1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

SPPF Christian Alliance

Discussion in 'Clubs' started by Pikawho?, Nov 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steampunk

Steampunk One Truth Prevails

Still not sure if I actually want to join. But say I did, how would I? I don't see a sign up form.

And yes I am a Christian, just in case you're wondering.

2. crobatman

crobatman Well-Known Member

Just say something like this: Hey, I would like to join this club! I am a Christian too!

Then, you are in the club. Just add to the discussion, or make new topics. Pikawho? will update the list eventually.

3. Dread Advocate

Dread Advocate †Stay Metal†

I hate to be the party pooper, Crobatman, but there is no evidence to support Alexander Tytler said that. Not to mention that according to that picture, he said it in 1750, but he was born in 1747. Either he was a highly intelligent three-year-old, or somebody else said that and was never credited.

4. crobatman

He is the smartest three yr old ever! I wonder who did say it though because it is an awesome quote.

I will just stick to quoting the bible then. Judges is a perfect example of that type of cycle. I did a fun study about it a few years ago. It showed how bad Israel was at the time...

New topic: Which game are you getting first? X or Y?

I pre-ordered Y version, but now I want to get both at the same time!

5. flawlessazn

flawlessazn Spiffy ~ ^^"

Hmmm ... Me personally, I would find out what are the exclusive pokemon to each versions and decide from there.

I always chose the version that have the more appealing ones or the more appealing legendary for myself.

So yes, I will wait a bit after it comes out so that all this info is clear ... =D

6. Chimungus

Chimungus Well-Known Member

Definitely X. I guess it's just because I like Xerneas' design a alot better than Yveltals'!

Another topic: What are your favorite Gen 6 Pokemon so far?
    I really like Froakie and its evolution, also I love Amaura and it's evo. It's so cute! I also really like Talonflame.

7. Steampunk

Hey, I would like to join this club! I am a Christian too!
    ...a little too hyper for my tastes, but it'll do. XD
    I personally love the Mega Absol, and Noivern.

8. Dread Advocate

Which game are you getting first? X or Y?
    I'll get both eventually, but I'm going with Y for now simply because my brother wants X. I'm rather indifferent either way.

What are your favorite Gen 6 Pokemon so far?
    The starters, of course. And I do like Doublade because it has Starfleet's insignia on it. Not a fan of any of the megalutions because I see the entire concept as a terrible, game-breaking gimmick. I'm glad it's optional.

9. crobatman

I did not notice the Starfleet insignia on Doublade. Nice! Might be because I do not watch Star Trek.

I like Noivern's design so far, but I am hoping there are other cool looking ones too. I like Froakie as a ninja frog because it reminds me of Naruto.

10. Pikawho?

Pikawho? (five15)

Which game are you getting first? X or Y?

I'm getting Y first. Simply because I like the main legendary better. I do intend to buy X. I'll use it for challenges and such.

I've only seen a handful of the new pokes. Trying not to spoil too much. lol

11. ArceusAlpha493

ArceusAlpha493 Benevolent Creator

I preordered both X and Y earlier this year.

I have not decided favorites yet.

Now another topic:

Have you had your faith attacked by someone on other internet forums or other places like Devianart? And how do you deal with them?

The reason I bring this up is that me and Steelrush have encountered some nasty antitheists on DA which is hostile to Christians and there are more anti religion stamps than supporting them. Also the admin on there is an antitheist and encourages anti religion things. Yahoo news articles are also bad as well too and don't forget Youtube comments.

12. Cometstarlight

Cometstarlight What do I do now?

Ugh, got attacked on DA within my first week of starting (a month ago) And I got MAJORLY attacked here on Serebii last year. I still have the whole deal recorded in my PM's in case he comes back. He messaged me because, at the time, I had a banner that had a Victini on it that said, "Victory in Jesus". The guy flipped out saying that I needed to take it down, and when I calmly refused, he told me to go kill myself, that he hoped I would die soon, that the world was better off without me. Keep in mind he did all this while promoting Atheism in his sig. When I told him I wasn't going to take my banner down and that he would have to deal with it he said, "I can't have you converting people" 0_o Really man?

I messaged a mod an he stopped under the guise that he was too cool to deal with me, but I know the mod threatened to ban him.

13. ArceusAlpha493

ArceusAlpha493 Benevolent Creator

Could you tell me and Steel your experiences via VM or PM?

http://www.serebiiforums.com/member.php?324606-Steelrush

Anyone else had some experiences?

14. Cometstarlight

Cometstarlight What do I do now?

15. crobatman

It's just a part of this world. When I first joined Serebii in 2006, I was always in the debate forums. Being an 18yr old then, I was not afraid to tackle the debates. Now, I have learned that those silly debates will really get us nowhere. You can not argue anyone into heaven. I think I was just being prideful by saying "your wrong, I'm right!" The best way to show people Christ is to demonstrate His love. However, as a Christian, we should continually study His Word so that we can prepare for the fiery darts of the wicked one. Most spiritual warfare is going to take place in the mind, so it is best to build up our defenses by reading scripture in order to be able to know the answers. Let them attack us. They will learn who is wrong eventually.

