• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Splatoon

Born Better

God of Lightning
So for anyone who hasn't really been keeping up with this game, it's been getting its own pic of the day type updates on twitter since the last trailer. BUT I'M AFRAID I'VE GOT SOME BAD NEWS! None of it is officially translated. Fortunately Neogaf has taken the time out to translate them.

Anyone excited? Think this could be Nintendo's next big thing (cause they're sure as hell pushing it like it)? Do you not care one way or another or do you think this game is an abomination that should have never been conceived? Maybe you're just happy that Nintendo's finally making a new IP for first time since 2000 (Miis, Xenoblade, etc. say hi) Thoughts? Opinions and all that crap? Post em right here.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
Oh, I forgot this was a thing, I'm surprised nobody took the initiative to make a thread for the game sooner.

I don't have a lot to say about the game though, not because I don't think it's good but because it's not the kind of game I can see myself playing so I haven't been following it much. My initial reactions are about the same as everyone else's though, it looks odd and very cartoony, which is a combination that generally turns people away too early. That said they've got an incredibly unique concept to base a game around and I'm legitimately impressed with how it's looking. I don't know if it'll necessarily be the next big thing but if nothing else it's really cool to see Nintendo putting out something completely new. Different has worked for Nintendo in the past so I think it deserves a chance.

Zachmac

Something about the art style really throws me off. It's not that I have anything against cartoon-like art styles - I find some cartoon-like games to be very charming. It's just...I don't like this specific art style. I can't say exactly what about it I don't like. It just feels sort of...gross to me.

The game looks fun, but I can't see myself enjoying it simply because the style makes me uncomfortable.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
This game is looking amazing. This game is a breath of fresh air both for Nintendo and the industry in general, and the game is really weird and quirky in the right kind of way. Really hope it catches on, it would make a nice addition to Nintendo's lineup.

Born Better

God of Lightning
Oh, I forgot this was a thing, I'm surprised nobody took the initiative to make a thread for the game sooner.

I don't have a lot to say about the game though, not because I don't think it's good but because it's not the kind of game I can see myself playing so I haven't been following it much. My initial reactions are about the same as everyone else's though, it looks odd and very cartoony, which is a combination that generally turns people away too early. That said they've got an incredibly unique concept to base a game around and I'm legitimately impressed with how it's looking. I don't know if it'll necessarily be the next big thing but if nothing else it's really cool to see Nintendo putting out something completely new. Different has worked for Nintendo in the past so I think it deserves a chance.

I'm pretty sure most people's reaction was more along the lines of "This is awesome! clap! clap! clap clap clap!"

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
When I first saw the game get announced at E3 I got really excited for it, just makes me wish I could have actually gone there to play it.
It's multiplayer looks incredibly fun, not your typical shooter game where all the players do is just shoot each other constantly. I'm really glad though that they added a single player campaign(even though I knew they would add it in), but that trailer was slightly strange at first showing off the enemy. Hilarious though watching all the propaganda from the Octopi. So I can't wait to play through the single player as well as playing multiplayer matches. I like how there's character customization as well I just wonder if it's for both singleplayer and multiplayer or just for online.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Multiplayer does look incredibly fun and unique. The gameplay looks very dynamic thanks to the constant change in ink layout during the match and the Super Jump which allows for other players to jump back into the action immediately. What I'd really like to see though is confirmation on multiple multiplayer modes. For instance, I could see a Capture the Flag style game working well with the gameplay. I could see a lot of strategy developing around how to navigate the arena as quickly as possible to find the flag and other players supporting the faster players to make it easier to find the flag and get back to base.

