• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Splash! Magikarp / Crown Yourself Slowking (1115)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
but I think the newer additions (Chloe and Goh) are great.
That's mostly because it's freakin' Cherami Leigh of Sword Art Online fame and rising star Zeno Robinson of Big City Greens fame.

If they actually let Cherami Leigh voice more characters than Chloe, they wouldn't need to hire or even use other VAs. She's like 3 different people in Pokemon Masters (Kris and Mina, though I don't remember if there were more), but her range is amazing (as Mina, she sounds like she's semi-drunk, but it's glorious because it's Mina). My head canon is they can actually afford Cherami because Chloe doesn't appear that much...so when she actually does appear more often, problems will probably come up.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Is this Magikarp Jump based on the minigame from Pokémon Stadium 1?

Here's what I texted my friend at two different points of this episode:

"Well that was depressing.. Goh just loses his Magikarp?"

"nvm lol"

Oh wow the pokeball collection from Sun and Moon, what a random continuity nod lol

And Diantha too, a future battle for Ash perhaps?

I hope Ash smacks her ass in PJ just to shove it to all the negative nellies who tell me Ash wasn't about to beat Diantha in XY&Z25

What bothers me in this episode is that Riolu isn't shown anywhere. It was already established he can't leave Ash's side. Why is he absent during the park segment, then?

You would act as if this matters smh:rolleyes:

Was that really a bad thing? As funny as it could've been, I don't think the world would be ready for either a buff Riolu or "Yado-Lu"

Plus, Riolu wasn't around for the Beautifly episode, & it doesn't look like it'll be appearing next week

Nah just ignore him he's just obsessed with Riolu and Lucario and has been since 2005

If they do anything with his speech pattern it's more likely that they'll just make him use uncharacteristically big and intelligent-sounding words. Thing is, flipping the script on having the English-speaking character randomly speak Japanese doesn't really work the same way having the Japanese-speaking person speak English does. Because English is much more *universally* understood than Japanese, so the Japanese audience would probably still have at least *some* idea what he was saying. With some of the lines at least. I seriously doubt they would have understood "CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTOR!"

Interesting. When watching the dub just now I thought that in the original, it must have been some sort of fancier or more erudite version of Japanese in the original, maybe using unnecessarily complex words for simple sentences.. I didn't for one moment think that it was English in the original.

Look this episode gave us the Koiking Song as an insert song over Satoshi apparently reading the episode script on-screen. I fail to see how you could possibly dislike that.

Thought: Since this episode had two songs in it that not only have official English translations, but said official English translations have been posted on the official Pokémon YouTube channel (and apparently the English adapted lyrics for the Magikarp song were done by Ed Goldfarb), this might be the first time in a very, very long time that the dub uses insert songs.

At least it should be. Seriously TPCi, if you don't use the official English Magikarp and Slowpoke songs that you have, you genuinely will have no excuse.

I'm glad they did!

I'm still bitter they turned Dragon Dive into Dragon Rush.

C'mon, it's english and sounds cool already? What's the excuse? Specially for picking an inferior option?

Wow I didn't even know this until just now smh

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Forgot to say something when I first posted about this: during the title card for the second half of the episode, after the WTP, Ash and Goh said the title but no words appeared on screen.. was this the same as the Japanese version?

Lord Starfish

Fond of owls
Forgot to say something when I first posted about this: during the title card for the second half of the episode, after the WTP, Ash and Goh said the title but no words appeared on screen.. was this the same as the Japanese version?
Nope.
cYJ5Z4O.png

