• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SPP Atheist Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsiUmbreon

cold_katanagirl said:
Exactly! ^^

But I think in the Roman Catholic... belief... system... thing, you can go to Purgatory, a temporary punishment, then go on to Heaven. But I think you stay there a really long time, like 500 years or something like that.

Anyway though, I still don't see how that's a punishment either, because it's not like you can apply your teachings in Heaven since you become an angel and it's sin free... It just seems like you go there to get tortured. o.0;
God created everything... So he created evil.

Some say God KNOWS what's going to happen, but if he knows what's going to happen, then why not prevent it? It's like he's doing this stuff on purpose...

And isn't envy a sin? Doesn't he even say "I'm a jealous God"?

I don't understand how a loving God could just let all of the bad things in the world happen and still love us so. It's like a car burning on fire and you just sit there and let them burn. o.0;

Exodus 20:5 said:
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
YES it does clearly state that God is jealous.

Lemurian

Lady Myuu's Opposite
cold_katanagirl said:
I don't understand how a loving God could just let all of the bad things in the world happen and still love us so. It's like a car burning on fire and you just sit there and let them burn. o.0;

Well, read the Angels and Demons? There, there was a good answer to that.

Pope: Do you have kids?

Security-guy: No, not yet.

Pope: If you had, would you love him?

Security-guy: Yes, of course!

Pope: Wouldn't you still let him roller-scate when he grew up?

Security-guy ( from here on called S-g ): Yes, I would.

Pope: And if he crashed or wounded himself after playing in a dangerous place?

S-g: I would care for him and hope that he learned of his mistakes.

Pope: Excactly.

PsiUmbreon

Lemurian said:
Well, read the Angels and Demons? There, there was a good answer to that.

Pope: Do you have kids?

Security-guy: No, not yet.

Pope: If you had, would you love him?

Security-guy: Yes, of course!

Pope: Wouldn't you still let him roller-scate when he grew up?

Security-guy ( from here on called S-g ): Yes, I would.

Pope: And if he crashed or wounded himself after playing in a dangerous place?

S-g: I would care for him and hope that he learned of his mistakes.

Pope: Excactly.
Ok... so that doesn't explain why God would even create danger/death/misery/destruction in the first place

cold_katanagirl

Link Master
I read Angels & Demons... Not for a really long time though.

It's not like parents have the power to do much though. God has the power to do anything... supposedly.

Lemurian

Lady Myuu's Opposite
I'm going a bit off the topic here, but I found a really good site with PsiUmbreon's help that contain very many...interesting quotes. These are all from the bible.

bible said:
29:7 And gave for the service of the house of God of gold five thousand talents and ten thousand drams, and of silver ten thousand talents, and of brass eighteen thousand talents, and one hundred thousand talents of iron.

Well, the darics or drams were named after a king who lived 500 years...LATER, King Darius.

Plus the numerous writings about a flat earth.

Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;

Ezekiel 7:2 Also, thou son of man, thus saith the Lord GOD unto the land of Israel; An end, the end is come upon the four corners of the land.

Isaiah 40:22 It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:

Skrusti

Yeah, if there really is an allmighty being who will condemn us to said "Hell," I'll see you guys there o_O Ah well, at least we'll be near people who we can relate with. Just don't give me Hitler's punishment....(From the movie: Little Nicky. I don't like pineapples...)

I got in a huge fight with a Christian friend of mine. I brought up all these points you people have kindly given me (not that I couldn't come up with my own, these are just alot more thought out :p) The (insert desired expletive here) actually told me I was the Devil in disguise and said I wouldn't turn him from God's allmighty faith oo; I felt pretty bad for him lol. Ah well, just shows you how bad people are getting nowadays.

And I agree, religion should just be done away with. Its their fault that the world is in such a shitty state. If everyone just worried about themselves, and not about whether we will face eternal damnation, then I think the world will be much better off.

And to the whole "if you feel sorry for your sins, you shall be forgiven!" thing, I say this.

Ok, you're saying as long as I'm sorry, I will be "accepted" into Heaven? Fine, I'll just be the meanest son of a bitch you ever did see. I'll steal, murder, have underage sex, masturbate, covet my neighbor's belongings, be slothful, commit sodomy, etc. And when I'm on my deathbed, apologize for it all and be accepted into Heaven. Take that Christian beliefs :p

Note: The above sentence does not reflect my real views and opinions. I mean, seriously, I would never apologize for doing all that. What am I? A wimp? :p

In all seriousness, I wouldn't do most of those things. Not my fault I'm friggen slothful, is it?