But I'm more excited for single player, partially because I just like single player games better but also because the trailer implies that the single player is very well designed. The game seems to use the core mechanics very well, a lot of the level gimmicks play off the ink mechanics and swimming very well and seem to provide an excellent mix of shooting, platforming, and a little bit of stealth as well. There's a lot of subtle things in the trailer that show this (I actually didn't pick up on a lot of these things until I saw some analysis videos):

-0:50: Notice when the player approaches the Octopi that question marks appear over their heads while she's swimming through the ink, which turn to exclamation points when the player pops out. This implies that you can swim in the ink to sneak up on enemies. The Twitter account later confirms this, but mentions that it only works on certain types.
-0:54: This scene shows a moving platform with a grate in the middle and an Octopus shooting at the player. The player shoots ink on the platform and quickly dives through the ink while the platform is moving to the left to quickly dodge the enemy and attack them from another angle.
-0:59: The player is shooting ink into the fan to make it move, but if you notice when the player stops shooting ink, the fan starts to move backwards. This means that you need to shoot a steady stream of ink at the fan or else it will move back to its starting position. The Twitter account adds more information about these blocks and says that enemies can jump onto it. This means that you have to be very careful about how you use these, if you go too slow then you're vulnerable to enemies and if you move around too much you waste ink.
-There's several ink based traps in the levels. One is shown in at 1:09 which dumps ink as it moves along and seems to cause instant death. Another is shown at 1:18 where you can shoot a grate and it will spout out a pillar of ink which you can use to your advantage.

From the looks of it, single player is going to have that same dynamic feel as multiplayer, but it's also going to provide a challenge for you where you need to use the core mechanics and the level design to your advantage. You can really tell that they put a lot of thought into this game.

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Splatoon discussion

I'm surprised no one has made a thread for this game yet. Anyways here is where you guys can discuss about Nintendo's new IP Splatoon.

Psynergy

Strong Winds
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm surprised no one has made a thread for this game yet. Anyways here is where you guys can discuss about Nintendo's new IP Splatoon.

Moving this post to bump the existing thread so that we don't have to keep making new threads every time the old one dies out. Given information is sometimes sparse feel free to bump this thread if new info comes out.

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
At first I was really skeptical about this but Splatoon is really shaping up to be a fun as hell multi-player game.

Pre-ordered. Can't wait to play this.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Gotta say I wasn't expecting a hub world, looks awesome.

EDIT: BTW guys, there's an official Tumblr page for this game (there's also a Japanese Twitter account which the Tumblr is a translation of) that updates frequently explaining various parts of the game in detail:

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/

There's way too many posts for me to go over all of them, but here's some of the things that they've revealed that hasn't been covered in the trailers:

-The story entails the protagonist (wearing a special suit) exploring the Octopi's underground base. The Octopi are planning to invade the surface because they desire to live in the Squids' world and their base is designed after certain surface world areas. The Octopi have also captured electric catfish which are used as a power source in the Squids' world, and the protagonist's goal is to rescue them (apparently collecting them ends the level).
-It also explains the roles of several characters. The old naval general guy serves as a tutorial character, and the octopus girl is simply a class of different Octopi (possibly a set of bosses/minibosses).
-You can do 1 on 1 multiplayer matches.
-The bubble shield in the trailer is a type of Super Weapon that repels attacks.
-Squids dissolve in water (the post was simply used to demonstrate what we already guessed which is that falling into the water is instant death, however, it does have several interesting implications. It implies that the squids are made of ink, and it could mean that there are other water based obstacles in the game that could also insta-kill the player).
-Sponge blocks expand when shot by squid ink and contract when shot by octopus ink.
-Fans can also be used to ram enemies.
-There is a tougher variation of the standard Octopus soldiers which has two tentacles.

Last edited:

Zyon

NUM NUM NUM
Moving this post to bump the existing thread so that we don't have to keep making new threads every time the old one dies out. Given information is sometimes sparse feel free to bump this thread if new info comes out.
My apologies, I forgot there was already a thread for the game that just died out. I tried searching for any kind of thread before hand but I couldn't find anything which was why I was surprised.

Anyways, for me the game just keeps getting better and better every time Nintendo shows it off. The hub looks great and I really like the fact it connects to Miiverse showing other player's characters.

