• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SpongeBob SquarePants has its 10th Anniversary

Rex Kamex

May 1, 1999 was when they first showed a half hour's worth of episodes as a sneak peak, but July 17, 1999 was the official premiere date.

The American VH1 (don't know about other countries and whatnot) is airing a documentary of Spongebob Tuesday the 14th at 9:00PM.

There's also a marathon coming this week called The Ultimate SpongeBob Bash, and you can vote for your favorite SpongeBob episodes online. The marathon starts July 17th. While I haven't seen a commercial for the marathon mention that the marathon's for the 10th anniversary, the title of the webpage mentions that it's the 10th anniversary.

Personally, I think the show went downhill after, or maybe even ever since, the movie, but... this is still cool for me since I remember when they were airing commercials for SpongeBob's premiere. It's the oldest Nicktoons show that still has new episodes playing.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Is this a sign that SpongeBob is going to end?

It's a shame I don't have cable so I can watch this, but I'll be a good fan by voting. I have a feeling a first season episode will be the number one episode, but we'll see.

I think the show stopped being funny after Stephen Hillenburg stepped down as director and took his ideas with him. Since then, only a few have been witty enough I enjoy them all the way through. Unfortunately, I think they've been making the newer episodes too quick and short on a storyline.

At least SpongeBob has had a good legacy.

KingRaichu

Hail to da king baby
It should have ended after the first movie...all the episodes after that seemed unnecesarry...and the new ones are disturbing at best and pathetic at least...

Dattebayo

Banned
At least the show is celebrating its 10th anniversary, hope it redeems itself after a few years of mediocre episodes ever since the movie came out. Sadly, I'm predicting this will be the last time we'll ever see Spongebob again after the celebration's over.

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Even after the movie, I still watched SpongeBob. And I still found it enjoyable to watch. Though... some episodes just dont feel appealing. Like "Ghost Host" and "All That Glitters" seem bad-filler worthy.

I will check this Anniversary out, and watch all 10 of those new episodes (yeah, wastining my time here). The "SpongeBob Round Pants" caught me. :p

Maybe at the end of this Anniversary, they'll give a preview for the new movie in November.

miu miu

I hope they'll still make more spongebob episodes after the 10 year anniversary, I use to love that show :)

Tyrannotaur

Tyranitar Trainer
I don't usually like to post negativity (negativity breeds negativity, I post something negative and then you are offended and post something negative right back... Vicious cycle) but I really dislike this show.
This show is the reason I believe Nickelodeon went downhill. It also helped bring about the end of Cartoon Network, by them trying to make something to compete with Sponge Bob and making Chowder. I never got into Sponge Bob. It just seems too nonsensical for me. Yes I understand it is a kids Cartoon show. But it is drastically different from what I used to watch as a kid.
I do love the theme song though. Mainly cause I like Pirates... You are a pirate!

Anyway, I don't mean to offend people who like it. Like what you want. I'm not gonna stop you. That's cool it has been around for 10 years though. Time really does fly.

natopotato22

Cellar Door
I still enjoy some of the episodes.
I don't remember which ones came after the movie if I watch re-runs but they're still somewhat entertaining and I"m going to watch the Anniversary.
I quote spongebob a lot 8D

I used to love the older episodes. Especially "Graveyard Shift", "The Algea's Always Greener", "Chocolate With Nuts", "Snowball Efect" and "The Camping Episode". But, none of the more recent ones appealed to me. :/ I just can't stand watching them anymore.

I might watch this celebration, though. I'm just curious to see how it plays out. :p

Erienne

Anime high :D
Even after the movie, I still watched SpongeBob. And I still found it enjoyable to watch. Though... some episodes just dont feel appealing. Like "Ghost Host" and "All That Glitters" seem bad-filler worthy.

I will check this Anniversary out, and watch all 10 of those new episodes (yeah, wastining my time here). The "SpongeBob Round Pants" caught me. :p

Maybe at the end of this Anniversary, they'll give a preview for the new movie in November.

