• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Speed Boost Combusken

Roughneck JB

I'm sure many of us are disappointed at Blaziken's Smogon ban. However I wonder if, despite being substantially weaker, Combusken has any competitive viability with Speed Boost.

This is all still theory, but I imagine him having a set like this:

Combusken@Eviolite/Focus Sash
Adamant
Speed Boost
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 6 HP
- Swords Dance
- Sky Uppercut
- Shadow Claw/Flare Blitz
- Protect

Either item helps Combusken survive long enough to boost his stats. Sky Uppercut is the most reliable STAB he has.
Shadow Claw provides near perfect coverage with Sky Uppercut, and Flare Blitz is by far his strongest move. Though I wouldn't use it because of his low HP.
And of course, Protect for free Speed Boosting and scouting.

I'm not suggesting that this can break the game like his big brother did, but I'm sure he can still be useful with his new ability.
What're everyone's thoughts on this?

Evolite gives him 60/99/99 defenses with those EVs so hes still going to drop to most hard hits and 85 base attack isn't going to sweep much. Hes still a better Pokemon than Ninjask though..

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Running Combusken defensively seems to be effective.

Combusken@Eviolite
Adamant / Careful
Speed Boost
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Bulk Up
Sky Uppercut
Flare Blitz / Shadow Claw
Shadow Claw / Protect

1st thing's first, it isn't Blaziken where it has paper thin defences compared to the rest of the tier. Protect helps you grab Speed Boosts but Shadow Claw is generally better as it can be used for coverage. Just my 2 cents.

^

That has base stats of 60 HP / 85 Attack / 99 Defense / 115 Special Defense. After a Bulk up you will gain about enough defense to survive a Garchomp Earthquake, but you're still hitting like a twig. Capitalize on its defenses and just run SD + Protect like Blaziken and try to Baton Pass something more dangerous in.

algae5

Also, you can just use sharpedo if you want a speed booster now.

Hes still a better Pokemon than Ninjask though..

Lol, ain't that the truth.

I can see this little guy working pretty well in the lower tiers. Sharpedo sort of outclasses him as a Swords Dance sweeper, but a Baton Pass role would be very nice when it becomes legal. Combusken has good enough STAB moves to hurt stuff when it gets the chance, and it has a little bulk with an Evolite. This is more than Ninjask can say, and he was OU in 4th Gen.

Gamefreak

Lol, ain't that the truth.

I can see this little guy working pretty well in the lower tiers. Sharpedo sort of outclasses him as a Swords Dance sweeper, but a Baton Pass role would be very nice when it becomes legal. Combusken has good enough STAB moves to hurt stuff when it gets the chance, and it has a little bulk with an Evolite. This is more than Ninjask can say, and he was OU in 4th Gen.

Sharpedo does not get Swords Dance.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Try 252HP 252 Atk. After one boost, it still will be pretty fast and can actually take a hit.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
I highly disagree on the ninjask hate. give it protect and a focus sash and it can get you plenty of boosts. with base 90 attack it can do some serious damage if necessary.

stenli

Flabebes
I tried Combusken lately and it didnt work at all. A note for you guys, all released DW starters are male, so they cant have Egg Moves at least for now.
Comb is quiet bulky with Eviolite, but she lacks good move to use. The only physical Fire move it gets is Flare Blitz which will likely kill Comb after recoil.

If only it gets Blaze Kick...

acetrainerdov

ToTW Br0's
speed boost combusken with protect is insane

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Why the hell would you use Focus Sash on this?

The ONLY REASON you should be using Combusken over Blaziken is for Eviolite, which is a piss-poor argument for a frailish sweeper Pokemon with no recovery.

Zachmac

Why the hell would you use Focus Sash on this?

The ONLY REASON you should be using Combusken over Blaziken is for Eviolite, which is a piss-poor argument for a frailish sweeper Pokemon with no recovery.
But in smogon, blaziken was banned to Ubers. As posted above, eviolite combusken sucks.

An adamant swords dance set reaches 590 attack and 313 speed with a single turn. It sounds like it'd be hard to get up, but Combusken has Fire Stab, so it would be incredibly easy to come in on Ferrothorn, Fortress, Scissor, ect. and get a swords dance up.

Flare blitz hits everything at least neutrally except Rock, Water, Dragon, and Fire. Sky uppercut handles Rocks, along with most Fire/Water types. After that, try shadow claw for Chandalure and Jellicent, along with some more neutral coverage. Rock slide hits Dragon/Flying though, along with Gyrados.
I would suggest...
Adamant/252att/252speed
Speed Boost/Focus Sash
-Swords Dance
-Flare Blitz
-Sky Uppercut
-Rock Slide/Shadow Claw
Personally, I'd choose Rock Slide. Night Slash could be used over shadow claw, but that isn't legal yet.

Karpi

Forever a pirate
Actually, if you let Ninjask get in 2 Swords Dances, it can OHKO Dialga with Dig, so it's not COMPLETELY terrible.

DragonSkull94

The Heartless Hero
Why use Combuskin when we have Infernape? No Speed Boost, true, but Ape still has more power and two STAB priority moves

DarkLink3

Banned
I've used Speed Boost Combusken alot. and It sucks ***. =/ It's not a wise choice to put in any team. Unless it's a lower Tier team.

I wouldn't use it. It might work on lower tiers but even a Ferrothorn KO's this thing with Absorb. And Eviolite is even more terrible since it's attack power is far too low. Just use sharpedo or play UU/RU/NU.