• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

SPP Atheist Alliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemurian

Lady Myuu's Opposite
There are many bad things that have happened becauseof religion that might make some people turn away from both Christianity and Islam ( Hindu and Buddhism hasn't done anything wrong right now ). The Crusaders, Inkvisision and other things are done in the name of God. My question is then: If God existed, would he let these actions go on? Isn't he supposed to make everyone love eachother? Why would he let these things happen in his name and honour?

You'd get the good old fashioned free will arguement in that scenario. However is it really free?

God gave us free will and expects us to beleive in him.
If we don't beleive in him it is said we go to hell.
However it's our choice to beleive in him?

In a different context,

Your girlfriend holds a gun to your head and asks for your car keys.
If you don't give her the car keys she will shoot you.
But it's your choice whether or not to give her the car keys.

o.o
Some Choice!
And I stol that from PsiUmbreon, because I thought it was a good way to express the point :p So Thanks to Psi.

Lemurian

Lady Myuu's Opposite
You and PsiUmbreon are right. It's completely the same posisition. Do and lose, do not and be punished. Your choice...

S

Shadow Siren

Can I join? I don't believe in god but i fully respect those who do.

Shigaiko

apocalypse please
Skrusti said:
What do you think of people who are the epitome of their Religion? The hardcore religous people who even the normal ones don't like. Can be any religion.
If there was ever a group of people who annoy me the most, it would definately be the hardcore religious people. I'm fine with them being religious and all, but when they constantly blabber on about this God-worshipping stuff and lecture me about how I should follow the path of religion, I'm tempted to stammer out of the room. It never annoyed me so much up until lately though. o_o;

*too tired to bother with other questions atm*

Originally Posted by Skrusti
What do you think of people who are the epitome of their Religion? The hardcore religous people who even the normal ones don't like. Can be any religion

That they're a sure lost cause, which is a shame. however it is fundie brainwashing. it is a shame though, however, it is said that the birlliant minds will populate earth, and anyone who gives into propaganda to an extent where they become bigots certainly isn't brilliant.

Vic Rattlehead

Skrusti said:
What do you think of people who are the epitome of their Religion? The hardcore religous people who even the normal ones don't like. Can be any religion.

I'm fine with their submission to the fairy tales, but their preaching and warnings are utterly annoying. Which is why I despise church. If they are happy with their religion, that's fine. What disappoints me are the people who are unhappy or not in agreement with their religion yet continue to believe it, even with the lack of evidence.

charizard trainer #1

Ready to lose???
Lemurian said:
If the bible was true, the earth would stand still, the moon shine on its own, the earth would be flat and the forests would kill people and people would be over ten feet tall.

Don't forget that the Earth would stop rotating around its axis for 16 days (see genesis about Noah or something).

Bloody, it was religion in the first place that created segredation- race, religion (hes muslim ah kill him) and sexism. The Bible hundreds of years ago preached about men being better than women (continues still), black and Asians being the creation of the devil, etc. Now the Bible said anyone can go to heaven. The Bible just keeps changing what it says.

Someday Christianity will be internationally accepted as mythology. It's really too bad that it isn't half as interesting as Greek mythology and Egyptian mythology is, or rather any other mythology for that matter.

Thats exactly what happened to the Ancient Greek religion, Egytian religion, etc. Science will eventually prove Christianity wrong just like these above religions. Most likely won't happen in our life time.

Thats exactly what happened to the Ancient Greek religion, Egytian religion, etc. Science will eventually prove Christianity wrong just like these above religions. Most likely won't happen in our life time.

It will be easier to do so if those people can be more open to new possibilities. Science may have already proved it wrong but those people may refuse to accept the fact. We already know the Earth is not flat.

On the other side, what are your opinions concerning the spiritual? I can not explain them, but that is what the debate forum is for.

Lemurian

Lady Myuu's Opposite
The spiritual with Christianity? Well, I will say that they have lessened a bit. No more healings in God's name, no more enlightened people claiming Messias ( there was one not too long ago ) and no more Holy World-Wars. There are maybe small " wonders " and minor relevations ( points to Christianity-club ) but I would say it's thinning out.

