1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Splatoon

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Born Better, Dec 11, 2014.

1. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

amiibo fanatics turn sour?

2. SkyBlue

SkyBlue I ate ColtonL

Who's hyped for playing it at midnight? Ik I am. Eshop ftw.
    and best buy has shipped my 3 pack today. So much hype >.<

3. Recon

Recon 11001101011101010100

4. Excitable Boy

Excitable Boy is a metaphor

Is there a Super Scope lookalike as well, or just a Light Gun?

5. Recon

Seems like light gun only right now, but I wouldn't count out a Super Scope as future DLC.

6. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Where's the KISS concert at?"

The digital version went live just as the community already filled with dozens of posts. This game will go to great heights.

Still undecided about buying it now. I want to clear my backlog a little more.

7. Genos

Genos Sigh...Summertime

I seen streams of it and the game looks so good on those frames!

8. Eternal Darkness

Eternal Darkness Eternal Evil

A friend and I are going to stand outside a Fred Meyer in 15 minutes to get it and some amiibo's. Let's see how lucky we get

9. Happy Hydreigon

Happy Hydreigon Kahuna Mikah

So, has anyone else in the UK who were affected by the Splatoon bundle problem not got their copy yet?

10. Zyon

Zyon NUM NUM NUM

Was able to play 3 hours of the game earlier today, even though sometimes I'd be playing the same map x3 in a row I didn't care. It's amazingly addicting, I've been wanting this game ever since it was first announced.
    I would probably be playing it right now, but my Wii U is hooked up to the only TV in my families house. It's kind of a pain since there's usually someone watching TV. Future games like XCX, Mario Maker, even Zelda U that comes out next year(not even mentioning the games they might announce at E3) makes me want to buy a TV to put in my room. It'd be great too since I'm mostly in my room on my computer anyways.

11. Genos

Genos Sigh...Summertime

Game's pretty fun. Gotten to level 6 and haven't tried SP yet.

12. Torpoleon

Torpoleon Well-Known Member

I'm really enjoying Splatoon so far! I'm up to level 7 of the single player and my character is ranked Level 6.

13. bobandbill

bobandbill Winning Smile Staff Member Super Mod

Had a lot of fun with this yesterday, and got up to level 14. Currently taking a break but will play again today. Few things that could be improved - I'd like different clothes to be available more often, more than 2 maps for hours to battle on (not too big an issue though) and when playing the same time as a friend to not go up against them 6 times in a row, haha. But overall very fun, and hopefully new maps will help with the second qualm. Glad I got this game. =)

The kraken roller is great when you figure out how to time it. Spend a while building up the special (easy because that just means painting the ground near your base), then head to a choke point and RELEASE THE KRAKEN in everyone's faces. It's faster than retreating players as well, and even good for making a hasty retreat. Meanwhile lay down those extra teleport points (I think corners/hidden sections near the middle or the enemy's base is better) and hope your team actually bothers to use them when needed... Rollers do need some support because you're a sitting duck otherwise, but I guess that's the point of the game - team play!

Not huge into collecting amiibo so I just got the girl one. It looks pretty neat.

14. KillerDraco

KillerDraco The Enforcer Staff Member Super Mod

Emphasizing this. I've had quite a few friends of mine complain that the rollers are overpowered (especially when I was using it against them), and I've seen this sentiment echoed on the Miiverse as well. Rollers are pretty easy to use, as they cover a lot of area with Ink really quickly, and can 1HKO players. That said... the lack of ranged combat really causes them to be pretty easy to pick off if you pay attention to where they are, forcing them to rely on the element of surprise to actually KO anything. I've also noticed that inexperienced roller players as easy to spot on the minimap; if you see a wave of ink quickly moving towards you, you know they're coming. In addition, they absolutely suck at getting ink on walls, so for levels like the oil rig and the skatepart where there are steep slopes and high places that act as sniping points, Rollers absolutely suck at getting enough ink to climb up them.

That said, when they've got support from long and mid-range characters, they are absolutely brutal. With support from a Charger (sniper), they can basically do their thing with ease, since the ranged assistance can help pick off enemies who might try to gun down your roller before they get there. In addition, a big crossfire can provide the perfect distraction for rollers to just roll in and splat people, especially if they're not laying down a layer of ink until they get close so it's not a giveaway.

Rollers are definitely controversial subjects, but I don't think they're as bad as some people make them out to be. I've seen teams with 2-3 rollers get absolutely demolished because they can't reliably approach in a crossfire. One roller on a team is usually perfect, two is tricky but manageable, while 3 or 4 is just a mess.

15. Recon

Since we're on the subject of OP weapons, let's talk about our personal experiences with weapons!

From my experience using them, I feel that the Aerospray MG and Aerospray RG are pretty OP, the latter especially. 9/10 I end up with the most points on my team.

They fire quickly and cover a lot of area, so their special builds super quick. Inkzooka on the MG is good if you're got good angle and chokepoint to fire from, while the RG's Inkstrike is great for covering more area and zoning enemies away from a specific point. Sub-weapons on the other hand, I like the RG's Land mind more than the MG's Seeker. Find a place where enemies often come through and place the mine, or place it as you're running away so that even if you get killed, you at least have a good chance of killing your enemy.

As for combat, due to how frequently it fires, it isn't hard for me to get a kill, even against rollers that are coming towards me. The only times I have trouble is if I'm up against a .52 Gal or .96 Gal. Those things wreck me hard due to superior firepower.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  16. Spacial

Spacial procrastination

Yeah, despite GAME's email saying it would arrive in Friday it arrived yesterday for me... Ah well!

17. Rakurai

Rakurai Well-Known Member

The higher leveled players really seem to be a fan of the shooters with the Bubbler and/or a high firing speed (Namely the Aerosprays).

While I like how well the Aerospray covers terrain, I'm not too keen on the fact that virtually every other weapon can beat it in a head-on shoot out due to its low damage output and range.

18. Recon

Really? Cause I usually win shootouts with it. Though it may be cause I tend to flank enemies rather than charge head on.

19. Torpoleon

Torpoleon Well-Known Member

I just reached Level 10! Hopefully ranked battles become available soon. Progress seems to be pretty good so far. Maybe by the end of the week it will be available.

Hopefully they increase the level cap in the future. The max right now is Level 20. I'll probably reach that by the time the big August update hits.

20. Recon

I know most people don't care about this but since I have no real friends (sniff), I must brag about my 1620 score I just got in a game of Splatoon. Note that I am only lvl 15, and I have not seen a single score above 1500 until now.

And yes, I am using the Aerospray. IT'S SO GOOD!

Last edited: May 31, 2015