• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

#SPP - The General Chatroom Rules (updated 8/25/2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renelia

#SPP - The General Chatroom Rules

The following listed ban times are standard, but chat room ops may change the length of your ban to whatever length they feel is necessary.
"Untimed Ban" refers to a ban that does not have a set expiry time. Old Untimed Bans are only removed when the ban list becomes full and we need to make room for more new bans, unless we have real reason to keep them there (repeated/severe offenses, ban evasion). This doesn't happen at any set time - it varies with chat activity.

If you are warned and choose to ignore your warning, you will be banned instead.
If you break a rule that you've just seen somebody else also get warned for, you may be banned instead of warned.

Repeated offences may result in you being permanently banned from the chat room.

Helpful Links
How to Report in the Chatroom - A Guide
General Tips to Avoid Scams
Scammed in #SPP-wifi?! Post here!
Can't get into chat? Read here.
Banned from #SPP or #SPP-Wifi unfairly, post here. READ. THE. FIRST. POST!!!!

Rules Regarding Permitted Content

#SPP is a channel for general discussion of most topics, and is not just limited to Pokémon. Though it isn't as strictly moderated as #SPP-WiFi, there are still several things that are not permitted.

No WiFi Requests

Warning, then 5 minute ban -- #SPP is not the place to trade, battle or swap Friend Codes. That is what #SPP-WiFi is for. Being banned from the WiFi chatroom is not an excuse to ask in #SPP instead and you will likely end up banned from both chatrooms if you persist.
<SPPGuest9746> arceus for trade
<SPPGuest4956> lf charizardite pm me
<SPPGuest1605> who wants to swap fcs?
<SPPGuest0945> Anyone have a Ditto safari?
WiFi-related questions and advice for things such as teambuilding, Pokémon legitimacy and trade fairness, however, are allowed.​

No Advertising

5 minute ban -- This rule includes websites that aren't related to Serebii, other IRC channels, and YouTube subscriptions – even if the site/channel/YouTube content is Pokémon related. If you really want to share a harmless URL in the chat for fun, you could PM it to an active op and they may do it for you, or permit you to post it and immediately unban you.
<SPPGuest7195> go to www.thebestwebsiteever.com to look at my team!
<SPPGuest7865> www.youtube.com/uselessvideo
<SPPGuest9354> hey come over to #awesomepeople to talk with cool people!

No Video Or Voice Chat Requests

5+ minute ban -- As a safety precaution, do not request voice chats or video chats.
<SPPGuest0999> lf video chat
<SPPGuest2947> who wants to voice chat PM me

No Inappropriate Topics

10+ minute ban -- Keep the channel clean. Anything that is inappropriate will be banned. This includes (but is not limited to) adult topics, offensive commentary, and illegal subject matter.
<SPPGuest7913> lf butts
<SPPGuest4613> who wants to touch my <censored>
There are some topics that may be confusing to some members as to whether or not they are considered appropriate in #SPP. Click the spoiler for more details on what topics are specifically considered inappropriate in #SPP.
No Illegal Download Discussion

5 minute ban -- Besides roms/emulators, you may also not ask for downloads of any copyrighted material. (This includes Pokémon episodes, episodes of any other anime or show, mp3 downloads, etc). You may also not ask for help downloading these things.
Even if filesharing laws are lax where you live, they aren't for most people, and the SPP chat rooms do not condone copyright infringement.
<SPPGuest8943> who has an mp3 of a song?
<SPPGuest3346> i want the latest pokémon episode!
<SPPGuest2222> where can I download a song?

