• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Splash! Magikarp / Crown Yourself Slowking (1115)

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
when was the last time they've used an insert song outside of a movie? The last DP episode?
Since I haven't actively watched the dub since I was a kid (though I have sometimes checked out specific moments where insert-songs were used to great effect in the JP and inevitably found the dub had replaced them with just instrumental stuff), I can't really comment on when the last time was. I just know they played an extended version of the dub opening in the leadup to the Kanto League, and I was fairly certain that they at the very least hadn't used any since XY started.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Last I remember, it was during DP's Grand Festival, which was later used in the Sinnoh League for whatever reason. ...Did they ever officially release that song?

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
If Space Dandy taught me anything, having your episodes on drugs can be a great thing.

In fact, Pokemon should totally go the Dandy way! Screw coherent plots and silly character development. You only have this much fun when you shatter those barriers!
It works for Space Dandy because that’s just the type of show that it is from the get go only becoming stranger as it goes on. Pokémon on the other hand, isn’t.

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
I can't believe the writers found an excuse to have the Slowpoke and Magikarp songs that Pokemon put on YT over the last few years as insert songs in an episode.

In any case
Magikarp segment: I like that it was essentially Magikarp Jump the minisode, with elements from said game appearing during the training montage (like the jump counter which also appeared in Stadium). Speaking of, it's a shame it was never stated whether that Boldore was a random one (to reflect Boldore Push) or Ash's. I'm going with the former as Ash's older pokemon for the most part don't exist in this series and Boldore does appear as a training thing in Magikarp Jump. On another note, Magikarps can get abs? That's an image I wasn't expecting to see. I do like that the ShinyKarp guy was flexing, saying that he hasn't used his full power in the run up to the finals which in itself is a classic trope that shonens like to use, and then Go counterflexes by saying "Yeah I put a physical restraint on my (Level 100) Magikarp because why not?". I'm not surprised that Go lost on a technicality.
Slowking segment: This was some trippy af bs. First of all Go galaxy brains himself by trying to capture the Slowking after the pokedex explains about its intelligence, and speaking of said pokedex, there was no mention of the King's Rock in relation to Slowpoke's evolution into Slowking even though it was established back in the original series (EP260). Of course I will say I like that the episode continues the trend of featuring pokemon that haven't been seen in ages, in this case the last Slowking to appear was Conway's in DP over 550 episodes ago. In any case, the exchanging of Slowking's crown among Ash and Go and the dialogue during which was real WTF territory only for the trippy situation to be quelled by Go's (Level 100) Magikarp to land on top of Slowking.
In any case, I did enjoy the Magikarp segment over the Slowking one.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I'm usually far more interested in the more "serious" episodes like battle focused episodes but, so far, this is my favorite episode of the saga. Never have I been so amused and confused in a Pokémon episode. I know Ash wasn't going to catch Slowking but I wish he did lmao

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Plot twist: the first competition he'll win will be on Alola!

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Apparently this episode has aired in the UK now and... they kept the songs.

It says something about how little faith I have in the dub to do what actually makes sense that as far as I was concerned, it was legit uncertain if they would keep the songs that they already had English versions of or not.

EDIT: Also at the end of the Magikarp segment Goh says "Hey, who do you think you are? The narrator?!" Which might sound like an unfitting fourth-wall break but... This entire episode is deliberately crack and Ash is reading from the script so... yeah Imma give that line a hundred points out of a hundred it is perfect.

Last edited:

dman_dustin

Ashking is British in the dub. Ironically more than the Galarians.

Is it a surprise though?

The dub seems insistent on ignoring the point of the whole series and trying to make this the 8th generation anime which "takes" place in Galar which is United Kingdom. So everything has to spiritually be British and to hell with the themes going on the original.

To preface I'm not against British/English Ash.

It just adds to my dislike of the handling of the localization in context with "Coronation" and "Monarch" as if irritating cleverness is somehow better than the original Japanese giving you a clear cut easy straight translation.

It irritates me more than the games localizing shell blade to "razor shell" for no damn reason since "Leaf Blade" exists.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I'm still bitter they turned Dragon Dive into Dragon Rush.

C'mon, it's english and sounds cool already? What's the excuse? Specially for picking an inferior option?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Just saw a clip on twitter of British-Ash, its freaking hilarious omg. Sarah did a great job with that, i actually prefer it to the subbed version hehe. The dub doesnt disappoint in this series (for the most part)

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Nothing will compare to Masters!Viola's unexplained French accent by Brianna Knickerbocker.

"Fantastic!"

I dunno the japanese dub of Surge and Fantina can be quite funny with their non-japanese lines.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I dunno the japanese dub of Surge and Fantina can be quite funny with their non-japanese lines.
Eh. Japanese voices very often sneak in English words now and then. English voices rarely do ever use Japanese words (though the explanation here is the characters are actually talking in Japanese, but the sound is being translated to the audience outside the setting).

I'm not exactly sure why Masters!Viola has an accent but all her French friends don't.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
Honestly, the dub isn't always great, but everything in this one was perfect (except for the music specifically composed for the dub)!

Sarah Natochenny, who since SM has honestly been excellent (she plays the less serious Ash with great comedic timing imo), knocked it out of the park in this episode; the fact that they kept the Magikarp and Slowking songs, the little additions (like the 'look at these abs' right before James closes the door),...

Why can't the dub always be this great?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Why can't the dub always be this great?
Money.

Goldfarb.

Severe lack of advertisement due to lacking money.

Retaining the VAs who stole the roles from the actually good 4Kids cast.

Strange translation choices.

Lisa Ortiz when she totally believes her BFFs Circle can do it without Cup of Tea Production deals helping out when her team really can't.

Laurie Hymes somehow believing her Lillie voice is top-tier.

But really, it's mostly the poor budget.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
Money.

Goldfarb.

Severe lack of advertisement due to lacking money.

Retaining the VAs who stole the roles from the actually good 4Kids cast.

Strange translation choices.

Lisa Ortiz when she totally believes her BFFs Circle can do it without Cup of Tea Production deals helping out when her team really can't.

I completely agree on Goldfarb and consider him the main reason why the dub sucks at times. I also would add Carter Cathcart with his often cringey 'humour'. I basically watch the dub because my 4 year old kid loves Pokemon.

Some of the cast definitely isn't great (ugh, don't remind me of Lillie..), but I think the newer additions (Chloe and Goh) are great, and as I said in my post, I think Sarah is perfect for the current incarnation of Ash (I know you disagree).