I haven't watched it since the movie. It went from mildly amusing to annoying-as-hell after it.

Rex Kamex

Many people have different opinions for when SpongeBob went downhill. Some think it happened during/after the movie, some think during Season 3 (the season before the movie), some think Season 4 but then it got better, some think the show never went downhill, some think the show was always downhill, and some think... other.

Is this a sign that SpongeBob is going to end?

No.

I think the show stopped being funny after Stephen Hillenburg stepped down as director and took his ideas with him. Since then, only a few have been witty enough I enjoy them all the way through. Unfortunately, I think they've been making the newer episodes too quick and short on a storyline.

At least SpongeBob has had a good legacy.

Yeah. I think Rugrats is the only other Nicktoon that's lasted so long with new episodes airing. Then All Grown Up came and SpongeBob gained a lot of popularity. Wonder what'll be the next SpongeBob? Although we're probably not going to see it coming ahead of time... They called Catscratch the next big Nicktoon, and look what happened to that...

Dattebayo said:
At least the show is celebrating its 10th anniversary, hope it redeems itself after a few years of mediocre episodes ever since the movie came out. Sadly, I'm predicting this will be the last time we'll ever see Spongebob again after the celebration's over.

Also no, I'm afraid- actually, I don't even think they'll even tell kids when they make their last SpongeBob episodes.

There'll probably be another marathon for the special coming in November.

Tyrannotaur said:
I don't usually like to post negativity (negativity breeds negativity, I post something negative and then you are offended and post something negative right back... Vicious cycle) but I really dislike this show.
This show is the reason I believe Nickelodeon went downhill.

Actually, you're not the only one I've heard say that. (It's kinda ironic. SpongeBob's first season's probably the last remaining bit of Old Nick, IMO.)

It also helped bring about the end of Cartoon Network, by them trying to make something to compete with Sponge Bob and making Chowder. I never got into Sponge Bob. It just seems too nonsensical for me. Yes I understand it is a kids Cartoon show. But it is drastically different from what I used to watch as a kid.

When I first saw commercials for SpongeBob, I thought it'd be an okay show (one scene in a sneak peek of an episode made me smile, though). When I watched it, I thought it was good, though. The thing I like about most of the pre-movie episodes is that to me it wasn't just some show about an immature sponge and his dumb best friend. There was more thought put into the show than one would expect from a show about a talking sponge.

To me, generally speaking, the movie and the episodes that came episode made SpongeBob and Patrick in particular look exactly the way, IMO, haters of SpongeBob pictured them to be. To me the series basically turned into what I originally praised it for not being.

Not trying to make you like the series, just pointing that out.

Anyway, I don't mean to offend people who like it. Like what you want. I'm not gonna stop you. That's cool it has been around for 10 years though. Time really does fly.

And I (and others) won't stop you from not liking SpongeBob. =)

Last edited:

glowing_light010

•chℓoε•
Personally, I think the show went downhill after, or maybe even ever since, the movie, but... this is still cool for me since I remember when they were airing commercials for SpongeBob's premiere. It's the oldest Nicktoons show that still has new episodes playing.

I Agree. I used to love the show & I watched it ALL the time. But, after the movie, the episodes started getting less funny. So I only watch the old ones now.

PokemonHero

I can see the future
God, I remember the big deal they made leading up to the Rugrats 10th anniversary. It doesn't seem like Nick is doing the same here, which is unfortunate.

I remember watching the first episodes of SpongeBob SquarePants up at my grandparent's house in Cumberland. It's amazing to now see that it is still around after all these years. I do think that the series went downhill after the movie, but it still has a few good episodes every once in a while.

It will be a shame to see it go, because it is one of the last remaining connections to my childhood. All the cartoons now are just crap.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Spongebob is the only awesome cartoon show left.
the new ones aren't as good as the old ones for sure.

If Nick takes this show away, i'll scream.

Pikachu_luver

♪ Blue Bird ♪
I used to love this show a lot. But all these new episodes are turning the show bad. They only have a few new episodes that were good.