Vic Rattlehead

Spirtuality in religion? I think religion is just a psychological thing. Fear of death, disposition, etc, plays a big role in this. Religions seem to be unsupported explanation of what we can't comprehend or explain, atleast at some periods of time. Even with this definition, religion seems to be outdated, thus heavy revision of some holy texts. In Greek Mythology, in which a myriad of Gods preside, natural phenomenon/events that were uncomprehendable by ancient peoples were thought be caused by the Gods. If Zeus was angry he would hurl bolts of lightning onto Earth.

Last edited:

Lemurian

Lady Myuu's Opposite
Yes. The Egyptians said something for that.

" If you can't explain it, it's something from the Gods. "

Forgotten Member

Used to be Aipom
Lemurian said:
Yes. The Egyptians said something for that.

" If you can't explain it, it's something from the Gods. "

I've found that logic surprisingly common nowadays too, especially in the debate forum here...

cartwright

Marsh Trainer
Hi everyone! I would like to join this club!
I am an atheist because I was sent to a C of E infants and junior school. While I was at school, I just found the church service's boring and I couldn't see the point in prayer, espeacially in the school dining hall!
Even when I thought I had escaped (since my senior school wasn't supposed to be religious, but it still did things like the Harvest festival), my religious mother would sometimes drag me to the church for some reason, usually as a punishment!:D
But now that I was growing up (and no longer in the religious schools) I could see what the "older" worshippers were like!
They sing songs that constantly says things like,"He (Jesus) is my saviour!" over and over again! It was like they were being brainwashed!
Well that's what I think anyway!

Vic Rattlehead

cartwright said:
Hi everyone! I would like to join this club!
I am an atheist because I was sent to a C of E infants and junior school. While I was at school, I just found the church service's boring and I couldn't see the point in prayer, espeacially in the school dining hall!
Even when I thought I had escaped (since my senior school wasn't supposed to be religious, but it still did things like the Harvest festival), my religious mother would sometimes drag me to the church for some reason, usually as a punishment!:D
But now that I was growing up (and no longer in the religious schools) I could see what the "older" worshippers were like!
They sing songs that constantly says things like,"He (Jesus) is my saviour!" over and over again! It was like they were being brainwashed!
Well that's what I think anyway!

Which reminds me, repition. Prolonged belief in something induces a kind of mental peace, conformity. Just like your routine each morning, you rarely question it and ponder over it's tediousness and folly. It's hard to break away from religion for some. I would expect those who were scared into religion to be able to break away easier, or perhaps in a more difficult fashion.

Black Widow

Both my grandparents on my fathers side are very strong christians, and I have never told anyone in my family that I don't believe in God.
Like I said before, I believe in science, and I think only my parents are with me on this one. My dad is a wildlife bioligist, and I think he lost interest in religion after he got that job and found out how great nature and science are.
But when I was religous, I prayed quite often. Praying was the only thing of religion I liked. If ever I needed to talk to someone I could pray, but I've lost all faith in God, and now find it hard to even consider praying. Its just how could God be real? The bible was written long ago, no one has proof that god wrote it, and no one has proof he didn't. But scientists are finding out more and more each day. I'm afraid I'm going along with them.

S

Seeker of Truth

I hope this post does not offend you Psi or anyone else here... I figured why not get more people in on the discussions we have been having?

I think that the evidence of the world around us (past and present) points to the accuracy of the Bible. I hope you all read the following because I want to know what you all think about it. If you want to respond to this please do so HERE in another topic created by PsiUmbreon.

NOTE: I WILL BE USING WEBSITES, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN I SUPPORT ALL OF THEM. I DID NOT LOOK AT EVERY SINGLE THING IN ALL OF THEM. ALSO, PLEASE CHECK THE SCRIPTURE BECAUSE YOU SHOULD NOT ALWAYS TRUST THE INTERNET.

Many seem to think there are no outside sources that support the Bible when there is evidence all over the place. First of all there is the Bible itself, which has been spread all over the planet. You might think, "there are so many versions and it has been changed so many times," but what you might fail to realize is that there are not as many real versions as you might think. The problem is that most of us can't read Hebrew or Greek. That should not be much of a problem now though because in modern day you can read along and try to find out what the original Hebrew or Greek word means.

