• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

[Spoilers Included] My opinion on why Serena and Ash will be together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omegaz

Captain Amourica
Ok so I know right from the start that some people will disagree with me on this as I know not everyone likes Amourshipping, but I just want to give my opinion. Feel free to share yours as well. Also, there are some spoilers so precede with caution. Anyways, here are my reasons:

1. Serena is the first character whose love for Ash is cannon: So I thought that I'd start off with what I think may be one of the biggest reasons as to why it may happen. In every other Pokemon series, a PokeGirl's love for Ash has always been an assumption. People see tiny clues as reasons to assume someone like Misty, May, etc liked Ash. In XY and XYZ, Serena's love for Ash is made apparent by the writers. This was announced back in XY26 with the interactions between Serena and Miette. Since then, we've seen loads of other clues to suggest that it is very much a thing, such as Serena blushing whenever either Miette makes a comment about Ash or when Ash compliments her on something. Furthermore, we see that other characters in the anime have pointed out this fact. In XY89, Shauna makes a comment about this to which we see Serena clearly embarrassed about it. We also have seen twice that Bonnie knows about it as well (XY79 and XYZ22).

2. Serena and Ash have a longer relationship than any other character: The whole origin to Serena's character is that she met Ash in a summer camp back in Pallet Town. It was at this camp where Ash helped Serena when she hurt her leg. No character has had that kind of relationship with Ash. Serena is the first character to have a backstory connected to Ash, which would make it ideal for the two of them to stay together.

3. Serena is the first PokeGirl to actually be invited by Ash to travel with him: Every other character (Misty, May, etc.) has forced their way into traveling with Ash. For example, Misty followed Ash because he destroyed her bike. Ash never asked her to travel with him.

4. Serena is the only character to have received a gift from Ash: At the end of XY59, aka the "Date episode" (more on that later), Ash gives Serena the ribbon he received from the monorail company (I'm not sure if its a monorail or a train but whatever). No other character has actually received anything from Ash.

5. Serena and Ash go on a date?: I did say that I would get to this. XY59 drew a lot of attention for people because it seemed as though Ash and Serena were on a date (kinda). While it may not have been much, it is something different as we've never seen Ash and one of his female companions go someplace with no one else (people or pokemon).

6. Serena has a rival based solely on her love for Ash: Ok, I know a lot of you are going to disagree with me here, but I personally think that Miette is only relevant to this series for one thing; her interest in Ash. I mean when it comes to performances, it seems as though Shauna or Jesse would be much more of a rival to Serena than Miette (they both have actually won a performance during one of the episodes -> XY59 and XYZ8). Also, the interactions between Miette and Serena have practically centered around Ash (look at XY26, XY79, and XYZ12). However, they do face off in the master class so there is that.

7. Serena's journey is based on Ash: I know that now she has the goal of being Kalos queen, but Serena originally started her journey because of Ash. She wanted to see him again and travel with him. Even after her new goal of Kalos Queen, that still factors into her choices, as seen when she rejects the famous performer's (who looks like Hillary Clinton; I don't remember her name so she'll go by that) offer to train her in favor of continuing her travels with Ash (she remembers why started her journey).

8. XYZ Episode 22, buff said: So I was going to break this up into multiple points but this one episode just shows off so much for Amourshipping that I decided to include it all in one point. First off, in the beginning of the episode, while Ash is trying in the water, Serena gets really concerned about Ash getting sick (Well she got that right). Later, you have the scene between Serena and Ash where Serena thinks Ash grabs her hand and actually sounds like he's about the say "I love you" (we kinda knew he wasn't). But still, Serena's reaction suggests that she still really likes him. It's also really important that Serena is the one taking care of Ash while Bonnie and Clemont get medicine. It shows how much she cares for him. This is backed up even more when Jimmy arrives and Serena pretends to be Ash so that the real Ash can continue to rest up. No other character has done before. Which also leads me into one of my last points about this episode, Serena almost perfectly copies Ash's battling style. Almost every move replicates that of Ash, which shows how much she's learned from him. None of the other female companions have had a battling style similar to that of Ash. All in all, the episode was great for Amourshippers.

