• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Spending More Time in School?

AlanL

Infinite Curiosity
I've already graduated from high school (took AP classes, enjoyed them, and now in college), and I'd have to disagree with lengthening the school day. It's simply going in the wrong direction. If Obama wants better results from the education system, the focus should be on efficiency, not raw quantity.

I've seen good classes back in high school, but I've also seen several classes where the teacher doesn't know how to teach effectively, or the class is unruly. Trying to shove them into the class room without improving teaching methods is like trying to cook a pizza in a half-broken oven by cooking it longer. It's brute-forcing it, not fixing the actual problem, it gets bad results, and in the end, nobody's happy about it.

The real solution is to improve teaching methods and train better teachers to teach better students from the start forwards. Better methods better involve students, get them interested and involved, and when they're interested, learning in a proper academic environment that encourages (especially voluntary) critical thinking, good grades and test scores will follow.

Not to mention, there's the other end of it, an increase in school time means a cut in play time. Whether you're a kid in school, or an adult in the work force, if you're happier, you're more efficient and in the end, more productive. If someone needs those extra hours for stress relief, and doesn't get them, the productivity lost to inefficiency could outweigh that gained by extra time, giving a net loss. This would just make the problem even worse in the end. Not to mention, in an extreme case, if massive amounts of children grow up without a childhood, there could be undesirable consequences for society at large.

Which brings up another point. Some kids, especially in poor areas, need to work to support their families. Children like these, and others who need time out of school for one reason or another, might just drop out all together if the hours were lengthened. Even if test scores somehow do go up a bit, is it worth the increased drop out rate? And since these drop-outs don't usually end up being very productive in their futures, this costs society at large as well.

All in all, it seems that the cost to society would outweigh the benefit, perhaps to a large degree, for increasing school hours. Increasing efficiency, on the other hand, would take some initial investment, to train better teachers and improve schools, but it would pay off with improved results from relatively little cost in the long run.

Jace

The funny part is that one of my AP teacher explained to me about summer vacation and how it stemmed from agricultural deadlines during harvest from the 1900s. He had also said that now that agriculture is practically extinct as a mass prospect, people are going to want to eliminate summer vacation as a whole and keep students year 'round.

After seeing the article and thinking back to what my teacher said almost a year ago, it looks like he was right.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
Must you end everything with an exclamation point?

You're in 8th grade. You don't even know the meaning of a stressful school schedule. When you get to HS, the last thing you'll want is having to spend more time in there. And just because you don't like lunch doesn't mean it should be cut for everyone else. Good god, some people actually LIKE to eat and talk with their friends.

No, I don't need to, and I musn't.

Yes, I'm in 8th grade.
I know the general time that the high school I am likely to go to, starts at 7:00AM, and ends around 1:00-2:45PM. Not saying that I know everything about it, but, I'm saying that I can already envision the stress I'll gain from it.

My school starts at 9:00AM and ends at 3:45PM, and the thing is, that I have difficulty waking my little sister, without her yelling at me, hitting me or kicking me, despite me trying to be nice about waking her up. She is also a demon, and will do her best to make my life horrible, and, she can cause me to be late.
My mom leaves around 7:30AM.
This means that I will have to deal with the stress of being ready for school, getting there on time, and knowing that my little sister is likely to be late to school.

Not to mention that I already know that 7th grade and further on into my education, everything I do, even the little things, could make a major impact on my future.
I'm a procrastinator, so, I often end up being late, or not doing the work, because I feel really tired.
This makes things extremely stressful, because I worry, and things get out of hand!

Now, I never said I love school entirely. Personally, if I could, I'd take online classes, because, I'm tired of dealing with rude, obnoxious, and immature class mates, and I know for a fact, that the maturity level stays the same, or gets worse, as people age, but, eventually, it gets better.
Though, school wouldn't be so bad if I could go to school with my friends, and have the same teachers, but, the people I'd rather not be around, aren't there.

Oh, and I never said I hated lunch and recess. I like to talk, I love to talk, and I love to eat! Sadly, my medication makes it to where I cannot eat much, because, if I do, I feel like I'll puke. Not to mention, that people think I talk too much, and that I can go on and on and on, repeating myself forever, so, people avoid conversations sometimes. I think they may want to look into a mirror, because they're not perfect.

I know what a stressful school schedule can be, I know stress. With high school, I'm probably going to hate (I mean 'strongly dislike') one specific thing, many fellow students. Though, I guess it won't be all bad, since I'll have friends, and great teachers/classes hopefully.

