• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Splatoon

Phsy-Spark

your wish is my strong recommendation
That's kinda a neat theme. I hope NA's is announced soon. It would be fun to try out the Bento Splatterscope in a Splatfest.

Favourite weapon out of the new ones is the N'Zap 83 so far.

Last edited:

Genos

The Indigo Disk

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Are they hinting at the last Splatfest?

I mean, the game's been out for a year, and it seems to be pretty much content-complete. It wouldn't be unusual to cut off active support for the game in the next couple of months.

Tangeh

Are they hinting at the last Splatfest?

I mean, the game's been out for a year, and it seems to be pretty much content-complete. It wouldn't be unusual to cut off active support for the game in the next couple of months.

I mean there's new splatoon amiibos coming out in Japan a month from now ... I highly highly doubt Nintendo would cut off active support for Splatoon anytime before the NX is released (I mean Mario kart and smash 4 are still going strong) but it could be possible that they're alluding to the last splatfest. I kind of doubt it though. >_>

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I mean there's new splatoon amiibos coming out in Japan a month from now

A couple weeks from now at this point, and IIRC it's just extra music and performances in-game.

That would probably line up with the next Splatfest, actually. It'd make sense for them to shift to just passively cycling through maps after that's done.

(I mean Mario kart and smash 4 are still going strong)

Their DLC releases both ended a little over a year after their initial release as well.

Tangeh

Oh I'm not talking about DLC. I mean they'll probably keep patching as needed. I guess they could do another sheldons picks thing but I don't think that's really necessary. Man would a new stage be awesome. ^___^ but yeah I doubt it. Lol.

Dunno about splatfests. I mean those are more comparable to the tournaments in XY and I'm pretty sure those are still going on. But I do think there is a meaning behind that dialogue so. ^_^ we will see.

R_N

stoping splat fests entirely would be kind of a bum deal wouldn't it? Primary source of sea snails and all, right?

I could see them just looping through those automatically.

Tangeh

Yeah, there would be no other way to get snails... Guess that would give me an opportunity to use my 1.7 million coins lol.

I guess the problem with looping would be that everyone already knows the results of what it was the first time around, but hey better than no snails.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
I don't know if looping the events is feasible, or even necessary; if the snails are really that important, they could just patch those in as rewards for people getting exp past 50, or something along those lines, for the benefit of those still playing.

Considering the amount of work it takes to set them up, though, I wouldn't expect new Splatfests to continue into perpetuity, at the very least; Nintendo does need to free up developers for Spla2n, after all. With Splatoon's moment in the sun having come and gone, now's the time to wind down continued development.

R_N

I don't know if looping the events is feasible, or even necessary; if the snails are really that important, they could just patch those in as rewards for people getting exp past 50, or something along those lines, for the benefit of those still playing.

Considering the amount of work it takes to set them up, though, I wouldn't expect new Splatfests to continue into perpetuity, at the very least; Nintendo does need to free up developers for Spla2n, after all. With Splatoon's moment in the sun having come and gone, now's the time to wind down continued development.

I'd think looping the splatfests wouldn't take much more manpower than smash, somehow, still getting continued balance patches. At least until the wii u is finally dead for real and not in this weird state of "uhhhh, just...a little longer...?"

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
The last Smash balance patch only served to tone down Bayonetta, and that will probably continue to be the last one. That might be at least as intensive than Splatfests, but it's arguably more necessary.

Running Splatfests entails, among other things, writing and localizing text, locking colors, maps, and teams, tracking individual win records and scores, setting up Miiverse to accommodate team submissions, making new art assets, and sending out PR accordingly, all while ensuring that it doesn't interfere with whatever else Nintendo is doing at the time. That's not something that can be set to be automated, unless they took the "cycle through previous Splatfest themes" route, and even then, you'd need some humans checking up scheduling and keeping the servers in line.

R_N

The last Smash balance patch only served to tone down Bayonetta, and that will probably continue to be the last one. That might be at least as intensive than Splatfests, but it's arguably more necessary.

Running Splatfests entails, among other things, writing and localizing text, locking colors, maps, and teams, tracking individual win records and scores, setting up Miiverse to accommodate team submissions, making new art assets, and sending out PR accordingly, all while ensuring that it doesn't interfere with whatever else Nintendo is doing at the time. That's not something that can be set to be automated, unless they took the "cycle through previous Splatfest themes" route, and even then, you'd need some humans checking up scheduling and keeping the servers in line.

Yeah just...just recycle the splatfests like I said before, then?
The servers would need to be kept in line regardless, tracking is probably handled by the game itself and not some beancounters, all the assets & dialog have already been made, miiverse communities can just be reopened (& probably handled by miiverse staff), the only new PR would be the noa/splatoon twitter/tumblr make a periodic post about it...i'm not seeing the issue there. They would probably require only a small team that has to periodically care about it alongside their other duties, assuming they're not able to automate the bulk of it entirely.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Looping seems feasible from Nintendo's end, though that might have its own issues from the users' perspective.

They'd probably just have to keep it to the generic ones, since I doubt they'd rerun stuff like Transformers or Pokemon.

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Last edited: