1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Splatoon

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Born Better, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Playboy has a video up showing Splatoon gameplay with playmates.

2. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

The gaming media has gotten to preview Splatoon with a demo including several mulitplayer maps and gameplay modes and some single player levels. The biggest reveal out of this build was a new multiplayer mode called Splat Zones, which is a king of the hill style mode where the two teams fight over a specified part of the arena. When a team has the majority of that area covered in their ink, their timer counts down. The first team to reach 0 wins. Splat Zones is part of the Ranked Battle category, which is unlocked after the player reaches Lv. 10 and will be updated in the game when enough people reach Lv. 10.

Have some gameplay footage:

Splat Zones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZehXrZV8II
    Turf War in Blackbelly Skatepark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea9-w8r1Xik
    Single Player Level 3: Rise of the Octocopters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEpl1LQ3k0M
    Single Player Level 5: Floating Sponge Garden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loZfGvEfkYA
    Various Single Player Levels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FpmNR_8ybQ

3. SkyBlue

SkyBlue I ate ColtonL

So how does everyone feel the splatoon amiibos are going to work?
    I'm torn between they'll just unlock the outfits we've seen, or maybe they'll have more that we haven't seen. If they do have more than I hope they have a ton more than just 3 outfits.

4. Psynergy

Psynergy Strong Winds Staff Member Super Mod

Right, forgot to make note of it in the Direct Thread but a Splatoon Direct went up a few hours ago. I've not been paying much attention to the game so I don't have much else to add but here it is for those who want to watch it but missed it/didn't know.

5. Bolt the Cat

Bolt the Cat Bringing the Thunder

I didn't really like the Direct, it gave the impression that there's not a lot of value in the game Day 1. The Direct itself spent most of its time recapping what we already knew, and for the most part the only new information we got was on post launch updates. It kinda feels like on disc DLC (only not as exploitative thankfully because it's free), a lot of it feels like things that should've been in the game Day 1 and they ran out of time to include it. The multiplayer modes in particular feel lacking, seeing as you only have Turf War initially, then Splat Zones unlocks when there's a sizeable enough userbase, then 2 more come in a later update. Playing only 2 multiplayer modes for a few months is going to get old fast. So if I weren't already interested in the idea of this game, I wouldn't want to buy it at launch. It doesn't seem like there's enough content for a $60 game.

6. Happy Hydreigon

Happy Hydreigon Kahuna Mikah

So, is the only weapon available in the beta going to be the Splatershot, or will the full range be accessible.

7. Excitable Boy

now I'm hoping reviewers righteously tear this game a new one and make it bomb so that I can snag it for cheap when it actually starts being good

8. Genos

Genos Old Town Road

Just a reminder that the Global Testfire will begin at 8:00 pm-9:00 pm Pacific Standard Time for today.

Tomorrow is at 4:00 am-5:00 am PST and 12:00 pm-1:00 pm PST.

9. Auraninja

Auraninja I'm ready to Smash

So, I did one of the runs. I'm not terribly good, but my fondest moments were when I hit a sniper from behind (only to get roll'd), and the time I stopped some rollers and received over 800 points that time.

10. Excitable Boy

Not really sure what to think of the game thus far.

The mechanics seem rock-solid, and all the control jiggering ends up working out pretty well, but having to deal with playing on two maps during a session out of five total will get old fast.

The Splat Roller stood out with the condensed corridors on the two maps available, though given its relative ineffectiveness when it comes to walls, I think it's as OP as Little Mac; once more people start taking advantage of the maps' laterality and learn how to properly aim, it ought to be a bit more tame.

Not sure if the Splat Charger will redeem itself, though; a sniper rifle in a game where shooting other players is only tangential to the primary goal doesn't seem promising, particularly when there's so much mobility afforded by the other weapons and there's no voice chat with which to strategery.

Not much of a fan of Walleye Warehouse - most of my matches just gridlocked around the middle, with successful pushes toward the opposing base basically guaranteeing victory due to the linearity - but Saltspray Rig seemed to work out better; the variance of vantage points and larger space lends itself better to the less overtly confrontational feel of the game, I felt.

Pretty fun, though; managed to consistently score in the 800-1000 range by the end. I'll definitely have to keep an eye on it.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  11. Genos

Genos Old Town Road

This game was FUN! I like the first gun and it's ability (really comes in handy when facing close enemies). The roller is indeed op, it should at least be 2 hits. The charger will be handy when customization comes (to speed up the charge time). I like the Warehouse better, the other one seems a bit boring. The motion controls are meh. I'm having a bit trouble figuring out the sensitivity on the standard controls.

I'll be playing in the morning again for this.

12. bobandbill

bobandbill Winning Smile Staff Member Super Mod

Tried out the demo. The short tutorial beforehand was a nice idea. Wifi held up pretty well - no dropouts or even noticeable lag for myself (and I have Australian internet!) The minigame you could play while waiting for people to join was a neat idea as well. Mine was sort of like ice climbers.

The gameplay was pretty fun. Didn't like the sniper weapon much but liked the second of the guns and the roller. Got some decent scores as well despite my inexperience with shooter games.

13. bobjr

bobjr It's Fusion, I don't have to expalin it. Staff Member Moderator

The sniper is meant to be a cover fire weapon. Get up high, and make sure your rollers don't get killed.

The biggest problem of the game so far is you don't see what weapons your team will have, so you can have a horrible weapon balance.

14. Genos

Genos Old Town Road

Tried the game in the 2nd session. I realize the negative numbers means a slow movement for sensitivity (which I like) and the positive numbers means faster. Anyways I got better each match, getting a few high kills and one to no deaths matches. I always tend to have a strategy on what to do (do I flank the enemies or go to non-combat areas to shoot paint). Either way I really think on my matches. LOL this one match with 40 seconds to go, 3 enemies rage quit! Like...wow

Definitely looking forward to this game. Is it May 29th yet? :D

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  15. Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness Eternal Evil

I had a lot of fun with the demo. I was doing it at a friends house, so there was a lot of yelling, but overall, a lot of fun. Can't wait to get the game May 29th.

16. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "WOOO! Who needs medicine?!"

I decided to give this demo a go in the last trial.

Paint rollers are really OP. Next would be the sniper that can defeat foes in one go. The rest of the weapons fall a little and aren't as usable.

17. Aegon

Aegon Well-Known Member

I was too lazy to get up for the midday session, so I played the demo in its final hour. It was enjoyable, but the gameplay doesn't look to have much depth. I haven't been following updates on this game, so perhaps the further content in the full version will present more possibilities. I don't intend to buy it at launch, but I'm interested in seeing how it's received. The soundtrack is quite memorable. At least Splatoon will expand the Wii U's library of exclusives with a genre it has been lacking, though I don't imagine it'll make much difference at this point.

18. R_N

R_N Well-Known Member

the problem with paint rollers is its slow, turns weirdly and is at a total loss if you have any sort of elevation. They're powerful but can be worked around. It's just something to get used to in an environment that is available for more than an hour at a time

19. Excitable Boy

you can tell who's had enough experience to know how to aim properly and who hasn't by who's claiming that rollers are overpowered

that said, this game would really benefit from letting you swap out weaponry while the match loads; as bad as it is being matched with three rollers, being matched with three snipers is even worse

20. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "WOOO! Who needs medicine?!"

I don't know, man. Those Paint roller people knew what they were doing by suddenly springing up and splattering people.