So that's about it for now. Let me just say that Serena is different from the other characters. Pokemon has never written a story like that of her and Ash. It's different and frankly it would almost seem like a backstab if Ash leaves Serena behind. But anyways, there may have been a few things that I missed so feel free to let me know. Also, as more episodes are launched, I can see myself potentially making a follow up to this. Until next time.

RandomIndividual

FinallyGainedEXP
I agree with all of this, especially in that it would feel wrong is Satoshi were to leave Serena behind. I mean, heck, if you want hints, Bulbapedia has a GIGANTIC list of shipping hints from each main ship (and I know Bulbapedia can be unreliable, but it's the best we've got and I know PokeShipping is extremely popular too, so each shipping could be biased regardless of anything). I was bored one day and decided to take screenshots of each main ship (so, Satoshi with whatever female companions), add in how many episodes they were all in for, then determine things from there. Ash and Misty had around 276 episodes together (I was simply counting all the episodes of Indigo League, Orange Islands, and Johto), while Satoshi and Serena had about 111 (at the time; I did this a long time ago). AmourShipping was substantially larger than PokeShipping; I mean, I knew it'd be big because Serena has a canon crush, but I didn't think it'd be THAT big.

Knowing that it'd be unfair to judge it solely based on the entire page (since Serena has a canonical crush and is shy, so it's much more obvious), I decided to compare only Ash's/Satoshi's hints and was surprised to see that Satoshi's hints for being attracted to Serena was an entire "page" bigger (I was measuring it by how many times I had to hit 'Page Down'). There's also the fact that SatoSere trends on Twitter, which the show actively watches, and important people in the Pokemon world have actually (re)tweeted AmourShipping before, which is kind of a big deal. The creators know that the show is popular and know that AmourShipping is popular. If they give no satisfying conclusion to AmourShipping, the more active shippers might lose faith and quit the show, and I'm sure they don't want that.

As for people saying that "He never blushes so he's clearly not in love with her," I don't think that's a good enough argument. I mean, for one, if the show was trying to build this up, but keep it a secret, it would be to make sure he doesn't blush, because blushing is generally a dead giveaway to attraction. Also, he's oblivious and dense when it comes to emotions like this, so it makes sense for him to not get flustered. He might feel a certain way for Serena, but not have enough understanding to be embarrassed about it. I mean, you see his nervousness when he asks her to join their party (as scratching the cheek is often a sign of sheepishness), and the show excludes him sometimes in certain scenes, usually showing just his reaction/response to something (during PokeLume voting in tripokalons, they sometimes show Citron and Eureka shouting "Serena!" first before going to Satoshi and him doing the same). There have also been other subtle things, like him stepping in front of Serena in the Luxio episode before calling out an attack. The show knows that AmourShipping makes people squeal, which is why we get so many teases.

I'm not saying that I think they'll for sure get together; I'm just saying that it's more likely than ever before.

Omegaz

Captain Amourica
I agree with all of this, especially in that it would feel wrong is Satoshi were to leave Serena behind. I mean, heck, if you want hints, Bulbapedia has a GIGANTIC list of shipping hints from each main ship (and I know Bulbapedia can be unreliable, but it's the best we've got and I know PokeShipping is extremely popular too, so each shipping could be biased regardless of anything). I was bored one day and decided to take screenshots of each main ship (so, Satoshi with whatever female companions), add in how many episodes they were all in for, then determine things from there. Ash and Misty had around 276 episodes together (I was simply counting all the episodes of Indigo League, Orange Islands, and Johto), while Satoshi and Serena had about 111 (at the time; I did this a long time ago). AmourShipping was substantially larger than PokeShipping; I mean, I knew it'd be big because Serena has a canon crush, but I didn't think it'd be THAT big.

Knowing that it'd be unfair to judge it solely based on the entire page (since Serena has a canonical crush and is shy, so it's much more obvious), I decided to compare only Ash's/Satoshi's hints and was surprised to see that Satoshi's hints for being attracted to Serena was an entire "page" bigger (I was measuring it by how many times I had to hit 'Page Down'). There's also the fact that SatoSere trends on Twitter, which the show actively watches, and important people in the Pokemon world have actually (re)tweeted AmourShipping before, which is kind of a big deal. The creators know that the show is popular and know that AmourShipping is popular. If they give no satisfying conclusion to AmourShipping, the more active shippers might lose faith and quit the show, and I'm sure they don't want that.

