• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Splatoon

SkyBlue

I ate ColtonL
Just wondering if this game is really what it was hyped up to be.

I plan on getting Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World, however I just want to make sure I'm not getting a game that will bore me in an hour or so.

The single player can take you up to 4 hours and its super fun!
Multiplayer is simply fantastic! (though if you play during times that most other regions do like japanese players, then prepare to face some laggy rollers)
Its an amazing game, unless you hate shooters lol

Happy Hydreigon

Kahuna Mikah
How do you get access to the "sub" skills that you can unlock with your gear?

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Just wondering if this game is really what it was hyped up to be.

I plan on getting Splatoon and Yoshi's Woolly World, however I just want to make sure I'm not getting a game that will bore me in an hour or so.

The Single Player campaign and the Online battles are different beasts.

At best, completing the first will last you like 7 or so hours. It demands more strategy and sneaking skills, though it has some neat platforming ideas. You do have to play through here to unlock some weapons. However, after that, you'll head straight for the BIGGER meat.

The online aspect is the main attraction, where your income to buy more stuff from the shops and more weapons will come, along with increasing your "fresh" level to access even more stuff.

The local multiplayer aspect is perhaps one of the worst things in a Nintendo system, shockingly enough, because you can only play against another human player. So avoid this like the plague.

By the way, I'd say that the price doesn't justify the game as it is now because it lacks stages for online battles (and weapons, but you have plenty of choices at the start). The lack of stages is slightly justified in that they're releasing them as free DLC over the Summer, probably to extend the replay value.

Dive into this game if you really want to play a very good online game. For anything else... Wait till it drops every stage.

Last edited:

KillerDraco

I find myself unable to play Splatoon for long periods of time, and the reason is the random team setup. It really sucks when you get stuck on the losing team because your teammates aren't pulling your weight, especially when your score on the losing team is still higher than people on the winning team. Even if you try to play with friends, you're often stuck playing against them instead. Look, the lack of team chat? Don't care, it's not a big deal. But having a random team every single time causes frustration levels to rise when I play, because when you've got someone inking paths that have already been inked, or just trying to rush head-first into an Aerospray as a roller... It just gets old, fast.

...I guess you could consider this a vent post. Been getting stuck with a lot of rubbish teams lately, and the way Splatoon is designed, even one person not pulling their weight can be truly detrimental.

Recon

I find myself unable to play Splatoon for long periods of time, and the reason is the random team setup. It really sucks when you get stuck on the losing team because your teammates aren't pulling your weight, especially when your score on the losing team is still higher than people on the winning team. Even if you try to play with friends, you're often stuck playing against them instead. Look, the lack of team chat? Don't care, it's not a big deal. But having a random team every single time causes frustration levels to rise when I play, because when you've got someone inking paths that have already been inked, or just trying to rush head-first into an Aerospray as a roller... It just gets old, fast.

...I guess you could consider this a vent post. Been getting stuck with a lot of rubbish teams lately, and the way Splatoon is designed, even one person not pulling their weight can be truly detrimental.

Now you know how we MOBA players feel. SOOOOOOO glad voice chat was not implemented.

There's an appropriate Chinese saying which I shall give a rough translation to: "Don't fear the team that act like wolves, but fear the teammates that act like pigs".

Rakurai

I think the Blaster is my new favorite weapon.

The OHKO potential on it makes it an excellent ambust weapon and the lack of range on it isn't much of an issue if you abuse its ability to hit around corners.

It's also hilarious how it can single-handedly block off narrow chokepoints like the ramps in Urchin Underpass and Arowana Mall.

Recon

Isn't this weekend the cat vs dog thing? I'm excited. I'll hopefully have some time to hop back on for a few hours.

GO CATS!

Rakurai

I'm not sure why they thought allowing those things to double back the way they came was a good idea.

They'd be annoying enough if they could only move forward.

Recon

Apparently, Kelp Dome goes up today/tomorrow. Just in time for the splat fest.

Rakurai

Now we're getting the Splash-o-Matic on Saturday.

Looks to be a long range shooter with a tight firing radius.