Vic Rattlehead

I find it highly amusing that Christians praise the Lord for fortune, but don't blame God for misfortune. He created Lucifer knowing that he would fall, and bring "Evil." Yet still excuse God the burden of creating Evil. What folly and tedium to send down his supposed son and have him crucified. Which brings up another question, for what did Jesus die for? To save us from Hell? I find it highly disturbing that prior to Jesus's death that Humans would go to Hell regardless. And that we would be saved only with the burden of another one's sacrifice.

Now Psi brings up a good point-punishment. Not only is it an oxymoron, but eternal Hell is also very, very merciless. No, entirely merciless. I find it unpromising that some kind of behemoth monster God would place a number of strikes on a Human's soul. 3 strikes you're out. Go to Hell.

I don't consider morality to be an argument against the Bible, considering how morality is subjective. But to be honest, if the Bible is true, I find it's God to be highly disgusting and not moral. I'm speaking for humanity. Not to mention this God is spontanoeus. No. You couldn't expect anything of an omnipotent being. Not even salvation or damnation.

Not to metnion, omnipotency itself is possible.

I'm not very interested or perhaps

Lemurian

Lady Myuu's Opposite
Vic Rattlehead said:
I don't consider morality to be an argument against the Bible, considering how morality is subjective. But to be honest, if the Bible is true, I find it's God to be highly disgusting and not moral. I'm speaking for humanity. Not to mention this God is spontanoeus. No. You couldn't expect anything of an omnipotent being. Not even salvation or damnation.

If the bible was true, the earth would stand still, the moon shine on its own, the earth would be flat and the forests would kill people and people would be over ten feet tall.

Vic Rattlehead

Someday Christianity will be internationally accepted as mythology. It's really too bad that it isn't half as interesting as Greek mythology and Egyptian mythology is, or rather any other mythology for that matter.

Lemurian

Lady Myuu's Opposite
All mythology ( like the Egyptian and Greek like you mentioned ) is really stories about the gods. The nordic, Roman, the Greek, the Egyptian, the Japanese...all mythology is just God-stories! Like the Greek mythology where Athene sprung out of her father's head and made olive-trees grow out of rock, the nordic where the raidings of the God Thor made thunder each time he travelled over the heaven and the rainbow was really a bridge to AAsgard. It's all god-stories! And it's true, in a couple of thousends, maybe only hundreds, all ( Christianity, Buddhism, Islam ) will be myths about ancient gods.

Uh guys, I just want to bring something up.

Under No Circumstances Is The Bashing Of ANY Religion Allowed

You can refute religion, however, do not resort to simple bashing such as "Christianity is Stupid" or "Islam is a joke" because, the people that follow these practises are still humans and it is Their Choice.

We will be bashed for being atheist by other religions, for example we are all ''going to hell'' according to Christians. However, I implore each and every member of this club to not stoop that low. Atheism is about upholding Ideals and understanding the world, not just proving religion wrong.

This all seems a little 'wtf' coming from myself, seeing as how I like to flame a lot of members, however this is a bigger thing than simple forum feuds. So, take this into account wherever you post and discuss religion, apply it to your own lives too.

-Josh

Forgotten Member

Used to be Aipom
I suppose I'll join... I'm an atheist, which should be no surprise if you've seen me around the debate forum.

Just curious, DMM, is your post on not bashing in response to any post here? Or something elsewhere? Or did you not post it as a reply to anything?

Just don't bash religion. It isn't really the best thing to do and shows how much of an idiot you can be. Refute it all you want, but don't bash it.

And I'm glad you made your way here aipom.

Forgotten Member

Used to be Aipom
-Dragon Master Mog- said:
Just don't bash religion. It isn't really the best thing to do and shows how much of an idiot you can be. Refute it all you want, but don't bash it.
I was just wondering if your post had to do with to the posts about Christianity becoming accepted as mythology... Since unfortunately it can be hard to draw the line with some things like that, and differentiate between what's an acceptable opinion to express and what's flaming.

