1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

SPPF Christian Alliance

Discussion in 'Clubs' started by Pikawho?, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I haven't noticed too many obvious Christian themes in many Nintendo games, but it is interesting to hear that the Legend of Zelda series could have had a Christian basis for part of it. Of course, the game ended up being much less Christian-based in the end with all the focus on magic and monsters, but it's a cool piece of trivia for a great game series.

Absolutely! Welcome to the Christian Alliance! I hope you'll grow in the grace and love of Jesus Christ during your time here. Please feel free to join in the current conversation or start a new one.

2. ArceusAlpha493

ArceusAlpha493 Benevolent Creator

True and onto another topic, if all the prominent biblical people had a pokemon(Legendary pokemon should be for the more important and to our Lord and Savior).

3. Furret Master

Furret Master Champion Seeker

I really wish they had kept that, that would have been so awesome. I've seen a cool picture from "Link to the Past" related to that.

4. ArceusAlpha493

I saw that picture on Zelda wiki. Yeah that would have been cool. Really though, do you think if Ganon found about God, he would just not seek the triforce and instead try to use God's power? But that would be one sided as Ganon would be done in.

Anyways have you watched Pokémon Arceus and the Jewel of Life which is a favorite Pokémon movie? Is it me or did the movie have a bit of an Easter feel to it like Marcus betraying Arceus like Judas betraying Jesus, Arceus is restored from near death after being drowned in Silver Water(man that was dark for a pokemon movie. That liquid must not be some ordinary liquid.) and Jesus rises from the dead on the third day.

5. Matoro

Matoro Toa of Ice

I think a lot of stories that seem to be simple children's stories have a biblical counterpart, i.e. Chronicles of Narnia. It is entirely possible, although some debate if describing Arceus as the "God Pokémon" or "Creator Pokémon" is sacrilegious.

6. Roseheart95

Roseheart95 El Psy Congroo

I think the main argument why it's not really something to get worried about it is that Pokemon is set in a different world to ours.

7. Pikawho?

Pikawho? (five15)

Welcome to the club DSoT and Steelrush! I hope you enjoy your time here. =)

Regarding Zelda and Christianity, that's really interesting. I had never heard of that before. I can kinda see it, though. In the first game your shield has a cross on it and in a Link to the Past there's a church. I might be pulling out insignificant details though. Definitely wouldn't have worked with all the polytheism and magic in that world but still could've been a neat reference. I'll need to look up that pic you guys referenced.

And there are definitely many allegories of the gospel story. I agree with Roseheart that it's not really sacrilegious since it's in a completely different universe. I have not seen the movie but from what you described it sounds like Arceus basically died but came back to life as if nothing happened (I believe Celebi in Pokemon 4ever had a similar experience). It's not telling you that Arceus died so that we could be saved. But that's just my take on it.

Dread Advocate: Ah ok. Well hopefully ABR and DWP will swing by the 7 next time around. ABR just announced a new tour and they'll also be at the masquerade. That's unfortunate that the people at the venue are horrible. =/ Hopefully that other festival will work out for you! I've honestly only heard of the headliners (saw Oh Sleeper at warped tour in July) but I'm sure it'll still be a great time.

WT: Haha I'm the king of late responses. Don't sweat it. =P Well that's something at least. Hopefully God will bring some good Christians into your cousin's life who can be a good witness to him. I definitely agree that it sucks how a lot of people these days can be paranoid and be hesitant to trust anyone. But that's the result of living in a fallen world.

8. ArceusAlpha493

That's true and now to a new topic, if all prominent people in Bibilical history had partner pokemon, what would they be? Legendaries and pseudo legendaries would best fit the higher up like Jesus, God, Mary, and others.

9. Steelrush

Steelrush Banned

The three wise men would possibly have Pokemon similar to the Sinnoh lake guardians.

