1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

SPPF Christian Alliance

Discussion in 'Clubs' started by Pikawho?, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crobatman

crobatman Well-Known Member

I have seen different pastors use tablets too. My dad, though, is not big on using tech. I would say he is old-school. :p

New topic, since I am doing a Study on Malachi with my youth group, here was a good question to post here.

Why is it not enough for a Christian to simply know theology?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  2. Dread Advocate

Dread Advocate †Stay Metal†

Hey guys, it's been a while. I have several prayer requests:
    1) My cat Ethel just died about an hour ago. It's really painful to dig the grave for a friend of sixteen years.
    2) My student pastor recently asked me to be a small group leader for freshman and sophomore guys on Wednesday nights. I'll need lots of patience.
    3) I don't have a clue what I'm going to do after this semester. I don't know if I should continue on in college, much less where I could go without a car. I don't even know what kind of career I'll have to do because of how vicious the literary market is and the chances of me getting a big break are next to none.
    4) I'm really struggling to get a job. No place will take me without experience, a car, or an extremely flexible schedule (which I don't have).

I'll be keeping everyone else in my prayers. And I'll try to get around to answering your most recent question, crobatman.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. crobatman

Dread Advocate, what year are you in college? Are you on campus?
    I had to stay in a dorm on my campus, and I had no car either. I even was 10 hours away from home. However, I always asked the guys whenever they were going on a Walmart run, so I could hitch a ride. Friends with cars are always a benefit! Just show your appreciation. I say use this Small Group Leader opportunity as a chance to gain experience. You can put that on your resume. I was a prayer leader, and I lead youth at my church. Jobs like that you have experience in education or training. I am looking for work right now too. I will just say that finishing your degree will look a lot better to future employers. Just keep your self busy while looking for work. Volunteer, learn something useful, and have productive hobby, and be persistent on your career search. I bet your school even has a Career Advisement office or you can even talk to some of your professors who went through similar struggles too.

Also, I know the pain of losing a pet too. My best friend, Shadow a golden retriever, passed away a couple years ago. However, I have good memories of him that will last through my life, and he teaches me how to treat future pets better too. When I do get my future career, I plan to get another Golden Retriever. Best dogs ever!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  4. Dread Advocate

I got to Georgia Highlands College Douglasville campus, it's my fifth semester, and I still live with my parents. In theory, I should get my associate's in English either after this semester or in May. But the advisors will more than likely tell me at the end of this semester that I have more classes to take. It's what they did last fall with math classes.

5. Cometstarlight

Cometstarlight What do I do now?

It's been a while since I've posted here. I'm just going to subscribe to the thread so I can keep up with you guys Xp

In all seriousness though, I need prayer.

It's my first semester in college and things are rough (not as bad as it could be, but still). I feel like I'm not making any connections here despite me participating in one of the various youth groups here. I just feel so alone and left out, not to mention my roommate straight up lied to me about being a Christian. I don't know what to make of my thoughts right now, it's all a bit of a blur as my emotions conglomerate into one big mess. I try making friends, but that's always been more difficult for me.

What I really need to do is to have devotions before I go to class in the morning. The youth group is helping, but I still feel lonely here.

6. Matoro

Matoro Toa of Ice

Well we're all glad you're here :)

But srsly, how does one lie about being a Christian? Why? What purpose does it serve? And how did you find out about that? I've never heard of anyone doing that in my life, so I'm curious. It's all good if you don't want to answer though.

7. Cometstarlight

It's ok. From what I gathered, she wanted someone who didn't go out and party a lot, drink, bring guys back to the dorm, etc. She thinks a Christian means being a 'good person'. When I brought up Sodom and Gomorra (sp?) she was at a total loss. I know there are people who don't know the Bible as well as others, so I shrugged it off.

What really set the alarm was when she was taking, "What Religion is best for you?" Quiz. To which I found out she knows absolutely nothing about any religion, including Christianity. So when I prodded further, I found out she knew nothing about doctrine or that it was even important.

She's going to Bible study now, and I try asking her about it, but she never lets on about what she learned. I don't know if she's just embarrassed or if she's just going to ease her guilty conscience, but in the end, only God knows her heart. So I have no idea where she stands. The fact that she led on to deceive me just so she could have a suitable roommate rubs me the wrong way. There are other things that have occurred, but that can wait.

8. flawlessazn

flawlessazn Spiffy ~ ^^"

Don't worry Cometstarlight, You are right, only God knows her heart. What we can do is just be friends with her and be there if she needs us.

