't forget the SM cast isn't just Ash and the 5 classmates, it's also Team Rocket, Gladion, Prof. Kukui, Lusamine, Faba, soon Hau, and all the other recurring characters this gen. This saga has the largest cast of characters we've had in a long time.

Well that too. I just hope that Takeshi and Kasumi's return lasts two or three episodes at most and that it'll involve another field trip to Kanto.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Well that too. I just hope that Takeshi and Kasumi's return lasts two or three episodes at most and that it'll involve another field trip to Kanto.

I don’t think they’re going on another field trip to Kanto, since the last time they were there they promised they would come visit Ash in Alola, so I’m assuming they hold up to that promise.

I’m one of the people who wouldn’t mind if they stuck around for a while. Sure, the writers are struggling with handling the characters they already have, but I’ve always preferred the OS trio’s dynamic over any other group dynamic so just seeing them interact makes me happy and keeps me entertained..

As for their popularity, since I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread, I don’t think it’s fair to discredit their popularity. They were the original companions and apart of what made the show a success in the first place. Dawn and Serena are incredibly popular also, since Serena was the most recent Pokegirl to leave and Dawn is one of the characters with the best development but doesn’t mean the original companions aren’t just as popular. I mean they could be the worst companions ever, but they will always be the first ones and people will always be fond of them for that fact alone.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Had some thoughts on this but was somewhat busy to finish the post...

Anyway I’m not expecting much from the two other then to help create the Alola League. With that said, I hope they interact with the classmates better. Stuff like:

- Kiawe training with Brock to prepare for the league. Perhaps teach Kiawe a strategy or two with his Pokemon.
- Brock teaching Mallow some Kantonian recipes to help expand her restaurant with more diverse dishes from different regions (bonus if her brother appeared as they’re somewhat similar when it comes to finding a woman they like :p)
- Lana showing Misty a Dewpider/Wimpod. Seriously it this doesn’t happen, we’ll never know how Misty will react to a water/bug Pokemon.

Really, just let the final idea come true then I’ll be content

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
Lol they are not going to stay that long besides this is the series for SM cast to develop and have screentime not two washed up wannabies who have been booted out of show long time ago.

Wash up wannabes wow, You realize that one of those "washed up characters" is the third longest running character on the show outside of Ash and TR right??

The SM cast has had close to a 100 episodes to "develop" and the vast majority of them have done very little in the long run.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Wash up wannabes wow, You realize that one of those "washed up characters" is the third longest running character on the show outside of Ash and TR right??

The SM cast has had close to a 100 episodes to "develop" and the vast majority of them have done very little in the long run.

That's why this is the time for SM cast to develop now since they will be gone after 50 episodes and that's what some people here are bothered about. As for brock he was replaced some 8-9 years ago so that's pretty long time now, besides even now most of the people complained about him doing nothing in his last two series runs.

Aquafinna

Pretty sure they're just here for LGPE promotion, and not based on popularity, since if popularity were really the case, either Dawn or Serena would've been here instead since they are more popular. And I doubt they'll be here for more than 3-4 episodes tbh.
To be honest they DIDN’T have to appear in the new season. They could of just introduced the protagonist of LGPE like in DP and called it a day. Popularity definitely has something to do with this. People have been waiting an entire decade to see Misty and now luckily we’re getting a double appearance

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
That's why this is the time for SM cast to develop now since they will be gone after 50 episodes and that's what some people here are bothered about. As for brock he was replaced some 8-9 years ago so that's pretty long time now, besides even now most of the people complained about him doing nothing in his last two series runs.

I'm sorry, you think when they didn't do a lot in a 100 episodes, somehow they're gonna start developing them now??

None of that has anything to do with your statement, you said washed up. Also Brock actually won a poll as the character people want back the most so idk where you're getting your info from.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
To be honest they DIDN’T have to appear to in the new games. They could of just introduced the protagonist of LGPE like in DP and called it a day. Popularity definitely has something to do with this. People have been waiting decades to see Misty and now luckily we’re getting a double appearance

That's true, except they fulfilled that part when the group went to Kanto. By right, their upcoming double appearance is not necessary at all, but with LGPE, it's a convenient situation for them to come back again.

