1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

SPPF Christian Alliance

Discussion in 'Clubs' started by Pikawho?, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ArceusAlpha493

ArceusAlpha493 Benevolent Creator

That I am not sure of and I really don't like Charizard who to me is the most overrated Pokémon in the fanbase along with Mew and Mewtwo. Just go on youtube and see how many gen one fans are obsessed with Charizard because of the anime.

Now back to topic, what about the Creation Trio which are Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina? And if we go by the anime, they live in different diminsions. Giratina lives in the Reverse/Distortion World, the world on the opposite side of the real world. Speaking of which, since we are talking about the Pokémon being created by God and the pokemon coexisting with humans, would the Distortion World look different from the one of the Pokémon World or they could be linked together with the Distortion World supporting all worlds.

2. flawlessazn

flawlessazn Spiffy ~ ^^"

Not sure about the creation trio, but it would make sense that God have Arceus?

They are both known to be the creator of the world itself ...

Also, a random question, but are we allowed to ask for Christian advice here? ... or do we just talk about Pokemon?

3. Matoro

Matoro Toa of Ice

Naw, it's mostly Christian stuff. You can talk about anything. That's just a little side question he was discussing. What's up?

4. crobatman

crobatman Well-Known Member

I would much prefer discussing more than just pokemon on here. The pokemon thing is just for fun. Other topics are very welcome! I even try my best to give answers.

I taught a bible study tonight about the 1st Chapter of Malachi. Are we giving our best worship to God? Here is a topic: What kind of Worship does God want?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  5. Pikawho?

Pikawho? (five15)

Welcome back, Crobatman. I guess you were all it took to get the club active again. =P

Flawlessazn: Although one of the main topics is Pokemon based right now, we generally talk about Christian issues. If there's something specific you want to discuss don't be afraid to post it. =)

Regarding Biblical figures and their pogeymanz: I think it would make sense if the three wise guys men had the Genie trio. Genies are kinda an oriental idea, right? That's my contribution to the topic. I like how in-depth you guys got with it. Definitely looked into it a lot more than I did.

What hobbies/activities/collections take up your time besides Pokemon and studying for school?

My current hobby is music. I grew up playing piano and I'm learning to expand my talents in that as well as learn guitar. I play anything from worship songs to covers of groups I like. Currently not involved in any activities but I'm looking to join a intramural sports league within the company I work for. I collect graphic novels of my favorite series (Higurashi, Scott Pilgrim, Death Note, FMA). Other than that, I just waste a lot of time on the internet looking at memes and reading various articles.

What kind of Worship does God want?

I believe that God wants worship that is pure. What I mean is that He wants worship that comes directly from our hearts. Worship that is something we want to do of our own free will and not out of obligation. Remember that worship goes beyond traditional singing of songs. Our lives are intended to be an act of worship to our Creator and Saviour. I think that the worship God wants is the kind where we fully give up ourselves to Him and recognize all that He has done for us.

Not sure if that's what you were looking for. Hopefully it made sense. I'm too drunk tired to tell. lol

6. crobatman

Thanks! That sounds good with the Genie Trio by the way.

Great response on the worship question! I ask because there are a lot of complacent Christians in the world that have been stuck going through the motions. That is a problem especially by living with no real persecution, a danger in success. That is what the first chapter of Malachi shows. The people of Israel were giving their leftovers to God. They were sacrificing sick and diseased lambs in stead of the best. I believe worship is all about our attitude. We should give our best to God. Be active in your church, have a joy-filled spirit, and live for God!

7. flawlessazn

flawlessazn Spiffy ~ ^^"

Yes, i agree with all of you about worship. Its not just about songs, but about everything we do with a pure and sincere heart ...

On another topic, have you guys ever struggled with repeating the same sin over and over? and do you have any advice?

A friend of mine is going through this, no matter how hard he tries, he always repeats the same sin (to be more accurate, sexual sin).

8. crobatman

It is a struggle that everyone goes through because as Christians we have a battle in our minds between our Fleshly nature and the Spiritual nature. Even the Apostle Paul had a struggle he called a Thorn in the flesh. Romans 7:15-20 has this:

15 I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. 16 And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. 17 As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. 18 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[a] For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. 19 For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. 20 Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

all the "do's" make that sound a bit confusing, but the point is that with us being a part of this sinful world, then we are going to have battles to overcome. Thankfully, we have a power to DO what is right. We can say no. We can make the right choices.