The Holy Spirit is always there for you, and even if everyone is against you, as long as God is for you, thats all that matters.

I've been in your situation before, and being alone made me depend more on God and have more time with Him.

So just hang in there, be friendly to everyone, trust and keep the faith, and everything will turn out well ^^

9. Cometstarlight

Thanks, that really does help : ) I'll keep you guys posted.

10. flawlessazn

flawlessazn Spiffy ~ ^^"

I know that this is not important, but How many people attend your church?

We have 2 branches, our main one in the morning and one in the evening. Altogether we have about 120 people. Not that big ....

11. Steelrush

Steelrush Banned

We'll be here for you also. The lord has helped me in mysterious ways as well, and without him...well, I wouldn't be here now. I'll be here for you as well, and will help whenever I get the opportunity, and will without a doubt pray for you.

12. Roseheart95

Roseheart95 El Psy Congroo

Praying for you, Cometstarlight.

I must say, our church is tiny. We get maybe 10-30 people usually, but it's been getting busier lately.

13. Dread Advocate

I say no. As with practically everything else, simply knowing isn't enough. You have to apply that knowledge somehow. And when it comes to Christianity, you must apply the theology and doctrines to every aspect of your life. No compromises, no exceptions. How else can one expect to live a Christ-centered life and be the beacon that we're called to be?

How many people attend your church?

About 300 on average. I think.

Cometstarlight likes this.
  14. Pikawho?

Pikawho? (five15)

Welcome to the club, shiningjolteon! I hope you enjoy your time here. =)

I agree with DA. Knowledge means nothing if you can't apply it. It can't be an "oh that's nice. *continues scrolling*" type deal. There needs to be action otherwise there won't be a deep understanding.

How many people attend your church?

I honestly don't know. Somewhere between 300-500 people. It's not a mega-church but it's not a small church either. Although lately I've been seeing attendance dropping...

Which technologies does your church use?

We have electronic projectors for worship. The church also has a website and FB page. Lately a friend of mine, who's heavy into video-recording, has started live-streaming messages to the church's website.

15. crobatman

Our church is about 80 members, but about 45 of them are attending regularly. I see a drop in attendance over the years too. Sometimes, it is better in the fall season though.
    Why is it not enough for a Christian to simply know theology? Putting our faith in action is greater than simply keeping our knowledge in our heads. I feel when we do bible studies, we need to put a focus on their relevance to our lives. I learned in my education courses that knowledge is the lowest level of thinking order. Also, 1 Corinthians 13 says we should have love! I see a lot of knowledgable Christians, but they act like lemons, with too much judgment on sinners...

16. flawlessazn

flawlessazn Spiffy ~ ^^"

I wonder why the drop is happening in most churches these days ...

Maybe people feel that going to Church is just like a routine and that they can't be bothered anymore .. =(

17. Dread Advocate

I've seen the level of attendance at my church fluctuate greatly over the past 15 years. When I first started attending, we averaged about 600 or so. After Dr. Bob left, we dropped to about 400. By the time Marty came, we were at about 250. Marty practically split the church in half less than a year later because of the way he wanted things done. He left, and for the next year and a half, we dropped from 250 to barely 100. Now we have Kevin, who picked up the Student Pastor position about the same time Marty picked up Senior Pastor, and we're up to the 300 or so I mentioned in my previous post.

18. crobatman

Well, it's all about priorities. The drop is happening mostly from my generation in the 18-30 years age group. People are busy, have other things to do, or some other lame excuse. In my opinion, the biggest problem is apathy in the USA. Perhaps, people in mainstream Christianity were not taught to continue in their faith.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it." ~ Proverbs 22:6

I say apathy from my perspective as an American, but I bet it is different in other countries. Check this image out:
    [​IMG]

19. ⊱✿RedAshEntropy

⊱✿RedAshEntropy · MultiShipper ·

Which technologies does your church use?

We mainly use projectors for the worship service and also as a music accompaniment for the choir.

I guess I couldn't agree more with everyone's answers. It's about applying what you know in action, keeping the faith in action. It's not enough if we just learned something without doing anything it, it's a matter of how much we understand and kept in mind at the same time we've done something good about it. Keeping the faith and trusting him and continue the communication with Him through prayers and reading His words.. I pretty much agree with everyone.:)

20. crobatman

On another note, I wish people would get as concerned about Jesus coming back as they do about a government shutdown. Just saying.

:p Social Media is fun to watch during times like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.