Born Better

God of Lightning
B65Q_OxCEAAXFZm.jpg

Pic of the Day: The squid peoples don't like water. If they go into it, they dissolve like that one witch.

the real post]Breaking news! One of our interns recently saw a squid guy fall into a creek during a turf war, and guess what?! The squid dissolved! This suggests that these creatures can’t maintain a solid form when submerged in water. Does this mean that they’re actually made of liquid? The mystery deepens…

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
B65Q_OxCEAAXFZm.jpg

Pic of the Day: The squid peoples don't like water. If they go into it, they dissolve like that one witch.

the real post]Breaking news! One of our interns recently saw a squid guy fall into a creek during a turf war, and guess what?! The squid dissolved! This suggests that these creatures can’t maintain a solid form when submerged in water. Does this mean that they’re actually made of liquid? The mystery deepens…

Yeah, that was in the Tumblr, they posted that like, 2 weeks ago. I didn't post individually posts because there's too many of them. Oh, and you might want to spoiler that image, it's kinda big.

Right the Tumblr is talking about the hub world:

[SPOIL]
tumblr_ni8biaYMgj1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

This just in! We’ve now learned that most of the crazy squid creatures we’ve been studying call this city home. The central plaza is apparently a favorite hangout for all of the hip-and-happening squid folk. If this were Tokyo, the plaza would sort of be like Shibuya. I guess their cities aren’t so different from our own!

tumblr_ni8bqtm1Q21u3akyno1_1280.jpg

New info coming at ya! We’ve just received confirmation that this tower is a very important landmark in the plaza area. Our undercover interns have observed the squid creatures entering the base of the tower to play in turf-war battles online! Now it makes sense why so many squid folk are always hanging out in the plaza. How fascinating!

tumblr_niakt8gYxt1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Hot new nugget! Our researchers have identified four shops in the squid plaza’s shopping district: a weapons shop, a headgear shop, a clothing shop, and a shoe shop. The items in stock at the clothing, headgear, and shoe shops apparently change from day to day, so be sure to check back frequently!

tumblr_nial6xOPnn1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Breaking news! We’ve now learned that the amount of in-game currency these crazy squids get from each match is tied to how much turf they cover with ink. So if you want the hottest fashions, you’d better get busy during battle!
[/SPOIL]

Born Better

God of Lightning
The pic of the day post was the reference. The updates are sort of like them, so I figured I'd have some fun with it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
The Tumblr updated, with a couple of posts focusing on the weapons shop and some of the weapons:

[SPOIL]
tumblr_nihjncnekQ1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

This is the shop where squid fighters buy new weapons to use in battle. Apparently this place is known for excellent customer service, but word on the street is that they won’t sell you certain weapons if you aren’t ready to use them. Sounds like racking up experience in battle is the key to earning the shopkeeper’s approval!

tumblr_nihjozY5lS1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

We’ve just confirmed that this horseshoe crab dude is the owner of the weapons shop. He’s reportedly obsessed with all types of military gear. This love has come at a cost, though, as cleaning and polishing his gear all day every day has apparently made him extremely nearsighted. No wonder his glasses are so thick. What a nerd!

tumblr_nihjtnZmsa1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Check this out! Squid fighters can take a set of three weapons into battle: a main weapon, a sub weapon, and a special weapon. Turf wars are considered a serious sport in the squid world, and as such, the weapon manufacturers are constantly competing to outdo one another with new innovations to help these athletes gain the upper hand…er, tentacle.

tumblr_nihjw1DZg51u3akyno1_1280.jpg

New report! We’ve just received intel on a sub weapon that appears to be some sort of ink shield. Activating it apparently blocks enemy attacks and progress for a short time. This is a great example of how sub weapons can be used not only for attacking purposes, but for defense and team support as well.

tumblr_nihk05u5dQ1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

Breaking news! One of our interns just texted over this new image of one of the special weapons. Apparently when this thing is ready to use, if you tap a location on the GamePad, you’ll launch a missile to that spot, creating a veritable swirling maelstrom of ink when it hits. Apparently it’s not super difficult to dodge, but we’re hearing that there’s no finer way to scatter opponents and drive them back.
[/SPOIL]