• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Splatoon

Torpoleon

I'm starting to dislike playing against Japanese players.

The servers for the game are apparently based in Japan, which means they generally have the lowest latency out of all the players. This basically means that whatever you see them doing has actually happened a second or two earlier for them, which means you'll frequently end up getting splatted by them after they've already been splatted themselves. The most extreme case was me splatting a roller user from about three meters away, only for him to somehow splat me almost three seconds later.
That explains it. If only there was options for regional and worldwide battles, like in Mario Kart 8.

In any case, I'm excited for the new stage, though it will be 10 PM here and I'll be asleep. At least I get out of school early.

Speaking of stages, once we get a lot more stages, I hope they change how stages are picked. Maybe make it so that before each match people vote on 2 random stages, kind of like other shooting games (and Mario Kart 8). Maybe even throw in a random icon that could pick any stage.

Oh by the way I just beat the single-player today. It was alright. Still need 6 more Sunken Scrolls, which I'll be sure to do tomorrow. Is it worth it to upgrade your gear in the single-player?

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I have hardly played any single player, haha. And I played quite a bit on the weekend... so whoops, level 17 as of last night. :V Probably should try other weapons soon and then actually bother with the single player (which I am looking forward to...)

And apparently new weapons and maps to be released today too. Yay! Maybe I'll be in multi for a while longer. =p

KillerDraco

Well, Ranked Battles are live, along with an all new mode, Splat Zone. It's basically a "King of the Hill" type battle, with emphasis on controlling one or two "Zones", which, when covered with Ink, will cause your team's timer to count down. If the timer elapses, that team wins. If neither timer elapses by the time the match's timer runs out, then whoever's timer has counted down more wins.

...And I've found that Rollers kinda suck in Splat Zone. There's much greater emphasis on defense when controlling a single area, so Chargers and Aerosprays are king.

Edit: With further testing, Bubbler is really great for Splat Zone. Since there's more emphasis on quick clashes, that invincibility can make it really difficult to steal back the Zone.

Last edited:

Recon

Well, Ranked Battles are live, along with an all new mode, Splat Zone. It's basically a "King of the Hill" type battle, with emphasis on controlling one or two "Zones", which, when covered with Ink, will cause your team's timer to count down. If the timer elapses, that team wins. If neither timer elapses by the time the match's timer runs out, then whoever's timer has counted down more wins.

...And I've found that Rollers kinda suck in Splat Zone. There's much greater emphasis on defense when controlling a single area, so Chargers and Aerosprays are king.

Edit: With further testing, Bubbler is really great for Splat Zone. Since there's more emphasis on quick clashes, that invincibility can make it really difficult to steal back the Zone.

Ranked mode is interesting, haven't tried using Aerosprays yet since I've been roleplaying the Sniper and using the E-liter 3k to snipe opponents. It's hit or miss. Unlike Turf War, it seems there isn't a "sure-fire" strategy or weapon that allows you to dominate. I like it, but at the same time don't, since I can do a really good job, but I don't get anything when I lose. Maybe I'm too used to the Aerospray just giving me a bunch of points.

Also, it doesn't matter if it's League of Legends or Splatoon, Ranked queue takes a long time.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

Ranked mode is interesting, haven't tried using Aerosprays yet since I've been roleplaying the Sniper and using the E-liter 3k to snipe opponents. It's hit or miss. Unlike Turf War, it seems there isn't a "sure-fire" strategy or weapon that allows you to dominate. I like it, but at the same time don't, since I can do a really good job, but I don't get anything when I lose. Maybe I'm too used to the Aerospray just giving me a bunch of points.

Yeah, the All-or-Nothing approach will dissuade people trying to level up or make cash, and it's really only for those who want to challenge themselves. That said, I find it somewhat... silly that even Ranked mode still uses random teams that switch after every match. I've had some truly horrid teams, from those who ink everywhere EXCEPT the Splat Zone, to those who charge in alone when the Splat Zone is controlled by the other side and get instantly owned, and so on. So there's still a bit of chance involved; your ranking is never really about you specifically, but rather, your performance plus or minor the performances of your teammates.

Recon

Yeah, the All-or-Nothing approach will dissuade people trying to level up or make cash, and it's really only for those who want to challenge themselves. That said, I find it somewhat... silly that even Ranked mode still uses random teams that switch after every match. I've had some truly horrid teams, from those who ink everywhere EXCEPT the Splat Zone, to those who charge in alone when the Splat Zone is controlled by the other side and get instantly owned, and so on. So there's still a bit of chance involved; your ranking is never really about you specifically, but rather, your performance plus or minor the performances of your teammates.