Cometstarlight likes this.
  16. Matoro

Matoro Toa of Ice

I'm sorry but I must respectfully disagree with this. I personally base my faith entirely on the logical evidence of God's existence and His authority. If there was no reasonable evidence, just some people telling me that this guy loves me, I see no reason to believe them, and I dislike people who have no place for reason. I think that if someone asks you why you believe something you should be able to answer them clearly, concisely, and correctly. If they present evidence that nulls your arguments you should stop believing in the original thesis until you find counterpoints to those arguments. I think that Jesus wants people to come to Him because they discover Him through thinking about it, not through someone telling them to. Also, someone who takes the high-and-mighty position of "Well you'll see. I'll go to heaven and you won't. You'll see when you're dead" is actually turning others away. As to where you said that you cannot argue anyone into heaven, I personally was first convinced to truly believe by the arguments of Thomas Aquinas, who I hold in great esteem. Up till then anything my pastor said has little effect on me, and I still believe what I believe because I can to the best of my logical ability prove it to be true.

17. Dread Advocate

This oh so very much. I'm the kind of person who thinks a lot, especially about how things work. This makes it exceedingly difficult for me in my walk with Christ, but when I think long enough and search for answers about whatever is bothering me about the faith, I do find them. Here's a site I found that's handy for Christians like Matoro and I.

To answer your first question, Dialga's, yes I have. Once by a friend on Facebook, several times again on Facebook but by a different person, and once here.
    The friend and I debated it, and we eventually agreed to disagree.
    The other person on Facebook, however, only spouted hate and aggression. She had confronted me with the same hate and aggression several times in real life before deciding to assault me with malice on Facebook. I unfriended her, and haven't made any contact with her since we graduated in 2011.
    The one time it happened here, I made a topic of the debate with the friend in this club. One of the more... aggressive members of the atheism club read what I said and verbally assaulted me in VMs. I asked him to stop being hateful and if he wanted to have a calm conversation about it. He replied with, "I don't have intelligent, calm conversations with people who openly state they are insulted by someone's religious choice, which you said you AND your friend were. Don't VM me again." This person hasn't been active on the forums since then.

18. Chimungus

Chimungus Well-Known Member

This sounds just like me. I'm someone who overthinks things waayyy too much, especially when it comes to faith-related issues. But I've learned there is so much evidence for Jesus being who he is and not only evidence that appeals only to our logical thinking side, but evidence that appeals to our emotional side as well, both providing us with a reason as to why we believe what we believe. By the way, that's a really cool site!

19. Steampunk

On here a few times, currently in the debate forum. But I try to calmly explain my faith, and reasons behind it. They can believe me or not, but I have to tell them. I currently am debating several topics, but in one im not really discussing the bible, but whatever.

Not really on other sites.....cuz I rarely am on other sites XD

20. crobatman

I am not sure if we disagree here, because what you write is good stuff too. Just telling people, "Jesus loves you, and has a wonderful plan for your life!" will not do anything. The logic comes by explaining what Jesus saved us from. It is up to the people to accept this truth by faith. It is God's grace that brings us to him though. The way you came to faith is different than the way I did though. It is what makes us all unique! Also, one very funny thing about us humans, is that the evidence for God and His authority is OVERWHELMING! Romans 1:20 says this, "For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse" The problem is that there are many that misinterpret the evidence out there. We have to help them by showing how the Biblical Worldview supports the evidence. This is done best by training up people in the faith. Offering answers to people looking for the truth. Those who already shut down our responses are not going to listen. Jesus could be right in front of them, and they still would not believe.

Logic is important, but it can be an idol too. There needs to be a balance between Faith and Reason. I feel we should study apologetics, but not to attack back at anti-theist or non-Christians. It is so we can defend scripture and our faith. "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth." ~ 2 Timothy 2:15.

I am a pretty logical guy too, and Jesus was also. He was a very philosophical man using the Socratic method in answering questions. I admire that. I believe the scripture are God's word because of my Faith. If I went by my own reasoning though, I would not do the godly things that he tells us about in the greatest commandments. "For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God." ~ 1 Corinthians 1:18. Why should I sacrifice my time to care for people in the world? Why should I feed the hungry? Why do I need to tell others about the gospel? None of this benefits me. There is little human reasoning to it. However, Christ commands it. If Christ can suffer the persecution of the Cross, then maybe I can do something as miniscule as donating some money to the church. Agape love is the best.

Logic works when we agree on the terms also. Many of those anti-theists that we debate will not accept our counter arguments that use scripture to discuss evidence. Therefore, our greatest weapon (the sword) is taken away from us if we do not use it. However, I can be logical with fellow Christians.

"But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
    Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ." 1 Peter 3:15-16

They can not null our argument if we back it with scriptural support. That is where our "circular reasoning" begins, but it is right and a valid argument. God is the ultimate authority, and that is what makes so many of the anti-theists angry with our position.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.