And I'm glad you made your way here aipom.
Thanks :). Never thought I'd be joining a club on SPPf, lol.

yeah I know what you mean, the line is fine XD But really, in fact, I'll list some of the basic criteria from what I see as bashing,

-"Christianity is stupid"
-Refutation without any given backup
-Simply saying, God doesn't exist and your stupid for beleiving so.

Just stuff like that, I'm sure most people will know what is bashing and what is arguing though. Stating it is/was mythology isn't really bashing as such because it's an opinionated gesture, I think the easiest way to say this is, if you think it's bashing, it probably is.

And same here actually, I've never seen myself joining one, but, Atheist Alliance, what can one expect of me? XD

Forgotten Member

Used to be Aipom
yeah I know what you mean, the line is fine XD But really, in fact, I'll list some of the basic criteria from what I see as bashing,

-"Christianity is stupid"
-Refutation without any given backup
-Simply saying, God doesn't exist and your stupid for beleiving so.

Just stuff like that, I'm sure most people will know what is bashing and what is arguing though. Stating it is/was mythology isn't really bashing as such because it's an opinionated gesture, I think the easiest way to say this is, if you think it's bashing, it probably is.
Well, personally I don't think that the subject of christianity becoming mythology should be considered bashing at all, but some people might consider it that. I suppose with the differences in opinion that sort of thing would be impossible to avoid... I would just define bashing as anything that seems to have the intent of insulting others, as opposed to having an intelligent debate/discussion.

And same here actually, I've never seen myself joining one, but, Atheist Alliance, what can one expect of me? XD
Yeah, same here... I couldn't see myself in most clubs, but an atheist club with intelligent people in it works for me :).

Finally! A club worthy of posting in!

I am and have been for about two years, an atheist. I guess I never really understood Christianity, especially the concept of worship. Until recently I attended Sunday school and youth group. Though no one likely realized I was an atheist. There were cupcakes. Big motivator. I'm glad my parents chose a nice friendly Presbyterian church. I liked it, but the people did not answer my questions. Why had God never talked to me? Why wasn't I able to feel the Holy Spirit? Why hadn't God intervened? No answer. And it slowly dawned on me. There couldn't possibly be an all-powerful God. So many impossibilities arise when you take the existence of a deity as given. Another thing that troubled me is how few Christians walked the walk. Just believe and you are saved, we're told. How many of these people have read the bible. Most Christians seldom read the Bible. According to Genesis, knowledge is sin. If we were given reason, how is it a crime to try to learn what we can about the world we live in. It is the reasonable thing to do. A thing that irk me is how these evangelicals and fundamentalists are so self-righteous. They desire to impose their will upon others. They have launched concerted attacks on education and media. They undermine democracy.
One thing that's certain, religion is inherently violent and self-destructive. Take the Crusades. They are an example of the atrocities religion inspires. Remember the Confederacy believed it was their god-given right to own slaves. Columbus slew millions of natives because they weren't Christians. History shows just how hainus religion is. So, can I join?

Infinite Master Sceptile, you are of course more than welcome, and in response to the things there about slavery, they were actually correct. According to the bible it is their god-given right.
More Info here
Don't let the fact it is in lego put you off it's authenticity.

The people that would consider it bashing are christians themselves. Really, it is an idea to say, ''look, I'm not trying to offend your religion here but...'' so then you at least have some form of leverage over an excuse. Not that that is the right thing, but go with it anyway :p

cold_katanagirl

Link Master
Why had God never talked to me? Why wasn't I able to feel the Holy Spirit? Why hadn't God intervened? No answer.
Same thing happened to me. I would just walk in school and my friends would be like "I had a conversation with God last night, it was awesome!" and I'm just like WTF I've never talked to him. <_<

I thought I read in the Bible once during a school trip to D.C. that you were allowed to have slaves, or a certain group could have slaves, or something like that... I tried telling people, but they thought I was insane. o.0;

Forgotten Member

Used to be Aipom
More Info here
Don't let the fact it is in lego put you off it's authenticity.
LMAO, that site is awesome. So many hilarious pictures and so much lego sex ;).

The people that would consider it bashing are christians themselves. Really, it is an idea to say, ''look, I'm not trying to offend your religion here but...'' so then you at least have some form of leverage over an excuse. Not that that is the right thing, but go with it anyway :p
Yeah, that was my point... But I guess there's really nothing you can do if people find your opinion offensive, if you've already voiced it in a calm and appropriate way.

Status
Not open for further replies.