Yeah. I'm used to getting carried by my team, so I try to fill the support the best I can. The problem is when there's multiple players with chargers on the team. Then it gets tough.

As of right now I can't find a weapon that I am particularly comfortable with in Ranked. I know I've mentioned I've been using the E-Liter since it has the most range out of any weapon, but once the enemy figures out I'm sniping them, they tend to flank me and try to splat me. Which is fine and dandy, since I'm drawing away attention, but I'd still like to be able to defend myself. Maybe I should try using the one charger with the land mine.

woot21

super noob
Can you set up matches/parties with friends? Say someone from here wanted to host some games of this for the users, would that be possible?

woot21 out dawgs

Ragnarok

#BeastMode
Staff member
Super Mod
I have hit level 20. :)

The Gal Deco and Splattershot Jr are my favourites I think. Aerospray was alright at the start but now I can cover most ground with those two guns and the extra firepower is nice. :D

With that though, I think I am done with the game atleast till August/new maps come out. Sorry but Splat Zones really sucks.

Can you set up matches/parties with friends? Say someone from here wanted to host some games of this for the users, would that be possible?

woot21 out dawgs

You can't set up friend rooms till the big update in August.

Though I guess you can have one guy enter a turf war and then have their friends join him through the friends list but that's really tedious.

Grey Wind

Splat Zones is really fun. It's annoying getting saddled with an awful team (I honestly feel like some people think they're playing Turf War) but when you're with a decent crew it's a blast.

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
My best friend, TheSlowestKing, has came up with an idea for a Single/Multiplayer mode for Splatoon DLC. He thought of the idea for an arena type mode where you go through hoardes of enemies in order to get exclusive gear. You could play by yourself or one could use the TV while the other uses the GamePad.

Born Better

God of Lightning
My best friend, TheSlowestKing, has came up with an idea for a Single/Multiplayer mode for Splatoon DLC. He thought of the idea for an arena type mode where you go through hoardes of enemies in order to get exclusive gear. You could play by yourself or one could use the TV while the other uses the GamePad.

Sooooooo this? because that'd be sweet. I'd really like to see offline bots(no points or cash if it's really that big of an issue), a team deathmatch mode because, and octolings.

For anyway who cares, there's gonna be a Squid Girl costume coming at some point, though only in Japan right now.

Last edited:

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
Sooooooo this? because that'd be sweet. I'd really like to see offline bots(no points or cash if it's really that big of an issue), a team deathmatch mode because, and octolings.

For anyway who cares, there's gonna be a Squid Girl costume coming at some point, though only in Japan right now.

Yeah, they could use the online maps and create them like some kind of maze where you have to find and defeat all enemies or heck, just throw in some maps designed with this new mode in mind(I'm being greedy I know!), and maybe give us a ranking after every 5 waves out of 1 star, 2 star or 3 star, and whatever rank you get determines the amount of slots an exclusive gear piece will have, and maybe give us challenges like the amiibo challenges where you have a time limit to defeat the Octolings, or you have to use the Splattershot Pro(an example) to do a parkour challenge.

Genos

The Indigo Disk
The Inkbrush is out! Only 4800 coins.

KillerDraco

And as expected, Regular battles are absolutely flooded with Inkbrush users right now. And a lot of people are using them wrong. People seem to be treating them like a roller by trying to just run into people, but unlike rollers they lack the power to do so. They seem a bit weak though, because they function sort of like the Aerospray in that they're designed to overwhelm with quick strikes, but unlike the Aerospray they don't have the range to do so quite as effectively. Still though, they are highly mobile, so they're pretty good at beating a hasty retreat while being hard to follow, since they're not slowed down at all by laying ink.

Rakurai

The actual "rolling" the inkbrush does doesn't seem very useful for much other then covering extremely narrow paths or laying a path for teammates to follow in splat zones.

I tend to find myself using it more like an Aerospray and jumping in and out of ink, swinging the brush wildly in whatever direction needs painting.

KillerDraco

I tend to find myself using it more like an Aerospray and jumping in and out of ink, swinging the brush wildly in whatever direction needs painting.

That's actually a fair comparison, since the Inkbrush tends to favor fast strikes that are relatively weak. However, for that reason, it seems kind of inferior to the Aerospray, IMO. I find myself having a hard time justifying using it given Aerospray does largely the same thing, but with superior range, and better wall-covering abilities for if you need to scale a wall.

Then again, this may be preemptive. It's been less than 24 hours so I can't say with any sense of certainty.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Just wondering if this game is really what it was hyped up to be.

I plan on getting Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World, however I just want to make sure I'm not getting a game that will bore me in an hour or so.