Hexin' Wishes

Diva Extraordinaire
Wait, so you can't play with friends at all? Only against them?

That's terrible! Definitely not buying this.

Recon

Wait, so you can't play with friends at all? Only against them?

That's terrible! Definitely not buying this.

Apparently there may be an update that allows you to team up with 3 other friends, but it's not available. As for joining friends, it's random if youyou're on a team with them or not.

Rakurai

I find the Splash-o-Matic to be even more annoying to deal with then the Aerospray because of how disruptive its special is, coupled with the fact that it gets access to it way more often then the only other weapon with it (The Rapid Blaster) due to how good its terrain coverage is.

The suction bomb rush covers tons of turf and is a big enough threat to other players to force them back off until the bomb spam is through with. As icing on the cake, any bombs that go off after the special ends will contribute towards filling the gauge, meaning you'll have access to it that much sooner.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I'm...shocked. This is the only place I know where Splatoon isn't that popular, unlike in GameFaqs.

Anyway, next week, it will be SplatFest in NA (Dogs versus Cats), then two weeks later for Europe (Pop Music versus Rock Music). Japan already had its SplatFest, though, but someone pointed out what you can expect from it:

*Best change is the base. Miiverse posts are everywhere. The stages are now set at night, and there's only one piece of music (including last 1 minute remix).

*You have to wear the T-shirt and can't even change clothing (just the body) during the Fes.

*Normal Turf War and Ranked Matches aren't available; only Fes Matches.

*Played like Turf War from a pool of 3 possible stages that haven't changed yet (we're over halfway through the event now, so unlikely to ever change.) This means your Rating for the Splatfest will be maintained for the entire event.

*I filled in the slots on my T-shirt prior to the event, but at some point during the week they got blanked out again (maybe after the new stage dropped?) Not sure it is worth filling them in beforehand.

*Fes Rank is handled by filling a new gauge. You get 1 Pt for covering 200pts of Turf, another 1 Pt for 400 (so win or lose, you should always score 2 Pts per Match) and then 3 Pts for winning. So the max you can score per match is 5. Reach Rank requires the following scores to Rank up - I won't bother with the name because they are likely to be localized anyway.

Rank 1 - 10Pts
Rank 2 - 25Pts
Rank 3 - 50Pts
Rank 4 - 99Pts

After that the Gauge just changes to MAX. So as you can see, even if you lose every single match you "only" need to play 92 matches, so long as you always score at least 400, in order to MAX the rank. There's no need to be sitting playing all day, then, unless you really want to feel like you are making a contribution to your team overall - something that doesn't appear to be displayed in the game at all.

*Seeing as you are matched in teams, if you choose "Continue" after a match you can in theory just stay with the same 4 players. You can't jump to Friend's games though so no real way to get matched with a friend. Matchmaking will still happily put 4 20s against a few 3s and 10s, so it's as an uneven experience as Turf War has become in general.

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm...shocked. This is the only place I know where Splatoon isn't that popular, unlike in GameFaqs.
Too busy playing Splatoon personally. =p

Ju8st managed to get to B rank in ranked today. I had a few horrow streaks with teams and could not get out of B-. I bet I'll go back down when I next play, but I'm not too fussed, plenty of time to get to the highest rank.
Anyway, next week, it will be SplatFest in NA (Dogs versus Cats), then two weeks later for Europe (Pop Music versus Rock Music).
I am assuming Australia gets lumped in with Europe. Rock Music team for me!

Trainer Frankie

Nostalgia.
Question...does painting walls mean nothing when scoring at the end? Or is it literally just the floor?

KillerDraco

Question...does painting walls mean nothing when scoring at the end? Or is it literally just the floor?

Walls don't count towards the overall % at the end, but they have good strategy value for allowing you to secure high ground by swimming up said walls, and of course you can ink whatever's at the top of those walls that you wouldn't otherwise be able to ink easily (such as is the case in Saltspray Rig). And of course, it can fill your special gauge too.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Splashfest has been delayed in NA by another week (and I assume Europe too) due to a problem found in the Japanese Splashfest that kept many people from entering matches. They want to fix the issue.