There is a lot more in scripture to share about this. I will try to find some more resources to share. When I was on campus at my University, I was in a bible study group called Lust Free Living. It helped me out a lot. I learned that having an accountability partner, a prayer buddy that one can confide in, is a great way to reduce the urges to yield to temptations.

9. Matoro

Matoro Toa of Ice

Okay, question. A lot of atheists will bring up God's Old Testament commands in their arguments, you know, "If a woman is not a virgin when she is marred, stone her," and "You much sacrifice two doves once a week to make up for your sins," etc. As a Christian, what would you say in response to these? A friend of mine once said, "Well it is a sin to stone her right? And it has always been a sin and always will be one? So why would God explicitly command someone to sin?" Just wondering how you guys would respond to these.

10. crobatman

My response is that God's rules are perfect anyway. We can not really question the supreme being who is always right. Anyway, those rules are a result of sin in the world. They would be a non-issue if people just lived right. It would not be a sin to stone her, but it would be a sad thing. They are following the law. We can not impose our moral standards of today on those that were living 3,000 years ago either. In the case of this non-virgin, it would be a shocking a rare thing for that time and culture. The verse references for that is Deut. 22:13-21. The last part says, "because she has committed an act of folly in Israel, by playing the harlot in her father’s house; thus you shall purge the evil from among you," Finally, she was not stoned for not being a virgin, but for carrying out a deception in trying to appear as one. http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/genesis-deuteronomy/stone-woman-not-being-virgin

The sacrifices were set up as a picture of the ultimate sacrifice in Jesus Christ. Even in the beginning, God killed an animal to cover up Adam and Eve's nudity. This covering represents how the blood of Christ covers us.

Now, a lot of people when responding will say something like, "Those are Old Testament laws! Jesus did away with that!" Well, that is not true. Jesus did not come to abolish the law, but to fulfill the law. We are under Grace, and we even have Liberty. We can look at the law to learn what should be good choices for us. The Law reminds us of our sinfulness, but Grace reminds of of Jesus' sacrifice for us. We do not even deserve His grace and forgiveness.

11. Matoro

Matoro Toa of Ice

So are you saying that certain things that are considered sins now would not be considered sins back then? I.e., it is definitely a sin to kill someone if it is not out of self defense currently. If you say yes, then you are contradicting the principle that God is unchanging. He cannot make things one day be sins and then the next not, or vice versa.

12. ShiningJolteon

ShiningJolteon New Member

Hello everyone. I am very excited to see that there is a Christian club on Serebii. I'm a born again Baptist Christian, saved at a young age and confirmed multiple times over my adolescence. I am currently 24 years old, still living the Christian life, and definitely enjoy the idea of being able to speak with others like me.

As far as flaming from me, you won't hear any. I do believe that the act of homosexuality is biblically wrong. However, so is greed, pride, envy, covetousness, and other things that most of us are guilty of from time to time. As was said in the original post, Christians should hate the sin, not the sinner.

Other than that, I'm a very easy going guy, and I'm just here to hang out with people like me. I'd like to officially join, if that's okay.

13. crobatman

I did not say that. It was not a sin for them to stone her because that was the law. They would be following God's law. Death, however, is the result of sin. Just read that link I shared with that post.

Hello! Welcome to our club! Basically, just do what you can to keep the thread going with good discussion. I am 25, and a Baptist too!

14. Matoro

Matoro Toa of Ice

Yes, I did read the link that you provided. My only problem is, if you claim the stoning was not a sin because it was God's law, and stoning someone is a sin today, then God's law changed over time. That should not be something that is open to change. In addition, you place a lot of worth on the cultural context. I understand the cultural context and I have heard the argument about "You have to teach addition to a preschooler before you teach them algebra" many times. But not only does this assume that ancient man had a lesser intellectual capacity, it should mean that God's law is though and enacted in different ways. The fact of the matter is, you say
    And yet I'm fairly certain that any modern church will teach that stoning someone is wrong under any circumstances, even if they committed an act culturally equivalent (or even worse) such as murdering very large numbers of people gruesomely. Do you think that it should be okay to stone them then?

