• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Speed Boost Combusken

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!
I would never EVER use combusken, except in maybye RU, otherwise infernape is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better. Why even consider using combusken in OU with that poor 85 base atk?

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
I would use it in OU.

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!

Dark Sharpedo

s tier of dopeness
It would probably dominate in the NFE OU tier, but not in normal OU. It's attack is no where near Blazikien's also, with Infernape also in that tier, what is the point?

Ninjask can sweep with just two SD, Max attack, Adamant, Max happiness return. Believe me, I've done it. Multiple times.

It's a shame that Blaizken was banned, but that's just on Smogon. I don't use Smogon. It doesn't affect me.

I would use Combusken in the lower tiers. I have never tried Sharpedo. I probably should...

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I think it would actually be very effective on an OU team once you got rid of the Stealth Rocks. On the first turn, it would use Swords Dance, and Focus Sash would prevent its demise. On the second turn, it uses Protect for a second speed boost. Now it has an insane amount of power and the speed to use it. So, just start sweeping after that.

Dark Sharpedo said:
with Infernape also in that tier, what is the point?

After this strategy, Combusken is more powerful and faster than Infernape.

NeohopeSTF

Sol Badguy
I think it would actually be very effective on an OU team once you got rid of the Stealth Rocks. On the first turn, it would use Swords Dance, and Focus Sash would prevent its demise. On the second turn, it uses Protect for a second speed boost. Now it has an insane amount of power and the speed to use it. So, just start sweeping after that.

Yep thats the set to go with it nearly sweeps whole teams.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter

hmmm this actually sounds usable but I can't help the thought that using Combusken in OU because Blaziken was banned is like using Gabite in OU as well because Garchomp was banned -_____-

This is a horrific idea. Would you use Shelgon as a replacement DD'er if Salamence was banned? Would you use Eviolite Drilbur if Excadrill went? I highly, highly doubt it. So why suggest you use something which requires so much support just to create conditions in which it may sweep?

Suggesting Focus Sash is stupid, don't do it. There are these magical things referred to as "Priority moves", which, strangely, Rapid Spin doesn't seem to help against.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
This is a horrific idea. Would you use Shelgon as a replacement DD'er if Salamence was banned? Would you use Eviolite Drilbur if Excadrill went? I highly, highly doubt it. So why suggest you use something which requires so much support just to create conditions in which it may sweep?

Suggesting Focus Sash is stupid, don't do it. There are these magical things referred to as "Priority moves", which, strangely, Rapid Spin doesn't seem to help against.

exactly my point. Although,Shelgon sounds interesting (he actually has more defense than Salamence)

exactly my point. Although,Shelgon sounds interesting (he actually has more defense than Salamence)

Please, don't even try to go there. He may have +20 Base Defense on Salamence, but Salamence has Intimidate, double the Speed, an extra 40 attack, as well as far more respectable HP and Sp.Atk stats. In short, Shelgon outclasses Salamence in one, unimportant area, as Salamence has the required bulk regardless.
To put it incredibly bluntly - Shelgon can not even hope to outrun positive nature base 100's with one DD. It'll die before it gets it's second DD.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
Hey now,don't hate! I was talking along the lines of it being used in UU

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!

howabout.... SANDSTORM

Barbeller

Scatter Brained
I would never EVER use combusken, except in maybye RU, otherwise infernape is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better. Why even consider using combusken in OU with that poor 85 base atk?

B-passing. If combusken gets swords dance then it is a crazy team helper. A bit like Ninjask but you can use it in the lower tiers.
howabout.... SANDSTORM
howabout... VULPIX
This would make the whole team crazy powerful.

mudkips

Awwwww Yeah!

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor

Okay, fine. After you get down to 1 HP with +2 to attack and speed, simply baton pass it to a Salamence or something. If you go against a pokemon that normally doesn't have priority moves (Dragonite, Gengar, Vaporeon) then by the time they switch out to a priority user, the boosts will be successfully passed, and your Salamence can OHKO the Conkeldurr or Infernape or whatever the foe sends up.

Psycho Cut

Combusken is simply to weak to do loads of damage directly but he could still give a substantial boost to your other team members:

;256; @ Focus Sash
Speed Boost
Adamant/Jolly
Moves:
--Protect
--Swords Dance
--Baton Bass
--Reversal

Protect, swords dance, protect, baton pass to bass on +2 Att and +3 speed on to another poke so that they can sweep with ease. Reversal is there so he can go for easy kills etc. Combusken can even come on after his main pass for a simple protect and baton pass to pass on a small speed boost that could just give one pokemon the edge it needs.