Farmermon

Is back once again!
I'd take yours to mine. I wake up really early for school (around 5 for barn chores) get done with all that feeding, watering, bedding, etc and come back in at 6 30. Ten I get cleaned up at leave on the bus. School starts 8:20. We get homework in at least 3 subjects a day. Then I have to play football. I do that until 6 and come home and do more chores. Then I come on here for a while and do homework, then go to bed at 11
Thats the life of a 9th grade farm boy for you.

Vaporeon4evr

Cyndakill
I don't know what ti think about this. I'll admit that more time and school could produce more educated generations of students, but at the same time, I just don't think more time in school is the answer. I partake in many exracurricular intellectual pursuits, even though I'm only a junior in high school. Hell, I went to Borders today and read a compilation of Kant's philosophical writings. If we want students to become more capable citizens, sticking them in a classroom a few more hours a day won't do much but cram more useless knowledge into their heads.

As it is, I attend an upper-middle class, 97% suburban causasion high school, which is arguably one of the most competitive high schools in the state of Texas. The academic expectations and competition are rigorous to say the least, and distinguishing myself from my peers is difficult, considering I'm barely in the top 5% of a graduating class of 900+ students. I feel no need for more classroom education. I am arrogant enough to believe that I can teach myself the subjects that interest me beyond school. Shoving me in a classroom more days a year won't do much for me. Personally, I need the extra time for individual development.

Lets see how much time we usually spend in school:

7 hours.(depends on the school,this seems to be average)
5/7 days a week.
About 4 and a half months of Summer.
12 years of school(not counting Kindergarden and Pre-K).

Increasing time would be pointless. School hours are long enough,and more time in school would mean less free time after school(not just for computer) and more stress.

Last edited:

HoennMaster

They don't care about your free time, they care about you being smart and reaching your full potential.

While American kids do need to get their ***es in gear and start taking school seriously, more hours is not the way.

No way! I may not be American but I know Anmericans and that would torcher them! I don't mind the more time in Summer since that is about how much time we have her in Australia (key word about) but 9 hours in school!?!?!? It's like saying, we're gonna turn you all into social-lifeless, monkey suit wearing slaves of society whether you like it or not! To me, I think the grades will drop for you guys coz highschoolers will just ditch. He had better not do it!

Slappy_Pancake

It's like saying, we're gonna turn you all into social-lifeless, monkey suit wearing slaves of society whether you like it or not! To me, I think the grades will drop for you guys coz highschoolers will just ditch. He had better not do it!
There's more to life than just being popular in high school.

Personally, I'm in favor of this idea, but I'm in Canada. Education may be very different here when compared to America. I'd love to go to school six days a week to be honest. It would allow people to learn so much more.

Noheart

The Abysswalker
LOL?

That'll never happen.

Obama will be dead if he steps one more foot into that idea.

>:|

I get fine grades, and enjoy my very-well-f***ing-deserved 2 month and a half summer vacation.
Not all american children are juvenile delinquents who are just complete brainless dopes.
Though, it seems like the number is slowly rising.
I used the word 'hypothetically' and my friend said 'what the hell does that mean?'

I'm in eighth grade, my friend's in tenth.

Also, try having to be at your bus stop at 6:30 guys.

when you're 13.

Last edited:

Mawile412

Problem
ugh my civics teacher brought this up tody. im afraid its gonna be true :(

TogeticTheRuler

LOL?

That'll never happen.

Obama will be dead if he steps one more foot into that idea.

>:|

I get fine grades, and enjoy my very-well-f***ing-deserved 2 month and a half summer vacation.
Not all american children are juvenile delinquents who are just complete brainless dopes.
Though, it seems like the number is slowly rising.
I used the word 'hypothetically' and my friend said 'what the hell does that mean?'
I'm in eighth grade, my friend's in tenth.

Also, try having to be at your bus stop at 6:30 guys.

when you're 13.

Getting good grades at eighth grade without trying much isn't an achivement at all, no offense x.x. In fact that should be the average, Nowadays it seems that any kid who isn't obviously crappy at w/e subject they're working on is "smart".

Thing is that nowadays the ideal student is rare and far inbetween; someone who has some motivation with doing his/her homework and listening in class to get good grades and makes use of his/her freetime by having fun efficiently(Like not watching TV/screwing around on the computer to procrascinate) not to mention some community service.
The standard is clearly dropping nowadays as more and more students are unmotivated to learn.

One good example is my french class, we're all rusty french and have trouble on some words. Even though we clearly have an entire book that teaches vocabulary and grammar we are just too 'lazy' to review even just for a bit.

3lmi

pimping aint easy
No, I don't need to, and I musn't.

Yes, I'm in 8th grade.
I know the general time that the high school I am likely to go to, starts at 7:00AM, and ends around 1:00-2:45PM. Not saying that I know everything about it, but, I'm saying that I can already envision the stress I'll gain from it.

