• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Spinners. The good, bad, and ugly?

I have no clue where you play UU and NU but it's just as common there

M4zz

Banned
It's kinda common in UU, but moreso rare in NU. Armaldo is the only Pokemon that can really use it.

One of the main things keeping Moltres from tearing apart UU is its SR weakness, the most common leads either stop SR or carry SR.

It's not a contradiction in the slightest, the leads are focused on either stopping entry hazards or setting them up. One can usually tell when a lead will be carrying rocks or not in UU, which is what I was referring to.

M4zz

Banned
I have no clue where you play UU and NU but it's just as common there

It's not a contradiction in the slightest, the leads are focused on either stopping entry hazards or setting them up. One can usually tell when a lead will be carrying rocks or not in UU, which is what I was referring to.

Your previous post implies it (Stealth Rocks) is as common in UU/NU as OU or Ubers. You then go to say not all leads use it, making the previous staement invalid. That is a contradiction.

It's not a contradiction because I also said many teams that do not carry it in the lead position use a support pokemon to set it up later, like Swampert or Heatran.

Doc is right...in 4th gen most people will carry SR on their lead, though if not they will probably have it somewhere on their team. Aside from Swampert and Heatran in OU, Registeel, Donphan, and Steelix also commonly carry it in UU.

if you want an offensive spinner, starmie is always always always the way to go. it has typing (sorta), stats and movepool to its advantage.

as for defensive... i think forry and tentacruel are the most used in that department, but there's obscure stuff like hitmontop that can foresight spin and stuff, which works pretty well with decent bulk and intimidate.

I've had some success in UU with a Rapid Spinning Hitmonlee. 9 times out of 10, my opponent has no clue Lee can even learn Rapid Spin and rarely switches to a spin blocker. Then I easily blow away their entry hazards and do some damage. And even if someone switches in a spin blocker, I've got Sucker Punch to punish 'em (except Spiritomb, but Stone Edge will handle a weakened one). I find it a pretty nice UU offensive spinner.

BaldWombat

Mortal Wombat!
I've had some success in UU with a Rapid Spinning Hitmonlee. 9 times out of 10, my opponent has no clue Lee can even learn Rapid Spin and rarely switches to a spin blocker. Then I easily blow away their entry hazards and do some damage. And even if someone switches in a spin blocker, I've got Sucker Punch to punish 'em (except Spiritomb, but Stone Edge will handle a weakened one). I find it a pretty nice UU offensive spinner.

Interesting concept. What set do you run?

Interesting concept. What set do you run?

Why thank you! I've actually run a variety if different sets, but I believe the most successful were a Choice Scarf set with Rapid Spin/Close Combat/Stone Edge/Blaze Kick, and an almost identical set with Life Orb and Sucker Punch > Blaze Kick. Iirc, Evs and nature were usually always Jolly 252Atk/252Spe/4HP.

i just saw this:
It's kinda common in UU, but moreso rare in NU. Armaldo is the only Pokemon that can really use it.
pinsir
gligar
golem
hippopotas
nidoqueen
probopass
regirock
relicanth
sandslash
shuckle
solrock
bibarel
corsola
cradily

might pay to know stuff about a tier before talking about it.

Zachmac

Smeargle
Focus Sash
Timid/Jolly
-Spore
-Rapid Spin
-Stealth Rock
-Destiny Bond

Spore a pokemon, and while they swap out, Rapid spin. If you don't have SR up, use stealth rock. If not, or the enemy is faster, use Destiny Bond right away. If the enemy is slower, and you don't think it has speed priority moves, use SR and then hang on with the focus sash to use destiny bond.

What do you think?

that's a terrible set because:

a) smeargle can't come in on anything and live.
b) it can't do shit to spinblockers, which is kinda important for a spinner.
c) having a sash and spinning hazards is kinda counterproductive don't you think?

gianttopper

i'm pretty sure thats a lead smeargle.
but anyways, that smeargle is very vulnerable to taunt.

but with regards to the OP's post, I think a forrestress will replace donphan the best. It can spin and set up rocks like donphan. It lacks ice shard to revenger kill but it can learn explosion. EXPLOSION.

it can't be a lead smeargle because what it outspeeds gets spored (and therefore doesn't get rocks up, unless it's @lum) and what it doesn't outspeed either taunts it or kills it, which basically means it loses every lead matchup ever (in terms of spinning).