As for people saying that "He never blushes so he's clearly not in love with her," I don't think that's a good enough argument. I mean, for one, if the show was trying to build this up, but keep it a secret, it would be to make sure he doesn't blush, because blushing is generally a dead giveaway to attraction. Also, he's oblivious and dense when it comes to emotions like this, so it makes sense for him to not get flustered. He might feel a certain way for Serena, but not have enough understanding to be embarrassed about it. I mean, you see his nervousness when he asks her to join their party (as scratching the cheek is often a sign of sheepishness), and the show excludes him sometimes in certain scenes, usually showing just his reaction/response to something (during PokeLume voting in tripokalons, they sometimes show Citron and Eureka shouting "Serena!" first before going to Satoshi and him doing the same). There have also been other subtle things, like him stepping in front of Serena in the Luxio episode before calling out an attack. The show knows that AmourShipping makes people squeal, which is why we get so many teases.

I'm not saying that I think they'll for sure get together; I'm just saying that it's more likely than ever before.

I totally agree with you. Let's just pray that Pokemon doesn't screw this up lol.

MattySadler

Sorry to burst your bubble guy, but nah. She'll be ditched at the end of this series, or maybe the next series (less likely), and, bar a short cameo in the following series, she won't be seen again. In this series they've slightly "turned up" the romantic hints, and I literally mean only slightly, to appease the fans of "shipping" and that kind of thing. It isn't going to go any further than that. This isn't a romantic anime.

Personally I'm glad, I have no interest in "shipping" and 10 year olds romancing each other.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Sorry to burst your bubble guy, but nah. She'll be ditched at the end of this series, or maybe the next series (less likely), and, bar a short cameo in the following series, she won't be seen again. In this series they've slightly "turned up" the romantic hints, and I literally mean only slightly, to appease the fans of "shipping" and that kind of thing. It isn't going to go any further than that. This isn't a romantic anime.

Personally I'm glad, I have no interest in "shipping" and 10 year olds romancing each other.

Pretty much this imo. the only reason I see Serena staying on the show is by wearing Ash's clothes and taking his place

RandomIndividual

FinallyGainedEXP
@Omegaz

Please don't let what the one above said get you down or anything. No one actually knows what's going to happen and it's all opinion. No matter what the anime did or has done, nothing is set in stone for what's going to happen in the future, and I very much don't approve when people go around stating things like it's fact, because it's not. Unless someone replying is a writer for the show, everyone's statements are opinion and should be given as such even if people like to walk around on a high horse pretending that they know everything that's going to happen (not saying the one above is doing that; just saying that it's typical behavior I've seen; I won't comment on the other because they did have an "imo" in their reply).

You're honestly a great example of how to do things right; how, even in your forum topic, you clearly state that it's your opinion on why specific things are going to happen in the series. No one has the right to tell you that your opinion is wrong or that they know better than you because reasons. Unless the finale has been leaked, no one is able to say with 100% certainty and solid evidence that they know for sure how the anime is going to end.

So, keep holding to your beliefs and opinions. ^u^ It's what makes the anime all the more interesting to me.

And honestly, what makes me want this kind of ending all the more. I am so sick of know-it-alls who don't actually know it all, and simply tired of people who feel like they have to put others down for having a different opinion. I've actually been in situations like this before where people say that so-and-so is definitely going to happen like some snooty wise guy, and then it doesn't end up happening and they have to either eat their words or quickly edit their posts so not to look wrong.

I mean, even if your opinion doesn't end up being what the anime goes for, at least you won't be "wrong", because it was an opinion. You didn't say that they would definitely get together, you just said that they might. But to all the people who walk around stating that either AmourShipping is definitely going to be canonized or that it's not going to be canonized like it's fact, and the opposite ends up happening, they're going to be dead-wrong and look stupid in the process. Even to those who are right in what they say, it doesn't change the fact that they made a statement without having the script in their hands; without seeing the finale themselves, and I will continue to defend happenings like this until it stops.