My school starts at 9:00AM and ends at 3:45PM, and the thing is, that I have difficulty waking my little sister, without her yelling at me, hitting me or kicking me, despite me trying to be nice about waking her up. She is also a demon, and will do her best to make my life horrible, and, she can cause me to be late.
My mom leaves around 7:30AM.
This means that I will have to deal with the stress of being ready for school, getting there on time, and knowing that my little sister is likely to be late to school.

Not to mention that I already know that 7th grade and further on into my education, everything I do, even the little things, could make a major impact on my future.
I'm a procrastinator, so, I often end up being late, or not doing the work, because I feel really tired.
This makes things extremely stressful, because I worry, and things get out of hand!

Now, I never said I love school entirely. Personally, if I could, I'd take online classes, because, I'm tired of dealing with rude, obnoxious, and immature class mates, and I know for a fact, that the maturity level stays the same, or gets worse, as people age, but, eventually, it gets better.
Though, school wouldn't be so bad if I could go to school with my friends, and have the same teachers, but, the people I'd rather not be around, aren't there.

Oh, and I never said I hated lunch and recess. I like to talk, I love to talk, and I love to eat! Sadly, my medication makes it to where I cannot eat much, because, if I do, I feel like I'll puke. Not to mention, that people think I talk too much, and that I can go on and on and on, repeating myself forever, so, people avoid conversations sometimes. I think they may want to look into a mirror, because they're not perfect.

I know what a stressful school schedule can be, I know stress. With high school, I'm probably going to hate (I mean 'strongly dislike') one specific thing, many fellow students. Though, I guess it won't be all bad, since I'll have friends, and great teachers/classes hopefully.

I understand how you feel, as I am in Grade 8 too and have other siblings to worry about and have to take care of other siblings (4 sisters and 1 brother.).

I also have medications for my body so it makes it hard to enjoy like a pizza as my stomach gets full after taking them.

My little sisters have homework that I usually have to help them do and get them ready for bedtime because my mom is too tired from working to put them to sleep.

I also have like 6 pages of homework everyday and struggle to finish them as I am a procrastinator too.

I have wake them up at 6:00 and be ready by 7:00 which is very hard because they never go to sleep until like 12:00am, and my mom starts work at 8:30 so she is usually not here to help me get them ready.

I understand the classmates, my class is like a zoo! They always fight and get after school detention and I have to get suspension because I have to bring my siblings home and just can't let them take the school bus by themselves.

People always make rude comments about other students just because they are insecure about themselves because they have a secret that is eating them up (Alcoholic parents, poor, anorexic.)

What I'm basically trying to say is school is hard, especially for kids like us so i don't thing that more school would do any better.

I'm so glad I'm not American or my life will be even more stressful.

(Wow, one of my first epic rants...)

the jman

Ak47 I choose you!
Kids are bored enough at school as it is.
If you want kids to learn more, cut out the stupid crap like the 20minute ADVISORY class. Lengthiening the school day, will not yeild better test results, it will make it worse. Kids will be more restless, sports will get out way later, and parents will get ticked off.
You want better results? Stop boring us.

Akagi

i have a wacked sis
Listen closely.
I like obama and I still do. But man if his the congress likes his decision I don't know what i'd do.
Even though it's probaly not going to happen.

Dread Advocate

†Stay Metal†
POPPYCOCK! this wont improve the country's grades. itll just increase the drop out, and possibly the suicide, rate. its bad enough that i have to put up with my *****y french teacher for an hour and a half, but increasing school hours by 3 hours means adding, what, another 1.5 hours to classes. if this country's grades are to increase, then actually get teachers who can actually teach, like my US history teacher or world history teacher, not some poor sap who thought that they could teach in their mind but in reality cant.

Wow, do you honestly think the quality of education is any better in China and India?

Well if you did it isnt, okay the spend a LOT more time in school, and I applaud Obama for trying to help raise our educational standards here. Do I want to spend more time in school, no, do I realize why its important, yes.

Our school schedule is based on a time, when american parents needed their children home to plow the fields. Things are different now, Obama doesn't want to raise the school hours he wants to raise the amount of days in school to 200. Only 20 days.

Quit whining, for Christs sakes, there a children in this world who would kill their families to get a decent education.

nintendude 64

Dropped my balls!
Kids are bored enough at school as it is.
You want better results? Stop boring us.

Who ever said education was always going to be exciting and fun? Even if classes bore you, you should still make an effort to get good grades. Heck, I'm in 8th grade, and do classes bore me? Yes. But do I still make an effort? Yes. Life is more than videogames and friends. It's alot of work, too. I, however, am not for Obama's idea.