No ROM Discussion

5 minute ban -- The SPP chat rooms do not condone illegal activity. Do not discuss any ROMs (Pokémon games or otherwise). This rule also includes emulators, M3 cards, and R4 cards.
<SPPGuest8913> Who has a B/W rom?
<SPPGuest5036> Need help with my R4

No Cheating Device Discussion

5 minute ban -- Serebii has stated in the past that "They're not in the nature of the game, they only cheapen it." As such, do not mention hacking tools/devices (or their abbreviations), especially since you may not offer/request hacked Pokémon. This includes Gameshark, Action Replay, Pokésav, Pokégen and Powersave.
<SPPGuest1561> I need someone with a game shark
<SPPGuest4912> Anyone have an AR?
<SPPGuest6927> Who can hack me something with PokeSav??
<SPPGuest5849> how do I make my pokemon shiny with powersave

No Glitch Discussion

Warning, then 5 minute ban -- Talking about specific Pokémon glitches both helpful and harmful, old and new is forbidden. Asking how to do them is also not allowed.
<SPPGuest1561> how do i clone my pokemon
<SPPGuest4912> what's the E4 glitch that gets you shaymin in pearl?

No RNG Discussion

Warning, then 5 minute ban -- Game Freak has come out and said they disapprove of it and consider it cheating, so Serebii does too.
<SPPGuest1561> how do i RNG
<SPPGuest4912> can someone RNG something for me

No 'Begging'

Warning, then 5+ minute ban -- If you have only come to SPP to beg for free things such as games, codes or unused accounts, we don't want you here. If you want a Pokémon or ingame item, go to #SPP-Wifi to try and trade for one.
<SPPGuest7916> can some1 pls PLS giv me a reshiram
<SPPGuest2416> Anyone got any spare TCG codes?
<SPPGuest3232> who has a runescape account???!

No Asking For Relationships

Warning, then 5+ minute ban -- This is not a dating site and there are many children here. Unless you are looking for some sort of advice from these people and specifically say so, asking around for any boys/girls/gays/lesbians/etc. is not permitted either.
<SPPGuest4905> are there girls here? ;)
<SPPGuest6932> anyone gay and wanna send me a PM

No Asking For Personal Information

Untimed ban -- Do not ask anyone in the chat or in PM for anything like their Facebook, address or other contact details. Some users may be okay telling their name, age or where they live but asking for these things specifically will still make others very uncomfortable and ill intentions will be punished severely.
<SPPGuest4922> whats ur fb
<SPPGuest9607> Can I have your phone number?

No Inappropriate Nicknames

5+ minute ban -- Do not change your nickname to something that mentions a banned topic of discussion.
* SPPGuest2984 is now known as LF_hacks
* SPPGuest3241 is now known as ImSexy
* SPPGuest2984 is now known as IGotActionReplay

No Spoilers

Warning, then 5+ minute ban -- When a Pokémon (or other) game has recently been released, people in #SPP may not want to be spoiled. This rule will be enforced less harshly a few weeks afterwards, however it still always applies to info 'leaks' for other games and series, especially if they are recent.
<SPPGuest3974> omg guys red is the champion again!!1
<SPPGuest1185> leaks say professor layton is in smash?!?!
<SPPGuest4082> ROSEBUD IS THE SLED

No Clan Discussion

5 minute ban -- Do not ask people to join your clan. Do not recruit or talk about recruiting. This includes advertising your clan through mass private messaging. Mentioning the word "clan" will result in a ban.
<SPPGuest7946> Join my clan!!!
<SPPGuest2894> Recruiting lots of people!
<SPPGuest7623> lf clan members

No Tournament Discussion

5 minute ban -- Do not ask to host or join a tournament. Do not ask for other people to create a tournament. These topics pertain to clans, and mentioning them will result in a ban. This rule includes advertising your tournament through mass private messaging.
<SPPGuest8465> lf tournament battle
<SPPGuest5213> join my tournament!

Rules Regarding General Courtesy

Everyone should be able to chat easily without having to worry about being harassed. Follow the rules.

English Only Please

5 minute ban -- The language of the chatroom is English. Using any other language may result in a ban. If you want to talk to someone in another language, do so in a private message.
<SPPGuest4495> busco rayquaza
<SPPGuest3902> Salut ! Comment ça va ?
<SPPGuest8746> みなさん、こんにちは! !

