• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Speculation on Misty/Brock's role in SM

Leonhart

Imagineer
Suiren and Kasumi have fishing in common, and I'd love to see them gush about their love of Water-types. Speaking of which, I hope Kasumi will have Tattu with her for the first time in ages as it was my favorite Pokemon of hers in Kanto even though it only appeared half a dozen times.

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
Maybe they will want to try taking on a trial like how the classmates got to take on a gym battle in kanto. They could get z-rings, crystals, and maybe catch a new pokemon each.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Maybe we’ll get to see Ash battle Brock this time since he battled Misty last time. I’m up for seeing Brock vs Kiawe again and Ash vs Misty again, but I really want to see a couple of the other classmates battle Brock or Misty one on one.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Misty already technically battled Mallow/Lana too last time, even if it wasn't much of a battle with just Psyduck using its powers again. Although Mallow now has Tsareena, so her pokemon is much stronger than previously.

It's too bad the SM girls aren't really battlers, so you can't get excited to see an old female companion battle a new one, like May Vs. Dawn or Dawn Vs. Iris. in previous series. In fact Misty's never battled any new female companion bar that Psyduck fight since she and May also never battled in AG.

I completely agree because I really enjoyed seeing Dawn battle May and Iris. Maybe Kiawe can battle Misty and Ash can battle Brock?

I just want to see more battles from them in general, preferably with their other Pokemon not just their gen one Pokémon. I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up for them to participate in the Alola league but if a miracle happens and they do become a part of it, I’m reeeaally going to look forward to it.

DatsRight

And there you prove your bias. Lillie has not done better then Misty did in anyway shape or form. Girl has had one battle and no captures. Yes Lillie is well developed in a sun and moon sense but don't get it twisted, she had a long way to go to catch up with Misty. Same with Kiawe, his entire development this region is one new move for Turtonator and a new capture/z move for Marowak, that's it. Again, good in the Sun and Moon sense but no where near a fully developed character.

Again, I don't even care about their popularity rankings, I'm speaking about just plain bias on your part.

As far as I'm concerned, the only washed up pokemon characters in the anime are TR and to a lessor extent Tracy since they both contribute very little and have almost no development.

I think it's a case of comparing progression to character agency. Many say Kiawe has already contributed more than Brock did in three series, and while Misty caught and evolved a full team, it didn't stop her being demoted for a lot of Johto and a lot of her team barely being utilised besides as occasional comic relief, while Lillie has, if anything, slowly upped her game as the smart guy of the team.

Yeah Turtonator, Marowak and Snowy aren't heavily boosted, but many fans like their characterisations and moments of involvement compared to fully evolved Pokemon like Starmie that barely got any effective involvement besides beating up effortless opponents like Team Rocket. Snowy has at least done more than Brock's Vulpix, and while not getting boosts regularly, Kiawe has been shown doing so via training and bonding with Turtonator and Marowak and changing up their battle strategies, substance over DEM evolutions and move learns, which are more the characters getting things over doing anything for them.

A character can get dynamic boosts and development and still fail as character if the writers don't know how to use them properly. Many like some of the SM cast because, in spite of mostly being stagnant, they are often used in a unique way (besides some like Mallow, who ironically has a fully evolved Pokemon). The writers almost make a game of all the eccentric ways they can use certain Pokemon's abilities. If anything it would be interesting to see Misty and Brock in episodes that don't rely on the old formula and actually force them to have more versatile bits of limelight, something only really the earliest points of OS and the specials dabbled in.

Last edited:
More Gen 1 pandering. That's all this series and its games does anyway. Can't create good quality characters or arcs so it has to bring good ones over. Sad really.

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
More Gen 1 pandering. That's all this series and its games does anyway. Can't create good quality characters or arcs so it has to bring good ones over. Sad really.
What? Misty and Brock were brought back the first time because it was the 20th anniversary and what better way to celebrate then bring back two of some of the most iconic characters in the series (and also inspiring Kukui to make the Alola League)? Whatever purpose they have this time will certainly be better than Charizard being brought back in BW.

