• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Spooky Cup

BugCatcher6

Hello forum folks.

I took some time away from Pokémon and just saw the Spooky Cup event today and it has me wanting to get back into battling. I had fun in the Pikachu Cup and I am hoping that as a forum we could come up with a fun competitive team for the Spooky Cup.

I realize people will keep some tactics to themselves, but I do hope we can share some ideas. I worked with a few people on the Pikachu Cup and I ranked 677 out of 15,266 and my son ranked 176 out of 1,986.

Moving on, for those that don't know about the Spooky Cup,

Sign-Up Period
Thursday, October 15, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Thursday, October 22, 2015, at 23:59 UTC
• You must sign up during this period in order to be able to participate in the competition.
• You may sign up for the competition once per game registered to your PGL account.

Competition Period
Friday, October 23, 2015, at 00:00 UTC through Sunday, October 25, 2015, at 23:59 UTC

Participation Gift
Qualified participants will receive 10 Rare Candies. To qualify, players must earn a place in the rankings by completing at least three battles.

• Rattata
  • Raticate
  • Ekans
  • Arbok
  • Pikachu
  • Zubat
  • Golbat
  • Crobat
  • Paras
  • Parasect
  • Grimer
  • Muk
  • Gastly
  • Haunter
  • Gengar
  • Cubone
  • Marowak
  • Koffin
  • Weezing
  • Tangela
  • Tangrowth
  • Mr. Mime
  • Ditto
  • Kabuto
  • Kabutops
  • Hoothoot
  • Noctowl
  • Spinarak
  • Ariados
  • Umbreon
  • Murkrow
  • Honchkrow
  • Misdreavus
  • Mismagius
  • Unown
  • Gligar
  • Gliscor
  • Granbull
  • Sneasel
  • Weavile
  • Houndour
  • Houndoom
  • Mightyena
  • Dustox
  • Shiftry
  • Shedinja
  • Whismur
  • Loudred
  • Exploud
  • Sableye
  • Mawile
  • Gulpin
  • Swalot
  • Carvanha
  • Sharpedo
  • Cacnea
  • Caturne
  • Seviper
  • Lunatone
  • Baltoy
  • Claydol
  • Shuppet
  • Banette
  • Duskull
  • Dusclops
  • Dusknoir
  • Absol
  • Snorunt
  • Glalie
  • Froslass
  • Drifloon
  • Drifblim
  • Stunky
  • Stuntank
  • Spiritomb
  • Skorupi
  • Drapion
  • Croagunk
  • Toxicroak
  • Rotom
  • Purrloin
  • Liepard
  • Woobat
  • Swoobat
  • Venipede
  • Whirlipede
  • Scolipede
  • Basculin
  • Krokorok
  • Krookodile
  • Sigilyph
  • Yamask
  • Cofagrigus
  • Garbodor
  • Zorua
  • Zoroark
  • Gothita
  • Gothorita
  • Gothitelle
  • Frillish
  • Jellicent
  • Joltik
  • Galvantula
  • Elgyem
  • Beheeyem
  • Litwick
  • Lampert
  • Chandelure
  • Golurk
  • Zweilous
  • Hydreigon
  • Volcarona
  • Espurr
  • Meowstic
  • Honedge
  • Doublade
  • Aegislash
  • Malamar
  • Phantump
  • Trevenant
  • Pumpaboo
  • Gourgeist
  • Noibat
  • Noivern

For me I was hoping to get to play around more with a Trick Room team, but I am thinking that will be a heavily scouted tactic.

I think Rage Powder Volcarona will help a lot of TR setters. Malamar should be a wrecking ball in TR.

Rio!

Composer
I was plan on going with a TR team but I figured it would be somewhat common, so I just went with a couple of power-houses that are up there as far as Speed and Sp/Attack are concerned. Rage Powder/Flame Body Volcarona was something I had actually planned on using as well once remembered that was in its move-pool. Knock-Off has been pretty crucial multiple times, even with the likes of Rotom. Oddly enough I have yet to come across Malamar; I was going to bring an Intimidate Krookodile but didn't since I was a little wary of Contrary. xD

I'm also looking forward to the next Scrappy Skirmish in a few weeks. 8D

Otjenyn

ROADRUNNER
I havnt seen a malamar either so far and not a single trickroom team.
I am encountering a lot of switcheroo/ trick so far. Also a few ditto which are to my surprise quite hard to battle. Now 8 wins 3 lost.
One thanks to stupid Noivern's draco meteor missing twice in a row, getting quashed in my next turn roost to heal.