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I'll be honest, I think this was the worst pokémon episode I've ever seen. People comparing this to Sun and Moon, this is nothing like Sun and Moon. Sun and Moon had solid and consistent character writing, the characters had motivations and emotions that made sense, were shown, and were consistent for their characters. Even in the comedic filler episodes. This on the other hand, doesn't. There is no motivation set for Go to join the Magikarp competition, he just goes train for it without the episode ever establishing why this thing grabs his interest. Then there's a training montage, and then the event with a one-off rival character to beat. In terms of raw plot, it's similar to say, the Charjabug race episode from Sun and Moon. A competitive event is established, a protagonist decides to join, training montage, event happens and protagonist does well thanks to training. Only difference is, that episode actually established Sophocles' motivation to enter, actually expanded upon the race mechanics with different roles and things that had to be done like changing tires, established a roadblock in the training with Charjabug's initial lack of motivation and struggles to work together with Sophocles, and had challenges happen during the race that Sophocles had to overcome, like how he had to overcome steep inclines in the race by having Charjabug climb and drive across Ash or how he conquered low grip with applying Charjabug's String Shot on the tires. This episode establishes none of that. There are no concrete roadblocks for Go to overcome, there is no motivation established, and nothing happens in the event itself. All the Magikarp do is jump. That's literally all there is to it. No technique, no twists, nothing more than that. This is literally the most barebones way of executing the "train from novice to participate in an event and then do well to show growth" plot ever, the execution is horrible.

Then we get to the results of the competition. Unlike previous episodes that also use this plot format like the episode with the snow sled jumping from Sun and Moon, or the Charjabug race, or Mallow competing in the cooking competition, the results here are absolutely ludicrous. Go's Magikarp literally reaching space doesn't make any sense. Sure, it's a kid's show about magical pets, but even then, there is at least some kind of limit of what is believable within this universe. Lillie didn't become world-class pokémon sled jumping in that episode, Charjabug didn't drive faster than the speed of sound. And it's not even funny. Jokes have to have at least some kind of punchline, at least some element to them that makes you think "okay, that was weird and unexpected, but it also somehow makes a bit of sense now that I think about it". Like how Kiawe blowing up the living room in the Z-pose game in the sleepover has underlying that it makes sense for his overly competitive character to go overboard, especially when Inferno Overdrive comes up. This is weird and out there, but there is no underlying sense to Magikarp reaching space. There's no double entendre either, there's nothing that ties Magikarp or Go to space. And if you think Bewear was also insane; it was, but it was established from the beginning to have insane superpowers that they slowly built up more and more. It made sense in a way because it was Bewear, and Bewear was just Bewear. This Magikarp doesn't have any of that established build-up, it just comes out of nowhere.

To come back to character writing, Go's response to his pokémon literally ending up in space. He doesn't care. He spends an entire training montage with this fish, but when he literally loses his pokémon there is nothing to show that he cares. Nothing at all. Not even a single shot showing any kind of grief or "oh no is Magikarp going to be okay" or "oh no I lost Magikarp". The episode doesn't care, the storyboard doesn't care, nobody cares. Go gets disqualified, and without even doing the bare minimum, like trying to look for a way to save his Magikarp and reunite with it, he just goes on to his next adventure. In the Raboot in Hoenn episode and the episode with the missing food at the lab Go actually displayed some level of concern for his troubled pokémon and did his best. He was awful at figuring out what was wrong with his pokémon, but at least he tried, and I was hoping that at least they were trying to establish some kind of empathy and character growth with him, but then this episode comes and all that is just squandered and destroyed when he doesn't even display the slightest bit of care when his own pokémon that he spent an entire training montage on in this very episode literally ends up in space and likely lost forever if he doesn't act. It just paints his character as a horrible person, it's even beyond how Misty treated Psyduck back in the days of OS. It's on the level of how Charmander's original trainer back in OS abandoned it in the rain. In other words, it's on the level of how villains treat their pokémon when the writing has to establish those villains as evil. The only reason why it's not immediately apparent to the audience how horrible this is is that Magikarp doesn't have a personality or display any kind of emotion, it might as well be a plushie with a jumping mechanism inside. Magikarp isn't presented as something with consciousness or emotions at all.

And then there's the second half of the episode, completely disjointed from the first half. It's weird, most of it is just the characters playing hot potato with the Shellder, and that's it. There's no motivation to be found, no character, no twists, it's just a repetitive gag that goes on for way too long when it's not even that funny after the first time. If they want to keep the joke going, at least add unique twists to it instead of just repeating the same gag over and over again, it just drags.