Aquafinna

That's true, except they fulfilled that part when the group went to Kanto. By right, their upcoming double appearance is not necessary at all, but with LGPE, it's a convenient situation for them to come back again.
True, although I question what’s the point of them even returning for that reason solely. They already discussed Kanto and how the region works to the Alola gang about 40 episodes ago. What are they promoting exactly? I think that’s why I feel popularity is a huge reason they’re back.... vs introducing game MC’s nobody cares about.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I'm sorry, you think when they didn't do a lot in a 100 episodes, somehow they're gonna start developing them now??

None of that has anything to do with your statement, you said washed up. Also Brock actually won a poll as the character people want back the most so idk where you're getting your info from.

No, but overshadowing them in there own region is not right, besides kiawe and lillie have done a lot much better than brock did Post OS and misty did in entire OS. So its not like they are entirely wasted.

When I said washed up it was more directed towards misty also i meant his treatment in post OS series and then it was released. As for poll i wasn't surprised brock won since he was there for 4 series and still would love for him to return but if i am not wrong the age group of people who polled wer mid 20's that means those people grew up with OS that was probably the reason why misty outvoted may and dawn, otherwise any day if i am not wrong in japan dawn and may are generally ahead of misty in all poekgirl rankings.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
No, but overshadowing them in there own region is not right, besides kiawe and lillie have done a lot much better than brock did Post OS and misty did in entire OS. So its not like they are entirely wasted.

When I said washed up it was more directed towards misty also i meant his treatment in post OS series and then it was released. As for poll i wasn't surprised brock won since he was there for 4 series and still would love for him to return but if i am not wrong the age group of people who polled wer mid 20's that means those people grew up with OS that was probably the reason why misty outvoted may and dawn, otherwise any day if i am not wrong in japan dawn and may are generally ahead of misty in all poekgirl rankings.

And there you prove your bias. Lillie has not done better then Misty did in anyway shape or form. Girl has had one battle and no captures. Yes Lillie is well developed in a sun and moon sense but don't get it twisted, she had a long way to go to catch up with Misty. Same with Kiawe, his entire development this region is one new move for Turtonator and a new capture/z move for Marowak, that's it. Again, good in the Sun and Moon sense but no where near a fully developed character.

Again, I don't even care about their popularity rankings, I'm speaking about just plain bias on your part.

As far as I'm concerned, the only washed up pokemon characters in the anime are TR and to a lessor extent Tracy since they both contribute very little and have almost no development.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Aquafinna said:
To be honest they DIDN’T have to appear in the new season. They could of just introduced the protagonist of LGPE like in DP and called it a day.

They could've, although from what I've seen on several forums there's been a lot of backlash toward the new protagonists, so their popularity or lack thereof might've been a contributing factor in why we're getting Takeshi and Kasumi instead.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
And there you prove your bias. Lillie has not done better then Misty did in anyway shape or form. Girl has had one battle and no captures. Yes Lillie is well developed in a sun and moon sense but don't get it twisted, she had a long way to go to catch up with Misty. Same with Kiawe, his entire development this region is one new move for Turtonator and a new capture/z move for Marowak, that's it. Again, good in the Sun and Moon sense but no where near a fully developed character.

Again, I don't even care about their popularity rankings, I'm speaking about just plain bias on your part.

As far as I'm concerned, the only washed up pokemon characters in the anime are TR and to a lessor extent Tracy since they both contribute very little and have almost no development.

