1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

(Speculation) What ability did Greninja have as a Froakie/Frogadier?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Nightlingbolt, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Nightlingbolt

Nightlingbolt AKA Nightlingbolt

Since we know Gen 8 is coming next year, I've been thinking about how they'll make Ash-Greninja available in the new games, if it doesn't outright get programmed out like Cosplay Pikachu or Spiky-Eared Pichu. To me, that means either programming a unique ability for Froakie and Frogadier to replace Torrent, or coming up with some way to turn Torrent into Battle Bond, which makes me wonder what ability Ash's Greninja had in its past two stages. I can only see three possibilities:

-Technician, based on its use of frubbles to aid its attacks.

-Own Tempo, since it was apparently considered strange among other Froakie and refused multiple Trainers before Ash.

-Or it somehow unlocked Battle Bond after learning about the hero Greninja of the Ninja Village, which wouldn't make much sense in a gameplay sense since A: it learned the story as a Frogadier, and B: Sanpei's Greninja likely knew the story ever since it was a Froakie.

So, any ideas?

2. Darthlord7

Darthlord7 The Unbeatable Magician

It was implied that it always had Battle Bond as an ability since it was a Froakie. In other words, it was a special Froakie from the very beginning of the series. Because of that, it rejected every trainer it ended up with because it felt that no one could draw out its latent ability till Ash appeared and was the very first trainer it trusted which was the reason that they activated the Ash-Greninja form the moment it evolved.

Genaller likes this.
  3. Ignition

Ignition Dawn & Serenaare the only good PokéGirls.

It had Torrent or a incomplete form of BB like regular Froakie given out by Sycamore as a Froakie and Frogadier but once it got to his final evolutionary stage, Battle Bond was "awakened" after being pushed to his limits and its bond with Ash.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  4. Darthlord7

Darthlord7 The Unbeatable Magician

Oh did Sycamore state that? I didn't recall that so oh well I stand corrected then.

5. Ignition

Ignition Dawn & Serenaare the only good PokéGirls.

Oh, no, that's my interpretation/theory. Sorry if I mislead you.

Darthlord7 likes this.
  6. Genaller

Genaller PeaLyZard GreScepIn

Well no you were correct the first time. Battle Bond was always Froakie’s ability; it was just latent (a.k.a dormant) till his bond with Ash drew it out a.k.a their bond “awakened” it.

Darthlord7 likes this.
  7. Nightlingbolt

Nightlingbolt AKA Nightlingbolt

So basically, Froakie/Frogadier had no ability at all until it evolved into Greninja?!

8. AshxSatoshi

AshxSatoshi Ice Aurelia

No. The anime never explained if it’s an ability or not. People got the Battle Bond thing AFTER the Sun and Moon demos were released. “Battle Bond” has never been stated or said in the anime.

9. AznKei

AznKei Like the Pump It Up "Cross Time" artwork.

I doubt it's an ability but I do miss when Froakie/Frogadier was throwing frubbles in order to blind/incapacitate their foes and used them like a rope to attach allies into safety.

10. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Squirtle was Ash's 1st choice

+1 for Unawakened/Dormant Battle Bond

Genaller likes this.
  11. OshyHikari

OshyHikari c l a r i t y

I'm probably guessing it may have had Torrent much like every other Water-type starter prior to becoming Greninja.

12. Redstar45

Redstar45 A champion of kind heart !

It is probably does has that ability .......