RandomIndividual

FinallyGainedEXP
My opinion is that they are ten years old and therefore don't need a romantic connection..
Haha, hey, cool by me~

Kinda funny how the Serena and Satoshi from the Summer Camp flashback look and sound more ten than they do otherwise. Personally, I don't care what the show producers say about Satoshi's age; he's at least fourteen to sixteen to me. I have my own stuff about how that ties into what BW says, but that'd be getting off topic so I won't touch on that. XD

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Amour shipper, but it's not happening. Ash has been dense to love since Giselle.

My opinion is that they are ten years old and therefore don't need a romantic connection..

Even though he should be 16 by now seeing as it took a year of their journey to get somewhere in Johto, where he was supposed to be 11.

phanpycross

God-king
Amour shipper, but it's not happening. Ash has been dense to love since Giselle.

Even though he should be 16 by now seeing as it took a year of their journey to get somewhere in Johto, where he was supposed to be 11.

God dammit Dialga; why are you so bad at your job?

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I can't see Serena wanting to leave at the end really, except if her overall goal can't be completed at all in the next region,
which I don't see happening. It seems like they wouldn't tease the armourshippers this much in pokemon, and it'd make sense why they have more episodes for Serena focus.
Clemont and Eurueka don't need any development because they're going to leave, but if Serena stays, then there is reason to keep her going.

MattySadler

Please don't let what the one above said get you down or anything. No one actually knows what's going to happen and it's all opinion. No matter what the anime did or has done, nothing is set in stone for what's going to happen in the future, and I very much don't approve when people go around stating things like it's fact, because it's not. Unless someone replying is a writer for the show, everyone's statements are opinion and should be given as such even if people like to walk around on a high horse pretending that they know everything that's going to happen (not saying the one above is doing that; just saying that it's typical behavior I've seen; I won't comment on the other because they did have an "imo" in their reply).

What a load of rubbish.

This. It'd be a different case altogether if they were older, but at 10 it is just weird.

Red and Blue

Now that were in the last couple of episodes unless we get major hints from Ash, then I can't see this ship becoming canon or Serena staying.

Yashiro's offer would be a huge opportunity for Serena.

RandomIndividual

FinallyGainedEXP
I can't see Serena wanting to leave at the end really, except if her overall goal can't be completed at all in the next region,
which I don't see happening. It seems like they wouldn't tease the armourshippers this much in pokemon, and it'd make sense why they have more episodes for Serena focus.
Clemont and Eurueka don't need any development because they're going to leave, but if Serena stays, then there is reason to keep her going.
Yeah, honestly, I'd love to see her get into something that's... less biased, or at least something based less on pure appearance. I was also surprised to get Serena episodes so soon. Like, seriously, episode 22 Serena is pretty much everything I love about her character and I wish I saw it more.

Citron and Eureka... yeah, I think it goes without saying. I'm also sure the writers are aware of Serena's popularity and if they tell the main guy behind it, "Hey, Serena's a really popular character, do you think we could find a way to move her on into the next season?", I bet he could do it. Serena is very talented at a lot of things and I personally would love to see her expand into whatever Sun & Moon are gonna do. I understand that they'd have to give her something to do because they'd prefer to take her out with a bang rather than a whimper, not wanting to make her baggage, and I'm totally cool with that.

I also question if maybe that's a reason why they had her cut her hair and change her outfit. I mean, that's kind of a big deal because no other protagonist has done that in this show. Now that she looks like she does, you don't look at her and instantly go, "Hey, that's the girl from X and Y," because she looks different enough. Unless it was just them doing something for the hair-cut and clothes-changing gimmick of Kalos, it could be because they wanted her to advance to the next season, so they chose episode 60 to be the moment where she would change herself up and thus could move onto whatever the gen 7 season could be like, which is a clever move in my opinion if that is indeed the case. Always felt weird to me seeing Brock advance all the time until gen 5 when he was so... Kanto-y. XD

Now that were in the last couple of episodes unless we get major hints from Ash, then I can't see this ship becoming canon or Serena staying.
Yeah, we still have a lot of arcs to round up (Team Flare, eighth Gym Battle, the League, etc.), so we'll see where things go I suppose. I could potentially see Serena staying even if the ship doesn't become canon just because she might decide that following him and finding new interests is where her happiness lies, but maybe that's just because Brock stuck around for so long that I feel it could happen.