No Spamming

5+ minute ban -- If you Spam with anything in excess, you will be removed. This includes flooding, repeating, gibberish, and excessive characters/emoticons.
<SPPGuest3332> :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p lf milotic :o:o:o :o:o:o :o:o:o :o:o:o
<SPPGuest6444> sfasjneklqwjrl;asmklnsral;mflisnramogkl;dsoe
Click the spoiler for more specific things that fall under the realm of “spamming”.
No Flooding

5+ minute ban -- Do not write too many lines of text in a row too quickly. This is spam, and causes the channel to scroll faster than other people can keep up.
[10:05] <SPPGuest1591> Do
[10:05] <SPPGuest1561> Not
[10:05] <SPPGuest1561> Write
[10:05] <SPPGuest1561> Like
[10:05] <SPPGuest1561> This

No Repeating

5 minute ban -- Don't send the same message repeatedly within a short time frame. Changing a couple words/characters to try and evade spam filters will still get you banned.
[11:20] <SPPGuest4495> who likes gardevoir
[11:20] <SPPGuest4495> who likes gardevoir
[11:20] <SPPGuest4495> who likes gardevoirr)

No Character Spamming

5 minute ban -- Don't write out long lines of the same letter/character. This is annoying and disruptive. This includes space-spamming.
<SPPGuest6595> buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuutt
<SPPGuest3277> I am Arceus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
<SPPGuest0045> w h a t s u p d a w g

No Roleplaying

Warning, then 5 minute ban -- Roleplaying is an annoyance to anyone who just wants to talk. Roleplay in PM or on the roleplaying section on SPPf instead. Use of the /me command can fall under this rule.
<Ash> Pikachu, use Thunderbolt on Squirtle!
<Pikachu> Pika-pika!!
* Squirtle dodges and uses Water Gun

Please Use Plain Text

5+ minute ban – There is no need to format your messages excessively. Keep your formatting to a minimum so that everybody's messages have an equal chance of standing out.
Keep Bold/Underline/etc to a Minimum

5 minute ban -- Use bold, underline, reverse, and italics (that goes for you mIRC 7.1+ users) sparingly. If too much of your text in one line is formatted, it is an auto-ban.
<SPPGuest4999> Where is Thundurus?
<SPPGuest5941> charizard is my favourite pokemon

Don't use /me excessively

5 minute ban -- Do not abuse the /me command. It is not just purple text and is usually used for roleplaying, which is not allowed here.
* SPPGuest8744 throws a Pokéball
* SPPGuest8744 caught a Caterpie!

No Excess Caps

5 minute ban -- DO NOT WRITE OUT LINES LIKE THIS.
<SPPGuest7944> I WANT HEART GOLD!
<SPPGuest9226> CAN SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE!?
<SPPGuest6545> hello I NEED HELP WITH SOMETHING!

No Harassment
5+ minute ban – Treat people the way you would want to be treated. No rude comments in the chat room, no PM harassment, no impersonating somebody else. Simply put, don't be annoying on purpose.
No Flaming

5 minute ban -- Do not complain about other users in the chat room under any circumstances. If somebody is breaking a rule, report them.
<SPPGuest6544> SPPGuest3803 is fat and ugly
<SPPGuest8945> Jim is a moron!

No PM Harassment

10+ minute ban -- Do not harass others via private message. If someone is harassing you, report them.
Remember, ops cannot see your PM conversations unless you send logs to us. If somebody is harassing you in PM, you must send us the entire conversation between the two of you, because we can't see it otherwise.
See other specific rules for examples. All chat rules extent to PMs within the chat as well.