Also, they didn't have telephones or the internet before the Bible spread across the earth. Actually, they didn't even have the printing press until years after the Bible was spread greatly abroad. That being said, how could one person decide to make a universal change? Would a religious leader send out horsemen all across the land... to Jerusalem, to Rome, to western Europe, to Greece, to Ethiopia, to Saudi Arabia, to India, to the southern parts of Africa? Even if they did that, how would they get rid of all of the old Bibles? Would they burn them? I don't think so.

We also have the word of ancient historians not to mention the fact that other Jews and Muslims (do you know about the Talmud/Quran/etc.?) also speak of Jesus. The most impressive thing that supports Jesus might be the Old Testament itself which is amazing. I can post some of these scriptures if you want me to. The religions of well over half the world (Judaism,Christianity,Islam) seem to be based off this ancient book from the past and I think if we all read it carefully we can see the prophecies concerning Jesus. Another interesting thing is that ancient books not in most Bibles (the Books of Adam and Eve/the Book of Enoch) also have evidence for Jesus. There is evidence all around us. I hold nothing against anyone here though because I think there is a group suppressing the truth of the world.

Look at this for example from one translation of "The First Book of Adam and Eve." I am not saying that this is true or that it should be in the Bible, but it is interesting to read especially because it was probably written many years before Jesus was born to Mary.

CHAP. XIV.

THEN Adam said unto God: "O Lord, take Thou my soul, and let me not see this gloom any more; or remove me to some place where there is no darkness."

2 But God the Lord said to Adam, "Verily I say unto thee, this darkness will pass from thee, every day I have determined for thee, until the fulfilment of My covenant; when I will save thee and bring thee back again into the garden, into the abode of light thou longest for, wherein is no darkness. I will bring thee, to it--in the kingdom of heaven."

3 Again said God unto Adam, "All this misery that thou hast been made to take upon thee because of thy transgression, will not free thee from the hand of Satan, and will not save thee.

4 "But I will. When I shall come down from heaven, and shall become flesh of thy seed, and take upon Me the infirmity from which thou sufferest, then the darkness that came upon thee in this cave shall come upon Me in the grave, when I am in the flesh of thy seed.

5 "And I, who am without years, shall be subject to the reckoning of years, of times, of months, and of days, and I shall be reckoned as one of the sons of men, in order to save thee."

6 And God ceased to commune with Adam.
What alot of people do not realize is what it says in Genesis 6. I think this might help explain to us why ancient religions existed that had many so called "gods" and children of the so called "gods."

Genesis 6:1-4 (KJV)

6:1 And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

6:2 That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they were fair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

6:3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

6:4 There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

Is that not what we find evidence of in ancient religions? I think they made a recent Disney movie concerning one giant type son of a "god" so it should not be too hard to imagine even for the young ones here. I am not sure if there is a connection though so think about this for yourself. Learn about the legends of old in Egypt, India, Greece, and others for yourself if you want, but do not turn away from the One True God.

Keeping that in mind, have any of you heard of the book of Enoch? It is not in the Bible now and I am not saying it should be, but who really knows why it is not used like it was in earlier days? I wonder because early church fathers apparently used it. Here is a part of one translation from what seems to be the first book...

Chapter 6
1 And it came to pass when the children of men had multiplied that in those days were born unto them beautiful and comely daughters.
2 And the angels, the children of the heaven, saw and lusted after them, and said to one another: 'Come, let us choose us wives from among the children of men
3 and beget us children.' And Semjaza, who was their leader, said unto them: 'I fear ye will not
4 indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin.' And they all answered him and said: 'Let us all swear an oath, and all bind ourselves by mutual imprecations
5 not to abandon this plan but to do this thing.' Then sware they all together and bound themselves
6 by mutual imprecations upon it. And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mount Hermon, and they called it Mount Hermon, because they had sworn
7 and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. And these are the names of their leaders: Samlazaz, their leader, Araklba, Rameel, Kokablel, Tamlel, Ramlel, Danel, Ezeqeel, Baraqijal,
8 Asael, Armaros, Batarel, Ananel, Zaq1el, Samsapeel, Satarel, Turel, Jomjael, Sariel. These are their chiefs of tens.