15. ShinySandshrew

ShinySandshrew †God Follower†

Let me jump in for a quick moment on the topic of the OT Laws. God set these up as the rules of the government of Israel. The basis for these laws was God's righteousness, sovereignty, justice, and grace. They were allowed to carry out capital punishment because God instituted capital punishment by the hands of government. This was instituted after the Flood. Capital punishment of a guilty person at the hands of the government is not a sin. Dealing out punishment for crimes is the role of the government in both the OT and the NT.

Now, here's what would be a sin today: If a single Christian or a church body pronounced capital punishment on an individual and carried out the execution. This clearly goes against what God through Peter states in the NT to "Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;" (1 Peter 2:13)

The Church has not been set up as the legal system for this age and we are to obey the current government, in so far that its laws do not contradict God's word. (Example: A law that says you can't preach the Gospel)

Now let me comment further about the importance of sexual purity and its relation to the capital punishment. We must keep in mind that God instructs us to keep our selves from sexual immorality in both the NT and the OT. Furthermore, we can see numerous illustrations in the NT comparing the church as a bride and Christ as a bridegroom. (Most notably in Ephesians 5:21-32, 2 Corinthians 11:2, and Revelation 19:7-8) Sexual sin breaks the picture of Christ and the Church. God would be completely justified if He set up a government in this day and age where sexual sins were capital crimes. Consider how great a sin the apostle Paul must have considered sexual immorality to be when he said "Flee sexual immorality" (1 Corinthians 6:18).

Hopefully, this has shed some light on the subject for you. I hope you have a good evening, all!

16. crobatman

Thanks Shiny Sandshrew, I tried to answer with as short a response as I could with my time. It was a law that God set up for the nation of Israel, and therefore not a sin. Matoro, I know what you are saying, but God is the one who commanded it. We are under Grace now, but the Law is the schoolmaster. I would never condone stoning anyone today, but capital punishment is something that is a law of the government. One of the ten commandments says "Thou shall not kill." I believe that means Murder. Look up the Hebrew for me though to make sure. War, Self-defense, Capital Punishment are all different types of killing that are not Sin, but they are an effect of sin. Because of this sin cursed world, laws had to be made to give some order. The same thing applied for the people of Israel, who are a part of our history as Christians too. We can learn from them. Just imagine how many virgins waited until marriage because of that. We preach purity today, but they took it more to the extreme.

Just think about when the pharisee brought the adulterous woman to Jesus.

8 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives.

2 Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. 3 Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, 4 they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. 5 Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” 6 This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear.

7 So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” 8 And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. 9 Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. 10 When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?”

11 She said, “No one, Lord.”

And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.”

12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”

That was such a profound and unexpected thing for them! Jesus shows that we are all sinners. Based on my wickedness, I am no better than the adulterous woman. However, Jesus has forgiven me of my sin. Whenever we find fault with others, we ought to reflect upon ourselves, and to be more severe against sin in ourselves than in others. There are so many lessons to learn from this!

I have a question! What technology have you seen in your church? My church has internet, facebook, website, and a projector. I love using the projector to show videos during lessons and put words on the screen for worship. However, I know a lot of churches that still do not have internet or computers, while there are others that are very advanced.

I am thinking of getting a tablet to use for school and other activities. I am still not sure which one is the best though. I would like to put it to use in church activities too. I take my laptop, speakers, and connect it to a TV sometimes for showing videos during bible study lessons. Perhaps a tablet will be better, and more portable. Any advice on which tablet is best?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  17. Steelrush

Steelrush Banned

Funny that I see that after what happened yesterday. Thanks for posting this. ^_^

18. flawlessazn

flawlessazn Spiffy ~ ^^"

My church doesn't have internet, we only have the digital projector.

We also have this program called Easy Worship for the laptop, that shows the song texts with moving backgrounds.

19. crobatman

Easy Worship is what we use too! Ours is outdated, but still good and easy to show others how to run it. Very convenient!

I am considering an iPad Mini by the way. I use my laptop a lot when teaching, but the tablet is a lot more portable.

20. Roseheart95

Roseheart95 El Psy Congroo

Our pastor uses a tablet for his sermons, but that's about it, although I think we have a website, too...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.