Lillie was a character who grew up with the fear of even touching pokemon and then her whole story during aether arc was better than anything misty did during whole OS. Quite frankly except for whirl cup ac of 4-5 episodes she was abackground character during the whole johto series, she did hardly anything in TR lugia arc. Her goal of being water pokemon trainer was poorly handled, none of her pokemon get any major character development and were considered gag members. Even iris was better handled than her. Heck her becoming a gym leader was totally undeserving, she was handled gym because her sisters just decided to go on vacation. And since when did the number of captures and battles become everything when it comes to judging a character. As for brock his goal was to become a top breeder where he didn't do much to become a tp breeder, in fact it became so repetitive that the writers had to change his goal to write him off main cast.

I like brock in fact he is one of my favourite character of all time, and my disliking of misty is also not new, mainly because of the genwunners who consider her the goddess and best thing to come out of series and considered her irreplacable.

You are the one that brought up the rankings part first so i just stated the fact about the rankings otherwise i wouldn't have brought it iup.

Brock up to the point of DP was becoming a washed up as he didn't have much development either, besides even ash is somewhat becoming washed up as he is becoming repititive as well.

Slapstick-Olivia

I think it will just be a small guest appearance for one or two episodes. I don't think they will become recurring regulars. It would be cool, but I doubt it. I kinda want to see Brock interacting with Olivia and who knows... maybe they will end up as a couple. Think about it:

- they both rock type trainers.
- they both gym leaders (sorta).
- they both single and try to find a partner for years.
- they both about the same age (sorta, Olivia seems to be a bit older. It sometimes really hard to tell in animes and also on black people how old they really are.).
- and also, that is just my own theory, Olivia did actually caught the wedding bouquet in that one episode, maybe this can be a bit of a for shadowing, that she will soon find her true love in Brock?

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Brock and Kiawe should become best bros, they're like alternate versions of the same character pretty much.

How are they similar? Brock is a creepy stalker who ditched the responsibility to take care of his family the moment he had the chance when his totally-unqualified-for-the-job father returned for a moment, and he happens to also have an affinity for taking care of pokémon and being the guy who gives all the exposition. Kiawe on the other hand helps out his family and their farm even with his parents around, he's all about responsibility and always giving your absolute best 100% effort no matter what the challenge is. Kiawe is about honour, his honour to follow in his grandfather's footsteps because he admires him and honouring the island challenge and Z-Moves, his honour to Wela Volcano for providing his family farm with fertile soul.

Leonhart

Imagineer
yab said:
Brock and Kiawe should become best bros, they're like alternate versions of the same character pretty much.

I prefer Takeshi over Kaki, but I do wonder if Takeshi and Kasumi will form a closer bond with Satoshi's Alolan friends or if they'll spend more time on-screen shoehorning LG: P/E, instead.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I'm hoping for more Brock and Lillie interactions. They seem to have alot in common and both had owned a Vulpix at one point as well.
I'd also like to see Lana and Misty as well as Lillie and Misty

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
I'm hoping for more Brock and Lillie interactions. They seem to have alot in common and both had owned a Vulpix at one point as well.
I'd also like to see Lana and Misty as well as Lillie and Misty
Yep same here, brock and lillie have many things common he could guide her in breeding stuff for how to take care of her pokemon, and brock kiawe interactions as well just like in kanto, misty- lana interactions were fine but not sold on misty-lillie not sure they have any common ground. Brock is the better bet to be her guide.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Yep same here, brock and lillie have many things common he could guide her in breeding stuff for how to take care of her pokemon, and brock kiawe interactions as well just like in kanto, misty- lana interactions were fine but not sold on misty-lillie not sure they have any common ground. Brock is the better bet to be her guide.
Sometimes not having much in common could be good for interactions as well, like with Dawn and Iris. Imo they had the best chemistry between any of the female leads.

ash&charizardfan

Humans are tools
Sometimes not having much in common could be good for interactions as well, like with Dawn and Iris. Imo they had the best chemistry between any of the female leads.

Dont know could be but last time she didn't talked to her at all and it was brock so i just think it will be same this time as well, besides with such a big cast i dont think they can cover all of them. I thought may and dawn had best interactions among all the leads. Iris and dawn was good but this is expected from her since she is basically female version of ash. Her personality is such that she can have good interaction with anyone.