Chapter 7
1 And all the others together with them took unto themselves wives, and each chose for himself one, and they began to go in unto them and to defile themselves with them, and they taught them charms
2and enchantments, and the cutting of roots, and made them acquainted with plants. And they
3 became pregnant, and they bare great giants, whose height was three thousand ells: Who consumed
4 all the acquisitions of men. And when men could no longer sustain them, the giants turned against
5 them and devoured mankind. And they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and
6 fish, and to devour one another's flesh, and drink the blood. Then the earth laid accusation against the lawless ones.

Chapter 8
1 And Azazel taught men to make swords, and knives, and shields, and breastplates, and made known to them the metals of the earth and the art of working them, and bracelets, and ornaments, and the use of antimony, and the beautifying of the eyelids, and all kinds of costly stones, and all
2 colouring tinctures. And there arose much godlessness, and they committed fornication, and they
3 were led astray, and became corrupt in all their ways. Semjaza taught enchantments, and root-cuttings, 'Armaros the resolving of enchantments, Baraqijal (taught) astrology, Kokabel the constellations, Ezeqeel the knowledge of the clouds, Araqiel the signs of the earth, Shamsiel the signs of the sun, and Sariel the course of the moon. And as men perished, they cried, and their cry went up to heaven . . .
Much happens after this (it apparently happened before the Flood, etc.), but I still wonder what the evil of the world is up to today. That is why I urge all of you to not judge Christianity by those that call themselves Christians. Do we really know who was behind various things that have gone on throughout the ages? Are false apostles and deceitful workers among us today?

2 Corinthians 11:13-14 (KJV)

11:13 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.

11:14 And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.

[I posted a good deal about some of my thoughts concerning the following in ID's questions for a priest topic so you can find more there including pictures.]

This scripture makes me think about various world leaders (no specific names are going to be given because who really knows who is behind everything and who is simply a puppet if this is true?), the upside down star in the streets of Washington DC, the strange symbols on currency, the strange symbols on company logos, the secret societies and so on. After all, if the freemasons are so powerful that they are the ones putting all these signs on stuff, who is to say they do not have ties that go way back? After all, the one(s) who designed and/or attempted to build the Tower of Babel might have had ties to masonry, no? How does this relate to brickmasonry?

Keep alert and understand that the evil of the world might have the power to decieve some of us. Understand that there could be an attempted suppression of the truth in the world right now. Look at things with an open mind for yourself and do not trust all of the things you hear from the televisions, the magazines, the schools, and even the governments. Understand where they might have the most power to influence our thoughts. Also, think about the amazing things in the world that do not hit the schools and news reports as much as they probably did in the past.

Just think about some of the following stuff. I am not saying that I know that ALL of the following are miracles or anything like that, but how can anyone honestly explain away all of this?

Jesus, stigmata, skin lettering, inner wounds, bilocation(being in two places simultaneously), inedia(the ability to forgo nourishment), demonic attacks, incorruptibles, tears of blood, near death experiences, the witness martyrs, Fatima, the statue of St. Francis Xavier, Gaudalupe, Eucharistic Miracles (see The Eucharistic Miracle of Lanciano), holy oils, oil of Saints, Lourdes, apparitions, the cross of Golgatha, healings, Apparitions of Saints, angels, demons, the Miraculous Sky-Cross of Migne, Acheiropoietoi, the odor of Sanctity, Veronica's Veil, The Mandylion of Edessa, sister Anna Ali's photo (and the similar image from several decades earlier), miraculous rose pedals, The Blood of St. Januarius, relics, Syracuse, the Turin Shroud, the Shroud pollen, Garabandal, the holy fire, the Sudarium of Oviedo, the cross in the sky of 312 AD, bleeding statues and paintings, and the personal stuff that has happened to me.

I see no reason any witnesses should be kicked out of the courtroom. Some people are open minded and some people are skeptics concerning anything that does not fit in their paradigm. If you are the second kind of person can you atleast let every witness get a chance to speak and let every piece of evidence get seen by the jury?

There is all kinds of interesting archaeological stuff (although I do not think I agree with some of their timeframes) here.

There are the virtual earthwide stories of a great flood here. Also, we have found the apparent remains of civilization in the Black Sea, near Cuba, and near Japan for some examples. Then there are the recent discoveries in the apparent area of Sodom and Gomorrah here.