Altogether, this episode was horrible. It rushed from event to event without establishing characters, didn't even consider the implications that the actions of the characters have for what those actions tell about the characters, made absolutely no sense, had little to no comedic moments that were genuinely funny or clever, only did the most barebones approach to this kind of plot without any kind of obstacles for the protagonists to deal with, and actively proceeded to annihilate Go's potential as a likable character by having him abandon his own pokémon in the vacuum of space without care. At least Damien's Charmander could have feasibly walked to a pokémon centre.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I'll be honest, I think this was the worst pokémon episode I've ever seen. People comparing this to Sun and Moon, this is nothing like Sun and Moon. Sun and Moon had solid and consistent character writing, the characters had motivations and emotions that made sense, were shown, and were consistent for their characters. Even in the comedic filler episodes. This on the other hand, doesn't. There is no motivation set for Go to join the Magikarp competition, he just goes train for it without the episode ever establishing why this thing grabs his interest. Then there's a training montage, and then the event with a one-off rival character to beat. In terms of raw plot, it's similar to say, the Charjabug race episode from Sun and Moon. A competitive event is established, a protagonist decides to join, training montage, event happens and protagonist does well thanks to training. Only difference is, that episode actually established Sophocles' motivation to enter, actually expanded upon the race mechanics with different roles and things that had to be done like changing tires, established a roadblock in the training with Charjabug's initial lack of motivation and struggles to work together with Sophocles, and had challenges happen during the race that Sophocles had to overcome, like how he had to overcome steep inclines in the race by having Charjabug climb and drive across Ash or how he conquered low grip with applying Charjabug's String Shot on the tires. This episode establishes none of that. There are no concrete roadblocks for Go to overcome, there is no motivation established, and nothing happens in the event itself. All the Magikarp do is jump. That's literally all there is to it. No technique, no twists, nothing more than that. This is literally the most barebones way of executing the "train from novice to participate in an event and then do well to show growth" plot ever, the execution is horrible.

Then we get to the results of the competition. Unlike previous episodes that also use this plot format like the episode with the snow sled jumping from Sun and Moon, or the Charjabug race, or Mallow competing in the cooking competition, the results here are absolutely ludicrous. Go's Magikarp literally reaching space doesn't make any sense. Sure, it's a kid's show about magical pets, but even then, there is at least some kind of limit of what is believable within this universe. Lillie didn't become world-class pokémon sled jumping in that episode, Charjabug didn't drive faster than the speed of sound. And it's not even funny. Jokes have to have at least some kind of punchline, at least some element to them that makes you think "okay, that was weird and unexpected, but it also somehow makes a bit of sense now that I think about it". Like how Kiawe blowing up the living room in the Z-pose game in the sleepover has underlying that it makes sense for his overly competitive character to go overboard, especially when Inferno Overdrive comes up. This is weird and out there, but there is no underlying sense to Magikarp reaching space. There's no double entendre either, there's nothing that ties Magikarp or Go to space. And if you think Bewear was also insane; it was, but it was established from the beginning to have insane superpowers that they slowly built up more and more. It made sense in a way because it was Bewear, and Bewear was just Bewear. This Magikarp doesn't have any of that established build-up, it just comes out of nowhere.

To come back to character writing, Go's response to his pokémon literally ending up in space. He doesn't care. He spends an entire training montage with this fish, but when he literally loses his pokémon there is nothing to show that he cares. Nothing at all. Not even a single shot showing any kind of grief or "oh no is Magikarp going to be okay" or "oh no I lost Magikarp". The episode doesn't care, the storyboard doesn't care, nobody cares. Go gets disqualified, and without even doing the bare minimum, like trying to look for a way to save his Magikarp and reunite with it, he just goes on to his next adventure. In the Raboot in Hoenn episode and the episode with the missing food at the lab Go actually displayed some level of concern for his troubled pokémon and did his best. He was awful at figuring out what was wrong with his pokémon, but at least he tried, and I was hoping that at least they were trying to establish some kind of empathy and character growth with him, but then this episode comes and all that is just squandered and destroyed when he doesn't even display the slightest bit of care when his own pokémon that he spent an entire training montage on in this very episode literally ends up in space and likely lost forever if he doesn't act. It just paints his character as a horrible person, it's even beyond how Misty treated Psyduck back in the days of OS. It's on the level of how Charmander's original trainer back in OS abandoned it in the rain. In other words, it's on the level of how villains treat their pokémon when the writing has to establish those villains as evil. The only reason why it's not immediately apparent to the audience how horrible this is is that Magikarp doesn't have a personality or display any kind of emotion, it might as well be a plushie with a jumping mechanism inside. Magikarp isn't presented as something with consciousness or emotions at all.

