• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

(spoiler)'s motivations?

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
So, what really was Volo's motivation anyway? I see a lot of people saying that he wanted a world without suffering, but he never addresses that like Cyrus did. He never talks about what his new world would be like at all.

The way I saw it when I played is that he saw it as possibly the one thing that would get Arceus's attention, to threaten everything it had made. But it's weird, because he's so obsessed with getting answers from it, and if he succeeded in creating a new world, he could never have those answers no matter what.

But at the same time, isn't that part of his zealous nature, to be so consumed in his narrow vision that caring about literally anything else falls by the wayside, even if that "anything else" is the universe itself? He's going to get those answers or everything else is going to die trying, and the fact that if he did that then he can never get what he wants may not even occur to someone as fanatical as that.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
He wanted to make a better world as evidence by what he says prior to going to the pillar.
"You see, ever since I was young, whenever I met with something painful or heartbreaking... I couldn't help but wonder why life was so unfair. Why I was cursed to live through such things. Of course, I imagine we all go through something like that. Eventually, I chose to direct all my energy into my own natural curiosity and ambition. And what tickled my curiosity more strongly than anything were the mysteries to be found in legends, in history, in ruins... You see, I fancied that by unraveling these mysteries, I could find out how the world itself came to be–and with that knowledge, maybe even forge a new, better world!"
It almost sounds like he witness something truly tragic in his life (perhaps it was more than one thing), but the dialogue isn't specific to what he's referring to that is "painful or heartbreaking". He also could just be referring to how life is naturally filled with tragic events. His curiosity aroused when he was seeking answers to why life was unfair to him (and others maybe).

So TL;DR, his curiosity came from his overall ambition to making a new life. You want to make a difference so you learn how.

Also interesting is his association with Giratina, as he feels forsaken by Arceus, like how Giratina was literally forsakened.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Even then though he says "I imagine we all go through something like that", so it seems to almost...not exactly nullify it but dull the rest of his statement, so it's very strange. At least with Cyrus we know his specific worldview was shaped by his harsh upbringing, but with Volo we don't have any detail like that, so we have no clue as to what he could mean.

Oh yeah, he even calls Giratina the "unwanted child" and I know a lot of people say he's projecting his own experiences, but again we don't have any details on his life. He certainly has a great deal of empathy for Giratina regardless of what his own story is, though.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Yeah, the game doesn't explicitly tell you, and whether that's was the intention of the scenario writers or not, it leaves a lot to your imagination.

What did Volo experience? Was there something particularly upsetting from his childhood? What was the breaking point for him?

Luthor

In addition to what other people mentioned I felt it was implied that because he's is fascinated by myths and legends (possibly due to Volo himself being descended from ancient Sinnoh people) and became completely obsessed (at least that's what I take from his dreams comment). He also doesn't seem to care much for his current life a merchant (given his interactions with Cogita)

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
Yeah, he doesn't even consider himself part of the guild even though he is (even though Ginter doesn't seem to care either way. At least Volo sells you some things at, like, one point, which is more than two other guild members).

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think he wanted a world that wasn’t governed by time and space alone. He seemed to have wanted a world that could continue to grow without any restrictions hindering the process. Volo definitely wasn’t like Cyrus as he never did express a desire to rid the world of all emotions. He just felt that it wasn’t advancing fast enough to the point people could live easier lives without working so hard and settle down in more permanent locations.

Blackjack Gabbiani

Clearly we're great!
If anything, Volo is ruled by his emotions. I mean, Cyrus was too but tried to maintain plausible deniability. Volo is far more open with his emotions and his zeal.