Yashiro's offer would be a huge opportunity for Serena.
Yashio's offer kind of scares me, to be honest. Not because "nuuu it could ruin amourshippang forevaaaah", but after seeing how Elle performs compared to how Serena performs, I don't really think a character like Yashio could teach Serena properly; she'd just become another Elle. I think Serena works best when she's inspired by the friends around her.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
XY coming to a close within the next few months and people still acting like Amour is going to develop past anything other than Serena staring longingly at Ash from a distance? God 2016 has been a **** year so far.

Last edited:

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
Magikarp damn it! I have to work, but I have a feeling this we'll be locked

"haracter whose love for Ash is cannon: So I thought that I'd start off with what I think may be one of the biggest reasons as to why it may happen. In every other Pokemon series, a PokeGirl's love for Ash has always been an assumption. People see tiny clues as reasons to assume someone like Misty, May, etc liked Ash. In XY and XYZ, Serena's love for Ash is made apparent by the writers. This was announced back in XY26 with the interactions between Serena and Miette. Since then, we've seen loads of other clues to suggest that it is very much a thing, such as Serena blushing whenever either Miette makes a comment about Ash or when Ash compliments her on something. Furthermore, we see that other characters in the anime have pointed out this fact. In XY89, Shauna makes a comment about this to which we see Serena clearly embarrassed about it. We also have seen twice that Bonnie knows about it as well (XY79 and XYZ22). "
It's not the first time the writers made a crush even on ash though. Yes they unnessaerily announced that Serena has a crush on ash, but they didn't have to do that with Anabel, who also had a clear crush on ash. And #\insertnamehereknows? Brock knew kenny's crush, but it didn't really work in kenny's favor now did it?

"2. Serena and Ash have a longer relationship than any other character: The whole origin to Serena's character is that she met Ash in a summer camp back in Pallet Town. It was at this camp where Ash helped Serena when she hurt her leg. No character has had that kind of relationship with Ash. Serena is the first character to have a backstory connected to Ash, which would make it ideal for the two of them to stay together. "
God I hate this reason. "So and so knew so and so longest so they should make babies!1!1!1!!' No. It shouldn't even matter anyway, as ash didn't remember her till she helped jog his memory. Yea, great history /rolls eyes

"3. Serena is the first PokeGirl to actually be invited by Ash to travel with him: Every other character (Misty, May, etc.) has forced their way into traveling with Ash. For example, Misty followed Ash because he destroyed her bike. Ash never asked her to travel with him. "
Wrongwrongwrongwrong! F**k all you amourshipper swap forgot about Iris.

"4. Serena is the only character to have received a gift from Ash: At the end of XY59, aka the "Date episode" (more on that later), Ash gives Serena the ribbon he received from the monorail company (I'm not sure if its a monorail or a train but whatever). No other character has actually received anything from Ash."
Dawn his apom. Better than some lowsy ribbon in which ash had no use for anyways.

"5. Serena and Ash go on a date?: I did say that I would get to this. XY59 drew a lot of attention for people because it seemed as though Ash and Serena were on a date (kinda). While it may not have been much, it is something different as we've never seen Ash and one of his female companions go someplace with no one else (people or pokemon). "
Again, f u amourshippers who keep ignoring iris's existence. I believe it was nimbasa city, where Iris & ash spent the whole day alone together & played sports, watched musicals and all kinds of different stuff. He also danced with misty, shopped with dawn, and entered an unofficial contest with May. All the while ash left his 'date' after figuring out what he wanted to get his Pokemon for no reason.