There is the Great Pyramid itself, which seems to have strange architectural (and even geometric) ties with the history of the world as recorded in the Bible. We also have evidence of seawater in and outside (even fossils outside) the Great Pyramid. There is the Grand Canyon which (if created by the recent dynamics of the Colorado River) would have apparently taken atleast a trillion years to form. Do not forget the nearby petrified forest in the area as well. There are apparent spacecraft/helicopter heiroglyphs and even a model airplane looking thing from ancient times (more than one actually from various locations). There is much evidence of giants from back in the day. There is atleast one ancient stone hewn from a single block that weighs atleast 2.4 million pounds and we apparently can't lift it with modern cranes. There is what appears to be Noah's Ark on top of Mt. Ararat. There were chariot cabs and wheels found in the Red Sea including a 4-spoked gold chariot wheel. Finally, it now seems that all languages originated near Turkey.

I could go on, but I believe in Noah's Ark without seeing it and I have a feeling some people wouldn't believe in it if they stood inside of a giant wooden boat on top of Mt. Ararat. I love all of you and I hope we all find the truth together as brothers and sisters.

Last edited by a moderator:

PsiUmbreon

I am back!

First of all, I would like to welcome our three new members officially. And I would also like to thank DMM for holding the club together. Those were some interesting posts you guys all made this weekend, and I'd rep you if I could.

Aipom-welcome, and the reason why DMM posted "no bashing of religion" is that I told him to make sure it doesn't happen, because I don't want flaming. This is not a debate forum. This is a place to discuss why we don't believe, and share insights with each other. And yes I am fully aware of the fine line between bashing and stating refutations, and I will do my best to make sure we don't cross that line here.

Infinite Master Sceptile- I can't agree with you more. That is one of the factors which led me away from faith too. I used to pray to the man upstairs all the time, but it was like he would answer back with the middle finger, because my life just got worse after praying. Then I realized there's no one there!

cartwright- yes, my sympathy goes out to you and anyone here who was forced to attend a religious school. If there's any such thing as a miracle, it's that you guys didn't succumb to the brainwashing.

PlatinumSkarmory- Obviously you have not read the rules of my club. It clearly states, "Do not post unless you are in the club or intend to join." Secondly, this club is for atheists, agnostics, and skeptics, so I KNOW you don't intend to join. Now, in the debate forum, you can post whatever half-assed argument you want. But here, we don't care for your preachings. We don't take kindly to you trying to proselytize here in the SPPAA. So take your ramblings somewhere else.

And in response to your half-assed argument, first of all, there is a motivation within the scripture to not change it, since supposedly it's the word of God, I don't think any Christian recopying the Bible would want to change it out of fear for that God.

Second of all, I am pretty damn tired of you posting those biased fundie websites. You flood the debate forum with them, and now you're doing it here? In MY club, worse yet, in a forum that I moderate? the only thing I have to say to your fortress website is, www.jesusneverexisted.com/lying.htm .

Third of all, we're not judging Christianity by the actions of Christians. We are judging it by the inconsistencies found within its doctrines.

Fourth, here you go again with your miracles. Something that is unexplainable does not account for evidence of your deity. The logic behind your argument has always been, "I don't know X, therefore God" For instance, "I don't know why statues seem to bleed, therefore God" "I don't know why people see a light when they are close to dying, therefore God" "I don't know how life came to be, therefore God" And then you imply that WE are the closed minded. Bull. We either know the scientific explanation behind your "miracles" or we are open minded enough to not label it as an act of God and accept that there are possibly an infinite amount of alternative explanations. So who's the more open minded, the atheist, or the theist?

I am warning you: DO NOT POST IN HERE AGAIN, unless you are ready to question your faith instead of blindly accepting it. Not only does this just piss me off, but it is against the rules and I could have you banned for this.

I know we are all skeptics of religion. Do any of you believe in things such as psychics, ghosts, or astrology? I can not find any logical explaination for such things but they do appear to be true. Those things are hard to explain so any guesses, guys?

Lemurian

Lady Myuu's Opposite
Psychics? No. But I believe in Illusionists, Brainwashers and Hyphontizers.

Ghosts? Hm. Not sure...

Astrology? Not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.