And fyi every game has "pandered" Kanto in some way. Even Gen V had Pokemon which were homages to Gen I Pokemon like Gigalith.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
What? Misty and Brock were brought back the first time because it was the 20th anniversary and what better way to celebrate then bring back two of some of the most iconic characters in the series (and also inspiring Kukui to make the Alola League)? Whatever purpose they have this time will certainly be better than Charizard being brought back in BW.

And fyi every game has "pandered" Kanto in some way. Even Gen V had Pokemon which were homages to Gen I Pokemon like Gigalith.
heck, wasn't like half of the gen 5 dex homages? (mostly to gen 1, though there were some for 2, 3, and 4)

The cast is already ginormous with underdeveloped characters running rampant. It doesn’t need more characters

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
I know I shouldn’t get my hopes up for them to participate in the Alola league but if a miracle happens and they do become a part of it, I’m reeeaally going to look forward to it.

I doubt they'll stick around for that however, much less compete since neither Takeshi or Kasumi have the motivation.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
It's probably just another 2 eps. Since the Let's Go games come out in November, that's probably when the Misty/Brock eps will air.

Hau will probably be introduced before that in October's episodes.

I’m hoping for at least four. I doubt they’ll get as many as Dawn but since their purpose is for promotion this time, I don’t think two is quite enough. I'm also still clinging onto hope for good battles that actually last long and show more development than their last battles. Not that I hated their last battles, I just felt like they could have been better and shown off more Pokémon.

PorcelainVulpix

currently watching LOK
Remember the official 2019 Pokemon calendar was revealed a few weeks ago, it already spoiled Poipole leaving, and Misty/Brock aren't on it:

b2d.jpg

Granted this doesn't show the new Eevee or Hau either, but if Misty/Brock were sticking around they'd certainly be all over the merch for next year. So it may be as short as their first SM cameo, or 4 eps at the most. Who knows.

Awe I don’t see Hau on it either. I guess none of them are sticking around for long. But honestly four episodes would still be perfect imo.

p96822

Evolve me please
The only thing I'm hoping that the writers give Brock and Misty more room to interact with the others character and let some of their personalities bounce off each other. For the freedom of what Misty and Brock could do well lead into more moment that was stronger then their first appearance

Leonhart

Imagineer
PorcelainVulpix said:
Awe I don’t see Hau on it either. I guess none of them are sticking around for long. But honestly four episodes would still be perfect imo.

Well Hau's going to be a rival most likely, so his absence on the calendar isn't strange. But speaking of which, I hope Takeshi meets Hau and makes him some malasadas. It's too good of a scene to pass up.

Champion Jared 14

Between the two of them, the one who deserves more development is Misty. She stands as the only pokegirl in the show’s tenure that was forcefully ejected from the show. Her agency as a character was compromised when the gym leader obligations were just casually tossed in her lap. Most likely, they’ll split screen time but she needs more focus imo.

Epicocity

Between the two of them, the one who deserves more development is Misty. She stands as the only pokegirl in the show’s tenure that was forcefully ejected from the show. Her agency as a character was compromised when the gym leader obligations were just casually tossed in her lap. Most likely, they’ll split screen time but she needs more focus imo.
Nah, Dawn was pretty ejected, too, considering she was going to go to Kanto with Ash and Brock but suddenly got a call from Paris and it sent her in a completely different direction within a single episode.

In any case, I don't see them being around for long, and it's definitely for LGPE promotion. The show isn't even being subtle about it now.

Champion Jared 14

Nah, Dawn was pretty ejected, too, considering she was going to go to Kanto with Ash and Brock but suddenly got a call from Paris and it sent her in a completely different direction within a single episode.

In any case, I don't see them being around for long, and it's definitely for LGPE promotion. The show isn't even being subtle about it now.

Wasn’t it like some kind of poke promotion thing with Buneary? Either way, it’s something she ultimately chose to do. She didn’t have to. Misty had no choice but to step in and take over the gym because it was threatened with closure. Also, consider that she probably had to clean up the gym’s reputation as a “pushover” gym since her sisters were giving badges out like candy. Dawn was molded to be a great coordinator because she had a supportive mom who also happened to be a contest champion. Misty never had anything like that.