"6. Serena has a rival based solely on her love for Ash: Ok, I know a lot of you are going to disagree with me here, but I personally think that Miette is only relevant to this series for one thing; her interest in Ash. I mean when it comes to performances, it seems as though Shauna or Jesse would be much more of a rival to Serena than Miette (they both have actually won a performance during one of the episodes -> XY59 and XYZ8). Also, the interactions between Miette and Serena have practically centered around Ash (look at XY26, XY79, and XYZ12). However, they do face off in the master class so there is that."
Miette I'm sure is just a rival, not a love rival. She only 'flirts' or whatever with ash to get Serena moving.

"7. Serena's journey is based on Ash: I know that now she has the goal of being Kalos queen, but Serena originally started her journey because of Ash. She wanted to see him again and travel with him. Even after her new goal of Kalos Queen, that still factors into her choices, as seen when she rejects the famous performer's (who looks like Hillary Clinton; I don't remember her name so she'll go by that) offer to train her in favor of continuing her travels with Ash (she remembers why started her journey). "

And that just makes her sad. Word of advice for everyone: don't do something for a person you like. Do it for YOURSELF.

"8. XYZ Episode 22, buff said: So I was going to break this up into multiple points but this one episode just shows off so much for Amour Shipping that I decided to include it all in one point. First off, in the beginning of the episode, while Ash is trying in the water, Serena gets really concerned about Ash getting sick (Well she got that right). Later, you have the scene between Serena and Ash where Serena thinks Ash grabs her hand and actually sounds like he's about the say "I love you" (we kinda knew he wasn't). But still, Serena's reaction suggests that she still really likes him. It's also really important that Serena is the one taking care of Ash while Bonnie and Clemont get medicine. It shows how much she cares for him. This is backed up even more when Jimmy arrives and Serena pretends to be Ash so that the real Ash can continue to rest up. No other character has done before. Which also leads me into one of my last points about this episode, Serena almost perfectly copies Ash's battling style. Almost every move replicates that of Ash, which shows how much she's learned from him. None of the other female companions have had a battling style similar to that of Ash. All in all, the episode was great for Amourshippers. "
Agh... Pretending this episode downy exsist is better than pretending Iris doesn't exsist. It was like watching an armature fanfiction. If they make amourshipping happen & say they developed enough cuz of c**p like what happened in that sick episode, I might as well call all the writers jk rolling(spelling?). It'd be as sloppy as harry&ginny & hermione&ron.

And yea other pokegirls had a battle style similar too ash's. May lost a contest once, and it was explained she lost cause her style was too much like ash's, which does not help her much in contest. Dawn & ash also inter-exchanged move combos, and both ash & dawn did not mind.
Sorry if I seem rude. So tired of amourshippers saying these things. If you want to like/believe in amourshipping, that is fine. I personally can't really come to like it, but would accept it if they choose to make it happen.

Last edited:

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
XY coming to a close within the next few months and people still acting like Amour is going to develop past anything other than Serena staring longingly at Ash from a distance? God 2016 has been a **** year so far.

Serena won't be crushing on Ash anymore, she'll become Ash in the flesh

tommytoe

These reasons are really stretching IMO. Most of them could be applied to previous traveling companions and look how that turned out. Also, has Ash every shown any romantic interest in Serana? Call me crazy but I don't think giving her a hanky to bandage her injured knee at summer camp (which he promptly forgot about until Serana reminded him) and giving her a ribbon he didn't need qualify. I don't think anyone is denying Serana has a crush on Ash, the problem is Ash doesn't reciprocate her feelings. I'm not trying to a killjoy here but I don't see any reason to think Amourshipping is going to end any differently that Pokeshipping or any of the other Ash/female companion "romances". If it does, I'll gladly eat my words but I'd be very surprised if it happens.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
I also question if maybe that's a reason why they had her cut her hair and change her outfit. I mean, that's kind of a big deal because no other protagonist has done that in this show. Now that she looks like she does, you don't look at her and instantly go, "Hey, that's the girl from X and Y,"

Yes I do, because Y got the exact same haircut in Pokemon Adventures.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/2/29/Y_second_hairstyle_Adventures.png

With Y doing the same, its clear the haircut was meant as an indirect reference to Boutique character customization, and nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.