And then there's the second half of the episode, completely disjointed from the first half. It's weird, most of it is just the characters playing hot potato with the Shellder, and that's it. There's no motivation to be found, no character, no twists, it's just a repetitive gag that goes on for way too long when it's not even that funny after the first time. If they want to keep the joke going, at least add unique twists to it instead of just repeating the same gag over and over again, it just drags.

Altogether, this episode was horrible. It rushed from event to event without establishing characters, didn't even consider the implications that the actions of the characters have for what those actions tell about the characters, made absolutely no sense, had little to no comedic moments that were genuinely funny or clever, only did the most barebones approach to this kind of plot without any kind of obstacles for the protagonists to deal with, and actively proceeded to annihilate Go's potential as a likable character by having him abandon his own pokémon in the vacuum of space without care. At least Damien's Charmander could have feasibly walked to a pokémon centre.
It's not that deep bro, this was meant to be an absolutely silly bonker comedic episode and it did that well. End of story

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Nothing wrong with expecting some kind of character consistency in this show, regardless of whether it's a plot relevant episode or a comedic episode, it's not South Park or Family Guy or something. This level is just far below what Pokémon writers are capable of. This episode had nothing good about it, nothing was executed well. If Go is caring about his pokémon in one episode and doesn't give a damn in the next, without any rhyme or reason, that's just poor writing and character inconsistency, it makes me have no idea what kind of character Go is supposed to be, because he's all over the place. Someone who only cares about his pokédex collection or a trainer who actually cares about his pokémon and values their feelings? Seriously, what about being a comedic episode does this episode well, and why does that necessitate or excuse character inconsistency?

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Nothing wrong with expecting some kind of character consistency in this show, regardless of whether it's a plot relevant episode or a comedic episode, it's not South Park or Family Guy or something. This level is just far below what Pokémon writers are capable of. This episode had nothing good about it, nothing was executed well. If Go is caring about his pokémon in one episode and doesn't give a damn in the next, without any rhyme or reason, that's just poor writing and character inconsistency, it makes me have no idea what kind of character Go is supposed to be, because he's all over the place. Someone who only cares about his pokédex collection or a trainer who actually cares about his pokémon and values their feelings? Seriously, what about being a comedic episode does this episode well, and why does that necessitate or excuse character inconsistency?
I don't see how Goh doesn't care for his mons? He was concerned when it went out to space. It isn't meant to be taken as something that characterizes Goh lol, it was just a silly bonker moment, this episode was meant to be an acid trip lol, think of it as a shitposting episode. Ss for comedic parts, that's subjective but many including myself found many parts and jokes funny so I won't say it failed at that

EmberFireTrainer

An anomaly
This was such a weird episode! First Goh’s Magikarp jumps who only knows how high into space never to be seen again.... wait a minute.

And then, what I thought was going to be a boring and uneventful episode of Ash and Goh watching a bunch of Slowpokes turned out to be an episode with so much weirdness. I didn't realize that Slowking could just take its crown off just like that. I always thought it was a fixed to him. I guess like Meowth and his charm. So I thought that was weird.

Anyway, it gets even weirder. The Slowking hat landing on Ash with Ash being all weird to Goh's dismay and speaking with a dignified English accent (I watched the English dub) really made the episode. It was also funny how they were hitting the slowking hat away from them each time it came back to them like it was possessed or something.

The episode was definitely not what I expected but in a good way!

I hate this episode because Ash was acting like a weirdo. What where the writers smoking?