Last edited:

Mega Typhlosion

I've finished today with a score of 16-9. Not bad, but not good either as I was really unlucky in some losses and I was pretty stupid in others. Besides, one of them is false because the system found an opponent as I was shutting down and it counted as a loss. I feel like I should be around 20-5, but well, it's part of the game.

So far, I haven't found Kabutops yet, which brings me back to the theory that Showdown is lame for training. I ended up EVing my Volcarona to survive Kabutops and in the end, nobody has one.

I've found gimmick teams, Trick Room teams, and very standard teams. Support Gengar is being a pain for me to deal with thanks to Focus Sash, but other than that I'm doing okay against most teams.
I have a Rage Powder Parasect but I already regret it... I only picked it once, and it went bad because I stupidly predicted a Quiver Dance and tried to Spore a Volcarona only to eat a Heat Wave and get OHKOed...
Should have gone with Wide Guard Aegislash instead, at least would offer me some more offensive options.

Last edited:

Mega Typhlosion

Almost everything is ghost, fairy or dark, so its normal sets wouldn't work that well.

Actually there are only three fairy-types and those are Granbull, Mr.Mime and Mawile, not exactly world beaters. The biggest issue with Malamar is Volcarona, which is everywhere and hits on its 4x Bug weakness.
However, I've run into at least 4 of them, and some on Trick Room teams. It can be used against Intimidate and Superpower hits things like Hydreigon and Krookodile, so it is pretty viable on this.

Well, after two defeats in a row, I decided to end my participation on this competition. I ended up with 43 battles, 28 wins and 15 losses, with a rating of 1643. Overall it was good, but I think I made a lot of mistakes in some matches and I feel that I should have done better, and should have got at least 30-35 wins.

Here's a screenshot of my Battle Box.
Spooky_Cup_Team_zpsioh9gmzw.png

Overall thoughts on my team's performance

- Crobat, Volcarona, Krookodile and Rotom-M formed my main core. These 4 were able to dismantle the majority of the challenges that my opponents posed. Overall, this core of 4 worked pretty well under Tailwind, so I ended up leading with Crobat 95% of the time to set it up, usually alongside Krookodile to Intimidate opposing Weaviles and Crobats.

- I'm really happy for picking Brave Bird on Crobat over Super Fang, it really got me some neat KOes and was a very good source of damage. Focus Sash was useful but I should have considered Sharp Beak for some occasions.

- Volcarona was my late game sweeper. I'm still unsure if I should have kept Heat Wave, but Fiery Dance worked just fine. Charti Berry was great but not as decisive as I thought it would be.

- Rotom-M was amazing. It shut down the ever present Rotom-W, and was able to OHKO even the bulkiest of forms. The EV spread also allowed it to survive a Heat Wave from Volcarona, although that was only handy once.

- Parasect was terrible. I used it twice, and although it helped dismantle a Trick Room team, it was against a pretty weak team that had 6 Ghost-types, so that doesn't even count. It was a wasted spot and I really should have taken Aegislash for the Steel coverage against Granbull and to have a more useful Wide Guard supporter.

- Hydreigon with Specs was a bad choice. I was often hindered by its Speed. I should have gone with a Scarf to get some surprise KOes, because Specs and no Protect hindered my options.

- I had some issues with Gengar on Saturday, and my team is obviously flawed, but it worked pretty well in almost every battle and most of the matches went into details or random factors, so I'm pretty happy with the general result. My main objective was to reach 1600 rating, so I did well for my expectations.

Last edited:

Mr.FusRoDah

During the Spooky cup, I ran a team of Zoroark with a rowap as a Toxi-stall troll with 3IV (One in Spec. Atk) and Night Daze, a shiny average Gourgeist with 31 in def. and speed and trick/choice scarf, a Hydreigon with a focus sash, 4IV shiny Aegislash with a Lax Incense for cloak and dagger, a 3IV Analytic Beheeyem holding a Weakness policy, and a Toxic-Infestation 2IV Garbodor holding a Scope Lens for Gunk Shot Sniping and Drain Punching overkill. Got 11 wins and 17 losses, with many of those losses being a Deus Ex Machina moment for my opponents. Wasn't bad.