No Impersonation

5+ minute ban -- Do not change your nickname to one that is intentionally similar to another person in the chatroom. This includes regular users, ops, and network staff.
<kirbee> kirby is a bad op!
<Sereb11> give me all your Pokémon or your bannd!
<St3phen> stephen banned me and i'm mad!!!
<[YZ]CIanDude> lol look at me i'm [YZ]ClanDude and i'm dumb

No Cloning

5+ minute ban -- Do not join on a duplicate connection with another name. (We will make an exception if you are trying to set up mIRC or another chat client.)​

No Constant Nickname Changing

5 minute ban -- Changing it multiple times within a short space of time spams the chatroom. Choose a nickname and stick to it.
[23:50] * SPPGuest4930 is now known as sharkboy
[23:50] * sharkboy is now known as lavagirl
[23:50] * lavagirl is now known as sharkgirl
[23:50] * sharkgirl is now known as lavaboy

Rules Regarding Chatroom Management

SPP's ops were selected for a reason. SPP's rules were written for a reason. Keep these guidelines in mind when dealing with chatroom staff.

No Arguing With Ops About Bans/Rules

5+ minute ban -- If you were banned from #SPP-Wifi and don't know why/think it was in error, it is okay to politely enquire about it in #SPP. An op can help you from there if they see you, or you can PM them.
However, complaining and being hostile about it will only get you banned even longer. The rules of both chats are decided upon by all the ops and are not up for debate, so arguing with an op will not get them changed.
If you feel you have been banned unfairly, you may post about it in this thread, but make sure to follow that thread's instructions or else your post may be ignored.
<SPPGuest7888> you're a stupid op!
<SPPGuest9462> why can't I talk about RNG? your rules are <censored>

No Ban Evasion

Untimed ban -- If you were banned, and return under a different IP or vhost, you will automatically be banned and reported to network services. Bans usually last 5-10 minutes, so just wait them out. Longer (untimed) bans can be removed when an op clears the ban list of older bans (which happens at no specific time), but there will be bans we want to keep there. Ban evasion will not only get you in further trouble with the chat room, but will also get you in trouble with network staff, and you may be permanently banned from all chat rooms for a very long time.​

No Script Evasion

5+ minute ban -- Some of the ops have tools known as scripts which can sometimes detect when somebody is breaking a rule. If you try to break a rule by changing your text to evade a script, you will be banned.
<SPPGuest6006> Come check out my channel at youtube(dot)com/user/AmazingHonks
<SPPGuest8752> does someone have pow3rs4v3?

Tricking people into triggering scripts is not allowed

Untimed ban -- If you try to get someone in trouble by making them trigger a script by accident, they won't get in trouble, but you will.
<SPPGuest9173> what do you use for game cheats again?
<SPPGuest6059> say that 3 times plz
<SPPGuest4984> say some caps with me, like this! AAAAAAAA

No False Reports

5+ minute ban -- If you try to get someone in trouble by making fake logs or other fake evidence, you will be banned.​

No Mini-Opping

Warning, then 5 minute ban -- Redirecting people to #SPP-WiFi and other light rule reminding can be okay sometimes, but do not act like you are a chatroom op. If you notice somebody else breaking a rule in the chatroom who is not being dealt with, tell an op privately. Note: .
<SPPGuest5921> you're not allowed to swear!
<SPPGuest5921> and don't talk about that stuff!

No Access Begging

Warning, then 5 minute ban -- You will not be opped/voiced if you ask for it. Just don't ask. (Op/Voice is having ~ & @ % + next to your name)
<SPPGuest9599> can I be an op?
<SPPGuest9599> plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
<SPPGuest9599> i promise i'll be a good op

Don't Ask Ops How They Became Ops

Warning, then 5 minute ban -- This is particularly annoying. Ops are added when the other ops think that they should be added. There is no way to "become an op" of your own doing, it is a granted access that you cannot ask for, and probably will not get if you make it apparent you're trying to get it. Let your curiosity rest on this one, and stop asking.
<SPPGuest1141> so how did u become op
<SPPGuest6627> who made u op?
<SPPGuest8858> how do i become an op

This rules set was written collaboratively by the #SPP and #SPP-Wifi op team.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.