10. Roseheart95

Hm, I think if there were "light types" then maybe they'd fit the bill for a lot of them :)

11. Chimungus

Chimungus Well-Known Member

Okay sorry about this, but I have another question about Pokemon that's been bugging me lately! I found this super weird website online that was complaining about Pokemon being evil (don't ask me how I found it!) I think it's a joke, but what bothers me is what they say about Kadabra might be based off of. It's called "pokedex of evil" I think so if you could read what it says and tell me your opinion about it I would appreciate it!

12. Matoro

Matoro Toa of Ice

[​IMG]

Really this is clearly intended to be a joke. To begin with, this guy knows what's up with the evolutions etc. It's supposed to be funny. All the commenters took him seriously though. It's just a giant joke.

13. ArceusAlpha493

We know that and really evolution in pokemon is metamorphises. Anyways back to the topic I was talking about.

14. Chimungus

Chimungus Well-Known Member

Well i know it's a joke, but do you think the abra line is supposed to be based off of that demonic thing? I really don't see many similarities but I've read about it elsewhere.

15. ArceusAlpha493

No its based off of psychics and resembles a fox

16. Roseheart95

Almost anything you do in this world will have some kind of thing in it that Christians may find a bit dodgy. And there's probably a website for most things saying "don't play this/watch that etc." because of one small thing. Pokemon was targeted by quite a lot of fundamentalists when it first came to popularity in the United States because it was so hugely popular. Harry Potter has also suffered from that, even though JK Rowling is a Christian and there are many Christian themes in it. Maybe you are creating a problem by focussing on the small things in Pokemon rather than the bigger things. Think about it another way - the main theme of pretty much every Pokemon game is creating a bond of trust and love and friendship with your Pokemon, going through experiences together, and growing with them, as well as caring for them. Evil vs. good is also a big theme, and it's usually because the evil team sees Pokemon as mere tools, and not living beings that should be loved and respected.

Feel free to VM me if you want to discuss this - I myself went through a phase of wondering whether every little thing was a sin or not right for me etc. (not saying it's such a big problem to you, but if it is, I wanted to let you know I've been there myself). The main thing to think about is whether it's becoming an idol - are you missing church to play Pokemon? Did you schedule Bible-reading time, but you played Pokemon instead? We can enjoy Pokemon, since it highlights many good, Christian values. But if you're addicted to it, then it's not going to be healthy. The trick is moderation.

17. ArceusAlpha493

Hey are we still on the topic I picked? This thread seems inactive.

18. crobatman

crobatman Well-Known Member

Since, all the pokemon news has been coming out, I have been going through the forums to see everyone's ideas. Just decided to stop by the club and say hello! I am working on my Master's Degree now!!! This is crazy because when I started on Serebii forums, I was just at the end of my senior year in High School!

I will try to get on a little more when I can though. My favorite new pokemon so far is Tyrunt!!!! I can't wait to see it's evolution. About to check out the topic that Dialga's Song of Time picked out.

Statesboro! I was at Georgia Southern last year! I started doing a MAT there, but changed to a different master's degree. I am now going to Liberty University online, and working on Master's in Public Health. I think video games are healthy! :p

Not sure about Christian themes in Nintendo, but that is a good question to build up some curiosity.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  19. ArceusAlpha493

Well the Zelda series originally had some Christian references in the earlier titles like the first Legend of Zelda and A Link to the Past which does have an artwork of Link praying. Also, on another note, what about the topic of the Pokémon they would have that was mentioned earlier? My brother goes to GSU. One more time! We have Wensday night Wesley at the Pitmen Park Church. Did you go to Wesley before?

20. crobatman

crobatman Well-Known Member

I usually drove home to Kingsland on the weekends to go to my church. On Wednesdays, I would either go to Glennville or Jesup where I have some family and people I know.

I will have to go look back at the other question about Pokemon.
    Jonah could have a Wailord and a Caterpie.

Moses could have a Farfetch'd. Moses carried a staff around, and Farfetch'd has his leek. This is fun!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.